Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

DirtyFalcon posted:

I'll quit posting now.
Please don't. The RS looks so good in white.

Edit: accidental snipe. Have some STs by sunset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats all I got, sadly. I would go back to the yard to take more but it was in THE poo poo. Deep Detroit. Real deep. But the wheels were $200 with TPMS so worth it.

Speaking of winter setups, I just ordered tires from tire rack, General Altimax 185/60/15's. Set was 313 shipped, with 100 bux of prepaid visa cards on top. So my whole setup, with 80 bux or so for mounting and balancing, should be about $500. Not too shabby, now I need to order some flaps.

Heads up, you need to have taken delivery to be eligible. It's not based on date of purchase, but date of fulfilment. I just bought the same myself.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Nice wheels. I run Snettertons for winter on my R.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Abarth is almost out of warranty so it's time to start having fun.

First project: Replace stock intake with Eurocompulsion 2.1 intake.

Before:

After:

It sounds awesome and there is a noticeable power boost.

Fun!

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
My RS finished being built on 9/21. Now the long boat ride begins.

Korbin
Nov 13, 2009

SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG SWAG

blk posted:

Those of you with FiSTs, how are the interiors holding up? Any rattles?

My '14 with almost 40k is still rattle free.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

The Pell posted:

My RS finished being built on 9/21. Now the long boat ride begins.

Model year '17 or before the cutoff?
Either way, congrats I know the feeling.

Installed my mountune intake, ETS intercooler and sound suppression chamber today. Wastegate/BOV, ETS charge pipes and short shifter in the next couple of days.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

DirtyFalcon posted:

Model year '17 or before the cutoff?
Either way, congrats I know the feeling.

Installed my mountune intake, ETS intercooler and sound suppression chamber today. Wastegate/BOV, ETS charge pipes and short shifter in the next couple of days.

Before. I think mine (which was ordered back in January) is going to be in the last batch of 16s. There are 17s with build dates next week.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

All you guys with RS's are making me so jealous. I would buy one right loving now, but I can't justify buying a new car when I'm only home to drive it 2 days a week at most.

Keep posting pictures.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I finally had a chance to get up close with a blue RS in daylight today, holy crap is that sparkly.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
There was a RS at autocross this weekend. Is there camber plates for the cars yet? He really struggled to put grip down. Just seemed like a tail happy st so far. Insurance sounded rough and good tires were pricey. I'll have to see in final results where he was vs my Veloster turbo with a mild tune. drat 2dr civic si was destroying everyone though.

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 26, 2016

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Finally got the chance to install the new rear motor mount in my FoST- lots of seized bolts courtesy of Midwestern salty winter roads and the rear nut and bolt inbetween the dogbone thingy that holds the RMM to the engine and the RMM itself is total pain in the rear end to access. Would have been easier if I had ratcheting box wrenches.

I chose the Mountune RMM; heard it had a significantly stiffer bushing than stock but not like tooth-rattlingly so.

Pretty easy to notice the difference right away as I actually had the original garbo mount and not the electric Focus mount they started putting in later on in the '14 production.

look at this piece of poo poo that was cursing my engine; you can move the center piece there around with one finger- shameful

Anyways the Mountune RMM gives you a little bit of this bassy rumble at low RPMs (especially with the AC on) but it's nowhere near annoying for me. I might think again if I was creeping through stop-and-go city traffic on a daily basis but it's really not that bad. Increases in vibration at higher RPMs are there, but are so subtle I probably won't really even notice it in a few days.

Reductions in torque steer and wheel hop are the primary reason I installed this thing and that definitely happened but it also feels like the gear engagement when shifting is a little more direct as well.

The Mountune was definitely what I was looking for in terms of balancing NVH increases with performance enhancement. A RMM should probably be one of the first things you do for your FoST, especially if you have the crappy original mount.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

When I did the passenger and rear mounts on my MS3, I immediately wished I had done them sooner. Keeping the engine still makes a huge difference.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

How different is it than the late '14 mount? I have a later '14, so I assume that I have the later mount, not the really terrible one.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Hmm can't exactly say- it's definitely gonna be stiffer going by the fact that you don't get any vibes off of the eFocus mount. Depends what you're going for I guess- there are definitely stiffer mounts than the Mountune one out there for the ST but if you want minimal NVH increases then it's a good choice.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
If you want that project car, "heavy as gently caress but really controllable" feel in your FiST's clutch pedal, remove the spring. Just don't send me your ACL tear hospital bills. After getting sort of used to the econocar feel of the FiST, this is bananas heavy. My civic had a super heavy clutch though, so maybe I just need to readjust. Or get bionic legs.

