Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Dr. Faustus posted:

Guys. Wow. Guys. Real rally spec this time. They put in some very cool body options this time around for the 1982 Lancia 037 Stradale. It's nearly period livery perfect, now. Nearly.

Is it as wonderfully unwieldy to drive as in Dirt Rally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Depends on how you set up the suspension. I enjoy it on and off-road. It's one of my top five favorite cars for A-Class range.

I am tuning differently in FH3. Less on tires and more in HP. I am finding a balance that works well in races against AI.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Drastic Actions posted:

I have an LG Ultrawide monitor and while you can select the full resolution, it has a bunch of weird issues with the aspect ratio and resolution. The game expects a more standard resolution so that UI elements will pop in and out and black bars abound.

I also have an ultrawide monitor, but no weirdness or issues with Horizon 3 on PC. The UI adapts just fine to the 21:9 aspect ratio, and I usually spot issues with ultrawide resolution in other games, especially console ports where the developers don't always seem to remember that the UI can be displayed in aspect ratios other that 16:9.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Anyone know of a VPN or something to get this on NZ time?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

-Spiffy- posted:

If you see the "Goliath Circuit" be forewarned, it's a circuit of the entire outside if the map.

Mostly full throttle it took me 15 minutes in an e46 m3.

This is totally my kind of poo poo in a game like this.

Also between the aesthetics and the roads themselves just being way better, this map completely blows the previous 2 games out of the water. The more I drive around it, the more I like it. I do wish that they didn't gate so much of the online stuff away behind progression, though.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Here's my oldy:

I don't think the yellow on the Goodyear logos came out right, but gently caress if I can fix it right now. Also, literally none of the tunes I tried to import from anywhere contained valid parts :mad:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How likely am I to get a TX wheel with a Clubsport pedals to work with this on PC? I have a CPX Basherboard adapter if that makes any diffrence.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Cubey posted:

This is totally my kind of poo poo in a game like this.

Also between the aesthetics and the roads themselves just being way better, this map completely blows the previous 2 games out of the water. The more I drive around it, the more I like it. I do wish that they didn't gate so much of the online stuff away behind progression, though.

It actually feels like a real place and not some artificial mini country but its hard to explain why. I guess its a scale thing because even though its bigger, at first it seems smaller or about the same.

what online features are locked behind progression? i havent checked it out yet.

The music this year is terrible. Its not even that i dont like the genre's its that they chose such horrible songs from them. Even the classical station is worse.

Also whoever writes the dialog needs to be fired. The dj's constantly make comments that dont make sense. Either they didnt understand slang or they put in so little effort they dont give a gently caress they are saying nonsensical things. The brotastic poo poo was always annoying but i feel like it used to at least make sense.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Is anyone else on PC having terrible crashing issues? Or if it actually manages to run, godawful stuttering problems?

I've managed to stop it crashing on startup by leaving it windowed rather than full screen. However the stuttering is practically gamebreaking. With vsync on and frame smoothing on, its like having bullet time for half a second every couple of seconds. With them off, its a slideshow of skipping frames every couple of seconds. Doesn't matter if i use low/medium/high/ultra settings with or without dynamic optimization.

Then when it does crash it takes out the nvidia drivers, and locks my graphics card in low power mode until rebooting. Awesome.

I've tried latest nvidia drivers, previous version, all with clean installs, same issues and both.

The only odd things I can see are stupidly low CPU usage averaging around 25%, and a wildly fluctuating GPU usage 96-97%, then instant dips to between 30-60% causing a stutter/slow-mo. GPU power level never goes above 70%, temps are sit at a constant 52*C as if the games hardly taxing my system. If i stay in a pause screen GPU usage stays a constant 97%, if I'm driving around, constant dips every few seconds.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Norns posted:

How likely am I to get a TX wheel with a Clubsport pedals to work with this on PC? I have a CPX Basherboard adapter if that makes any diffrence.

I have a TX wheel that works for iRacing. I haven't tried FH3 on PC yet.

Edit: You cannot switch between a wheel and a controller right now (or at least I can't). Makes photo mode loving useless :(

Atmus posted:

Also, literally none of the tunes I tried to import from anywhere contained valid parts :mad:

I've been having the same problem. But I bet if you did a side-by-side parts comparison, they are the same like mine :argh:

geeves fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 26, 2016

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Pinny posted:

Is anyone else on PC having terrible crashing issues? Or if it actually manages to run, godawful stuttering problems?
I've been having some problems, but fairly isolated ones. In a couple of spots now, most often when leaving a festival area, it gets choppy for a few seconds and suddenly crashes to desktop, and it takes a full system reboot before I can start the game without it crashing. Once I'm actually out and roaming it's all perfectly smooth, though.

