Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Is the only way to get Yorshka's chime to kill her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Simply Simon posted:

*this is the Lords of the Fallen clone I'm working on, you can only use Katanas though

So, Dark Souls.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What stuff do I need to grab early for a pyromancy build? I know I have to head to Smouldering Lake for a bunch if poo poo, what do I need before that though? Any good weapons? Should I just get an Astora weapon and start enhancing it so I can Chaos enchant it soon?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Tequila Sunrise posted:

What stuff do I need to grab early for a pyromancy build? I know I have to head to Smouldering Lake for a bunch if poo poo, what do I need before that though? Any good weapons? Should I just get an Astora weapon and start enhancing it so I can Chaos enchant it soon?

RAW rear end for starter then hand axe or thrall axe chaos/dark infused and a longsword chaos/dark infused. If you want something big, carthus curved greatsword is nice infused and the Dragonslayer's Axe is a good lightning choice.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What's the infusion people tend to go with? I played sword+board last time so I'd like to use a fuckoff huge weapon this time.

Did they ever need straight swords?

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

lite_sleepr posted:

Is the only way to get Yorshka's chime to kill her?

Yes. If I recall correctly, though, it's worth it for faith builds. Very powerful and it's weapon art can heal you if you keep it equipped.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

What's the infusion people tend to go with? I played sword+board last time so I'd like to use a fuckoff huge weapon this time.

You never really "need" straight swords. Just play around with whatever weapons you want to use to as stand-ins until you meet the reqs for your "end game" kit. If you want to use bigger weapons, maybe forego shields entirely to explore some weapon arts, because it seems like two-handers tend to have more versatile abilities than their one handed counterparts, at least in terms of straight swords.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 25, 2016

monny
Oct 20, 2008

dollar dollar bill, y'all

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I'm going to assume this was an autocorrect of 'nerf', in which case: hahaha no.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is there a dark souls 2 thread? I just started it after beating 3. It seems much slower

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

RC Cola posted:

Is there a dark souls 2 thread? I just started it after beating 3. It seems much slower

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3622261

and yeah, it absolutely is.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

monny posted:

I'm going to assume this was an autocorrect of 'nerf', in which case: hahaha no.

I did mean nerf. And Christ, what's even the point of using anything else. I think I'll use Dragonslayer Axe just for style points and enchant it with Lightning.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

and yeah, it absolutely is.

It took most of its influence from DS1, whereas DS3 took most of its influence from Bloodborne. You can see this in the art direction, too: DS2 is still by-and-large dark fantasy in its aesthetic, whereas a whole bunch more of the Bloodborne Lovecraftian aesthetic has crept into DS3.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Vermain posted:

It took most of its influence from DS1, whereas DS3 took most of its influence from Bloodborne. You can see this in the art direction, too: DS2 is still by-and-large dark fantasy in its aesthetic, whereas a whole bunch more of the Bloodborne Lovecraftian aesthetic has crept into DS3.

Honestly if this were true I'd like Dark Souls 3 a lot better. My one big problem- and yes, there's a lot- is the art direction, and how it doesn't really have any. It doesn't remind me of Demon's Souls, it doesn't remind me of Bloodborne- even when it's blatantly ripping those games off- and it only kinda reminds me of Dark Souls. Most of the levels are just greasy grey smears, most of the enemies are bland grey zombies, most of the bosses are pretty much just the same knock-off of Artorias, most of the textures are flat clay-like things... and that's what it looks like when the game looks finished, which given the places they literally forgot the textures... If it actually looked like Bloodborne, or Dark Souls, or any goddamn thing besides a half-finished grey dungeon crawl, that'd be something. But, well...

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I think it deserves more credit than that. Irithyll looks great and so does the high wall of lothric when you first arrive. But way too much of the game ends up looking like the high wall. They made the environments much more detailed than the other souls games, but somehow less interesting at the same time. Can't put my finger on why, but something about it feels too repetitive. By contrast bloodborne's environments are both detailed and interesting.

Calling the bosses knock offs of artorias makes no sense either, when dark souls 3 has some very creative bosses like crystal sage, treemendous, the pope union, and abyss watchers.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I did mean nerf. And Christ, what's even the point of using anything else. I think I'll use Dragonslayer Axe just for style points and enchant it with Lightning.

Infusing it with lightning is weaker because you lose a ton of physical damage. Raw or the appropriate physical infusion is best.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vermain posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing this. Dark Souls 3 has a lot of hosed up and weird monsters sure but so did DS1. The only enemies to me that felt like they wandered straight from Bloodborne were the crucifixion victims and rat dogs. That's only because I never found any lore justifying their presence though. Neither of those take from the Lovecraftian aspects of Bloodborne either, they're just mangy beast monsters.

