Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Kanthulhu posted:

What I really want to see is a big rear end play off between 3 or 4 people.

looks a distinct possibility in Juryo. Nobody doing better than the three on 9-3 and six guys on 8-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010

corpse on the left at 3:03

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Officer Sandvich posted:

holy poo poo :stare:

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Officer Sandvich posted:

:stare:

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Fryhtaning posted:

holy poo poo :stare:

Yeah toupee guy on the right there has been bringing a different good looking girl everyday so I went to check it out for today and instead there is a girl next to a dead guy

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Harumafuji vs Goeido: Holy poo poo that stare down!!! Goeido is bulletproof this basho. Tomorrow will decide it.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOjAwNLiFx8

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
haha guy near the front on the right "je suis allé au college" I went to middle school

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

That staredown was awesome, as was Goeido's win. This is his basho.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
His last two matches are Tamawashi tomorrow then presumably Kotoshogiku on the last day? Seems like anything other than 15-0 would be a failure

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Two Japanese yusho in the span of one year! Poor Kisenosato now has to think "it shoulda been me" for a second time.

Tsaedje posted:

His last two matches are Tamawashi tomorrow then presumably Kotoshogiku on the last day? Seems like anything other than 15-0 would be a failure

Meanwhile Endo gets his first sanyaku matchup (Takayasu) and who knows after that. If will be a crime if he catches Goeido.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
takayasu now has 30 wins in his last 3 basho - any chance he gets promoted to ozeki?

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

a false posted:

takayasu now has 30 wins in his last 3 basho - any chance he gets promoted to ozeki?

I'm not sure, since one of those 3 basho was at M5. He may need to repeat it again at sekiwake. Kotoshogiku won 30 in a row including a 9-6 line at M3 and didn't get it, nor did he get it after winning 32 at sekiwake - needed one more basho to get 33 which seems to be the gold standard.

Terunofuji won 33 with the first basho at M2, and the best Takayasu can do is 32 in a similar fashion. I don't think he'll get promoted. But if he finishes 13-2 then all he needs is 10 victories next basho to be a virtual lock.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Fryhtaning posted:

I'm not sure, since one of those 3 basho was at M5. He may need to repeat it again at sekiwake. Kotoshogiku won 30 in a row including a 9-6 line at M3 and didn't get it, nor did he get it after winning 32 at sekiwake - needed one more basho to get 33 which seems to be the gold standard.

Terunofuji won 33 with the first basho at M2, and the best Takayasu can do is 32 in a similar fashion. I don't think he'll get promoted. But if he finishes 13-2 then all he needs is 10 victories next basho to be a virtual lock.

Terunofuji also had a Jun-yusho, a yusho and 4 special prizes in his run

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Fryhtaning posted:

Yeah, the 'minimum' is 33 wins out of 45 while being komosubi/sekiwake. It's not set in stone, and they'd probably make exceptions for things like '40 wins starting from M3' or '32 wins but he beat all the yokozuna each basho/is young, popular, telegenic, and Japanese', but from M5 Takayasu's gonna be out of luck.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Assuming Kisenosato never wins one, which matters more in the Japanese mindset - his consistency, or Giku's yusho?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
All of my Japanese friends who pay attention to sumo only comment on Kisenosato's mental weakness in the clutch, not all of his jun-yusho so I'm gonna have to say the Giku yusho.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Apraxin posted:

Yeah, the 'minimum' is 33 wins out of 45 while being komosubi/sekiwake. It's not set in stone, and they'd probably make exceptions for things like '40 wins starting from M3' or '32 wins but he beat all the yokozuna each basho/is young, popular, telegenic, and Japanese', but from M5 Takayasu's gonna be out of luck.

The M5 basho probably won't count since he didn't have to beat any of the big boys for it. I think a basho at M1 or M2 might be an acceptable start since you go through the entire sanyaku lineup to earn the wins.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Day 14: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n3gN-WmbgM

He did it!

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 24, 2016

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Congrats to Goeido - well deserved. The Harumafuji match was the only one I think where he was on the defensive, which says a lot about how dominant he was this basho.

