Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Hey, complete novice to Rally games and I'm struggling with Dirt Rally. No matter what (non RWD) car I drive, I seem to always have the car lock up mid turn. I've tried every technique from just taking the corner slow, breaking into it, handbreak turns and attempted Pendulum turns. None of them work, I always lock up. It's usually when going beyond a 45 degree turn, so hairpins are impossible for me, and I'm averaging out 50kph going into the turns.

Turn on ABS for an immediate solution.

Or you can lower brake pressure to mitigate a heavy finger. I play with ABS on. The game is enough of a challenge as is that I'm completely OK letting some behind the scenes stuff occur so I can have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Ghostdog; I can't decide between either Spa or Road America - the latter I think would be more fun but probably easier to crash at, the former would also be fun but easier to recover because of all the paved run-off. You can pick either one of those two if you'd like!

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

hairpins are impossible for me

Try kicking the clutch when you feel like you're about to lose momentum during low speed hairpin turns.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

IceAgeComing posted:

Ghostdog; I can't decide between either Spa or Road America - the latter I think would be more fun but probably easier to crash at, the former would also be fun but easier to recover because of all the paved run-off. You can pick either one of those two if you'd like!

Let's do Road America, everybody already does Spa all the time.

:siren:Next Event:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Turn on ABS for an immediate solution.

Or you can lower brake pressure to mitigate a heavy finger. I play with ABS on. The game is enough of a challenge as is that I'm completely OK letting some behind the scenes stuff occur so I can have fun.

ABS is on default, which I believe is 5 (full), unless it switched my settings after plugging in the wheel. I'll try playing around with my brake pressure and tuning my car.

Thief posted:

Try kicking the clutch when you feel like you're about to lose momentum during low speed hairpin turns.

I don't have a clutch.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Set up a button clutch for one of the buttons on your wheel. It's not perfect, but it gets the job done. Same for the handbrake.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Hey, complete novice to Rally games and I'm struggling with Dirt Rally. No matter what (non RWD) car I drive, I seem to always have the car lock up mid turn. I've tried every technique from just taking the corner slow, breaking into it, handbreak turns and attempted Pendulum turns. None of them work, I always lock up. It's usually when going beyond a 45 degree turn, so hairpins are impossible for me, and I'm averaging out 50kph going into the turns.
Dirt rally is the first rally game I played much of so don't worry about starting here. Best advice IMO is to start playing without any aids, I struggled until I took the dive and left them behind. Even ABS will hurt you in the long run because being able to lock up your brakes on demand is useful and eventually you will get a feel for it.

It is honestly just practice. It seems impossible at first but I swear anyone can pick it up eventually. I started out loving useless and frustrated, never being able to get anywhere near finishing a stage without sliding straight off corners. I started to pick up the wales stages earlier than the rest so I focused more on them and now I have top 50 times on a bunch of stages there but I'm terrible at tarmac because I just haven't played them enough and still pretty bad at Greece because there are so many hairpins and they are basically the hardest turn in the game to master. Really don't worry about being terrible at them because I still can't do them properly and I can do this on square corners.

This video was helpful starting out, explains the fundamentals of rally in game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlBntwsOdA

Just start the career in the 60s and work up, no easier way tbh. There are just too many things to learn to start going through them theoretically. Also once you get through a career difficulty or two, don't neglect rallycross. Its quite useful for learning the feel of cars because you can practice the same corner trial and error over and over with minimal negative effects. ie you wont feel like you just blew a 3min stage on one corner and not have a chance to try and correct it and throwing caution to the wind and just chucking a big pendulum is the only way to learn to do it.

Qmass fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 25, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

And it turns out my handbrake key wasn't properly bound. Tutorial videos like that one linked are useless to me, since I get the theory as it's all presented in the game itself. What I don't get is the raw input timings and what I'm actually doing. Love the co-driver, but I wish you could flip a switch that made him criticise you instead of tell you the turns so that I can figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong and how to describe it and fix it.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

I don't have pedals either, I use a Xbox controller:

A = Clutch
Y = Handbrake
X = Shift up
B = Shift down

You generally just have to tap the clutch for a second or two as you floor it. It forces the wheels to slip and lets you power through the rest of the hairpin in a smooth slide. The best way to describe timing is to use it right when you feel like you're sliding into a stop or losing too much momentum.

Handbrakes are just something you can toy with and it'll take a lot more practice to get a feel for.

