Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

drrockso20 posted:

Worth mentioning that another former Sonic writer has decided to sue Archie and Sega over the rights to their old characters(probably at the behest of Penders), hopefully Archie can take care of this before Sega gets mad at them again
I don't know how poo poo Archie's contracts were, but any not-retarded comic company would include a fairly explicit Work for Hire clause about characters no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

FilthyImp posted:

I don't know how poo poo Archie's contracts were, but any not-retarded comic company would include a fairly explicit Work for Hire clause about characters no?

Contracts were lost in a fire/flood. That's the source of this whole stupid mess.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FilthyImp posted:

Archie lost the original contracts in a fire, and due to it's lawyers at the time of the Penders trial being incompetent morons the backups they had got thrown out as being legally valid(Archie would fire these lawyers due to this), which is why that mess even made it to trial in the first place

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I bought the first issue of the Betty & Veronica reboot and it's quite enjoyable. The art is lovely, and the writing is fun, although I could do without the narration device AKA the dog. Looking forward to buying more, and wow I wish some of those alternate covers were easier to find, because most of them are beautiful.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'll give it a chance for a while because I'm a diehard Archie reader, but this was easily the weakest debut they've done since they started getting experimental. My problems were:

1. Hot Dog as the narrator got old halfway through the book
2. There was very little of the actual Betty and Veronica, and what little there was, they barely spent talking to each other.
3. It was an extremely poor decision to just stop the comic in the middle to give us a splash of Betty and Veronica in swimsuits while Hot Dog told us that he ate the pages and a bunch of events were supposed to have happened.

I did like the parts where Betty and Veronica were actually there and talking, so it's got that going for it. Frankly I'm just glad Adam Hughes somehow didn't end up turning the book into a softcore Zenescope book, but if he doesn't get his act together... well, maybe this is one time that Archie's quick turnover of artists might actually be for the better.

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Aug 4, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't like it at all. It was boring (with a central conflict that was JUST in Jughead), the characters were all seemed weirdly mean to each other (and not just, like, Reggie being a dick), and it wasn't terribly funny or clever. Art was nice, but that's about all I can really compliment it on. I definitely won't be getting any more. (And yes, the swimsuit page was weird and I don't really know who that was for other than Hughes himself.)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why won't Sega let me use one of their most iconic characters of their most important franchise for my batshit insane projects :qq:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
brb, I'm going to sue Sega for exclusive rights to Shade.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't like it at all. It was boring (with a central conflict that was JUST in Jughead), the characters were all seemed weirdly mean to each other (and not just, like, Reggie being a dick), and it wasn't terribly funny or clever. Art was nice, but that's about all I can really compliment it on. I definitely won't be getting any more. (And yes, the swimsuit page was weird and I don't really know who that was for other than Hughes himself.)

It's especially odd as the plot of Pop's was done in Jughead, and the main book is doing a much better job setting up Betty and Veronica disliking each other without one of them being clearly an rear end in a top hat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Onmi posted:

As I've mentioned, this is a case of literally just someone looking for a pay day. Scott Fulop has done NOTHING since working at Archie, of which he was a writer for very few issues but an editor for many more. He only founded this company a month ago, and then purchased the rights to Mammoth Mogul etc. and now using that to sue Archie. A competent Lawyer would get this thrown out for the joke it is.

I thought Michael Gallagher created Mammoth Mogul anyway?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought Michael Gallagher created Mammoth Mogul anyway?

He probably did, but Scott Fulop purchased the rights to him. Of course he was only the writer on like... 2 issues, he was an editor for many more, so maybe he's making his claim as "I came up with these characters for the writers"?

It's all dumb, it's an obvious money grab. I think his main flaw was suing Sega as well. Archie may have financial trouble and would probably suffer to get this handled. Sega on the other hand...

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Onmi posted:

He probably did, but Scott Fulop purchased the rights to him. Of course he was only the writer on like... 2 issues, he was an editor for many more, so maybe he's making his claim as "I came up with these characters for the writers"?

It's all dumb, it's an obvious money grab. I think his main flaw was suing Sega as well. Archie may have financial trouble and would probably suffer to get this handled. Sega on the other hand...

Issue is, Sega might be like "Look, just give him what he wants, it's not like you use those characters anyway". They already essentially rolled over for Penders because he was too much trouble, and they don't really need the comics. Archie, on the other hand, could definitely use the continued income, and having Sega shrug again and be like "oh well" could do a good amount of damage.

