Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I have a problem. I can't stop buying phones. I ordered the 250 dollar 64GB Moto G4 Plus from Amazon last night. It will be my 3rd phone in 10 months, and surprisingly, the most expensive one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

ilkhan posted:

iCrap 7+

omg u win the interwebs have mAh babiez

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

SouthLAnd posted:

I have a problem. I can't stop buying phones. I ordered the 250 dollar 64GB Moto G4 Plus from Amazon last night. It will be my 3rd phone in 10 months, and surprisingly, the most expensive one.

You should change your username to "mildsauce"

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Man the Note 7, when it doesn't explode, has amazing battery life. I got around 5.5 hours screen on time yesterday, put it on to charge at the power saving mode warning at 15%.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

XIII posted:

You should change your username to "mildsauce"

:golfclap:

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Anyone else got a Oneplus 3? I just ordered one and would like to hear if it's actually terrible before mine ships.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

wouldn't it have made more sense to ask that question before ordering it

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I've read a lot of reviews, watched tear down videos, photo comparisons etc and it looks great for the price. Just wondering if there is some big pitfall during actual real goon use that the reviews don't pick up on. Doesn't ship for a couple of weeks at least so I have time to cancel.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Berious posted:

I've read a lot of reviews, watched tear down videos, photo comparisons etc and it looks great for the price. Just wondering if there is some big pitfall during actual real goon use that the reviews don't pick up on. Doesn't ship for a couple of weeks at least so I have time to cancel.

This isn't the best place to ask, as anyone will tell you that any phone that's not a Nexus is poo poo, except for the occasional post praising Samsung's top-tier phones. All I can say is it's been reviewing well across the board.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Berious posted:

Anyone else got a Oneplus 3? I just ordered one and would like to hear if it's actually terrible before mine ships.
This thread has lingering hatred for OnePlus due to their past mistakes but the fact is the OP3 is a loving great phone. My only minor complaint is I would prefer a slightly bigger battery instead of it being so thin.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Welp. My 5x bricked itself. gently caress LG. Possibly gently caress Nexus.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Are they bricking upon a firmware update, or just randomly?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

azurite posted:

Are they bricking upon a firmware update, or just randomly?

It's happening a bunch after the Nougat update but Google claims it's a hardware issue.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The LG bootloop is a feature.

That feature being "Hey, don't ever buy an LG phone again". :downsrim:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I've been on Nougat for a few weeks. I was just scrolling down Facebook and it locked up and shut down. It boot looped on the "Google" screen a few times before it powered back on, had about 1 minute of use before it did it again. Then it boot looped a bunch of times for a while. I tried going into recovery, but then it boot looped some more, and ceased working. No more boot loops, buttons don't do anything.

I went through Nexus support and someone called me back almost immediately. (I swapped my SIM to my OG Moto X so they could call me. I really like how small this old phone is.) They said this is a known issue, and are escalating it. They asked for my IMEI number, which I'm glad I kept the box because I don't know how else I would get it. The next level support is supposed to contact me within 24 hours and process a replacement phone. The replacement phone will not be on Nougat, and they are advising that I do not update the new phone.

The support guy has been very helpful and transparent about the issue.

Overall, so far this has been the best support experience I have had.

Kinda glad that I'm getting a replacement because the ear speaker was all static and distortion, the back was stained from that Diztronic case, and it would only do "charging rapidly" with the plug positioned on one side. If I flip the plug over, its just "charging." I've tried new plugs and cables and all that.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kinda glad my N5 isn't getting it then. :haw:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Looks like you got Nexus'd

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

Looks like you got Nexus'd

You can imagine how I feel about Nexus after my previous Nexus was the Galaxy Nexus.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FogHelmut posted:

You can imagine how I feel about Nexus after my previous Nexus was the Galaxy Nexus.

I blame Samsung

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

I'm so sorry.

Time to get on that sweet Samsung train!

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

For real though, its so easy to use this old Moto X one handed.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
My takeaway from this thread is everyone wishes the newest Moto G was the next Nexus device.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

mango sentinel posted:

My takeaway from this thread is everyone wishes the newest Moto G was the next Nexus device.

I mean, it has a less powerful processor, less ram, and a lower resolution display than than the 2 year old Nexus 6.

And doesn't have a USB type C port.

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.

Syrinxx posted:

This thread has lingering hatred for OnePlus due to their past mistakes but the fact is the OP3 is a loving great phone. My only minor complaint is I would prefer a slightly bigger battery instead of it being so thin.