Actually I also disliked how almost every enemy down to the basic lovely hollows was taller than you. That was a case of asset reuse rather than art direction though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah I'm not seeing this. Dark Souls 3 has a lot of hosed up and weird monsters sure but so did DS1. The only enemies to me that felt like they wandered straight from Bloodborne were the crucifixion victims and rat dogs. That's only because I never found any lore justifying their presence though. Neither of those take from the Lovecraftian aspects of Bloodborne either, they're just mangy beast monsters.

Actually I also disliked how almost every enemy down to the basic lovely hollows was taller than you. That was a case of asset reuse rather than art direction though.

Yeah I never really got why people say DS3 is cribbing from BB. I guess cause they look similar in terms of graphic fidelity stuff but then they're games in the same genre by the same company on similar hardware so that's kind of inevitable. Like if BB were not a thing DS3 would probably end up looking much the same as it does now. And DS3 and BB have vastly different art directions, which is where you'd want similarities if you were making that kind of complaint.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Digirat posted:

I think it deserves more credit than that. Irithyll looks great and so does the high wall of lothric when you first arrive. But way too much of the game ends up looking like the high wall. They made the environments much more detailed than the other souls games, but somehow less interesting at the same time. Can't put my finger on why, but something about it feels too repetitive. By contrast bloodborne's environments are both detailed and interesting.

Calling the bosses knock offs of artorias makes no sense either, when dark souls 3 has some very creative bosses like crystal sage, treemendous, the pope union, and abyss watchers.

There's exceptions, yes, but... Irithyll has a pretty skybox, definitely. The actual city you're exploring is... a greyer, uglier Yharnam, and I've never gotten the love for it. High wall of Lothric is a greyer Undead Burg. That the environments are more detailed doesn't really work for me, because of the textures- again, they're flat and waxy, and don't really look finished. Bloodborne sort of had the same problem, but it didn't bother me nearly as much.

The bosses are kind of a different thing. Crystal sage is basically Pinwheel, except more of a generic grey wizard-zombie (and Pinwheel was a more-generic Fool's Idol). The Deacons are a horde of grey zombie-priests. The abyss watchers are fast swordsmen with flaming swords(and, you know, the heirs to Artorias), which also describes Pontiff, Lorian, and Soul of Cinder, and sort of works for Dancer. Then you've got Gundyr and Gundyr, Vordt, Dragonslayer Armor, who are all big, fast knights, and Nameless King, who isn't exactly a knight, except he's obviously turbo-Ornstein. Any given one of those is fine, great even, it's what happens when you stack them end-to-end that I object to.

The tree's pretty awesome, though, even if it is kind of a Rom-style boss that's easy except for the ways it's deeply annoying.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

irithyll is yharnam on ice but the other areas aren't much like bloodborne

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sum Gai posted:

There's exceptions, yes, but... Irithyll has a pretty skybox, definitely. The actual city you're exploring is... a greyer, uglier Yharnam, and I've never gotten the love for it. High wall of Lothric is a greyer Undead Burg. That the environments are more detailed doesn't really work for me, because of the textures- again, they're flat and waxy, and don't really look finished. Bloodborne sort of had the same problem, but it didn't bother me nearly as much.

How the gently caress can you call anything in this game "greyer than Yarnham"? Bloodborne was almost entirely devoid of color beyond the palette of brown and grey. It was intentionally very grungy and dull, because Yarnham is a lovely dirty city full of crazy hobo werewolves. Intense colors in that game were used very sparingly. They mostly were limited to the astral creatures, as their vibrant white hues made them contrast heavily with the darkness of Yarnham.

Irthyll is designed to look pretty but also lifeless. It uses white and blue hues primarily to make the city feel cold and empty. There's actually a good amount of light present in the city but it just serves to further highlight how empty the city is. The life in Irthyll is hollow and mindless, so they designed the city to visually reinforce that.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

How the gently caress can you call anything in this game "greyer than Yarnham"?

Dunno. Yharnam is pretty goddamn grey, it's true. Maybe it's just that everything looks a lot more detailed in Bloodborne. If I'd said "greyer Eleum Loyce" would that have worked better?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bloodborne is loving gorgeous from start to finish, but has the benefit of being a really distinct and unique setting. everything is super fresh and odd and off-kilter in it. i remember the first time i hit the nightmare frontier, my mind was bending at the non-euclidean geometry.

also i think dark souls 3 is beautiful looking; the dappled crab pond near the end of the road of sacrifices is insanely lush. irithyll is bonkers with it's whole "christmas in yarnham" vibe. and the kiln of the first flame, where all the towers are mashed together and spilling over one another is like something straight out of the akira manga city destruction panels. i guess more 'weirdness' in the environments would have been great: nito's cave in DS1 really felt like the bottom of the world, and anor londo felt like the inside of an empty museum.

also bring back ash lake, best and most awe inspiring area in any game ever

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bringing ash lake back would kinda ruin it. it stops being unique if they use it for other areas

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The "big guy in armor" fights are always the most fun fights for me so I don't mind that DS2 and 3 had a billion of them between the two games.

quote:

bringing ash lake back would kinda ruin it. it stops being unique if they use it for other areas

I like how DS2 used it; you see it in a memory, and it's hosed to hell.

quote:

Yeah I never really got why people say DS3 is cribbing from BB. I guess cause they look similar in terms of graphic fidelity stuff but then they're games in the same genre by the same company on similar hardware so that's kind of inevitable.

