Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Ytlaya posted:

I hope Deku succeeds in this next round relatively easily instead of having a bunch of "OH NO HE'S ABOUT TO LOSE" fake tension. It kinda bugged me in this last round because, unlike the other UA people, no one (outside of UA) really knows how Deku's updated skill-set works (since it's nothing like what he did during the Sports Festival), and his skills (being generally faster/stronger than other people) would definitely be better than most quirks for such a competition.

I didn't really mind the pacing of how Deku passed the first round. His ability is cream of he crop, but his mastery of it is not, and he was looking out for his teammates. I never thought we were supposed to doubt that he could make it. He was in the last quarter of qualifiers, but he didn't have to squeak by like the last of the UA students either. I agree though, it would be really cool if Deku dominates the rescue round, given that he has always been all about this side of heroing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I worry that Bakugou's words are going to cause Deku to second guess himself during this round.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ytlaya posted:

I hope Deku succeeds in this next round relatively easily instead of having a bunch of "OH NO HE'S ABOUT TO LOSE" fake tension. It kinda bugged me in this last round because, unlike the other UA people, no one (outside of UA) really knows how Deku's updated skill-set works (since it's nothing like what he did during the Sports Festival), and his skills (being generally faster/stronger than other people) would definitely be better than most quirks for such a competition.

There weren't a bunch of "OH NO HE'S ABOUT TO LOSE!" moments in the first round, though. That was more for the Bakugo/Kirishima/Kaminari situation. Deku was never really in danger, he caught onto mimic lady really quick, and once he teamed up with Uraraka and Sero they passed pretty easily.

Considering rescuing is definitely in his wheelhouse, I wonder if Bakugo not doing as well as Deku is the point of this arc. Showing that he might actually be a better hero, even though Bakugo is better at fighting.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Rhonne posted:

I worry that Bakugou's words are going to cause Deku to second guess himself during this round.

I'd like to think that All Might's retirement and private mantle-passing to Deku has largely cured Deku of his second guessing and hesitation. The very fact that Deku's response to a person going "hey, can't you let us pass?" was going "nope, sorry, gotta do this" was already a pretty big indication of his growth in that area.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Matoi Ryuko posted:

This is everything you need to know about anime in a single video.

This is everything you need to forget about anime in a single video.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Begemot posted:

There weren't a bunch of "OH NO HE'S ABOUT TO LOSE!" moments in the first round, though. That was more for the Bakugo/Kirishima/Kaminari situation. Deku was never really in danger, he caught onto mimic lady really quick, and once he teamed up with Uraraka and Sero they passed pretty easily.

Considering rescuing is definitely in his wheelhouse, I wonder if Bakugo not doing as well as Deku is the point of this arc. Showing that he might actually be a better hero, even though Bakugo is better at fighting.

I'm actually expecting Baukugo to impress us on this one. Despite his temper sometimes making him do stupid crap like in the mock fight versus Deku early on, he scored even higher than Deku on their written exams for a reason. Endeavor is the poster child for how you can be a good hero without heroic traits, after all.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

I'm actually expecting Baukugo to impress us on this one. Despite his temper sometimes making him do stupid crap like in the mock fight versus Deku early on, he scored even higher than Deku on their written exams for a reason. Endeavor is the poster child for how you can be a good hero without heroic traits, after all.

I think it would be more interesting for Bakugou to again surprise everyone by being actually good at rescuing people.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Given Bakugou scored exactly 0 rescue points in the entrance exam, I think it's more appropriate that he'd struggle here.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Begemot posted:

yea there was never any moment where I thought deku was in real danger of losing in the first round

I actually think this is where bakugou gets to show his growth tho since he didn't do so hot on the rescuing people thing in the past

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Had this chapter open in a tab all week but kept forgetting to read it.

It's good.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

blizzardvizard posted:

Given Bakugou scored exactly 0 rescue points in the entrance exam, I think it's more appropriate that he'd struggle here.