Have you experienced a lot of bugs? Wifi issues etc.? I'm also considering a OP3 and I've read confusing things. It's reviewed really well with critics but a lot of users seem to be reporting bugginess and instability. But the bugs themselves are inconsistent, ever person who says they get a bug is met with someone saying they don't. It makes it hard to uh, settle, on a decision.

e: mmm posted early by accident. finished the post.

QueerPope fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 26, 2016

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

The second I opened the page and saw that the header image showed a Nexus 5 instead of a Nexus 5x, I lost any interest to read the article.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Sereri posted:

The second I opened the page and saw that the header image showed a Nexus 5 instead of a Nexus 5x, I lost any interest to read the article.

Since you're being a lazy pedant and I'm feeling generous, here's the actual info with confirmation from a Google employee in it: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/kaMOvuf093Q

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

On the other hand, since I broke down and flashed the NRD90U OTA to my 6p, I've been getting way better battery life.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Oh great, Nexus 5X going seppuku at random with Nougat. Just what I need.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The good thing is that the Nexus 5x was released Oct 22, so all of them are with in the one year warranty.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Kinda half tempted to just sell the 5x they're gonna send me and sit out a month and wait for the Pixel phone so I can continue this process of self flagellation.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Broke down and got an Xperia x cause it was on sale and the pixel is sounding worse and expensive
Much better than moto x 2014 and what a gorgeous screen

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

QueerPope posted:

Have you experienced a lot of bugs? Wifi issues etc.? I'm also considering a OP3 and I've read confusing things. It's reviewed really well with critics but a lot of users seem to be reporting bugginess and instability. But the bugs themselves are inconsistent, ever person who says they get a bug is met with someone saying they don't. It makes it hard to uh, settle, on a decision.
The only issue I have had at all on my OP3 was when they put out an OxygenOS update and forgot to provide the checksum or whatever to Google and it made Android Pay stop working for about a week. The OP forums were talking about it and it was fixed pretty fast once the developers were made aware. There was also some improvement to the auto-brightness to make it less slow to react - I guess some people would have considered a bug but I hadn't noticed it. Seems like a lot of the bugs reported on their forums are fringe use cases like a guy running rooted with 2 sims in sub-saharan Africa or whatever.

Otherwise I use the phone with an array of Bluetooth devices, I run a lot of games and social apps and the typical array of other stuff. Everything works fine and the wifi and cell reception (Cricket/AT&T) are just as good as the Moto X Pure I replaced. No instability of any kind in the OS. Been really happy with the phone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All kinds of stuff flying around today about Andromeda which is the project code for the merging of Android and ChromeOS. Current rumors is the new Nexus 7p will have it along with a Pixel 3 that should launch in 2017.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Desk Lamp posted:

I'm a Note user now, so I certainly don't care about getting updates on the exact day they come out. The Droid Maxx was effectively abandoned three months after it launched though, even the special snowflake American variants of the original Galaxy S got better support than that.

I doubt this is getting N but it got M. It's also had some updates after M.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Calaveron posted:

Broke down and got an Xperia x cause it was on sale and the pixel is sounding worse and expensive
Much better than moto x 2014 and what a gorgeous screen

You could not wait only 7 more days to find out?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

mango sentinel posted:

I replace my Nexus 6 with the Moto G4, it's an upgrade.

But MotoG4 has this wired problem that it doesn't let me install some apps such as BSPlayer and Moboplayer. I have no idea why.

Plus there is no root. So I am also getting a new Sam S5 to try it out.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

whatever7 posted:

I replace my Nexus 6 with the Moto G4, it's an upgrade.

But MotoG4 has this wired problem that it doesn't let me install some apps such as BSPlayer and Moboplayer. I have no idea why.

Plus there is no root. So I am also getting a new Sam S5 to try it out.

Bingo in one post, amazing.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My S5 is doing a bang up job right now and I can't see why I'd upgrade for a considerable time. It's up to date and will get N, so why not get an S5 if money is tight?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

I'm stuck having to wait until after the Andromeda announcement to get the 7+ so you actually get a chance to impress me, Google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Alan_Shore posted:

My S5 is doing a bang up job right now and I can't see why I'd upgrade for a considerable time. It's up to date and will get N, so why not get an S5 if money is tight?

Because with Samsung's terrible memory management it constantly kicks apps out of memory even with 2GB. It performs like a 1GB or less phone in terms of memory management. It's fingerprint scanner is trash compared to any modern phone. And it doesn't even support MST, one of the few potentially interesting Samsung specific things.

Is it worthless if money is tight? No. But I'm sure you can find a better not-2.5 year old phone to grab instead if money is the primary motivator.