Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It turns out that one of the best parts got lost by the time it hit the thrift store:

goodreads posted:

Inspiring in it's awfulness! Deserves negative score.

Disguised as a children's picture book, the author reifies her multilevel-marketing tale through the experience of her own daughter. Every night as little Reed is tucked into bed, she is told, "Just wait 'til we're diamond." The book flyleaf includes a text of scripture adding divine authority to the hard work and dreams that formed the formation of the 1980's pyramid-prosperity gospel. Dark illustrations heighten the menacing feel, controlling aspect, and sinister tone of the tale. The family business -- never named -- can be none other than AMWAY. Ugh!

Good ol' prosperity gospel. It's a pretty good match for the 'have faith in what you're doing and you'll totally be rich someday. If you failed it's because you didn't believe hard enough' MLM mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

pig slut lisa posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Ask / Tell > Business, Finance, and Careers > Bad With Money: Just Wait 'til We're Diamond

wow

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!
That was amazing to read. Thank you!

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Senf posted:

But the end is the beginning!

... is there a second book?

comedy answer: Merchants of Deception

real answer, I looked up the artist and she still seems to do stuff, but her official website seems to have no mention whatsoever of Just wait till we're diamond :iiam:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Maybe instead of her being the mother she was actually the child and this is all a veiled cry for help about her broken childhood that she just wants to move past now :ohdear:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The thing that stuck out for me was how Mormon-y the book sounded. Lots of language in there about the family as a business and spreading the MLM through the community. It has a ton of LDS buzzwords and dogwhistle phrases.

I know that Mormons have a huge participation rate in MLMs. I wonder if it is intentional.

Also, Mormon's being obsessed with MLM: GWM or BWM? You have a huge network of people who are obligated to support you, but it is still an MLM...

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The thing that stuck out for me was how Mormon-y the book sounded. Lots of language in there about the family as a business and spreading the MLM through the community. It has a ton of LDS buzzwords and dogwhistle phrases.

I know that Mormons have a huge participation rate in MLMs. I wonder if it is intentional.

Also, Mormon's being obsessed with MLM: GWM or BWM? You have a huge network of people who are obligated to support you, but it is still an MLM...

Even if they're making something it just gets tithed out at the end of they day anyway

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

What's the difference between a pyramid scheme and MLM? I tired to google this, but all the top links are things about how MLMs are cool businesses where you can work from home and have a great income, but you have to watch out for those evil pyramid schemes which are bad and illegal, please read more if you want to work from home to make $$$ but not fall for one of those pyramid scams

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
A pyramid scheme is an mlm that the ftc has determined, after settling any appeals, meets the definition of a pyramid scheme.

Comrade Gritty
Sep 19, 2011

This Machine Kills Fascists

Enfys posted:

What's the difference between a pyramid scheme and MLM? I tired to google this, but all the top links are things about how MLMs are cool businesses where you can work from home and have a great income, but you have to watch out for those evil pyramid schemes which are bad and illegal, please read more if you want to work from home to make $$$ but not fall for one of those pyramid scams

As I understand it Pyramid schemes tend to focus on just earning money by recruiting hapless people below you without an actual product (or where the recruiting is considered the primary activity and the product is secondary). Whereas MLM schemes focus on actually selling a product (where you have to buy the product and then you get to sell it) but also has a component where you try and recruit people under you to sell your product. I believe Pyramid schemes are almost always considered to be illegitimate while MLMs are often illegitimate they can also be legitimate (they just almost never pay out very well in accordance to the number of hours put in).

See also https://www.bbb.org/phoenix/news-events/consumer-tips/2015/03/opportunity-or-scam-multi-level-marketing-vs.-pyramid-schemes/

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Enfys posted:

My understanding is that MLM skirts the laws against pyramid schemes by selling an actual product to the public. MLM is a pyramid scheme in the sense that it's a pyramid where only those on top get any benefits and the people on the bottom are exploited (something like 90% make under $2 an hour). Classic pyramid schemes have no product and rely on new recruits just giving them money in return for nothing but the promise of future returns and then are paid directly from the contributions of recruits even lower in the scheme, until it collapses.

I guess with MLMs it would be possible, in theory, to have a non-exploitative company, which is why they're not illegal. In practice it would never make sense to make a non-exploitative MLM company because there's no advantage over a normal company.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Enfys posted:

MLM uses a product or series of products as a fig leaf to cover the pyramid scheme, allowing them to skirt the definition of the law.

MLMs claim that you, as an "employee", can get discounted access to their "products" - but also, you can convince people to buy these products from you instead of directly from the company, and if those people can convince somebody to buy from them then you get a cut of their profits, and if those... hence multi-level marketing. Completely ignoring that anyone could just buy directly and avoid that huge markup, and the whole premise of their pitch is based on exponential growth that means five or six tiers of people means literally every single person on the planet is buying their lovely product from you, directly or indirectly.