Usually it only needs like a brief moment to get the desired effect but in FWD/AWD cars you have to be way more aggressive with them. Think of them as a good way to drag your rear end end out, especially during understeer situations where you're sliding diagonally into a wall or something. :yosbutt:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Someone asked yesterday about FFB INI editing in AMS, and I wanted to write something up but this official post explains it pretty well I think: http://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/automobilista-how-the-ffb-works-and-what-is-new-about-it.45/

The important things are:
- The many FFB settings in the "controller.ini" are not used any more, they were only used by the old FFB system before RealFeel.
- MaxForceAtSteeringRack and SmoothingLevel in "realfeel.ini" are the only values you should ever need to touch yourself, and you can do so from within the game - google "rfactor realfeel keyboard shortcuts" or find them in my post history here. Having them at your fingertips is very convenient.
- Larger values (positive or negative) means LESS force on the wheel, that's because the actual physical force created by driving is scaled to the possible MaxForce.
- It also means that if you make MaxForce to small the game will software clip the FFB.
- In order to avoid software clipping technically the best you can do is to set ingame FFB to +/-100 and then adjust the MaxForce per car.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Also, I bought VRC Pro during a sale recently and it's quite fun if somewhat amateurish in overall appearance.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

And it turns out my handbrake key wasn't properly bound. Tutorial videos like that one linked are useless to me, since I get the theory as it's all presented in the game itself. What I don't get is the raw input timings and what I'm actually doing. Love the co-driver, but I wish you could flip a switch that made him criticise you instead of tell you the turns so that I can figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong and how to describe it and fix it.
The video goes on to explain all the timing and ordering for those things including the clutch but I guess its useless to you, even though I re-watched it after 250hrs and still picked up something useful. :eng101:

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

GhostDog posted:

Someone asked yesterday about FFB INI editing in AMS, and I wanted to write something up but this official post explains it pretty well I think: http://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/automobilista-how-the-ffb-works-and-what-is-new-about-it.45/

The important things are:
- The many FFB settings in the "controller.ini" are not used any more, they were only used by the old FFB system before RealFeel.
- MaxForceAtSteeringRack and SmoothingLevel in "realfeel.ini" are the only values you should ever need to touch yourself, and you can do so from within the game - google "rfactor realfeel keyboard shortcuts" or find them in my post history here. Having them at your fingertips is very convenient.
- Larger values (positive or negative) means LESS force on the wheel, that's because the actual physical force created by driving is scaled to the possible MaxForce.
- It also means that if you make MaxForce to small the game will software clip the FFB.
- In order to avoid software clipping technically the best you can do is to set ingame FFB to +/-100 and then adjust the MaxForce per car.

I will do this. Thank you. Having the FFB clip in the kink at 1% ingame was challenging. My arms got a work out during the Road America race lemme tell you.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I did a CART race at Road America a few days ago and that whole track is a workout. Though the link at 180mph is something that never gets easy.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Qmass posted:

The video goes on to explain all the timing and ordering for those things including the clutch but I guess its useless to you, even though I re-watched it after 250hrs and still picked up something useful. :eng101:

Yeah, I just didn't learn a thing that I can apply from that video. It's all :words: that I don't really get instead of being a down to earth "here is a hairpin: do this, or this, sometimes this", it's all about the finer points and the nitty gritty. It's definitely well explained, don't get me wrong, but I personally as somebody starting from no knowledge, cannot use this video as an effective resource.

This video did a better job for me personally since it's easier to understand.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Ziploc posted:

I will do this. Thank you. Having the FFB clip in the kink at 1% ingame was challenging. My arms got a work out during the Road America race lemme tell you.

Check your direct drive privilege

I felt a bit sore after that race with my weak old Forza CSR wheel... I'm glad that I ordered a CSL wheel before going to DD in a few years, that would be a massive jump without a middle step. I need to learn to let go of the wheel in a wreck or I might jack up my wrist with a stronger motor.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

This is how most people my age learned before we even got our drivers licenses:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPQyQgyuNMI

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
What DD wheels are people using here? I'm looking at the OSW and the Accuforce and while the OSW hardware is superior I see a few people saying that the Accuforce's SC4 software is a big benefit in games with poor FFB. I mainly play iRacing and Automobilista. iRacing is pretty much the DD poster-child but how is the Automobilista experience with DD?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The OSW is going to be a better wheel. The Accuforce has a stepper motor, not a servo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I use the accuforce software for automobilista and asseto corsa.