Aesthetically and atmospherically DS3 feels a lot more like BB than DS1 or 2. It makes sense that DS3 goes for a "poo poo's hosed" vibe over the "ancient epic" tone of DS1 though.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Sep 26, 2016

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Ash Lake was just a lovely anime RPG endgame area. I'll never get the love for that dump. As soon as they cleared out Seigmeyer's corpse they probably filmed a Kingdom Hearts trailer there.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I miss ds1 pvp throwing down in anor londo was the best.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Nohman posted:

Ash Lake was just a lovely anime RPG endgame area. I'll never get the love for that dump. As soon as they cleared out Seigmeyer's corpse they probably filmed a Kingdom Hearts trailer there.

oh god seigmeyer ; _ ;

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

alf_pogs posted:

bloodborne is loving gorgeous from start to finish, but has the benefit of being a really distinct and unique setting. everything is super fresh and odd and off-kilter in it. i remember the first time i hit the nightmare frontier, my mind was bending at the non-euclidean geometry.

Bloodborne's zones are definitely pretty good to look at on the whole, but the color palette is also very narrow. However you could certainly argue that it was used skillfully and to great effect because Yharnam looks really loving good despite having like three colors.

Bloodborne definitely owes a lot to its lighting, especially with the very specific coral-colored evening sun and the absolutely awful reddish-pink blood moon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it owes a lot to the level of detail they put into it as well. there's a lot to look at in every area if you feel like checking out the scenery

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

The "big guy in armor" fights are always the most fun fights for me so I don't mind that DS2 and 3 had a billion of them between the two games.

Maneaters, Flamelurker, Quelaag, Sanctuary Guardian, Kalameet, Manus, Sinh... There's a lot of weird bosses that'd be interesting to revisit with Dark Souls 3's combat mechanics that they kind of haven't; I think the reason that the "big guy in armor" fights are the fun ones is because those are the ones From puts all the effort and polish into. And I'm pretty sick of them, largely because Bloodborne's hunter fights nailed the concept so well, and better than Dark Souls really can.

Sum Gai fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 26, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Sum Gai posted:

And I'm pretty sick of them, largely because Bloodborne's hunter fights nailed the concept so well, and better than Dark Souls really can.

Definitely don't agree with this. The Bloodborne hunter fights are really good (I absolutely love the Maria fight) but they don't really have the same feel as Fume Knight or THE CHAMP.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Gundyr, Watchers, Dragonslayer Armour, Sulyvahn, Nameless King, and Soul of Cinder are all really good bosses.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

artorias and sir alonne were both the business

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

argondamn posted:

Gundyr, Watchers, Dragonslayer Armour, Sulyvahn, Nameless King, and Soul of Cinder are all really good bosses.

alf_pogs posted:

This is true, and pretty distinct from each other despite being "big guy with big weapon" bosses (except for Watchers).

I get the basic idea of the complaint, but considering From has consistently had major problems with camera work when it comes to big ugly monster bosses (cf. loving almost all of Bloodborne), these bosses are a lot more agreeable with the established format.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Is there a good compilation of dark souls lore? For all 3 games that is

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

RC Cola posted:

VaatiVidya does good ones and his voice is soothing.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

RC Cola posted:

vaatividya's stuff is good if you can get around his pondersome soothing delivery style, and he's always trying to draw connections to the other games in the series. but i don't think there's anything written down aside from the various wikis

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Ash Lake is just smoldering Lake. It's full of flaming arch trees. I hate the enemies in it but I love the zone. It's where gwyns knights went to hunt demons, it has someone human sized receiving primal pyromancy through a deal or covenant with a demon cleric, and they're both petrified at this point. You don't even need the chaos lady for it to already be dripping in lore, even if it's tiny.
You even get skeletons locked in eternal battle with a demon at the bottom of the catacombs.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

smouldering lake is in or around lost izalith

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

alf_pogs posted:

Yeah I think of all the games, Artorias still stands out to me as my favorite/most challenging Boss - I also love the fact that the dude is corrupted AND crippled and still can kick the poo poo out of you.

I remember Fume Knight in the DS2 DLC being similarly challenging/difficult without feeling frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Honestly at this point all of the lore compilation poo poo is just people writing fanfiction and passing it off as ~probably canon~ to justify they write fanfiction (and in VaatiVidya's case, make thousands of dollars for writing fanfiction)

Not that I begrudge it or anything but come on, dogg