At least, the way I understand it.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kurui Reiten posted:

Issue is, Sega might be like "Look, just give him what he wants, it's not like you use those characters anyway". They already essentially rolled over for Penders because he was too much trouble, and they don't really need the comics. Archie, on the other hand, could definitely use the continued income, and having Sega shrug again and be like "oh well" could do a good amount of damage.

At least, the way I understand it.

Well the penders thing is a misunderstanding, Archie sued HIM, not the other way around. And Penders two attempts to Sue Sega were thrown out.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
How much for the rights to Ronald the Rubber Boy

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Onmi posted:

A competent Lawyer would get this thrown out for the joke it is.

I think it's pretty obvious by now that those are in short supply at Archie. Along with competent accountants I guess, given their recent money troubles.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm hoping somebody's around who can annotate today's new issue of Afterlife with Archie, because it feels like there were a few dozen shout-outs I'm not equipped to see.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Wanderer posted:

I'm hoping somebody's around who can annotate today's new issue of Afterlife with Archie, because it feels like there were a few dozen shout-outs I'm not equipped to see.

Examples? It read pretty clear to me and I'm not an Archie buff or anything.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I haven't been posting a lot of annotations lately because AwA 9 and most of the Archie/Jughead issues to date haven't done much in the way of shout-outs. AwA #10 does have enough to warrant a post, but it actually has fewer Archie callbacks than you might think--a lot of the references are actually to things external to Archie.

Before I get to the most recent issue, there's a small reference in Afterlife With Archie 09 that didn't merit its own post.

• When Archie asks Kevin Keller to be his best man at his wedding, Kevin says that he'd take a bullet for Archie. In the series Life With Archie, depicting Archie's married life, Archie dies taking a bullet for Kevin.

Okay, now for Afterlife With Archie 10
  • Okay, right off the bat, I have no idea who Blankenship is supposed to be, if he's meant to be anyone at all.
  • Josie and The Pussycats - Archie's most popular band. They might even be more popular than The Archies, the company's flagship band.
  • Alexandra Cabot - In the classic comics, Alexandra Cabot is the same age as the Pussycats, and the sister of their manager, Alex Cabot. She's pretty mean and is always either scheming to take Josie's boyfriend Alan, or trying to worm her way into being a member of the Pussycats. She's also infrequently depicted as having unexplained witch-powers, together with her cat, Sebastian, but they don't seem to be going in that direction here.
  • Melody and Valerie are the members of the Pussycats that we all know and love. Melody is the airheaded one, while Valerie is the best friend.
  • Pepper Smith - Fewer people know this, but Valerie was not an original member of the Pussycats. Early on, her slot was filled by Pepper Smith, who, in the old comics, was a short-haired brunette with glasses, and not a redhead. At some point, Pepper just mysteriously vanished and was replaced with Valerie with no explanation (that I know of).
  • The Cabot Sisters isn't a reference to Archie, but--I'm guessing--to a modern novel series (set in that time period, I think--I didn't bother to check) about four sisters trying to save their family from ruin.
  • Racists in Georgia - Obviously, these guys are a reference to Happy Happyism, a cult from the cult hit SNES RPG, Earthbound :v:
  • Henry Irving - He was a real life theater actor who is said to have been Bram Stoker's inspiration for Dracula. Bram Stoker even wrote a biography of him.
  • The party is probably a reference to The Great Gatsby--the titular character owned a mansion on Long Island where he'd hold parties.
  • Finally, The bands they formed are pastiches of various real bands (singing their actual songs too, in fact), and not, as you might think, bands from Archie comics:
    • The GI Dolls are the Andrews Sisters.
    • The Teen Queens were an actual musical group.
    • The Velvettes is either a typo or a pastiche of The Velvelettes.
    • The Queens of Disco is ABBA.
    • The Sugar & Spice Girls is pretty obvious. Edit: The Archies did have a real song titled Sugar and Spice, but it remains to be seen whether or not that's a coincidence.
    • Twilight's Child is Destiny's Child.

Argue fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 1, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cactus Jack posted:

Examples? It read pretty clear to me and I'm not an Archie buff or anything.

I didn't think it read poorly, but it seemed like it was potentially rich with references to Archie's comic history that I wasn't seeing. Argue took care of it.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Pepper was replaced with Valerie when the series realigned itself to become "Josie and the Pussycats" instead of just "Josie". She, along with Josie's old boyfriend Albert and her own boyfriend Sock, were cut when Hanna-Barbera acquired the rights to the characters. The idea was to create a cartoon show which would combine musical elements, like The Archie Show (Sugar, Sugar) and mystery-solving like its own successful Scooby Doo, Where Are You?