I found that the FiST clutch spring causes the pedal to hop back with such violence that I was often hunting for the bite point during engagement, as my foot was coming up. On faster shifts, this extra snap back would cause the clutch to engage too fast and end up with a jerky feel. With the spring removed, that is entirely gone...I can quickly upshift without feeling like I have to slowly release the clutch pedal to avoid that jerk.

The new pedal travel is:

Top 25% - Is my foot in a pile of mushy pancakes?
Next 25% - Engagement begins, testing your strength an will as a man and a lover
Next 25% - This is as far as you need to go, hows them knee tendons jk of course they hurt but hey this is the EXACT BITE POINT SON, DANCE IN IT
Bottom 25% - wtf are you doing this is a useless waste of your strength, conserve it for rush hour

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
After driving my S13 with a haevy clutch and light flywheel, everything else is cake.

S13 is like...

Top 49% Wow nothing is happening, is the clutch broken?
Bottom 50% Whats going on here?

But that middle 1% HOLY poo poo CLUTCH IS NOW FULLY ENGAGED, HOPE YOURE READY!

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

D C posted:

After driving my S13 with a haevy clutch and light flywheel, everything else is cake.

S13 is like...

Top 49% Wow nothing is happening, is the clutch broken?
Bottom 50% Whats going on here?

But that middle 1% HOLY poo poo CLUTCH IS NOW FULLY ENGAGED, HOPE YOURE READY!

You have passed through the fire, and are ready to live dat asymmetrical leg lyfe.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I've been slowly making my way through this thread and I've been left feeling inadequate and poor, but I'd like to show off my car anyhow. I think it qualifies as a Hot Hatch.

I bought this back in December 2015 for an absolute steal $1300 after tax. Salvage title, but the only damage was a broken radiator bracket and a broken exhaust weld. The bracket was a 15 minute fix once I figured out how to do it. Didn't know how to drive a manual at the time, so I ended up learning as I took it for the OHSP inspection. The Focus SVT was the number one car I lusted for as a 13 year old way back when I first saw it in an issue of Sport Compact Car while my older friends were driving riced out ZX2s and ZX3s. It's so fun to drive and as far as I know, I have the only one in my (small) town.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I've been slowly making my way through this thread and I've been left feeling inadequate and poor, but I'd like to show off my car anyhow. I think it qualifies as a Hot Hatch.

I bought this back in December 2015 for an absolute steal $1300 after tax. Salvage title, but the only damage was a broken radiator bracket and a broken exhaust weld. The bracket was a 15 minute fix once I figured out how to do it. Didn't know how to drive a manual at the time, so I ended up learning as I took it for the OHSP inspection. The Focus SVT was the number one car I lusted for as a 13 year old way back when I first saw it in an issue of Sport Compact Car while my older friends were driving riced out ZX2s and ZX3s. It's so fun to drive and as far as I know, I have the only one in my (small) town.

Ah nice! That is a super great deal- how many miles does it have on it? Any big maintenance work you need to do (timing belt, clutch pad, gaskets anywhere)? Any other plans for it?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

PaintVagrant posted:

Thats all I got, sadly. I would go back to the yard to take more but it was in THE poo poo. Deep Detroit. Real deep. But the wheels were $200 with TPMS so worth it.

Speaking of winter setups, I just ordered tires from tire rack, General Altimax 185/60/15's. Set was 313 shipped, with 100 bux of prepaid visa cards on top. So my whole setup, with 80 bux or so for mounting and balancing, should be about $500. Not too shabby, now I need to order some flaps.

They are my fav winter tires and that is the same setup I run on my '16 FiST (also bought on Tire Rack thru a wholesale acct and picked them up 90 mins away) and also ran the same tire on my WRX.

You will love them.

Dr.Caligari posted:

My salesperson didn't gaf and said 'here's the keys, if you like it come find me and we can figure up something'.

:same:

I bought mine new and took delivery within 24hrs from the fourth Ford dealership I went to in person. The first three I went to were completely awful (and two of them had the car advertised either not on the lot or already sold). I actually got really burned out after a couple weeks and decided to take a weekend off from ST shopping and suddenly there was an eleventh hour moment at 5pm on a Sunday and everything suddenly worked out for there.