Now to root for Takayasu to make Ozeki and win one, just to depress Kisenosato even more. :getin:

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I'm really pleased to see Goeido finally showing the talent that got him the promotion in the first place again. Kisenosato is a hilarious failure

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Awwww, Goeido's mom :unsmith:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Last day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgGerGr104c

That was a real good basho.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

:lol: Perfect ending to the whole basho in that final match.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
No idea if anyone else will find this anything like as funny as I did, but one of the SumoForum people found the true reason for Goeido's sudden improvement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCy6wlsfuXQ

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Does sumo talk have something against Goeido? I know they're big into yaocho accusations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Dr.Radical posted:

Does sumo talk have something against Goeido? I know they're big into yaocho accusations.
Generally, they believe that neither he nor Kotoshigiku are 'real' ozeki (and Kisenosato barely qualifies), and that Goeido in particular is at best a mid-level maegashira who was artificially promoted and keeps his rank solely through match fixing. Because Reasons (these vary depending on the narrative, but are usually 'favoritism' or 'nationalism'.)

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Apraxin posted:

Generally, they believe that neither he nor Kotoshigiku are 'real' ozeki (and Kisenosato barely qualifies), and that Goeido in particular is at best a mid-level maegashira who was artificially promoted and keeps his rank solely through match fixing. Because Reasons (these vary depending on the narrative, but are usually 'favoritism' or 'nationalism'.)

I'm very new to sumo, having followed only the last 3 tournaments. I kinda bought into this "oh a couple of these guys were overpromoted" talk that a lot of angry sumo fans engage in, but I recently realized that the system was beautifully designed and is self-correcting, so I don't hate on any wrestler anymore. I actually have sympathy for wrestlers who hold a rank that maybe they can't live up to. Maybe relegation doesn't happen as quickly as some would like, but after doing a lot of reading, some research, and looking back on the history of modern-era ozeki and yokozuna ranked wrestlers, I can see that if a mediocre wrestler is given a rank he doesn't deserve, then it doesn't last very long and probably won't end well for him. So, I don't sweat it anymore, if you don't think someone deserves to be ozeki, don't worry, you'll soon either be proven wrong or he'll soon be humiliated and demoted. "Injuries" can only carry you for a while, eventually they have to defend their rank. Just watch and see what happens.

The way the system is set up, it doesn't seem possible to have "too many" yokozuna or ozeki for a long period of time. Sure, mathematically you might get to a point where you have 5 or hell, maybe even 6 ozeki, but if that ever happens, then the way the matchmaking system works, someone will get forced out quickly. Even 4 is a lot, 4 ozeki have to struggle mightily to all retain their rank. If there is ever an undeserving yokozuna, then the cultural pressure to retire appears to be so extreme that they always succumb to the pressure and bow out while their honor is somewhat intact. I assume if we ever had a jackass yokozuna who turned in losing records in every tournament and didn't care about criticism or calls for retirement, then he'd be forced out with the sumo association announcing that they "accepted his resignation".

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Apraxin posted:

No idea if anyone else will find this anything like as funny as I did, but one of the SumoForum people found the true reason for Goeido's sudden improvement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCy6wlsfuXQ

Holy poo poo I'm dead.

And the original video is even funnier.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Yes but an American wrote a book once and proved yaocho exists therefore sumo is basically pro-wrestling.

That's what people I know in America think, at least.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
May 2011 basho got canceled because yaocho allegations were found to be true and the same tight group of people that was in charge back then is still in charge today. Losing faith in the integrity of the sport isn't so hard.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Kikkoman posted:

May 2011 basho got canceled because yaocho allegations were found to be true and the same tight group of people that was in charge back then is still in charge today. Losing faith in the integrity of the sport isn't so hard.
That took everyone by surprise though. Everyone assumed that whatever yaocho went on was either the stuff described in Freakonomics, with wrestlers trading each other wins when they most needed them as quid pro quos (like guys who were 7-7 on the final day), or the Kyokai fixing bouts to get good results for a favored wrestler, like SumoTalk believes, if not as widespread. An organized ring of two dozen mid-ranking guys regularly fixing matches like 'day 4 bout between M10 and M13' in exchange for cash payment was... unexpected. Like, I can't think of anyone who was able to say 'I called it!' when that came out.