I put product in scare quotes above because while MLMs may have items for sale, what they're actually selling and what people are wasting thousands of dollars on is a dream, one of wealth and leisure and happiness, which is blatantly obvious when you see their conventions supposedly about selling strategy but really 99% about how great your life is totally going to be and how smart you are for doing this.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
The goons did a thread about MLM ages ago, if you have archives:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3258090&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

DarkHorse posted:

MLM uses a product or series of products as a fig leaf to cover the pyramid scheme, allowing them to skirt the definition of the law.

MLMs claim that you, as an "employee", can get discounted access to their "products" - but also, you can convince people to buy these products from you instead of directly from the company, and if those people can convince somebody to buy from them then you get a cut of their profits, and if those... hence multi-level marketing. Completely ignoring that anyone could just buy directly and avoid that huge markup, and the whole premise of their pitch is based on exponential growth that means five or six tiers of people means literally every single person on the planet is buying their lovely product from you, directly or indirectly.

I put product in scare quotes above because while MLMs may have items for sale, what they're actually selling and what people are wasting thousands of dollars on is a dream, one of wealth and leisure and happiness, which is blatantly obvious when you see their conventions supposedly about selling strategy but really 99% about how great your life is totally going to be and how smart you are for doing this.

I don't think they're allowed to call you an employee, though, which is why everyone is a *brand ambassador* or *seller* or *entrepreneur*

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

can the mod of this web sight please change the thread title to acknwoledge the greatest book in the history of books!?

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Amway ruined my life

quote:

I thought I was living my dream life. My husband and I got married six years ago. Right away we bought a house using a small inheritance I'd received as a down payment. Cute little house with three bedrooms. I loved it and thought I'd be happy here forever. Our son was born four years ago. My husband worked for a courier and I've been working the same cashier job since going back to work after maternity leave. Maybe not the greatest jobs in the world but we were happy and meeting our bills. We had some savings. My husband was happy and funny and a great dad. One of the nicest people I've ever met in my life.
After one year our savings are gone. We have about $20,000 in credit card debt and we have boxes of Amway products in the garage that my husband was forced to buy because of the pressure from his upline who turned out to be the biggest bunch of shitheads I've ever met in my life!

The head honcho shithead counsels with us to use the equity in our home to pay off the debt. I hated doing this. The house is my security. We pay off the debt. My husband loses his job. I still don't know why but I suspect due to Amway because he is changed and has become a really nasty person and insults everyone who won't support our Amway business. He's on the phone all the time and I think he might have been meeting his upline instead of doing his route. He tells me this is a good thing because he can now concentrate full time on building our Amway business. Out comes the credit cards because we need to buy more Amway products but now we need cash advances to pay the mortgage and other bills because my pay doesn't come close to meeting our financial obligations. We have $30,000 in credit card debt in the last year.
We're now in the process of getting divorced. He has moved out and is staying with one of the shitheads. The house is up for sale. My parents are helping out with the mortgage until its sold and have got a lawyer for me. My husband is using some idiot in Amway to represent him who has no legal training. The only thing they're concerned about is that I don't get my hands on the Amway business. Half of nothing is still nothing shitheads! Besides I don't need half the debt! I guess I can forget about alimony or child support because he has nothing. I want custody of our son. He can keep custody of the Amway shitheads.

This is not how I thought my life would turn out. I'm 32 and on my own and have a young son to raise. My beautiful house won't be mine for much longer. I will have nothing when I get out of this marriage.

Thank you Amway for destroying my life.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 25, 2016

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

pig slut lisa posted:

can the mod of this web sight please change the thread title to acknwoledge the greatest book in the history of books!?

thank you :peanut:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

defectivemonkey posted:

I don't think they're allowed to call you an employee, though, which is why everyone is a *brand ambassador* or *seller* or *entrepreneur*
You're absolutely right, which is why I used scare quotes but I totally neglected to explain that.

Employees get things like benefits and job protection and, you know, a paycheck. Willing slaves just get to call themselves a bullshit non-controlled term and sacrifice hours of their life for a pittance of profit, because most people don't factor in the cost of their time when working :(

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
I need to start a MLM

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

JohnGalt posted:

I need to start a MLM

Excellent post and user name combination

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JohnGalt posted:

I need to start a MLM

How about we team up and find a way to MLM mystery boxes? Hell, we could all chip in and make it BWM thread goon project! Just hit the trifecta!

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

Sounds like someone couldn't wait until they were Diamond.

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Tommy used to work on the docks, union's been on strike
He's down on his luck, it's tough, so tough
Gina works the diner all day, working for her man
She brings home her pay, ,for love, for love

She says, we've got to hold on to what we've got
It doesn't make a difference if we make it or not
We've got each other and that's a lot for love
We'll give it a shot

Woah, we're half way shunned
Woah, Just Wait 'til We're Diamond
Take my hand, we'll make it I swear
Woah, Why am I a beggar?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Too many of them do it so it doesn't really make them money still unless you get in early/are a sociopath, basically the same as normal. Also you're not obligated to support MLMs just because you're mormon.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

How about we team up and find a way to MLM mystery boxes? Hell, we could all chip in and make it BWM thread goon project! Just hit the trifecta!