I do get continuous "Low Video Memory!" warnings popping up though, since this is only a 2GB card.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I've only had one or two crashes on PC and I played almost all weekend. Still can't join online adventure/freeroam though.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I have had 3 or 4 hard locks on xbox and it mostly seems to happen when i assume its grabbing data off the network. its always when loading something or saving or looking at liveries etc.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

The drivatars from GRRC have transformed me from a clean racer into mad max. A few of you guys are real fuckers, you know who you are! :argh:

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Norns posted:

The TX wheel is supported, but it won't work at the moment if you got the alcantara leather wheel. I have a T500RS also with the leather wheel, and I had put on the stock wheel in order to get it to work. And by "work" I mean that steering works, but force feedback is completely flaccid and altogether useless, which is apparently a common issue with a lot of steering wheels at the moment. I am currently playing with a controller until it gets fixed, because having just the controller rumble and haptic feedback is better than the totally dull level of force feedback from the wheel.

I also have a Basherboard adapter, and that is currently the only way I could get my Fanatec pedals to work with Horizon. It doesn't seem like there is any support for separate usb pedals.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The lovely FFB is the only thing you complain about? So I suppose the less than 180° end to end is supposed to be normal in Forza, or can I expect it to be more than that with proper support? The low end to end angle is a pain in the rear end driving fast, because things get too sensitive trying to keep the wheel centered (with what there being no tension when centered on at least the G27).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 26, 2016

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

The lovely FFB is the only thing you complain about? So I suppose the less than 180 end to end is supposed to be normal in Forza, or can I expect it to be more than that with proper support? The low end to end angle is a pain in the rear end driving fast, because things get too sensitive trying to keep the wheel centered (with what there being no tension when centered on at least the G27).

One thing I noticed with my G27 is even though Forza didn't recognise it and even though the animation is only 180 degrees lock to lock (though synced to my wheel angle), the game still made use of more of the rotation. Maybe not the whole 900, but that's better than 180

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
Hooray for cross platform play, but I'm wondering what kind of bullshit PC users are going to get up to inasfar as cheating or hacking that could corrupt online play.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Its Horizon who cares?

I AM THE TOILET
Jul 11, 2016
lol yeah if the fun's one sided i need to quit bein a little bitch about it you're right

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Dress up your barbie cars and have fun. If you are that serious about laptimes its probably a good idea to step out of bench racing because you can buy an irl car for the same price of some sim setups.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I AM THE TOILET posted:

lol yeah if the fun's one sided i need to quit bein a little bitch about it you're right

Basically yeah

Also you get the same progression if anyone in your group gets first so who cares just race friends in campaign coop

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Thief posted:

Dress up your barbie cars and have fun. If you are that serious about laptimes its probably a good idea to step out of bench racing because you can buy an irl car for the same price of some sim setups.

Yeah I can totally buy a F1 or LMP1 or nascar. I'll get right on that.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mr.Citrus posted:

The drivatars from GRRC have transformed me from a clean racer into mad max. A few of you guys are real fuckers, you know who you are! :argh:
I don't really drive that way, I swear!! I have a buddy who is playing FH3 as his first semi-serious racing game, on my recommendation; and the first thing he told me is that my drivatar is deplorable. It makes me sad. :(

I have had two console hard-locks since Thursday night. I'm looking forward to seeing how Playground optimzes the game from here.

RE: Tuning. It's been mentioned before but the parts basket is wonderful. I'm typically dropping 40-50k on parts each build and not having to commit funds towards the wrong parts is a major improvement. What sucks to me is how long it takes the engine to simulate performance. II use it extensively to set brake bias and waiting for the braking times to calculate is annoying. I hope they can speed it up if enough people ask them to.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Dr. Faustus in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue9UMk-jpUU&t=325s

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
Maybe he thought you quit out under the bridge again :shobon:

Also holy poo poo, Howdy is a Horizon Machine the past couple days!

Does anyone have me on their Line Up thing? I'm curious as to how good/lovely the game thinks I am.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Nah, I just had no control over the car. I forgot to turn TCS on.

I have been able to play a lot of Horizon, but still not as much as I'd have liked. Friday was my birthday but I couldn't get the day off, so I played as much as I could Thursday night and left work early on Friday. Bought my own birthday cake. :(

I did manage to get a personal day approved for Saturday, though; so I played as much as I could in between breaks/meals/sleep. Unfortunately tomorrow afternoon it's back to the grind. I don't get a lot of gaming in during my workweek. Hopefully I'll get to switch from Tues.-Sat. to Mon.-Fri. in October (I need to train my Saturday replacement. She tried out solo on Saturday, I'll find out how she did tomorrow.)

