Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Yeah i havent seen any compilation of lore that just sticks to the facts. Most of them seem to go into the whole "solaire is the first born i swear on me mum" territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's all speculation, you won't find many facts except in the very general sense. that's the point of the way the series tells its stories

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

argondamn posted:

Nameless King

I hesitate to call this a good fight cause its preceded by King of Storms, one of the most terribly designed fights in the entire series.

gently caress that dumb dragon and its camera fuckery. No wonder Gwyn wanted to kill them all.

Iretep posted:

Yeah i havent seen any compilation of lore that just sticks to the facts. Most of them seem to go into the whole "solaire is the first born i swear on me mum" territory.

That's because if you just stick to hard facts there really isn't much to the story in these games. You kind of have to come to your own conclusion by piecing all the lore together. Its just that in some cases the lore is so vague people will come up with the dumbest poo poo.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That's kind of the whole point of the Souls/Bloodborne storytelling though. You only get bits and pieces of it so your forced to fill in the blanks. People who are compiling lore are essentially just writing in their own lore because "Wouldn't it be cool if...". I think it's cool to hear different versions and perspectives. It makes it feel a lot less contrived than the bland storytelling that has been the staple of video games for the past few decades.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Artorias is by far the best boss in DS1 but happens to be a DLC one. Fume knight and Sir Alonne are two of the best in DS2 and also DLC bosses. DS3 has tree boss, Abyss Watchers, Sulyvahn, Nameless King, Twin Princess, Dragonslayer Armor, Champion Gundyr, Soul of Cinder and hell, Yhorm even being a gimmick fight was drat good if you do Siegward's quest.

Of all the issues DS3 has, boss battles is not one. I didn't play bloodborne yet (still no ps4) but of all dark souls to me feels the most well rounded in boss battles.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 26, 2016

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

That's kind of the whole point of the Souls/Bloodborne storytelling though. You only get bits and pieces of it so your forced to fill in the blanks. People who are compiling lore are essentially just writing in their own lore because "Wouldn't it be cool if...". I think it's cool to hear different versions and perspectives. It makes it feel a lot less contrived than the bland storytelling that has been the staple of video games for the past few decades.

this is true, but i do enjoy reading a good theory about it all. my favourite is "The Paleblood Hunt", which is kind of colossal and opens with a statement about the folly of trying to pin any of this down. if you are into bloodborne lore, it's well worth a gander

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

this is true, but i do enjoy reading a good theory about it all. my favourite is "The Paleblood Hunt", which is kind of colossal and opens with a statement about the folly of trying to pin any of this down. if you are into bloodborne lore, it's well worth a gander

Redgrave is the loving man, I've read through the whole thing like 3 times. There's a few points I disagree with him about, but he really did his research and is super clear about separating "These are direct facts from the game" and "these are my interpretations".

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I did mean nerf. And Christ, what's even the point of using anything else. I think I'll use Dragonslayer Axe just for style points and enchant it with Lightning.

I had good fun using the Partizan you can find in the village. It has the DS2 spear moveset which is good enough on its own you don't need the "win every fight ever" straightsword skills.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Genocyber posted:

Yeah I never really got why people say DS3 is cribbing from BB. I guess cause they look similar in terms of graphic fidelity stuff but then they're games in the same genre by the same company on similar hardware so that's kind of inevitable. Like if BB were not a thing DS3 would probably end up looking much the same as it does now. And DS3 and BB have vastly different art directions, which is where you'd want similarities if you were making that kind of complaint.

The undead settlement is basically Central Yarnham. You even come across a large gathering of townsfolk surrounding a huge bonfire. The townsfolks are copy/pasted from Yarnham.

I guess it's not a big deal that a software company like From re-uses its assets. Every video game company ever has done it. To say that DS3 ripped off BB is a bit disingenuous, but claiming the art direction is vastly different to tell is equally so. poo poo the Sullyvhan Beast are those Watchdogs, except not on fire.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 26, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lite_sleepr posted:

The undead settlement is basically Central Yarnham. You even come across a large gathering of townsfolk surrounding a huge bonfire. The townsfolks are copy/pasted from Yarnham.

I guess it's not a big deal that a software company like From re-uses its assets. Every video game company ever has done it. To say that DS3 ripped off BB is a bit disingenuous, but claiming the art direction is vastly different to tell is equally so. poo poo the Sullyvhan Beast are those Silverbeasts, except not on fire.

