Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

lorn Wayne posted:

i personally like how 'progressive' turned into an insult.

next up: 'charitable' and 'generous' turn into the worst swear words ever

and somewhat "bleeding heart liberal"

well yes, it does bleed, that's what hearts do, the gently caress kind of heart do you have??

"haha you joker, you care about other people!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Lastgirl posted:

lol

there will be rules, basically there's a drinking game via 9th layer's post and a bingo game, you can do both if you want, or just one, or neither~

however

the bingo game is gonna have a submission time limit so you can't try to cheat on it (yuuuge paddlin if you try). We're still hashing it out and the rules and application will be explained in the debate OP

so it's a good idea to be a few hours early if you want to play the bingo game so you can submit your official card in time before starting it at 9pm est. Change pending on that though, just be early~

right on!

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

is the war pup going to watch the debate with you?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
also Sam Wang putting a hoop over Nate's head and then dunking on him is making me go laffo

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

"community organizer"

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
being cheap and evil and rotten and drinking horrible alcohol is an american tradition

*examines wood carving of TRVMP in 1700's voting record*

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

also Sam Wang putting a basketball ring over Nate's head and then dunking on him is making me go laffo

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

also Sam Wang putting a hoop over Nate's head and then dunking on him is making me go laffo

[triggers hoosierly]

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Karl Sharks posted:

well yes, it does bleed, that's what hearts do, the gently caress kind of heart do you have??

The fact that the self-proclaimed pious, "adults in the room" get away with mocking progressive politics as naive and unrealistic, is a complete branding disaster for left parties everywhere.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i always keep a copy of Inferno close at hand to remind me of what is Trump's America.

And upon the third circle of hell I descended, where it rained excrement. Virgil said upon to me "This is the land of Gluttony." The tortured souls grasping and writhing only for no sustenance. Lo, a great beast patrolled amongst them. "Feckless!" he cried, as he punished a poor tortured soul by devouring him whole. He sighted upon us, and a great roar echoed from its gaping maw. Virgil grabbed me exclaimed "It is Christie!" The cruel, monsterous beast, with three chins growled in the dark air.

His eyes beady, his fingers greasy and clubbed, approached, trampling the tortured souls.

Virgil grabbed a hold of me and hurried me to a dilapidated bridge, but we could not cross, for the way was blocked.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Phi230 posted:

I mixed angry orchard and fireball, and I threw up

a pretty good analogy for this election cycle, tbh

angry orchard is too fuckkin sweet, get drunk on a dryer cider. try two towns or seattle dry its fuckin awesome. apple champagne.

TwinsensRevenge
Aug 13, 2013

we updated our personal drinking game to do tequila shots at the first mention of THE WALL

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Karl Sharks posted:

I have a robot heart like long dead scalia

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Karl Sharks posted:

is the war pup going to watch the debate with you?

We're having a little debate party over at my in-laws and she's doing to be coming along, but will probably be too busy begging for treats to watch.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
oh god I think I can relate Trump to each circle of hell

zakkro
May 29, 2015

Low on the list of rebrands, but still pretty irksome, is "secular" being a bad word.

A friend of mine railed against secularists some time ago, cuz they're trying to undermine Christianity and therefore destroy America.

I don't see it that often, but the word/its derivatives come up.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

hearts?
more like FARTS

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

remember when cheney literally had no physical heart within his chest

like nature decided that the subtext was too strong not to become text

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

We're having a little debate party over at my in-laws and she's doing to be coming along, but will probably be too busy begging for treats to watch.

that's a good girl

Al! posted:

you mean cheney? scalia was a lich and has no beating heart to speak of

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
best (worst) rebrand is "liberal"

conservatives say it with such venom, as if it was a racial slur

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Al! posted:

I was woken up on the day Scalia died by my dad telling me the news. I immediately said "Wow, that's great!" and my dad said he knew I'd be happy. The best way to bond with family is over the death of heinous old men.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

aww cute~ :3:

Phi230 posted:

best (worst) rebrand is "liberal"

conservatives say it with such venom, as if it was a racial slur

they've really kicked it up a notch with LIEberal these days.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

I was woken up on the day Scalia died by my dad telling me the news. I immediately said "Wow, that's great!" and my dad said he'd knew I'd be happy. The best way to bond with family is over the death of heinous old men.

yeah oddly enough the news of Scalia's death elicited the same emotions as when I heard of Osama's death

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

zakkro posted:

Low on the list of rebrands, but still pretty irksome, is "secular" being a bad word.

A friend of mine railed against secularists some time ago, cuz they're trying to undermine Christianity and therefore destroy America.