I'm off to watch the debate, but if anyone has a winch I could use a little help:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

DogonCrook posted:

It actually feels like a real place and not some artificial mini country but its hard to explain why. I guess its a scale thing because even though its bigger, at first it seems smaller or about the same.
I guess?
It does feel real but at the same time, like every game based around real locations, the scale is waaaay off.

Coober Pedy to Gold Coast? San Diego to Portland.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Croccers posted:

I guess?
It does feel real but at the same time, like every game based around real locations, the scale is waaaay off.

You have no idea how disappointed I was that Horizon 1 wasn't actually Colorado.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Atmus posted:

You have no idea how disappointed I was that Horizon 1 wasn't actually Colorado.
WHAT?!!?!

Pictured: The Droid You Are Looking For:

I did say, "Want."

I used to think I saw w0lrah a lot but then this happened. h4x!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Sep 27, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Croccers posted:

I guess?

Yeah I'm real disappointed it doesn't take actual days to travel between events.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Dr. Faustus posted:

RE: Tuning. It's been mentioned before but the parts basket is wonderful. I'm typically dropping 40-50k on parts each build and not having to commit funds towards the wrong parts is a major improvement. What sucks to me is how long it takes the engine to simulate performance. II use it extensively to set brake bias and waiting for the braking times to calculate is annoying. I hope they can speed it up if enough people ask them to.

The parts bucket is so god drat useful for comparing engine builds.

Also if anyone's wondering, you unlock extra hidden cars by doing the midnight battles (challenge other drivitars out on the road > 10 challenges unlock street races > 4 street races unlock a 1v1 midnight battle for a locked car)

Games so pretty.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

For the midnight battles do the opponents scale vs what you bring? I don't actually enjoy driving the hyper cars all that much, but don't want to get blown out if I bring an A class.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Finally got the game working, didn't realize I had to update to the latest version of Windows10 to even begin installing...

And of course I immediately figured this to be the best choice among the selection of starter cars to bash up:

:rice:

Norns posted:

Yeah I can totally buy a F1 or LMP1 or nascar. I'll get right on that.

Fortunately it's considerably cheaper than that to participate in what is objectively America's greatest race series. 🍋

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jabro posted:

Yeah I'm real disappointed it doesn't take actual days to travel between events.

I would loving love the next Forza Horizon to be on the scale of The Crew. The concept of that game is rad, too bad everything else about it sucks.

Spork o Doom
May 31, 2011

Fayez Butts posted:

I rolled a Ford GT Horizon Edition and let me tell you I am thrilled

I rolled one of these the other night and it was so terrifying I turned TCS back on in difficulty settings. My old man hands don't have the subtle range of motion I need to get the power down without turning the thing around on less than 4th gear.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I have a Thrustmaster wheel/pedal set up, but I only want to use the wheel for FH3. If I unplug the pedals, I don't get a wheel only set up. Is it possible to only use the wheel? If so, how? Thanks much for any help.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

Just a friendly PSA!

If you go to your garage and see the credit amount listed - choosing "remove from my garage" does not net you said amount of credits for selling that vehicle.

It doesn't give you anything, in fact.

RIP my $1.3m Koenigsegg I guess! :toot:

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Does anyone know if Rival races are at all structured toward your difficulty settings? I'm currently playing with the most difficult settings and I'm wondering if the player ghosts I'm against are using the same settings (beyond time flagging for collisions or rewinds).

Also I don't know if the monthly rival races are the same for everyone but the WRX v. Evo one is a super fun muddy dirt course with a lot of tight turns.

Joined the GRRC, ready to start a borderline obsession with this game. I loved Test Drive Unlimited 2 despite all of its (frequent and huge) flaws, so Horizons coming to PC is like the best thing. My goal is to get one (or several!) very popular skins, but there's already so many wildly impressive ones. I made an S207 STi skin but "making" is a strong word here considering it's basically yellow with a red stripe and it says S207 in sort of the right place since you can't debadge/move badges on the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

Zip! posted:

RIP my $1.3m Koenigsegg I guess! :toot:

That sucks for you but overall might be a good thing?

In the last regular Forza game I played, I lucked out with a multi-million dollar car reward on my first random bonus thingie and just sold it to instantly build my army of comedy options.

To me that's the main fun of the game, taking a shitbox car and customizing it in whatever way you can make it interesting. The thing that made the first Gran Turismo and Forzas cool were that you actually kind of had to drive them a bit before getting to do this.

• Locked thread