Yeah, I never had a problem with the Beasts there because they're almost exactly the Watchdog, and after that loving chalice I got really good at not being murdered by it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They aren't copy pasted at all beyond the basic concept of evil townsfolk with pitchforks and fire which, come on, it's as old as towns and pitchforks and fire. The Yharnamites wear varieties of old-fashioned 18th/19th century looking clothes and they're hairy and weird looking, and chatty. The undead settlers wear dark, ragged, baggy uniform with pointy hats. Undead Settlement is probably closest in concept to Hemwick of any Bloodborne area, because there the concept really is the same: a creepy little village where the dead get ground up or defleshed or something in freaky rituals.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

skasion posted:

They aren't copy pasted at all beyond the basic concept of evil townsfolk with pitchforks and fire which, come on, it's as old as towns and pitchforks and fire. The Yharnamites wear varieties of old-fashioned 18th/19th century looking clothes and they're hairy and weird looking, and chatty. The undead settlers wear dark, ragged, baggy uniform with pointy hats. Undead Settlement is probably closest in concept to Hemwick of any Bloodborne area, because there the concept really is the same: a creepy little village where the dead get ground up or defleshed or something in freaky rituals.

No they're literally copy pasted, except the swapped 18th century commoner garb with ragged dark ages peasant garb. Long, mutant arms and beastial noises on death. Sure they don't opine on the fate of the town, but they sound almost identical. It doesn't bother people, but saying they're not all but identical is kinda silly.

Edit: :heh: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFH4y1UNhIw

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 26, 2016

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

lite_sleepr posted:

No they're literally copy pasted, except the swapped 18th century commoner garb with ragged dark ages peasant garb. Long, mutant arms and beastial noises on death. Sure they don't opine on the fate of the town, but they sound almost identical. It doesn't bother people, but saying they're not all but identical is kinda silly.

If being a lanky rear end weirdo is the criterion then every single basic mook since the DS2 DLC is the same guy in different clothes. The Yharnamites are supposed to be in the early stages of turning into beasts and they look like it, they're all hairy despite their relatively normal attire. The undead settlers are basically the random undead guys from High Wall, but wearing clothes: pale, desiccated zombies.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

On a side note I like the wacky flailing hollows do when you finish them off with a fire damage weapon.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

On a side note I like the wacky flailing hollows do when you finish them off with a fire damage weapon.

Pretty sure all the games have that. I wish there were similar effects for other damage types.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

smouldering lake is in or around lost izalith

IIRC you can see both ash lake and lost izalith from tomb of the giants so it's not crazy the chocolate would get in the peanut butter.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Nonexistence posted:

IIRC you can see both ash lake and lost izalith from tomb of the giants so it's not crazy the chocolate would get in the peanut butter.

You can see the Demon Ruins from the tomb, which is right next to Izalith (the enormous dome on the left as you first enter the ruins covers Izalith). The bit of Ash Lake you can see from the tomb isn't the actual Ash Lake zone - the direction is all wrong - but it's easy enough to handwave as just a separate part of the lake that you can't see from the Siegmeyer/Hydra/Ancient Dragon bit.

Yeah, it makes sense. Lands churning and converging and all.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Ash Lake is cool simply because you spend ages climbing down the insides of this giant free that feels like it's basically holding up the world , and when you get to the bottom and look around...there's hundreds more of these giant trees off in the distance in this weird, dreamy, dead area. It's also cool how you can see Ash Lake from the Tomb of Giants which is pitch black and when you're there you really feel like you're nearing the center of the world, but then there's this strange light where none should exist...

It reminds me a lot of the "prequel" to the Narnia books, The Magician's Nephew. The two main character stumble upon an enchanted wood filled with all these magic pools. They came in through one, and upon exploring another they discover Narnia, but there's hundreds more.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Don't know why I didn't do a red hilted halberd playthrough until now. It's the DS1 halberd but better and it feels like warm mashed potatoes.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Rough Lobster posted:

Ash Lake is cool simply because you spend ages climbing down the insides of this giant free that feels like it's basically holding up the world , and when you get to the bottom and look around...there's hundreds more of these giant trees off in the distance in this weird, dreamy, dead area. It's also cool how you can see Ash Lake from the Tomb of Giants which is pitch black and when you're there you really feel like you're nearing the center of the world, but then there's this strange light where none should exist...

It reminds me a lot of the "prequel" to the Narnia books, The Magician's Nephew. The two main character stumble upon an enchanted wood filled with all these magic pools. They came in through one, and upon exploring another they discover Narnia, but there's hundreds more.

it also has the crazy uncle in it who engages in very negligent parenting and is a terrific and scary and pathetic character. god drat that book is great

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

True. Good post.

The thing about this sort of storytelling is that it's hard to get right. Trusting the audience to pick up the threads themselves is cool, but if you don't provide enough threads it gets dumb fast.

My favorite example of this sort of storytelling is the old TV show twin peaks. The powers and rules of the supernatural in twin peaks need to be interpreted like dreams. Whenever I have a long what if dark souls conversations they remind me of long twin peaks conversation.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

I wondered why everything I was killing with the twin princes greatsword went into convulsions.