Also my salesman appeared to be an alcoholic who was definitely half in the bag when I came in to sign papers and take it away but hey they were actually straight up, competent, and didn't waste my time or hang over my shoulder and blather so I really didn't care. They didn't ask any questions when I tried to qualify for as many discounts as possible and somehow got me financing through what seems to be a private members-only military credit union. I wasted no time getting the hell out of there though once everything was good to go because I noticed the girl going back and forth between us and the back office giving him strange looks but he just kinda kept sorta dismissing her...sort of weird which led to me taking my time with the paperwork but it was all for real and had it for around high $19k OTD (ebony wheels only opt.) before MA sales tax IIRC.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I loved the SVT Focus I had a few years back. If I found one at that kind of deal I'd probably buy it. The only issues I ever had were it eating tires like crazy and something with some runners in the intake manifold or something like that. If they haven't been replaced, your motor mounts and sway bar end links are probably way beyond due. I had to do both on mine. Neither job was that hard.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

fknlo posted:

I loved the SVT Focus I had a few years back. If I found one at that kind of deal I'd probably buy it. The only issues I ever had were it eating tires like crazy and something with some runners in the intake manifold or something like that. If they haven't been replaced, your motor mounts and sway bar end links are probably way beyond due. I had to do both on mine. Neither job was that hard.

Everyone who ever mentions owning one back when new on the car/ST forums I browse tend to speak very highly of them but from what I recall they weren't really thought of as anything extraordinary back then and sort of just came and went without much fanfare at the time from what I recall.

What was it that that was so special about them? I know I've heard a few comparisons to the modern FiST which I can see, especially regarding the chassis...but anything else in particular?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mariana Horchata posted:

Everyone who ever mentions owning one back when new on the car/ST forums I browse tend to speak very highly of them but from what I recall they weren't really thought of as anything extraordinary back then and sort of just came and went without much fanfare at the time from what I recall.

What was it that that was so special about them? I know I've heard a few comparisons to the modern FiST which I can see, especially regarding the chassis...but anything else in particular?

Before it I had a mk4 GTI. The Focus was just much more raw and fun even though it was down quite a bit on hp once the GTI was chipped.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The SVT Focus is cool.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Monkey Fracas posted:

Ah nice! That is a super great deal- how many miles does it have on it? Any big maintenance work you need to do (timing belt, clutch pad, gaskets anywhere)? Any other plans for it?

Had 119,840 on the clock when I bought it and close to 123k now. I've performed all the basic maintenance that should be done, but it's probably going to be due for the front wheel bearings eventually. The previous owner put some generic short ram intake on it (which I'm planning to replace with an OEM airbox when can find one cheap enough) and a full Magnaflow cat-back, but it's kind of loud. May replace that with an FSWerks stealth exhaust in the future.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Had 119,840 on the clock when I bought it and close to 123k now. I've performed all the basic maintenance that should be done, but it's probably going to be due for the front wheel bearings eventually. The previous owner put some generic short ram intake on it (which I'm planning to replace with an OEM airbox when can find one cheap enough) and a full Magnaflow cat-back, but it's kind of loud. May replace that with an FSWerks stealth exhaust in the future.

If I remember correctly, the SVT Focus is similar to my S2K in that it's borderline maxed out from the factory without going FI so bolt ons for more/less noise aren't going to have a huge effect. It's been 5 years since I owned mine, so I could be remembering wrong though.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Looking for some suggestions regarding tire sizing for winter tires on a FoST if anyone can help shed some light. I'm going to pick up a set of wheels/tires for winter driving since I plan on keeping my new FoST for some years and it will likely see quite a bit of snow/ice/wintery stuff as a daily driver so it seems like a good investment. From what I'm reading online conventional wisdom seems to say go a size or two smaller on the wheel and a size or two higher on the tire aspect ratio so you have thinner/taller tires for getting through the snow. The likely candidate would be a 17inch wheel with 50-60aspect tires it seems. Again, this is just what I've read online so feel free to correct me.

My dilemma is that I found a local fellow selling a set of stock 2013 FoST wheels for only $400w/ TPMS sensors and some busted old tires that I would just take off of course. They are 18inches though so I wouldn't be going any smaller on the wheel size, should I still go bigger on the tire aspect? I've been comparing a lot of prices on winter tires and the 18's tires seem to be quite a bit more expensive than 17's of course, but I've found a few gems that seem to break that norm. For instance, Blizzak WS80's in 225/60/18 are only $145/ea which is $15-30 cheaper than all of the other 18in sizes for that same tire. Similarly the Wintercontact Si also have one size that is outside the norm which is 235/55/18 at $131.45/ea, again $10-30 cheaper than all the other 18in sizes. Again, with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3, 225/60/18 is $30-50 less than all the other sizes at $134.45/ea. Ultra Grip Ice WRT in 235/55(or 60)/18 also are right at $140/ea. Would a 55/60 aspect tire be too much with an 18inch wheel?

I'm not set on any particular tire yet either if anyone has suggestions. I made a huge spreadsheet with all the popular winter tires in 17/18in sizes that should fit and those were just some of the standouts as far as price comparison goes. I'm not going to pass up on a better tire for the sake of saving $40($10/tire) but if its like $200, then I can probably do without the best possible winter tire since they likely wont see more than 2000miles/year.