Thus, Pepper was never actually a member of the Pussycats! She disappeared when the comic's cast realigned itself to match the cartoon.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'd put money on her also re-appearing in the new Pussycats book that's out later this month, probably as the small town pal who's afraid of being left behind when the band hits it big.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Ryan North's run on Jughead starts today with #9; the first 6 issues were okay, but easily Chip's weakest output among all the comics he's been doing. Once he got over the fantasy sequence gimmick in issue 7, though, I felt the comic really felt like what a modern take on Jughead would feel like and I'd love to see him take another run at it some time (since he seems to be on quite good terms with them). Ryan's is equally strong so far, and while not as funny as Squirrel Girl, it feels just as fun (possibly moreso for me, being a huge Archie nerd), if that makes sense.

I've been enjoying its steady improvement over the last couple of months, is all I'm saying.

feetnotes posted:

Pepper was replaced with Valerie when the series realigned itself to become "Josie and the Pussycats" instead of just "Josie". She, along with Josie's old boyfriend Albert and her own boyfriend Sock, were cut when Hanna-Barbera acquired the rights to the characters. The idea was to create a cartoon show which would combine musical elements, like The Archie Show (Sugar, Sugar) and mystery-solving like its own successful Scooby Doo, Where Are You?

Thus, Pepper was never actually a member of the Pussycats! She disappeared when the comic's cast realigned itself to match the cartoon.

gently caress. I am shamed; consider me schooled.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ryan's take on Betty is actually the best part of the issue. I've got high hopes for Sabrina, though. I suspect he may have pitched a Sabrina book, and Archie said "No, but Chip's finishing on Jughead, and Sabrina & Jughead used to hang out in the old books..."

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, Betty and Veronica are both great in this issue, ironically moreso than in their actual comic, and I'm really excited to see Ryan's take on Sabrina. I like that magic didn't factor into the issue at all and that he concentrated on them actually being friends. I doubt he pitched a Sabrina comic though; my personal guess based on their Twitter and that one joke he made in Sex Criminals is that Archie couldn't afford to pay him a lot so he recommended this one sucker he knew who'd work for peanuts.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Based on the cover, I assume next issue is Sabrina getting upset that Jughead isn't attracted to her without the costume, and using magic to mess with him, then he finds out she's a witch, they have a heart-to-heart, and boom, we've established the 'Jugs is the only one in Riverdale who knows her secret' thing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Archie #12 was pretty great, doing a solid job misdirecting you into assuming the plot was one thing and then going the way the cover implied, while managing to do the love triangle, but without the weird thing where Betty and Veronica are simultaneously clawing each other's eyes out and BFFs.

Also, the reprint in the back was surprising, because I never knew Waid worked for Archie previously and wrote stories for the old house style.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I knew he got his start with Archie, or at least did quite a bit for them, but I had no idea he actually wrote for them. More often than not, classic Archie comics tend not to credit the writer or artist, which made it hard for me to realize until just a few years ago that most of my favorite classic stories were written and drawn by the same guy--Bob Bolling.

Archie's been solid the whole time, but I'm especially glad that they finally managed to get the B/V friendship up and running. It's just a shame that their interactions in both this issue and Jughead #9 underscored what a weak start the actual Betty and Veronica comic had.

That said, I'm more excited for next week's debut of their newest reboot, Josie and the Pussycats! It's being written by Marguerite Bennett; I've liked what little I've read of her work so I'm fairly hyped. Plus, she seems to have implied that we're going to be getting not just music/band drama, but old-school crime ring-busting antics.

Edit: I said next week but it's this week!

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 26, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question tangentially-related to Archie: when they had the Archies as a band in the 1960s and Josie and the Pussycats in the 1970s, why did they have Betty and Valerie (respectively) playing tambourines but neither band had a bass guitar?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Because nobody gives a poo poo about bass guitar except people that play bass guitar.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Valerie actually did play bass in the old comics. It was switched to thh tambourine when the cartoon came out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wade Wilson posted:

Because nobody gives a poo poo about bass guitar except people that play bass guitar.

Nobody cares about bass guitar until the bass line is missing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The tambourine's completely indispensable, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm jazzed about Josie too, though I couldn't care less about the Reggie book that's upcoming.