Bakugou and Deku's powers are both pretty pretty useless in search and rescue.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not really, in the case of Deku. He can get around fast, move heavy objects out of the way/off of people, and carry around people who need it without much issue.

Bakugou, though... I guess he could blow up rubble and stuff in the way, but, yeah, his is not so great there.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

chumbler posted:

I think it would be more interesting for Bakugou to again surprise everyone by being actually good at rescuing people.

That's...what I said I expected though?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

That's...what I said I expected though?

Sorry, I had meant to preface that with a "Yeah,".

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

Say Nothing posted:

Bakugou and Deku's powers are both pretty pretty useless in search and rescue.

Don't worry about Deku. He has experience in rescuing people.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Roland Jones posted:

Not really, in the case of Deku. He can get around fast, move heavy objects out of the way/off of people, and carry around people who need it without much issue.

Bakugou, though... I guess he could blow up rubble and stuff in the way, but, yeah, his is not so great there.

I'm sure if he learns how to turn his sweat into shaped charges he can find some rescue use for them in a world made of concrete.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Eej posted:

I'm sure if he learns how to turn his sweat into shaped charges he can find some rescue use for them in a world made of concrete.
Now I'm just imagining him making explosions shoot out of his back like a grumpy Cyndaquil.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Roland Jones posted:

I mean, if you think Deku's power is useless for rescue, remember that All Might first became famous when he rescued like 300 people from a disaster over the course of one night, not after beating a villain.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This might be where some of the other 1-A students get to strut their stuff- Maybe Uraraka in particular.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Begemot posted:

I know that it was obvious from a narrative perspective, but he quickly lost 2 out of his 3 spots (to place the balls) which was intended to create a lot of tension.

You know, I was just thinking about how that test puts anyone who isn't there with their class or (very) large group of friends at a huge disadvantage, because they wouldn't benefit from much teamwork (with people they're familiar with at least).

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Ytlaya posted:

I know that it was obvious from a narrative perspective, but he quickly lost 2 out of his 3 spots (to place the balls) which was intended to create a lot of tension.

It was intended to increase tension, sure, but since the narrative never actually dwelled on that fact, I don't think you as a reader were really supposed to either.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JT Jag posted:

I mean, if you think Deku's power is useless for rescue, remember that All Might first became famous when he rescued like 300 people from a disaster over the course of one night, not after beating a villain.

Oh yeah, that particular example is very good. I mean, "being impossibly strong, fast, and durable" is a power that is almost never useless already, but like you say, All Might's introduction to both us and the world he occupies was him rescuing people from a disaster.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So I'm guessing that the objective of the 'civilians' is to be as obnoxious as possible and make life as difficult as possible for their rescuers in order to push their skills to the limit.

I'm absolutely positive I've seen that sort of test in another story somewhere, but I can't remember where.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Oh yeah, that particular example is very good. I mean, "being impossibly strong, fast, and durable" is a power that is almost never useless already, but like you say, All Might's introduction to both us and the world he occupies was him rescuing people from a disaster.

yea I don't see how deku's power is useless for rescuing people. he's fast so he can get to people in danger quickly, he's strong so he can help people trapped behind/under something, and he can reach people in places other heroes might have trouble with (like if they're on a roof or something). a sensor would be nice but just finding someone is just the first step to rescuing them

tho if they're not barred from working as a team, it won't matter who's best at it because they're gonna do that

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea I don't see how deku's power is useless for rescuing people. he's fast so he can get to people in danger quickly, he's strong so he can help people trapped behind/under something, and he can reach people in places other heroes might have trouble with (like if they're on a roof or something). a sensor would be nice but just finding someone is just the first step to rescuing them

tho if they're not barred from working as a team, it won't matter who's best at it because they're gonna do that

It isn't. All Might rescued a lot of people. That's kind of the point of the power. In a lot of ways, All Might probably had the same problems as Deku. "How to use overwelming strength to help others" That's sort of a huge theme of the story.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I was talking about it with my roommate, and I think I can finally articulate why I don't have any problems with everyone in Class 1-A getting through:

It's a bit of a stretch, logically, but it makes perfect sense, narratively.