Horse boxes?

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010
Here's a great report put out by the Direct Selling Association (a trade group for MLMs) that they pulled from their site, presumably because it was so unflattering when you actually read it: http://web.archive.org/web/20150511224246/https://www.dsa.org/research/industry-statistics

If you take the number of salespeople they mention in the report and divide by the revenue for the industry, you get a number of something like $1944 in gross sales per MLM salesperson, with only a fraction of that going into their pockets.

My wife worked very briefly in the corporate headquarters of a retail electricity MLM (one of those deals where you have to pick your own electricity provider in a "deregulated" market) and it's hilarious how awful the business is: the average "consultant" for them opens a grand total of one account. On top of that, the profitability of their consumer business relies on hoping people are too lazy or inattentive to renew their contracts at the end of their fixed term plans. They make essentially no margin on fixed rate customers and rely on rolling them over to a floating rate month-to-month plan when their contract expires. The profit they get from one month on a floating-rate rollover plan is greater than what they get from an entire one-year contract (though this is actually pretty typical for retail energy companies).

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

No matter how many people are participating, it's mathematically impossible for everyone participating to have several people signed up underneath them - the majority of people are going to end up on the bottom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_92zhGt05gU

And the whole reason MLMs keep getting compared to pyramid schemes is that it's very rarely possible to make anything close to a living wage by personally going around and selling things (plus if you're that talented a salesperson, you could probably make way more money selling cars or real estate).

Cicero posted:

Also you're not obligated to support MLMs just because you're mormon.

No, there's nothing in Mormon canon directly obligating you to get into MLMs. Though according to an Ask/Tell thread by an ex-Mormon (which I can't seem to find now), their interpretation of the principle of "respect your elders" strongly discourages critical thinking.

Cockmaster fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 25, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Here's one (of many) articles about how MLM are big in Mormon communities and Utah became the MLM capitol of the U.S.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/theslice/mormon-utah-valley-multilevel-marketing-thrive-doterra

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Speaking of MLMs - just hired a guy who used to some IT work for this:

https://www.pureromance.com/

Apparently his wife was in pretty early. Having a hard time not making fun of it during work hours. We googled it right before his interview, clicked the shop button, and then quietly closed our browsers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tigntink posted:

Speaking of MLMs - just hired a guy who used to some IT work for this:

https://www.pureromance.com/

Apparently his wife was in pretty early. Having a hard time not making fun of it during work hours. We googled it right before his interview, clicked the shop button, and then quietly closed our browsers.

That reminds me that my boss was trying a little too hard to get our team assigned the project to make Adam & Eve .com's mobile site :v:

(We wound up not even getting them as a client, oh well)

e: Also that pure romance site is even more overpriced than I expected. Let me tell you how much you should be paying for a 6" rubber dong, it is definitely not $30+. Very BWDongs.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 26, 2016

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

This physically hurts.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

A Bag of Milk posted:

This physically hurts.

Yeah, now she'll never be diamond :v:

adamarama
Mar 20, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

Yeah, now she'll never be diamond :v:
You gotta feel the pressure first. You gotta be crushed in the molten fires of the earth before you become diamond. She's buckminsterfullerene at best.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

It came from reddit: someone spent 8k on clash of clans and now can't afford their car payments.

https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/54gbfp/tifu_by_spending_so_much_money_on_phone_games_im/ posted:

Over  a series of a few months I have spent 8 grand and I'm 6 thousand in debt. It's an addiction like a drug to me to have the cool things in these games like clash of clans and pokemon go. If I start paying off the maxed credit cards and over drafted bank accounts I wont be able to pay bills or car payments. I F U really bad.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

legendof posted:

It came from reddit: someone spent 8k on clash of clans and now can't afford their car payments.

You can't get a diamond e-penis without spending a little. Gotta catch 'em all y'all.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

adamarama posted:

You gotta feel the pressure first. You gotta be crushed in the molten fires of the earth before you become diamond. She's buckminsterfullerene at best.

"Just wait till we're a carbon atom soccer ball" sounds more like a Cold War book, I guess.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I feel like this fits the thread title very well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-55nwoXHG-w

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Sorry for the derail. Earlier in this thread, several people recommended a really good foam mattress that could be ordered from Amazon or something. What was it?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nitrox posted:

Sorry for the derail. Earlier in this thread, several people recommended a really good foam mattress that could be ordered from Amazon or something. What was it?

Tuft & Needle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nitrox posted:

Tuft and Needle and Casper are two very good mattresses you can order from amazon.

Perfect Cloud and Dream Sleep are also good, but are budget brands.

Tuft and Casper will run you $600 to $800 for a Queen.

Perfect Cloud and Dream Sleep are in the $300 to $500 range for a Queen.

• Locked thread