I'm enjoying the Kevin mini, though. It's interesting mostly because it's an old-school Archie sensibility, but with the characters aged up. So instead of Veronica hiding in a booth at Pop's to avoid ruining Kevin's date, she's hiding under the couch and trying to escape when he brings his boyfriend home for the evening.

Oh, and Archie #13 has the re-debut of my favourite character: Cheryl! I hope Waid goes for broke and just makes her the most unpleasant person imaginable, presumably so bad she makes Ronnie see how people in Riverdale see her and makes her understand them a bit more.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Valerie didn't exist until the cartoon started coming out, so she had a tambourine from the start in both the cartoon and comic.

She was probably given a tambourine simply for the visual variety of instruments. A 3-person band in which 2 of the characters are doing essentially the same thing doesn't look as good as if they have 3 distinct actions. Go pull up the theme song on youtube (or probably any episode, since they reuse the same footage I think every time they play a song!), they have Val crashing 2 tambourines together, hitting them against her hips and shaking them in the air. Much more dynamic than another guitar would be!

Similarly, The Archies started out in the comic with the lineup of just Archie, Reggie and Jughead. At the time they played guitar, drums and keyboard respectively - again, you get the variety of 3 different instruments but as it was not animated, they wouldn't really care that the keyboard isn't as dynamic to play. When Betty and Veronica were added to the lineup for the cartoon, the roles reshuffled: Jughead took over on drums, Veronica inherited the keyboard, and Reggie manned the newly-added bass guitar (because with a 5 person lineup you can justify the repetition and besides, what else are they going to give him at that point? Bongos? A saxophone?). But Betty still got the tambourine, and in the opening for The Archie Show you can see her swinging it around, alternating beats between her hip and opposite wrist in a showy, animated fashion.

As time passed and tambourines became less ubiquitous in band lineups, Valerie did pick up the bass and I think plays it exclusively now. Betty's still archaically clangin' away but I think they make a bigger deal of her and Archie being lead vocalists now.

Bonus: while I was looking stuff up for this I even found a picture of a Sabrina/Archies paper doll set where Sabrina gets saddled with the ol' tambourine! I guess the house style must have settled on it as SOP:

ed: just noticed Reggie seems to have a banjo in that picture! Curious as to whether this showed up in any stories, I went back down the rabbit hole and found a few pages from a story where they lampshade Betty's tambourine playing:

feetnotes fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 26, 2016

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Do you have those digitally or something? I have a fuckton of digests/double digests and that's one of two "Betty does tambourine" stories I wanted to post, but gently caress if I know how to locate them; it would probably take me hours to find them. I lucked out and found the Jughead stories I once posted about quite fast but sometimes there's a particular story I want to reply with and it's just too much effort.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

No, I got lucky and found those just googling. I know the feeling though, knowing there's a story you want to cite....SOMEwhere in a giant shelf of digests.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Weirdly, the reboot has kept Betty on tambourine in the recent battle of the bands issue.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

I'd put money on her also re-appearing in the new Pussycats book that's out later this month, probably as the small town pal who's afraid of being left behind when the band hits it big.

Looks like you called it!

Cool that her glasses, her most defining feature, can stay the same and just read as 'retro' now. The style's probably just as popular as when she was created.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Quick review: I enjoyed the first issue of Josie and the Pussycats; the characters had good personalities, the interactions were well written, it was funny, and the art was top notch. The biggest flaw was that I felt it was maybe two issues of content compressed into one (edit: or at the very least, they could have done away with the backup reprint and added more pages for the debut), which hurt it because I didn't really buy that everything could happen so fast--going through the full spectrum of band tropes from "Josie is a struggling solo act" to "infighting in the band" to "now we're very popular". I expect that this was because they wanted to get the Pussycats together in short order, and that the pacing will be better moving forward now that they've established a status quo.

Besides, Marguerite Bennett said that the Mystery Inc cartoon was an influence so it's basically gonna be impossible for it to turn out bad.

Argue fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Josie was pretty good, though it hit a lot of the same beats as the first issue of Jem, plus it's thrown any illusion of these New Riverdale books being all in the same world out, because I'm fairly sure Val's shown up in Archie as a teen, not a grown woman with a vet's degree. And this wasn't a negative, but the book was a little racier than I'd have thought Archie was going for with these titles. I mean, no more so than I'd expect from Bennett, but honestly, the sex jokes were more explicit than she's even put in Bombshells, and that book has everyone sleeping with everyone.

• Locked thread