Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm actually doing a lovely youtube series where I blind-play random licensed games, and I've been trying to avoid LJN ones because they feel too obvious, but one snuck in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWinO7SaiSg

Just wait until you get to the Gambit level. You will INVENT new swear words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

rockinricky posted:

I remember thinking "I can't wait to play as Gambit! :haw:" as a dumb babby and then being even more disappointed when I got there :smith: Come on Gambit. Don't just limply toss your cards out there. THROW them like in the comics! :argh:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

rockinricky posted:

Gambit: worst X-Man gets the worst X-Men stage.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I'm actually doing a lovely youtube series where I blind-play random licensed games, and I've been trying to avoid LJN ones because they feel too obvious, but one snuck in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWinO7SaiSg

I don't remember much about this game, and I'm sure it's awful, but this dude just sucks too.

The Dave fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 24, 2016

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
So there is one weird thing with the Blinking Light Win that I've noticed. The connector, as those who use it probably know, is very tight compared to the original NES 72 pin one. When I plug in a game with an extra thick PCB, which presumably pushes the pins out farther than normal, it sometimes stops working for a while because I can only guess the metal contacts need some time to bend back to their normal position. Maybe a couple of hours each time. Besides just waiting it out or blowing a blowdryer into the NES, is there anything I can do to maybe avoid this?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Random Stranger posted:

Gambit in NES X Men. Would it create a black hole and suck up the Earth in its sheer powers of sucky suckness? Could mankind survive? And how many times would we end up with character marriage destruction, event crossovers, and Jean Grey deaths/resurrections/not really dead retcons? (Also Deadpool specials making fun of it?)

I don't think we want to know. It is the true Lovecraftian horror.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Random Stranger posted:

How can anyone forget Maggot, the 'best' X-Man?

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Discount Viscount posted:

I credit-fed through it on the Capcom Classics Collection a couple years back and I basically agree. At least it's pretty short overall.

How'd you credit-feed through Ghosts 'N Goblins? Doesn't it have checkpoint continues? Or is the Classics Collection version different?

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016

Kid Fenris posted:

How'd you credit-feed through Ghosts 'N Goblins? Doesn't it have checkpoint continues? Or is the Classics Collection version different?

It's checkpoints, for sure. But at least it has that, and doesn't punt you back to the beginning of the stage you're playing, like Legendary Wings.

Man, I love Legendary Wing's art design. This weird grotesque neo-Greek mythology thing where the rocks themselves are alive and then there's knockoff Geiger-esque aliens scrambling around. Great stuff; I'd wonder how a modern update would take the art direction.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It's still really tough getting through G&G with unlimited credits. I couldn't do it when I tried.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

I AM THE TOILET posted:

Man, I love Legendary Wing's art design. This weird grotesque neo-Greek mythology thing where the rocks themselves are alive and then there's knockoff Geiger-esque aliens scrambling around. Great stuff; I'd wonder how a modern update would take the art direction.

Yeah, it's a cool mixture. I like how the first level starts out with a few sweeps of nondescript flying enemies, and then a GIANT FACE just rises out of nowhere. It's a good example of an arcade game catching your attention right off the bat.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Black tiger was my "so hard and now I hate it" arcade game. And then Ready Player One came out and all the hipsters love it now.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Scaramouche posted:

Black tiger was my "so hard and now I hate it" arcade game. And then Ready Player One came out and all the hipsters love it now.

And it's free on PS3!

Yeah that one is also hard as gently caress but man that guy has like the coolest weapon in any of those types of games.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I've only beaten NES GnG but I feel it's actually pretty good until the last two levels take a real sharp dive into the ground. The first four are definitely hard, but it mostly feels like your fault when you die. Then the second-to-last level has enemies constantly and randomly spawning all over the screen and the last level requires you to wait for the random AI to do exact behaviors in order to progress.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Scaramouche posted:

Ready Player One did that? I thought Black Tiger had been the cool, forgotten arcade game for a long time.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Give me your best arcade collections that were put out on 360/PS3, I could stand to pick some up.