Edit: This is with a completely stock car by the way. So no lowering/bigger brakes/wheel spacers/anything that should affect the fitment aside from the tire sizing. Those prices also aren't factoring in some of the rebates available on Tirerack, which could net me $17.50 less per tire for the Blizzaks and $15 less per tire on the Ultra Grip Ice WRT's.

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Oct 1, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I run 235/35/19 during the summer and drop down to 235/45/17 for winter.
In theory you should increase the sideway by 5 for each size you go down.
Cheapest possible option would be to look for a set of 16" steelies if they will fit your car.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Break-in done, bolt-ons complete for now.
Base tune on and in the process of tweaking it.

Dr. Kayak Paddle fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 4, 2016

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I seem to recall someone recommending a site in here that sells Ford OEM parts wholesale but I can't recall the name (I think it was something very generic sounding though).

If it wasn't fordparts.com could somebody please point me in the right direction if they happen to know? Need to order up some rear pads/rotors very soon to replace the ones I cooked in 15k mi.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
You're probably thinking of tasca parts.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Just bought a 2017 Golf GTI Sport in Night Blue Metallic. I finally have a thread to belong to now!

Having said that. I have a couple of thoughts/questions.

1) It feels to me like the car desperately needs side skirts in body color. Nothing too extreme but the way the car looks currently bugs me. Is this easy/inexpensive to make happen? Or is it the type of thing that I will never do because the cost is too high for what is essentially inconsequential?

2) I'm not a huge fan of 18" wheels on a car this small. It looks kinda dumb. I'd love to sell these wheels and tires and buy light 17" wheels and put PSSs on them [I live in Los Angeles where it is essentially always summer, so all seasons have no appeal to me].

3) The APR stage 1 tune looks crazy appealing. I would hold off doing it for a minimum of several thousand miles to make sure everything is going fine with the car and make sure at least one normal oil change where everything is OK after a checkup. Anyone have good/bad experiences with that tune on this car? It seems almost too good to be true and so I feel quite hesitant about it.

Also, since new car, must include pictures.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

tijag posted:

3) The APR stage 1 tune looks crazy appealing. I would hold off doing it for a minimum of several thousand miles to make sure everything is going fine with the car and make sure at least one normal oil change where everything is OK after a checkup. Anyone have good/bad experiences with that tune on this car? It seems almost too good to be true and so I feel quite hesitant about it.

Not mine, but a friend has a Golf Sportwagen that he put the tune on at about 10k miles. It made a pretty big difference to me, though I have no numbers to back it up. He's had no problems with it so far; I believe he's close to 20k now. Previously he had a Neuspeed piggyback module that basically lies to the ECU about readings from the MAF. That's an alternative, easily reversible option if you don't want to try the tune. I have a similar thing on my Mini and it works alright. The difference is noticeable but not huge, and I've had no problems with it so far.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Nice car. I almost bought a red 17 Sport a few weeks ago. I would get on vwvortex and also the mk7 forums. You can both get feedback on the APR Stage 1 (I've only read good things about it) and also sell your nogaros there. I would imagine 17" rims would work just fine but don't forget you have the bigger R brakes on the front with the sport package so I would check fit.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Radiohead71 posted:

Nice car. I almost bought a red 17 Sport a few weeks ago. I would get on vwvortex and also the mk7 forums. You can both get feedback on the APR Stage 1 (I've only read good things about it) and also sell your nogaros there. I would imagine 17" rims would work just fine but don't forget you have the bigger R brakes on the front with the sport package so I would check fit.

The brakes will fit 17"s but no smaller. But with 17"s I can get 225/45 and basically have the same exact wheel/tire profile with 13% more sidewall and PSSs instead of all season Hankooks.

Selling the wheels will be hard though.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Mariana Horchata posted:

If it wasn't fordparts.com could somebody please point me in the right direction if they happen to know? Need to order up some rear pads/rotors very soon to replace the ones I cooked in 15k mi.

If not from a dealership or other offical for site, watch where you order from, the rotors are unique to the ST. I ordered from rockauto, and what they sent were for the regular fiesta. I didn't notice til I had it all taken apart and putting the new on. I then had to call around dealerships. None in my town had it, so I called Columbus dealerships (1.5+ hours away) and found a dealer that had one set, and that was only because someone ordered them and never picked them up. So yeah, like $160 and a whole day for a set of rotors.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Is there not a cheap generic blank option, like Centric or something?

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
There are on tirerack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Unless someone who has purchased can confirm they fit, I would call or email and have them double check they are the right measurement. Some places do list certain aftermarket rotors as for the ST, but they are around 2" smaller if I am remembering correctly.