Northjayhawk posted:

I assume if we ever had a jackass yokozuna who turned in losing records in every tournament and didn't care about criticism or calls for retirement, then he'd be forced out with the sumo association announcing that they "accepted his resignation".
This did kind of happen once, with Futahaguro - the only yokozuna never to win a yusho, and not coincidentally the reason why you can't be promoted to yokozuna without a yusho anymore. Although in his case the bad results were a secondary reason, and the trigger for the 'resignation' was punching his oyakata's wife in the face:

quote:

The decision to promote Futahaguro backfired and he proved to be a great embarrassment to the sumo establishment. His debut as a yokozuna in the September 1986 tournament saw him pull out on the seventh day with only three wins, and after two runner-up scores in November 1986 and January 1987 a series of mediocre performances followed. His best result as a yokozuna came in November 1987 when he was runner-up for the seventh time, with a 13-2 record. However, controversy was never far away from him. Several tsukebito (junior members) of his stable refused to serve under him following an incident on the 1987 winter tour in which he physically punished one of them[3] and as a result of this, in December 1987 he had a heated argument with his stable boss, Tatsunami, and stormed out, allegedly striking Tatsunami's wife on the way.[2] The elders of the Sumo Association responded, without giving Futahaguro a hearing, by voting to accept his "resignation". Futahaguro became the first yokozuna ever to be expelled from sumo this way.[2] He had lasted just eight tournaments at yokozuna rank and had proved unable to win a championship.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 27, 2016

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dr.Radical posted:

I've never even visited SumoTalk, but I know that nothing pleases geeks as much as thinking they're "in the know." I assume that explains 100% of yaocho obsession in sumo fandom.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Some people just have an a need to not enjoy things (despite obsessively following it) and like coming up for reasons to hate it. Which is fine, but can turn into a circle jerk of hate like in this case. It's absurd.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
On of the things I enjoy most about sumo is the historical aspect. For example, the audience is always a survey of fashion trends across a 90-year period.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Apraxin posted:

An organized ring of two dozen mid-ranking guys regularly fixing matches like 'day 4 bout between M10 and M13' in exchange for cash payment was... unexpected.

Why? Isn't that a sort of a typical pattern in match fixing in any sport?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Ras Het posted:

Why? Isn't that a sort of a typical pattern in match fixing in any sport?
Yes, but it's usually done for the financial gain of dodgy bookies or punters. Betting on sports is illegal in Japan, with the exception of horse, bike, and for some reason, powerboat racing. (Fixing sumo matches, oddly enough, isn't actually illegal, and the match fixing only came to light because police who'd confiscated some wrestlers' phones while investigating illegal betting on baseball games found text messages discussing the match fixing and released them to the public, possibly because they were pissed off at the kyokai not cooperating with their investigation).

There are illegal betting rings, mostly yakuza-run, but they're usually pretty small, and it wasn't really feasible that enough people would be betting so lopsidedly on mid-level sumo matches that anyone could rig the results and pay off the wrestlers so frequently and still turn a profit. They never actually found any evidence that anyone was betting on them.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

On of the things I enjoy most about sumo is the historical aspect. For example, the audience is always a survey of fashion trends across a 90-year period.

My favorite costume is the ultra patriotic old man costume with All Japan everything followed closely by salary man minus the tie, casual Friday look.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Halloween Jack posted:

I've never even visited SumoTalk, but I know that nothing pleases geeks as much as thinking they're "in the know." I assume that explains 100% of yaocho obsession in sumo fandom.

Most of the yaocho accusations I see are tongue-in-cheek jabs at sumotalk because they are sooo over the top about it these days. Those guys have recently been going on about yaocho in practice which is just on another level of what.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
The Banzuke is up

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/sumo/rankings/2016-kyushu-basho/