In particular, did TMNT: The Arcade Game ever see a disc release?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Soul Glo posted:

Give me your best arcade collections that were put out on 360/PS3, I could stand to pick some up.

Nope on TMNT, it was digital-only and was delisted some time ago.

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is mostly Genesis/Mega Drive oriented as you'd think, but there's also some arcade unlockables like Shinobi and Space Harrier.

Raiden Fighters Aces (360) is a decent little collection of all three Raiden Fighters games if you're into shoot 'em ups.

Namco Museum Virtual Arcade (360) has a ton of retro Namco stuff along with some of their newer stuff like Pac-Man Championship edition (the first one) and Galaga Legions.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Is the Namco Museum on the 360 manage to actually be better than the 6 PS1 Namco Museums though, cause I don't have a terribly high impression of the other recent ones I tried.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

Is the Namco Museum on the 360 manage to actually be better than the 6 PS1 Namco Museums though, cause I don't have a terribly high impression of the other recent ones I tried.

It shares a lot with the PS1 MMs but is missing the more obscure stuff. (Assault, Genpei Toma Den, etc.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Dave posted:

I don't remember much about this game, and I'm sure it's awful, but this dude just sucks too.

Hey, I warned you that it was lovely :v:

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Soul Glo posted:

midway arcade treasures 3 is on ps2 and og xbox, maybe the og xbox one can be played on 360. its really good...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zand posted:

midway arcade treasures 3 is on ps2 and og xbox, maybe the og xbox one can be played on 360. its really good...

The first Midway Arcade Treasures, however is not backward compatible on the Xbox. Not that it's a huge loss since it's probably the height of terrible Digital Eclipse emulation.

I've been playing some of Atomic Runner and I've decided that it's Contra for people who feel the Contra series is just too easy.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

The first Midway Arcade Treasures, however is not backward compatible on the Xbox. Not that it's a huge loss since it's probably the height of terrible Digital Eclipse emulation.

I've been playing some of Atomic Runner and I've decided that it's Contra for people who feel the Contra series is just too easy.

I see your MAT and raise you Midway Arcade Origins.

How of all things do you forget to program in the superzapper button for Xybots? :psyduck:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

iastudent posted:

How of all things do you forget to program in the superzapper button for Xybots? :psyduck:

"Did you do the QA on Xybots?"

"Dude, nobody is going to play Xybots."

"Oh, right."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm playing the 3ds chibi robo game, and it's really good, but the real world products are jarring and the long in game descriptions are essentially commercials. Were the other games in the series like that?

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Soul Glo posted:

I've been meaning to do an anthology/collection post for almost 6 months now. I should really get to that.

And the 2 arcade games are unlockables on the early 00s Turtles games based on that series. Mutant Nightmare 3 on the Xbox has Turtles in Time on it. 15 bucks got me the arcade game (I presume) and an entire 05 era TMNT game as a bonus. Which beats the price of either the SNES or Genesis versions go for by like a factor of 3-4. I think the previous one has original arcade game on it. But I bought the XBLA version so I haven't been as hot on getting it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RZA Encryption posted:

I'm playing the 3ds chibi robo game, and it's really good, but the real world products are jarring and the long in game descriptions are essentially commercials. Were the other games in the series like that?

Clearly someone's never played Pikmin 2.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

This is correct.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Random Stranger posted:

Ready Player One did that? I thought Black Tiger had been the cool, forgotten arcade game for a long time.

Well yeah, but once it's in a best selling novel being adapted into a movie it's not really forgotten any more ;) ignore me, I'm just doing the "I was into them before they got big" thing

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

RZA Encryption posted:

Nope, also the other Chibi-Robo games are actually good

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Clearly someone's never played Pikmin 2.