I don't see it that often, but the word/its derivatives come up.

lol if someone is not explicitly running to enact a secular government they dont have my vote. freedom of and from religion, bitch. god, that's one of the things i expressly don't miss about living in north carolina, is being treated like a fuckin space alien for not going to church.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Lastgirl posted:

they've really kicked it up a notch with LIEberal these days.
That's some edgy conservative humor!!!

Phi230 posted:

yeah oddly enough the news of Scalia's death elicited the same emotions as when I heard of Osama's death
I was obviously happy with Osama died, but the celebrations in the street seemed kind of gauche and weird at the time. I felt no such reservations about Scalia. I'm a bad person.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Nichael posted:

The best way to bond with family is over the death of heinous old men.

Hunter S. Thompson posted:

Nixon had the unique ability to make his enemies seem honorable, and we developed a keen sense of fraternity. Some of my best friends have hated Nixon all their lives. My mother hates Nixon, my son hates Nixon, I hate Nixon, and this hatred has brought us together.

Nixon laughed when I told him this. "Don't worry," he said, "I, too, am a family man, and we feel the same way about you."

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

scalia was worse for the us than osama, probably killed more americans too

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Nichael posted:

That's some edgy conservative humor!!!

I was obviously happy with Osama died, but the celebrations in the street seemed kind of gauche and weird at the time. I felt no such reservations about Scalia. I'm a bad person.

osama's death was like the one national cathartic moment we've had in like 20 years, the last one being the collapse of the USSR

so much pent up national frustration comes out even at the slightest of good news

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

i think cheney might be his divine shadow

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

good to see the arzying continues

no wait actually its bad to see that. my mistake

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Nichael posted:

I felt no such reservations about Scalia. I'm a bad person.

no ur not

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"Progressive" is an eye-roller now because it got embraced by a bunch of retard idiots all fighting with each other other an ideal of purity that simply doesn't exist even within their own consensus.

It's meaningless because Tulsi "firebomb all brown people, supports Muslim genociders" Gabbard is one but Sherrod Brown and pretty much anybody more liberal than Bernie isn't.

All "progressive" used to mean was someone who kissed Bernie's ring. Now that Bernie is a sellout shill it means absolutely nothing except "the sort of people who handcuff themselves to event chairs"

zakkro
May 29, 2015

shiksa posted:

lol if someone is not explicitly running to enact a secular government they dont have my vote. freedom of and from religion, bitch. god, that's one of the things i expressly don't miss about living in north carolina, is being treated like a fuckin space alien for not going to church.

My dad doesn't like muslims, but if you say "freedom of religion" he says "yeah, but there's some evil muslims out there that don't want you to have that freedom."

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

shiksa posted:

You are free to choose from any Protestant religion!

FMguru posted:

Nixon stuff

What a president!

zakkro posted:

My dad doesn't like muslims, but if you say "freedom of religion" he says "yeah, but there's some evil muslims out there that don't want you to have that freedom."

That's really the dumbest loving argument. "I don't like how radical Muslims treat people in their theocratic nations so I'm going to do the same exact loving thing in my nation."

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Conservatives just get mad and say liberal with so much venom because everybody but their tiny sliver of the population says every name they make up for themselves with the same venom and they (rightly) feel like they're being dogpiled

gently caress anybody who thinks this election is actually about class or the economy lmao

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Squizzle posted:

i think cheney might be his divine shadow

not evil enough

his divine shadow i mean

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

Conservatives just get mad and say liberal with so much venom because everybody but their tiny sliver of the population says every name they make up for themselves with the same venom and they (rightly) feel like they're being dogpiled

gently caress anybody who thinks this election is actually about class or the economy lmao

with the GOP its always been white anguish, those who deny it are blind or dumb

once you realize the truth, that there is no conservatism,

it is not the politics that bends, only the race

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Epic High Five posted:

It's actually about ethics in economic anxiety (andgamingjournalism). :qq:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

"Progressive" is an eye-roller now because it got embraced by a bunch of retard idiots all fighting with each other other an ideal of purity that simply doesn't exist even within their own consensus.

It's meaningless because Tulsi "firebomb all brown people, supports Muslim genociders" Gabbard is one but Sherrod Brown and pretty much anybody more liberal than Bernie isn't.

All "progressive" used to mean was someone who kissed Bernie's ring. Now that Bernie is a sellout shill it means absolutely nothing except "the sort of people who handcuff themselves to event chairs"

nope but you do you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakkro
May 29, 2015

Nichael posted:

That's really the dumbest loving argument. "I don't like how radical Muslims treat people in their theocratic nations so I'm going to do the same exact loving thing in my nation."

Yeah, and it's applied to almost anything you can consider progressive.

"You [lgbt/women/non-muslims] think you have it bad here? Stop complaining! Other countries would kill you!"

No no no no no no America should never strive to improve, we're already better than x amount of countries in some measures, so we're good for now.

• Locked thread