Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

A few weeks ago I managed to get my hands on an old Pocher kit from the 70s, a 1932 Rolls Royce Sedanca Phantom II in 1:8.

This 2200 part multimedia kit is notoriously difficult to build in that every single part needs to be carefully reworked to make things actually fit together. The 40 years since its production have also made the plastic quite brittle, so this should be interesting.

On the other hand this kit builds up into one of the most finely detailed car models ever produced. I am extremely lucky that this particular version of the kit is one of the very few surviving ones featuring real leather for upholstering the seats.

Due to the nature of this build and the amount of reworking that needs to be done (I have a DVD with several thousand images describing the necessary changes), it is unlikely there will be as frequent updates as there were for the Aventador.

I do however have a sneak preview of the crank shaft, itself composed of 25 parts alone.

Greyhawk fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Holy poo poo, good luck.

Is 1:8 a popular scale for cars? It's weird that cars are 1:8, but motorcycles are 1:9.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

Holy poo poo, good luck.

Is 1:8 a popular scale for cars? It's weird that cars are 1:8, but motorcycles are 1:9.

Most regular plastic car kits are 1:24, big scale stuff seems to come in all sorts of scales though. Strangely, pre-painted scale model cars come in completely different scale ranges: Mostly 1:18, 1:43 and 1:64.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Holy poo poo, good luck.

Not really. 1/12 is by far the most popular "big scale".

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Holy poo poo, good luck.

Thanks. I'll need it.

One of the nice things about this kit is that anything that moves in a real Phantom II, moves in the kit.

Here's the crankshaft installed in the upper engine block awkwardly filmed with my phone (needed a third hand here really)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-h3UtQT8fw

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Daaamn. You gonna do a cutaway or what? It'd be a shame to assemble it completely only to hide all that movable goodness.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

The oil pan can be made removable so one can look at the crankshaft turning. However with the age of the kit the plasric is really too brittle for that option to be an option.

There's lots and lots of other moving parts though that will be visible like the brakes actually engaging on all four wheels when one presses the brake pedal.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Probably the best place to ask, but feel free to shoo me away if not...

I saw on a video of a guy building a Gundam Gusion Rebake 1/100 (which was all in chinese...) he had this liquid with a dropped that was ultra-thin and at a right angle. It filled in paint or ink or something into the recessed lines of the model. It kinda just flowed in there and filled the gaps.

Anyone know what that is? And any tips on using it?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Feenix posted:

Probably the best place to ask, but feel free to shoo me away if not...

I saw on a video of a guy building a Gundam Gusion Rebake 1/100 (which was all in chinese...) he had this liquid with a dropped that was ultra-thin and at a right angle. It filled in paint or ink or something into the recessed lines of the model. It kinda just flowed in there and filled the gaps.

Anyone know what that is? And any tips on using it?

Some kind of panel liner wash? You can probably get a similar effect with a long thing brush and a wash.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

lilljonas posted:

Some kind of panel liner wash? You can probably get a similar effect with a long thing brush and a wash.

Yeah I just went back and looked at the video and it was called like, Panel Line Accent Color.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Feenix posted:

Yeah I just went back and looked at the video and it was called like, Panel Line Accent Color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPFANkX5bW4

This stuff?

It should be available readily in US/Canada. Not sure about the rest of the world

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Gunpla thread might have more specific info, but it does sound like a plain old wash.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Arquinsiel posted:

The Gunpla thread might have more specific info, but it does sound like a plain old wash.

Sorry I didn't know there was a thread for that... thanks all for the info... :)

[edit] Last question, since we made it this far. Any idea if Hobby Lobby carries this stuff? It's not on Amazon Prime.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 20, 2016

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Feenix posted:

Sorry I didn't know there was a thread for that... thanks all for the info... :)

[edit] Last question, since we made it this far. Any idea if Hobby Lobby carries this stuff? It's not on Amazon Prime.

That's because it's in ADTRW, and who goes in there?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3678195

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Feenix posted:

There's a good chance you'll find it somewhere. Tamiya are a general real world subject model company mostly, so you'll probably find at least some of thier stuff in your local model shop. That might allow you to special order it in.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Feenix posted:

It's not on Prime, but it is free shipping.. just not super fast!

https://www.amazon.com/TAMIYA-Panel...ne+accent+color

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Another diorama done.

Lots more photos here: http://imgur.com/a/9mtYP

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Nice work. The only thing I could really suggest (as someone who could never make that diorama, so take it for what it is) is to make it look 'dirtier'. Everything just looks... clean.

