Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Serious question for you Beer: How do you feel about being the "regular guy" buffer between the egos of Chris Roberts and Derek Smart in that article?

Also, how does it feel to be famous? Are you going to turn into a massive jerk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheLightPurges posted:

Are you gonna be okay? This is a safe space

Hello commando, how much are you in for?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

TheLightPurges posted:

Are you gonna be okay? This is a safe space

:allears:

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Lackadaisical Phraseologist

The elegant dance of animosity and ignorance is such a beautiful thing to behold.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
so whats going on with this game. is it true over 100 millions has been donated to make it?!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

In addition to providing The Escapist with comments, Roberts also published an open letter on the RSI website. Here, he didn’t sound like the CEO of the most successful crowdfunding project ever, with its own media division. The rhetoric was more reminiscent of something you might find on a shady subreddit. (According to him, the letter took over eight hours to write.) Beyond calling The Escapist reporter’s credibility into question, he claimed that Derek Smart had orchestrated the entire article. “I know you say that ‘none of these [statements] come from Derek’ but we both know that’s not true. You are quoting the exact same things in your email he has spewed in his blogs and twitter for months. […] This is the same person who wrote a letter to Origin and me after Wing Commander was out claiming that we were infringing on his game and we had to cease publishing it or he would sue us. We told him we never heard of him and good luck with that. He never sued.

Roberts didn’t pull any punches: “The only person who is famous for being a blowhard, bully, an awful game developer and human being is Derek Smart.”

As for Smart himself, he was more bemused than anything by the whole debacle. “Wing Commander was an exceptional game and of course it set the standard,” he tells us, adding: “I never wrote them a letter, that letter does not exist. […] That’s the reason why, when I saw him make that claim that I was going to sue them, I was upset, because I never back away from an argument. I never go back on things because it is not my style. So I knew for a fact it never happened. And I knew that what they were trying to do was to try and establish some sort of imaginary pattern to make it look like that was the reason that I am doing this now. You see what I mean. Even though there was no proof or evidence. I can… It just never happened. It never happened.

Well Derek, couldn't you sue over this? This was a very specific claim he made, it should be easy to refute since no one else would back him up, no?

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Kurtofan posted:

so whats going on with this game. is it true over 100 millions has been donated to make it?!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

In order for them to know the article was talking about you, they had to have read it

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

but how.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Xarbala posted:

In order for them to know the article was talking about you, they had to have read it

They may have had to read this thread to make the connection? I'm not exactly how common the knowledge required to make the connection is.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Dreams

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

On the plus side Beer, we have confirmation that you don't have to worry about reddit learning your real name

Jimeth posted:

They may have had to read this thread to make the connection? I'm not exactly how common the knowledge required to make the connection is.

All that reddit knows about Beer is filtered through an elaborate game of Libelous Telephone

So when an article actually states basic facts about his involvement in the case they're suddenly left with their dicks in their hands but no ice cream cake

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Xarbala posted:

On the plus side Beer, we have confirmation that you don't have to worry about reddit learning your real name

All that reddit knows about Beer is filtered through an elaborate game of Libelous Telephone

So when an article actually states basic facts about his involvement in the case they're suddenly left with their dicks in their hands but no ice cream cake

Shitizens: Unknowingly loving themselves in the arse for our delicious amusement.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

When Planets V2 comes out, can I spend 3 days building a giant featureless sand castle blob?

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

MilesK posted:

When Planets V2 comes out, can I spend 3 days building a giant featureless sand castle blob?

You can if you believe you can.

Chris Ihao
Aug 20, 2016

Thats Professor Elemental, my dear Watson

By typing in a fantasy number in an excel spreadsheet. The graph is clearly directly copied from excel (there is a watermark in the top right corner).

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

MilesK posted:

All in all, a fantastic and well spent week. We took the cardboard off the beach after this picture. No littering was done in the making of this space ship. If you like what you see, we would be most grateful if you used this referral code. STAR-9SCH-RCD7

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Hello commando, how much are you in for?

The exact amount of my confidence in the project. Which is reasonably high. But still lol at Beer posting his own ownage here looking for sympathy.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheLightPurges posted:

The exact amount of my confidence in the project. Which is reasonably high. But still lol at Beer posting his own ownage here looking for sympathy.

lmao

I don't think you realized what just happened

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

TheLightPurges posted:

Ooh hang on, I know how to speak Reddit.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
Just shining a little light on this charade is all. Have your fun.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not only did a redditor self-own on reddit trying to own Beer, but another one dropped by and had the same thing happened to him

I'm loving this poo poo

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
/r/Games: The 24-Year Feud That Has Dogged Star Citizen (Kotaku.co.uk)

ContributorX_PJ64
It really bothers me how this petty schoolyard feud has overshadowed real critique of the game's development woes. You've got heaps of people willing to parrot about how the game is a vaporware scam just because Derek Smart says so.
Derek Smart, once upon a time, was a rather impressive developer, at least on paper. A sort of one man game development cyclone who clearly had no idea how to work effectively with a team or to deliver a working game on any sort of deadline.
But he hasn't produced anything interesting in decades. Wheras Roberts has produced SOMETHING.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Teqliua makes all typos okay

