Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
FFX's voice acting was doomed from the start by all the characters being awful unlikeable whiners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ffx's japanese voice acting is even worse than the english voice acting tbh

you could tell that the writers have never written for voice-acting before and combined with their weird emphasis on getting the mouth movements exactly right and emphasizing the mouth movements every line is enunciated really weirdly and the voice actors clearly have no idea what to do with their material

the ffx english dub is just a bunch of b-list actors not getting paid enough to care, but they sometimes stumble into decent lines. and the x-2 dub is pretty okay.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

ffx's japanese voice acting is even worse than the english voice acting tbh

It's one of the worst Kazuya Nakai performances I've ever heard and you're talking to a dude who loves Kazuya Nakai

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Baal posted:

It's one of the worst Kazuya Nakai performances I've ever heard and you're talking to a dude who loves Kazuya Nakai

the worst kazuya nakai performance ive heard is him as one of the bad guys in a sailor moon movie

he sounded like he was dying from a drug overdose

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, FFX's voice acting is loving awful in Japanese. Tidus is terrible and there's a reason Yuna basically voices Yuna and nobody else, and the voice direction is just a mess

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
*posts ffx's laugh scene*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

El Hefe posted:

*posts ffx's laugh scene*
my fave. thing is that the lead translator for ffx got asked about that and was just 'uh, yeah, it was just kind of a dumb scene even in japanese'

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
FFX's voice acting is a case of solid talent giving a solid job being directed terribly. This is a problem with Final Fantasy in general (also see- FFXIII, which like FFX had the voice direction in the US lead/heavily influenced by a non-native English speaker) where they get people giving characters great tone but the delivery comes off as stilted, insincere, or hollow.

That said, FFX doubled-down on the bad direction by forcing the English actors to use the Japanese lip animations, leading to stuff like Yuna cramming the two-syllable 'okay' repeatedly into places where the one-syllable 'hai' used to be and it coming out more like a sneeze then an actual word.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 26, 2016

MisterAlex
Dec 4, 2004

For Blood, Comic Mischief, Mature Humor, Nudity, Strong Language, Suggestive Themes, Use of Alcohol, and Intense Violence.

Online Interactions Not Rated.

Endorph posted:

the x-2 dub is pretty okay.
Oh, heck yeah. It's worlds better than the first game. I also liked that FFX-2 didn't have doom-and-gloom looming in the background of the story. It was a fun change after Sin (not to say I didn't love FFX, of course).

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HGH posted:

Japanese Tidus sounds like a crow.
Speaking of which
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOzM4ClFG1o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIh6sXRM_yQ

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Endorph posted:

the ffx english dub is just a bunch of b-list actors not getting paid enough to care

john dimaggio is a treasure

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I have low dub standards and I thought X was fine. Only Yuna really bothered me and she was mostly fine in X-2.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

This makes me quite hppy

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Mr. Locke posted:

That said, FFX doubled-down on the bad direction by forcing the English actors to use the Japanese lip animations, leading to stuff like Yuna cramming the two-syllable 'okay' repeatedly into places where the one-syllable 'hai' used to be and it coming out more like a sneeze then an actual word.

Apparently that wasn't just because of the mouth flaps, although that was one consideration; the engine was also written in such a way that all English audio lines had to be the exact same length as the Japanese ones or the game would crash.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Thuryl posted:

Apparently that wasn't just because of the mouth flaps, although that was one consideration; the engine was also written in such a way that all English audio lines had to be the exact same length as the Japanese ones or the game would crash.

that's amazing

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

In Training posted:

THanks. Think it would work well on Remote Play? Ill probably get the PS4 version but play exclusively from bed/sofa in a different room if the control scheme is amenable to the Vita

I found the controls a tiny bit finicky on the Vita sticks, but ymmv, and R2/L2/L3 aren't used for anything. R3 resets camera distance I guess, but I never really use it.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That's also sadly true of many modern games. For stuff like Cold Steel such things are the norm. XSeed went into it in detail on their blogs, especially with fitting shorter voice clips.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Thuryl posted:

yeah that, uh, isn't really unique. iunno about 'crash' but a lot of japanese games just aren't made with a dub in mind, period.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Remember the amazing crash bug in Ar Tonelico 2?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

LODGE NORTH posted:

You can use your PS3

there's also version spoofing

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Charles Get-Out posted:

I found the controls a tiny bit finicky on the Vita sticks, but ymmv, and R2/L2/L3 aren't used for anything. R3 resets camera distance I guess, but I never really use it.

Good to hear about R2/L2, I can never use the read touchpad for stuff reliably.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

effed up that falcom would steal lines from my one man show

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Neptune vs Sega Hard Girls limited edition is almost sold out. 10% stock remains.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The guy who developed CFW for PSP is working on porting the CFW emulator for vita over to henkaku

So that's a thing that's gonna be rad as gently caress

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

i'm just waiting to be able to play the phantasy star portable games on my vita again :(

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

voltcatfish posted:

i'm just waiting to be able to play the phantasy star portable games on my vita again :(

Yeah that's what's going to be possible soon!

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

there's also version spoofing

For the Vita? When did this happen? I haven't played my Vita in a solid few weeks because I was waiting for version spoofing.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

LODGE NORTH posted:

For the Vita? When did this happen? I haven't played my Vita in a solid few weeks because I was waiting for version spoofing.

Version spoofing has been around since Henkaku v5 or so (couple weeks). You can connect to psn on 3.60. Now if you're in molecular shell or something it will show up as that on your friends list so there's always a chance sony could ban your system/psn account.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

havenwaters posted:

Version spoofing has been around since Henkaku v5 or so (couple weeks). You can connect to psn on 3.60. Now if you're in molecular shell or something it will show up as that on your friends list so there's always a chance sony could ban your system/psn account.

I haven't done it because I'm scared that this would happen.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/09/26/ps-vita-a-great-machine-but-too-late-says-former-sony-exec-a-ign-unfiltered

An interview with the CEO of Sony during the time period Vita would have been actively marketed is releasing today. He says everything you know is true in the back of your mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAQnxSz-MFQ

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

If people don't want a dedicated mobile gaming device, then why is the 3DS doing so well?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Because Nintendo has what market there is sewn up, also the 3DS has sold the least of any of their handhelds because the casual market had moved on to Candy Crush.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

rip handheld games, gently caress mobile trash, etc etc :bahgawd:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

where will i get my anime titties on the go now ;_;

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Takoluka posted:

If people don't want a dedicated mobile gaming device, then why is the 3DS doing so well?

At the time they knew they had to be cheaper than a $200 iPod touch to make sales and quickly dropped the price and by 2013 had a $120 (regularly on sale for $99) model with Pokemon. Sony on the other hand kept their system $300 (after barebones 4gb memory and one game) up until the end of 2013, at which point they were getting ready for a $400 PS4.

Takoluka posted:

DMM Games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgvUdwFYEfg

Dehry fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Sep 27, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Takoluka posted:

japanese itunes

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Lo_ouve/status/780704765340684288

The wait is killing me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sony is really bad at selling handhelds and I don't think they understand how to make them work financially

the 3ds launch was also really bad but nintendo actually put a lot of effort into turning it around. sony didn't even ship launch vitas with the ability to play games (you needed a memory stick and those didn't ship with the system) and they barely did anything to fix that position

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

sony didn't even ship launch vitas with the ability to play games (you needed a memory stick and those didn't ship with the system)

I didn't know about this holy poo poo :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Some games worked without, if they had the optional save capacity on their game card.

So like, two of them.