Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Yeah I would assume imperial protocols or whatever include all that poo poo and it would've happened if not for mr chokes-people saying he's got it handled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

The sequence of events makes your question moot, is what I'm saying. He hadn't even cleared them to land yet by the time Vader intervenes, so of course after that he lets Vader do whatever he's doing, and stays well clear of it. Wouldn't you? I mean your explicitly evil boss tells you "don't worry about it, this is my business" and you're going to keep tabs on it and report it along anyway? Hell no.

But that's my point - Piett even says he was about to clear them.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Yeah I would assume imperial protocols or whatever include all that poo poo and it would've happened if not for mr chokes-people saying he's got it handled

Exactly.

Now, in the grand scheme of things, it is moot - because they run into multiple scout troopers anyway, and Vader tells the guys who picked up Luke to search for his friends. And, the legion on the ground on Endor was part of the Emperor's plan.

It's all just kind of confusing, because it seems like Piett and the rest of the Navy were clueless.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Security is a bit lax in part because they're in a big hurry to get the thing built and in part because it's a big trap.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Red posted:

But that's my point - Piett even says he was about to clear them.

Sure, but he probably would have kept track on them and radioed ahead in accordance to whatever procedures the Empire has, much like you expected.

Instead, Vader stepped in and from then on it wasn't Piett's problem.

You're almost certainly right about Piett et al. being out of the loop. Things in the Empire seem to run very much on a need-to-know basis, and unless your the Emperor, you don't need to know.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Security is a bit lax in part because they're in a big hurry to get the thing built and in part because it's a big trap.

Ah yes, the Clerks theory.

Schwarzwald posted:

Sure, but he probably would have kept track on them and radioed ahead in accordance to whatever procedures the Empire has, much like you expected.

Instead, Vader stepped in and from then on it wasn't Piett's problem.

You're almost certainly right about Piett et al. being out of the loop. Things in the Empire seem to run very much on a need-to-know basis, and unless your the Emperor, you don't need to know.

Good call.

Thinking isn't a thing for the Empire. Think about that when everyone's all smiles in the bunker when Han puts on a helmet and asks for reinforcements. Nobody recognizes the new guy holding a walkie-talkie in front of his face? OPEN THE DOORS GUYS

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Equeen posted:

Why do people liking the prequels bother you so much? Are "Star Wars spergs" really making your life worse? Before you accuse me of being a prequel fan, I've only watched AOTC and ROTS. I thought the former was boring and the latter was decent, but not that great.

because i wanna talk about how cool yoda is being all wise and poo poo, not talk about how many pores are on his little jim henson muppet face

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

because i wanna talk about how cool yoda is being all wise and poo poo, not talk about how many pores are on his little jim henson muppet face

but if you don't like his jim henson muppet face, then you should be all for the prequels??

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Phi230 posted:

But that's not what we were talking about.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Red posted:

All right, all right:

I'm watching Return of the Jedi on Spike or TNT or whatever, and Han and pals just pass the Death Star II with the stolen clearance code.

Does Imperial traffic control just assume the ship is totally fine, and doesn't bother to track them until they land? They don't radio ahead to the bunker on Endor to expect a ship?

Crazier stuff has happened in real life. In WWII the Germans let a very poorly disguised U.S. battleship sail right into one of their most heavily defended ports and wreck their poo poo.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Obi-Wan becomes a force ghost; is still an old gently caress.

Yoda becomes a force ghost; is still an old gently caress.

Anakin Skywalker becomes a force ghost; IS IN HIS TWENTIES AGAIN.

So unfair.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But that was the last time he was a good person!!!

except the last time he was a good person he was 8 years old lol.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Gonz posted:

Obi-Wan becomes a force ghost; is still an old gently caress.

Yoda becomes a force ghost; is still an old gently caress.

Anakin Skywalker becomes a force ghost; IS IN HIS TWENTIES AGAIN.

So unfair.

:confused:

I think Sebastian Shaw was in his mid-late 70s when RotJ was made, no? That doesn't look like someone in his twenties to me, anyway.

e: yeah, he was born in 1905, so actually older than Alec Guinness, which I guess makes sense given how wrecked Vader/Anakin's body was and how much it must have atrophied from his being locked inside that cyborg suit for decades, powered by not much more than Dark Side hate.

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 26, 2016

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
In the updated ROTJ, this happened:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

But that's not what we were talking about.

Well gently caress me for trying to stick to the original movies and not all the poo poo that came after (minus TFA)

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Well gently caress me for trying to stick to the original movies and not all the poo poo that came after (minus TFA)

:confused:

There are seven* original Star Wars films thus far?

*arguably eight, soon to be nine

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Phi230 posted:

Well, you could bring up something new to discuss, or you can continue to whine and moan about different opinions. Whatever works for you.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phi230 posted:

People debate how much of the prequels was in Lucas' mind when he did the OT, but he did have a backstory in mind and some of it lived on paper. As far as the OT's principal creator and driving force is concerned, the OT and PT form a unified whole. The films as they exist on shelves today are the closest thing to his vision that time, money, and technology could buy at the time. If you want to treat the OT as a palimpsest and look for traces of the original vision, go ahead, but there's just not that much to go on. Lucas has said a lot of things over the decades about what he originally intended and it's not all consistent.