Pikmin 2 handles the product placement stuff way better because all the text is optional and it's a tiny spaceman trying to figure out what the hell a battery is, Chibi-Robo Zip Lash makes you sit through like a solid minute of I LOVE THE DELICIOUS TASTE OF Dubble Bubble Twist GumŪ, ALL THE CHEWYNESS OF GUM BUT WITH A TWIST every time you give someone something

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 26, 2016

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Who is the rear end in a top hat that thought coloring component cables red, green, and blue was a funny thing to do when RGB output is a thing. I was looking up RGB Vs Component tonight to see what people are talking about and I had no idea they were legitimately completely different.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Why does component exist at all instead of just using rgb?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Component exists because why bother convincing North America to switch to RGB when everything is coalescing into an HDMI singularity? I am slightly worried about a future that is HDMI hookups only.

Side question that has nothing to do with anything, what are the good games on Gameboy Color specifically? I've been going through my collection lately and noticed that I have very few GBC games, roughly 8 or so, if I do not include black cart Gameboy games. Is this why GBC is lumped in with regular old GB? I'm having trouble thinking of a smash hit clear cart GBC game that isn't Pokemon Crystal.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Turbinosamente posted:

Side question that has nothing to do with anything, what are the good games on Gameboy Color specifically? I've been going through my collection lately and noticed that I have very few GBC games, roughly 8 or so, if I do not include black cart Gameboy games. Is this why GBC is lumped in with regular old GB? I'm having trouble thinking of a smash hit clear cart GBC game that isn't Pokemon Crystal.

Clear only? Probably Dragon Warrior III, Wario Land 3, Kirby Tilt N' Tumble, Mario Golf and the Zelda Oracle games. The MegaMan Xtreme games could be worthwhile, I've never played them.

The reason so many black carts do exist is to capitalise on Gameboy's install base which was probably a decade's worth once Gameboy Colour came around. I only had a pocket growing up, seeing Pokemon Silver today in colour still feels so weird to me.

woofbro fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 26, 2016

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

Dragon Warrior III is a good one. Based off the SFC version and the definitive version if you include the postgame content.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

falz posted:

Component sends less redundant info (thus needing less bandwidth and therefore less cables). Traditional RGB sends 3 nearly identical B/W copies of the same image along with sync info while Component/S-Video sends one B/W image + sync and uses the other cables for color info.

Green cable = Y: Carries both the luma (brightness) and sync signals. This is a standard B/W video signal.
Blue cable = PB: carries the difference between blue and luma.
Red cable = PR : carries the difference between red and luma.

Because Luma = PB + PR + PG, there doesn't need to be a 4th cable for green since it can be derived. (PG = Luma - PB - PR)

Note that if you combine the PB and PR signals, you get C (chrominance) which is the second pair of pins used in S-video (which carries Y and C over two pairs of pins).
You could get higher quality than Component by splitting Luma and Sync onto separate cables, but at that point you're using 4 cables and might as well send the raw RGBS signal.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

falz posted:

Probably because YPbPr was considerably more bandwidth friendly and you still don't have much video actually encoded in the full RGB color space today.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Turbinosamente posted:

Shantae :getin:

Actually Shantae has a lot of issues that make it a slog, particularly a huuuuge overworld and a day/night system that makes enemies take a shitload of hits at night. Also grinding for cash is pretty bad. Also it's like 300 goddamn dollars unless you luck the gently caress out like I did :smuggo:.

That said, the dungeons and presentation are fantastic.

The Zelda Oracle games are the obvious ones.

I hate myself so I want to get Street Fighter Alpha and Donkey Kong Country at some point.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

RZA Encryption posted:

Zip Lash is their "we're killing the franchise if this game doesn't make money" game so they pulled out all the stops to make it profitable, up to and including very unsubtle product placement. (It didn't work.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

falz posted:

Probably because component is cheaper and simpler to implement; RCA plugs (BNC connectors on PVMs and the D-Terminal connector in Japan notwithstanding), only three cables, and a defined way that is should all work, especially since there's no one RGB standard in general, and there wasn't one at all for the home entertainment space in North America. It's an improvement over composite and S-Video signals, and consumer-friendly.

While the countries in Europe got the option for RGB because of the SCART connector interface, it probably took off only because the French government mandated it on all TVs sold in France after January 1980, and other European TV manufacturers included it lest they be totally cut out of the French market. If that had not occurred, it would probably have been underutilized also.

• Locked thread