I got summoned as a Darkmoon bluecop three times today and got concords for all of them, got the darkmoon ring. I noticed that Yorshka is a real mouth breather, or at least has breathing problems. Still my waifu tho, never hurt a hair/scale on her baby head.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Does anyone know if there's a slow motion vid or gif of the Farron Greatsword special attacks?

I want to see how impossible it would be to do it in real life with a prop weapon for a cosplay.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Sperglord Firecock posted:

Does anyone know if there's a slow motion vid or gif of the Farron Greatsword special attacks?

I want to see how impossible it would be to do it in real life with a prop weapon for a cosplay.

I don't need a slow mo to tell you to give up now.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Supremezero posted:

I don't need a slow mo to tell you to give up now.

Ok. :(

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zk75WJCwbw

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Wow these are good fun.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Imagine doing ballet with a greatsword.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Creighton is an estus chugging BITCH. But his armor is sick.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if he was just chugging estus he wouldnt be so bad. sadly after throwing a undead hunter charm on him it turns out he has a divine blessing too.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
How come all the bad guys in this game have about a foot of height on the player character? It's weird.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

To make them look more intimidating.

Or because they're all the same model tweaked a bit.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Yeah, it's mainly to make them look more intimidating, especially because in a 3rd person camera view, they'd look a tad smaller than you while you're fighting due to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dS12p0Zqlt0

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I hesitate to call this a good fight cause its preceded by King of Storms, one of the most terribly designed fights in the entire series.

gently caress that dumb dragon and its camera fuckery. No wonder Gwyn wanted to kill them all.

I didn't find the king of storms nearly that bad. I honestly thought he was pretty easy to game too, since keeping the right amount of distance lets you set the pace of the fight (more or less). His head is also easy enough to target, which makes it go a lot faster. I felt Kalameet was more annoying to fight.

Also, while I can understand why people would like Yhorm, I thought the fight itself is a bit on the weak side. He's pretty easy to avoid and really is only interesting due to his involvement in Siegward's quest.

notZaar posted:

How come all the bad guys in this game have about a foot of height on the player character? It's weird.

I always figured Miyazaki just liked big enemies since they both look weird, as you say, and make it easier to keep track of the player character on the screen.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I'm short in life, I don't need this poo poo in my power fantasy vidcons.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Dragons are always very hard to look at. Having huge things flying around high above you is tricky.

Also, I'm incredibly terrible at pvp in DS3. My melee+offensive faith build wasn't going great, so I respecced to get points out of Vigor and into Faith, so I could use Lightning stake. I've been trying to use a Solaire's Talisman as well as a Cleric's Chime and god drat, is 240 as high as a melee critical Lightning Stake supposed to go with Morne's Ring? My +5 Drang Hammers hit harder that. Not to mention I haven't landed a single Lightning Spear, but they're pretty good for baiting people into Stake. Also I thought Unfaltering Prayer was a buff, not just a per-use thing, so that's a bit of a downer. Having to spend a full FP bar to kill a single random mob in Boreal Valley kind of sucks.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

People like Yhorm not only because of Siegward's quest but because it's a gimmick bossfight that isn't painful like Bed of Chaos. Add kick rear end music, and rewarding as sunbro and you get a fight that is hard to dislike.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Maleh-Vor posted:

Also, I'm incredibly terrible at pvp in DS3. My melee+offensive faith build wasn't going great, so I respecced to get points out of Vigor and into Faith, so I could use Lightning stake. I've been trying to use a Solaire's Talisman as well as a Cleric's Chime and god drat, is 240 as high as a melee critical Lightning Stake supposed to go with Morne's Ring? My +5 Drang Hammers hit harder that. Not to mention I haven't landed a single Lightning Spear, but they're pretty good for baiting people into Stake. Also I thought Unfaltering Prayer was a buff, not just a per-use thing, so that's a bit of a downer. Having to spend a full FP bar to kill a single random mob in Boreal Valley kind of sucks.

All Miracles just suck rear end save for the limited buffs like Deep Protection or Lightning Blade. I would just entirely respec out of it, personally.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Tell me how I can best beat the nameless king and his rear end in a top hat dragon please. I can't enjoy dark souls 2 properly knowing I haven't beaten this dickhead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I really liked the Yhorm fight, but was pretty disappointed that it was a puzzle fight. Especially a puzzle fight where you just run away, charge the L2, then just chain a few of those on a prone opponent until he dies.

I mean Wolnir is also a puzzle fight, but it usually feels a bit more involved. This last time was funny though because using an rear end I could break his gauntlets in a single stamina bar, which meant I never got hit and killed him in under a minute without him even getting his sword or summoning any skeletons. He just crawled towards me 3 times and died. On my Greatweapon run I had a lot of trouble with him for some reason, and one-shot Old Demon King (he took me like 10 tries on this sword and board run for some reason).