The profiles are easy to set up and both are much more responsive than they were with my TX wheel.

iRacing works with the accuforce without any fiddling. I did need to mess around with max force settings cuz the accuforce drat near sprained my thumb!

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Have they pushed out the Brit Pack to AMS beta yet? I want some Caterham action, and I wanna try out superkarts at Oulton

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Science Goy posted:

Have they pushed out the Brit Pack to AMS beta yet? I want some Caterham action, and I wanna try out superkarts at Oulton

No, and they've been kinda reluctant to say the pack was missing the stated release date. Oulton, the MCR and Caterhams aren't even in the beta yet. Apparently they're having some trouble figuring out the Steam DLC system.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey guys, just after your opinion as I'm not all that knowledgeable when it comes to cars. :D With regards to Dirt Rally, would someone be able to give me a brief run-down on the different '70s rally cars? I'm about to finish of my first '60s championship with the Lancia Fulvia (placing 3/3/1/1/2/? - hopefully I can get first place during this final stage, or for bloody D. Leone to crash and burn, so I can win the event. I'm like, two points behind him or something) and I'm tempted to just skip to the '70s rather than do another in my '60s car.
So yeah, since I liked the Lancia Fulvia I'm kinda tempted to go for the Lancia Stratos, however all four cars are RWD compared to FWD, so I'm not sure how I'll go - I think I might need to go for whatever's most forgiving.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
iirc the stratos is in the 70's right???

well, my opinion is it is the best car ever.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OhsH posted:

iirc the stratos is in the 70's right???

well, my opinion is it is the best car ever.

After reading more about the Stratos, I get the feeling that I might want to wait a bit and get used to RWD first, unless I want to get myself killed! :D Sounds like a fun car though, so I might need to get used to RWD first, before giving that a go.
From what I remember though, the Ford and Opel options are pretty good first '70s cars to drive, right? My memory is a bit hazy on this, I'm afraid

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

I used the bimmer, don't know if it was the "superior" car but an E30 M3 is always a good choice.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
That's 80s. The stratos is the best 70s car.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
If you learn to drive in the Stratos first you'll be able to drive anything after that.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

OhsH posted:

well, my opinion [the stratos] is the best car ever.

Cojawfee posted:

The stratos is the best 70s car.

GutBomb posted:

If you learn to drive in the Stratos first you'll be able to drive anything after that.

...Well, looks like I'm going to be using the Stratos, then! :D Thankfully I think I should have enough money for it, as I've been doing well in my current championship, haven't lost much of my 'no restart' bonus and haven't needed to spend a lot on repairs. Might need to do a few test runs with it though, I guess

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Dive in, you arent paying for car repair or hospital bills.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

OhsH posted:

Dive in, you arent paying for car repair or hospital bills.

Also drink a lot. You'll need it

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
The 1960s Renault is a great option, too. It has the speed to compete with the 70s cars and is much more fun to drive than the other 60s cars, while not being as temperamental as my beloved Stratos.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I really like the E30 but then again I also like the Fiat 131 and Ford Mk2. Maybe I just like loud boxes.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The Alpine is probably the best starting car now, since it gets you used to driving RWD before having to move up to 70s. That said I still use the Kadett as my go-to 70s car.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The correct progression is Alpine A110 -> Lancia Stratos -> Lancia 037.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is the Alpine new(ish)? I don't remember it existing when I first started the 60s campagin.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Cojawfee posted:

Is the Alpine new(ish)? I don't remember it existing when I first started the 60s campagin.

It is, and it's a blast.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, if I sell my fully-upgraded Lancia Fulvia later on, will I still have all the upgrades on it during non-career rallies, like custom events? And what about if I re-buy it in career mode - I take it I'll still have all the upgrades then as well?

EDIT: oops nevermind!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 30, 2016

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't think you can sell cars, unless they added that recently and I didn't notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

njsykora posted:

I don't think you can sell cars, unless they added that recently and I didn't notice.

Really?! Hm, I could've sworn there was a loading screen hint that stated/suggested that! I might be mistaken though, I suppose. Well, how will I clear out my four garage slots? Can you swap cars in/out, or are you stuck with the ones you buy, and that's it?

EDIT: oops nevermind!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Sep 30, 2016