Let's think about the normal fate of secondary characters in shonen series, even the ones who are supposed to be equals. By the end they are, at best, sidekicks, and at worst, a cheering section or even active liabilities. In MHA, it has been broadcasted for something like 10 chapters now that everyone in 1-A is doubling down on their training, trying to give everything they have and improving their skills in new ways.

To have those characters shown to work that hard, struggle that much, and then get punked by some guy we've never seen until now? It would immediately and permanently establish them as jobbers. Even if they don't go all the way, they need to get some successes, some accomplishments. The alternative is that everyone not named Deku or Bakugo slowly turns into Yamcha.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

I was talking about it with my roommate, and I think I can finally articulate why I don't have any problems with everyone in Class 1-A getting through:

Let's think about the normal fate of secondary characters in shonen series, even the ones who are supposed to be equals. By the end they are, at best, sidekicks, and at worst, a cheering section or even active liabilities. In MHA, it has been broadcasted for something like 10 chapters now that everyone in 1-A is doubling down on their training, trying to give everything they have and improving their skills in new ways.

To have those characters shown to work that hard, struggle that much, and then get punked by some guy we've never seen until now? It would immediately and permanently establish them as jobbers. Even if they don't go all the way, they need to get some successes, some accomplishments. The alternative is that everyone not named Deku or Bakugo slowly turns into Yamcha.

I agree.

I'd be pretty unsatisfied with any of 1-A losing in the fight bits, they've had the most real-world villain-fighting experience of every single student there. I'd be okay with some people losing in the rescue bits because they don't have any experience at disaster relief. And the one time they tried, they got interrupted by a bunch of villains they had to beat, earning combat experience rather than practicing how to rescue people.

Though any character who fails to get their provisional here is going to legally be put in the victim box whenever the real trouble kicks up and while that could provide interesting complications to situations, especially if the person legally unable to help in a fight happens to be one of the heavy hitters, it can also risk getting secondary characters increasingly sidelined. Seeing characters be restrained by legal technicalities would probably get pretty tiring after a while, so I'm also fine with this also being a short and entertaining breather arc where everybody passes, some people almost don't but learn some valuable lessons, and everybody in 1-A is fully equipped to deal with the troubles ahead. They survived AFO, time for a victory lap.

I'm totally fine with 1-A being a class full of successful kids slowly growing into their future roles as professional heroes, and not B-lister chumps either. That's cool, totally on board with that. I just want to see actual villains with some long-lasting menace, agency, and well-defined goals that don't involve the vague and weaselly phrase "something something this rotten society."

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Poison Mushroom posted:

I agree.

That said, if all 20 people in 1-A don't pass, then I'd imagine either Deku is one of the ones that doesn't pass, or he's somehow the only one who does pass and has to deal with the fallout from that.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm kinda thinking that the class will get their licenses because it allows them to fight when the villain alliance inevitably shows up again; so this arc is less about the license and more just "hey everyone has improved a bunch."

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i want to read anime

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Those civilian clothes Heroes are rad

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Unrelated to anything, I really want Best Jeanist to have a brother named Jortsman.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Green Intern posted:

Unrelated to anything, I really want Best Jeanist to have a brother named Jortsman.
Worst Jortsman.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Green Intern posted:

His sister, JNCO.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

His sister, JNCO.

Don't forget about JNCO's sidekick, Daisy Duke!

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

his father, Duke Denim.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just started this and Deku wearing the costume his mam made him is the cutest thing :kimchi:

e: I am glad none of these beasts mocked my sweet boy

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 28, 2016

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Yeah, not much chance of that since it was a reference to the MC of the author's last manga.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Chapter up on MS. Spoiler: it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Chapter up on MS. Spoiler: it's good

Is that all you can say? You suck!