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Quavers posted:

/r/Games: The 24-Year Feud That Has Dogged Star Citizen (Kotaku.co.uk)

ContributorX_PJ64
It really bothers me how this petty schoolyard feud has overshadowed real critique of the game's development woes. You've got heaps of people willing to parrot about how the game is a vaporware scam just because Derek Smart says so.
Derek Smart, once upon a time, was a rather impressive developer, at least on paper. A sort of one man game development cyclone who clearly had no idea how to work effectively with a team or to deliver a working game on any sort of deadline.
But he hasn't produced anything interesting in decades. Wheras Roberts has produced SOMETHING.

Honestly when you look at one or the other you realize there is no comparison. One just doesn't think big and has an extremely small worldview. Lots of small people out there. Not sure why someone would bother writing that giant article about it. Seems like a waste to me.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

TheLightPurges posted:

Honestly when you look at one or the other you realize there is no comparison. One just doesn't think big and has an extremely small worldview. Lots of small people out there. Not sure why someone would bother writing that giant article about it. Seems like a waste to me.

Agreed, Chris settling on releasing an MVP is a betrayal that shows his heart is just not in it.

Jimeth
Apr 14, 2016

Xarbala posted:

Not only did a redditor self-own on reddit trying to own Beer, but another one dropped by and had the same thing happened to him

I'm loving this poo poo

This thread makes me smile so drat much.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I had one dude whose hated me every since middle school. Dude doesn't matter at all and is like 5' 6'' to boot so karmic justice there.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

alphabettitouretti posted:

i'm a "fan girl" as you know teehee hello boys

jfc this is so obviously a paid shill. Either they've hired the most incompent firm or (my preferred theory) they realised that cultists are so stupid they don't need to put any effort into their astroturfing.

I'd guess its multiple people at a company.

They probably have a ticker running through the day that pops up to direct them what to do.

9:32am: ABH: Star Citizen: Find a user on the SC forum with a negative opinion and attack them.

10:48am: ABH: Star Citizen: Find a new gaming forum and start a thread about the game.

3:54pm: ABH: Star Citizen: Check attack thread, respond to user. Back up users joining in, congratulate and support their good choice.

Etc etc. My guess is there's more than just Star Citizen hitting their next action queue, but they cycle all day long doing this stuff.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Cymelion if you're reading this thread please post here.

Please.

I'm begging you.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

thatguy posted:

Please.

I'm begging you.

He's too busy doing damage control:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/54jxqy/kotaku_the_24year_feud_that_has_dogged_star/d82hpaz

"The only thing DS has ever wanted since Star Citizen was a success was to have his name attached to it somehow. If it couldn't be as a developer - he'd attach it anyway he could.
Please be civil over this - and to those who think they're going to win the internet by foaming at the mouth in the comment sections and other forums. You're only going to be a bigger target for trolls - let this one slide and skip commenting on it and it'll disappear faster - keep engaging and it'll all anyone wants to talk about.
What happened in gaming last week - do any of you remember the new card-game that was announced or the DLC that is coming up for that game you haven't finished playing. No because its not kept in the medias eyes - how long it takes you to get over this article is how long it will stay in the publics eye."

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

thatguy posted:

Please.

I'm begging you.

I've read a lot of his posts over the last few years. They seem to have too high of a standard to post here.

But I don't mind rolling around in the mud every now and then.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

I really want to see Derek post a comment in that /r/StarCitizen thread. poo poo would fly. And it'd be spectacular.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheLightPurges posted:

Just shining a little light on this charade is all. Have your fun.

Thanks for the 10 bucks!

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Quavers posted:

I really want to see Derek post a comment in that /r/StarCitizen thread. poo poo would fly. And it'd be spectacular.

He'd be laughed and jeered at. Just like he is everyday all over the internet. A few eager beavers might get a little mad but that's about it.

Theres a reason he hides here.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
How much are you in for, TheLightPurges?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

thatguy posted:

Please.

I'm begging you.

Cymelion & GORF discuss Star Citizen.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

TheLightPurges posted:

He'd laughed and jeered at. Just like he is everyday all over the internet. A few eager beavers might get a little mad but that's about it.

Theres a reason he hides here.

"He said, as Derek Smart continues to post on his own website and the Frontier Forums"

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

TheLightPurges posted:

I had one dude whose hated me every since middle school. Dude doesn't matter at all and is like 5' 6'' to boot so karmic justice there.

lol, $10 this guy was your bully and he doesn't give a gently caress about you and wouldn't even recognise you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"He said, as Derek Smart continues to post on his own website and the Frontier Forums"

Very controlled situations where he controls the message. His own personal website, his own pocket forum right here, and a SWAT team of eager supporters ready to defend Derek for their own Elite game on Frontier. Cowardly, but understandable. No one likes to get owned.

• Locked thread