To get more mileage out of the manuscript tradition metaphor, with TFA we have the beginning of a scribal tradition: individual scribes are already misunderstanding the original text, and those misunderstandings are making their way into future editions and derivative works.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Gonz posted:

It's good, OP, especially for younger viewers who may have seen the prequels first.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Gonz posted:

Wow, really? That's stupid. Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't magically regress in age, and moreover Hayden Christensen is clearly not the guy under Vader's mask when Luke removes it.

e: actually I don't think I've seen the "updated" ROTJ (unless you mean the Special Edition with extra song & dance) then, but did they replace Sebastian Shaw's face with Christensen's in old age + Vader makeup?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Apollodorus posted:

Wow, really? That's stupid. Obi-Wan and Yoda didn't magically regress in age, and moreover Hayden Christensen is clearly not the guy under Vader's mask when Luke removes it.

It's only in the last year or so that I realized Shaw was the dude under Vader's mask.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Apollodorus posted:

did they replace Sebastian Shaw's face with Christensen's in old age + Vader makeup?

No.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Half-assed cash grab.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Episode V is on the way!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSA3QVrggl0

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
They also replaced the original Emperor hologram in Empire Strikes Back with Ian McDiarmid

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

It was handwaved with something about force ghosts appearing as the last time you were truly good-hearted or whatever. Which muddles Anakin's death speech a little bit I suppose. Either way I don't think it's a big difference beyond being angry about change for change's sake (which is understandable) - if Anakin had been in his late 20s as a ghost for the original RotJ with no explanation given I doubt anyone would've cared too much (except for not recognizing who he was supposed to be).

Serf
May 5, 2011

Pakled posted:

They also replaced the original Emperor hologram in Empire Strikes Back with Ian McDiarmid

Criminy, the SE looks 1000x better. Holy mackerel. I still have my ancient VHS copies around somewhere, I don't remember it looking that bad.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I was mostly just confused about the earlier comment, because I clearly remember seeing it at age 8 and recognizing it as the same actor (i.e. Sebastian Shaw, though I was too jazzed about having finished the trilogy to pay attention to the credits and assumed it was David Prowse).

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pakled posted:

The Shaw replacement is questionable but this one is good

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Apollodorus posted:

e: actually I don't think I've seen the "updated" ROTJ (unless you mean the Special Edition with extra song & dance) then, but did they replace Sebastian Shaw's face with Christensen's in old age + Vader makeup?

The idea, I assume, is that he has reverted to anakin as anakin was, not as vader was.

Fine in principal, but Hayden, even in this serene and happy moment, can only pull off one facial expression and that is creepy rapist.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I think really the idea is to inject the prequels into the original trilogy with visual effects, rather than by writing better prequels.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Serf posted:

Criminy, the SE looks 1000x better. Holy mackerel. I still have my ancient VHS copies around somewhere, I don't remember it looking that bad.

It's a woman with goop on her eyes and it does look that bad. But thank the Maker for the glorious OT practical effects!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I am almost as excited for this as I am for Rogue One.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

El Burbo posted:

The Shaw replacement is questionable but this one is good

The visual replacement is good but the new dialogue is awful.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Apollodorus posted:

I think really the idea is to inject the prequels into the original trilogy with visual effects, rather than by writing better prequels.

This is all there is, no rationalizations of prequelisms stand

Like yall motherfuckers are tryna tell me a change made after 30 years changes the subtext.

Those trying to invent "lucas' original intent" let me say 2 things:

Is Will Hunting gay because there was a gay BJ scene originally in the script? Will this literally meaningless trivia change your entire understanding of that movie?

Also lucas is a hack and should carry no salt. You people realize that if lucas haf complete control over star wars it would have been trash instead of the cultural icon it is now

Ultimately yall are putting star wars to almost a theological scrutiny

Namaste

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 26, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Like yall motherfuckers are tryna tell me a change made after 30 years changes the subtext.

Is Will Hunting gay because there was a gay BJ scene originally in the script? Will this literally meaningless trivia change your entire understanding of that movie?

Also lucas is a hack and should carry no salt. You people realize that if lucas haf complete control over star wars it would have been trash instead of the cultural icon it is now

Namaste

I thought you wanted to talk about how cool and wise yoda is(and poo poo), why aren't you doing that?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Basebf555 posted:

I thought you wanted to talk about how cool and wise yoda is(and poo poo), why aren't you doing that?

Because people are obsessed with distractions like the change of the ghost

Lucas heard "show dont tell" as a criticism of the prequels so he decides to try and link the two trilogies in the most hamfisted and shallow way possible

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 26, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phi230 posted:

Namaste

I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Phi230 posted:

Because people are obsessed with distractions like the change of the ghost

Lucas heard "show dont tell" as a criticism of the prequels so he decides to try and link the two trilogies in the most hamfisted and shallow way possible

Couldn't you just change the subject to something you think is more interesting? Or maybe its just that Yoda being an awesome character is self-evident and there's no need to discuss it?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Phi230 posted:

Namaste

It's amazing how every line break has nothing to do with the line preceding it. This reads like a bunch of tweets from random Twitter accounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
As much as I like the imagery of lightsabers, it's kind of weird that part where a whole arena of Jedi just swing them nearby instead of using the force to drop hot rocks on all the robots. I feel like the force makes elegant hand weapons unnecessary once you can stop blaster bolts in midair. Lucas made his wizards all magical but they still mostly whack people with their walking sticks.

• Locked thread