I really love what you are doing with the crew figures and the 'story' though. Great work.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nice job EE. Did you make those shell marks yourself?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Nice work. The only thing I could really suggest (as someone who could never make that diorama, so take it for what it is) is to make it look 'dirtier'. Everything just looks... clean.

I really love what you are doing with the crew figures and the 'story' though. Great work.

Really? Weird, I rubbed a shitton of gray pigments over the tank and environment to simulate dust. I guess I could use some more debris.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Nice job EE. Did you make those shell marks yourself?

The turret came like that (Verlinden Point Blank series), but the splash mark on the front of the hull and the penetration in the side are mine. The tank came to me half-built and missing a headlight, so instead of scrounging through my spares bin I decided to do something different.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Hi all, I haven't posted or painted anything for a while but just did up a freebie 28mm Gamesworkshop model that came with there new White Dwarf magazine. Thought I would share for sharing sake.

The last picture is crap 'cos I snapped it at midnight last night when I finished him. Will try to take on in proper light soon.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Looks metal as gently caress, I like it.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Really? Weird, I rubbed a shitton of gray pigments over the tank and environment to simulate dust. I guess I could use some more debris.

Yeah, I think the clean feeling is from how the ground is very clear of debris, which wouldn't be the case unless it was very early in the war and they were just rolling in on a particularly clean city on a really good day. There should just be more detritus to give the street that lived-in feel. Those sandbags and machine gun look like they were just plopped down ten minutes ago and then abandoned as soon as the tanks hoved into view. Got any scatter sand you could pile up around that emplacement? Empty casings? Wrappers from a candy bar the machine gunner was eating before being surprised by enemy armor?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
The idea is that the MG crew didn't put much faith into their Panzerfaust support and booked it as soon as the tank showed up like you said.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

During modifications, fitting and testing a rare chance to ogle at Pochers exquisite detail work on the cylinder head before it all disappears forever under the covers.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Hot drat! One day I'll make one of these gently caress off huge Pocher kits. Nice start!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Make an animated gif of that thing working or something.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

There'll be a video of hot rod on piston action soon

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
EE are those figures from one of the MasterBox sets? Those things kick rear end.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

EE are those figures from one of the MasterBox sets? Those things kick rear end.

Yup, "Bail Out Kursk 1943". MasterBox figures are probably the most best on the market right now, both in quality and variety of poses. Plus they make things that aren't the fifteen millionth Wehrmacht/SS kit like Dragon.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I threw some debris onto the diorama as advised. I think it looks pretty okay.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

I like it.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

That debris really tied the whole thing together for me. Before it looked a bit too clean and toy like.
Excellent work.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

Definitively an improvement

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The flesh on those mans is really nice EE, well done mate.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I was at an airshow today with a couple of Avengers, a P51D, and most importantly, a couple of T6s, one of which I took a flight in. Ton of fun. Now I know what my next model is gonna be.

Greyhawk
May 30, 2001

15% done with the Soleil Royal. The basic hull structure is all done. Next up is putting in some gratings, then the upper half will be faired for.... well, not exactly the first planking, but some gun port templates instead which will take the guesswork out of the positions of gun ports when the actual first planking goes on. A kind of underplanking kinda.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Looking good, but I'm going to say that 15% complete (at least in terms of time) is wildly optimistic when you haven't laid a single plank. :v:

Once you have worked on the planking for a while, I'd be interested in a review of that building slip thing. I've looked at them, but I tend to work with my ships upside down on a towel or on my lap so I can flip them around to whatever position is the most comfortable for what I'm currently doing, so I haven't pulled the trigger on one.

Also, going to the NRG conference in San Diego next week, and Sherline will be there as a vendor with demonstrations. If they have a discount for show attendees, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a 2000 series mill. RIP my wallet. :shepspends:

The Locator fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Sep 26, 2016

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

This is really excellent, great job! I'm planning a Korea diorama for this Walker Bulldog I put together a couple months ago. It's a lot harder to visualize than a WW2 diorama! I guess I don't know enough about the Korean War to imagine something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

The Locator posted:

Also, going to the NRG conference in San Diego next week, and Sherline will be there as a vendor with demonstrations. If they have a discount for show attendees, I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a 2000 series mill. RIP my wallet. :shepspends:

So how long until you're just building tiny ships from historical blueprints and raw lumber?

:v:

"You still buy kits?"