Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
They added a bit about pile shuffling in the rules --- only one pile shuffle allowed to count the number of cards.

Section 3.9 (Shuffling): This change has to do with "pile shuffling." Pile shuffling alone is not a sufficiently random form of shuffling. Update states that a player may only pile shuffle once each time a deck is randomized. The one pile shuffle is allowed in order to count the number of cards in the deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Chill la Chill posted:

Why would you be going to a Hareruya event if you don't know Japanese? :psyduck:

No it's just a matter of "are you going to bother explaining this thing to anyone or just going to lazily post a link to a thing"

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

They added a bit about pile shuffling in the rules --- only one pile shuffle allowed to count the number of cards.

Section 3.9 (Shuffling): This change has to do with "pile shuffling." Pile shuffling alone is not a sufficiently random form of shuffling. Update states that a player may only pile shuffle once each time a deck is randomized. The one pile shuffle is allowed in order to count the number of cards in the deck.

Seems weird that they only restrict it to one. What's the reasoning behind that?

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dehtraen posted:

Yesssssssss. Almost makes up for the lack of Drake banning.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

C-Euro posted:

No it's just a matter of "are you going to bother explaining this thing to anyone or just going to lazily post a link to a thing"

Not in defense of reddit in any way, but I think he sufficiently summarized the page?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

dragon enthusiast posted:

Seems weird that they only restrict it to one. What's the reasoning behind that?

Anything past one is wasting time or cheAting. Anything you do with a pile will be undone if shuffling right.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

BJPaskoff posted:

Yesssssssss. Almost makes up for the lack of Drake banning.

Can't wait to call JUDGE! if my opponent attempts to pile shuffle more than once between games. (I will actually try to politely tell them that they shouldn't do that because it's against the rules now).

Although pile shuffle people will do it after mulliganning, of course, and between every game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dehtraen posted:

A Good Rules Change. This is probably as important as the shot clock change to the NBA for a lot of people here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ShaneB posted:

Not in defense of reddit in any way, but I think he sufficiently summarized the page?

I'm on my phone and reddit's format confuses me enough so maybe he did. I'm just nitpicking the laziness. Curious to see if they put forth an initial banlist but I think one of the replies says they didn't?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
*opponent cracks fetch. pile shuffles*
:smaug: : How many cards left?
:shobon: : I dunno. Let me count.
:smaug: : JUDGE!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Chill la Chill posted:

A Good Rules Change. This is probably as important as the shot clock change to the NBA for a lot of people here.

Do people honestly pile shuffle more than once between games? Ignoring mulligans even though if you pile after a mulligan you are still an idiot. I will definitely be telling people that's against the rules (again, nicely) if they do it, because it's such a waste of time.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Really excited to deal with dumb manbabies complaining about mana screw/flood because their opponent pointed out that they can't pile after every mulligan.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ThePeavstenator posted:

Really excited to deal with dumb manbabies complaining about mana screw/flood because their opponent pointed out that they can't pile after every mulligan.

No, they can... based on how I'm reading it. You can do it ONCE for every time the deck is randomized. You could do it between fetches, apparently. But I'm sure any judge with a brain would say "quit it."

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

ThePeavstenator posted:

Well they can pile after mulligans just not twice in a row.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I tried to summarize the math behind randomizing a deck to a guy one time but all he did was glare at me, rabidly foaming at the mouth, while saying something about "clumped lands" and continued pile shuffling.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

I like the change, as someone who has done that single pile counting of cards for years now before games and shuffling.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Lunsku posted:

I like the change, as someone who has done that single pile counting of cards for years now before games and shuffling.

Same, I feel like a lot of issues with pile shuffling stem from people imitating others and not understanding why it's done.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ShaneB posted:

Do people honestly pile shuffle more than once between games? Ignoring mulligans even though if you pile after a mulligan you are still an idiot. I will definitely be telling people that's against the rules (again, nicely) if they do it, because it's such a waste of time.

Had this happen last week at FNM. Pile shuffles before game one which is fine. I win game 1 and he starts to do it again before opening draws of game 2 but I still don't say anything. He mulls his opening hand of game 2 and then starts to pile shuffle again so I start to get annoyed but continue to deal with it. He ends up winning G2

He doesn't pile shuffle to start G3 but he mulls his opening hand and we are told we only have 5 mins left so he starts to lay out the first 6 cards of the pile shuffle and I say "Did you hear we only have 5 minutes? Not to mention this shuffling technique doesn't work and it's wasting time"

He looks at me like I questioned his way of life so he grabs the 6 cards he laid out and then just mash shuffles and after 45 seconds I ask him again "Did you hear we're almost at time?" and he just slams his cards down and draws 7 and just says "Whatever, go" and I ended up winning since he kept a hand with no lands and then got up and walked away to sit w/his friends.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Or confusing random with evenly distributed like some people I play with.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Uno auto-shufflers now mandated in every lgs.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

odiv posted:

Or confusing random with evenly distributed like some people I play with.

This is mostly it. People think that well-randomized means they don't draw 5 lands in a row.

This is also why most people think the mtgo shuffler is unfair.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SoftNum posted:

This is mostly it. People think that well-randomized means they don't draw 5 lands in a row.

This is also why most people think the mtgo shuffler is unfair.

Use true randomization for booster packs so someone gets a box full of inserts and chandra clones. :getin:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'd be the guy who opens 15 ads.

But hey, one is foil.

edit: I'm working on convincing my LGS to put in match results correctly, so pile shuffling seems like a lost cause honestly.

odiv fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 26, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Chill la Chill posted:

Why would you be going to a Hareruya event if you don't know Japanese? :psyduck:

I played there and it was pretty easy to understand. It gets alot of magic tourists as well.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Chill la Chill posted:

Use true randomization for booster packs so someone gets a box full of inserts and chandra clones. :getin:

All formats are now mojhosto

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

GeneX posted:

All formats are now mojhosto

Finally, magic as it was meant to be played.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
One of my prize packs had repeats of 2 commons, neither foil. Something might be goofy with the print runs.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
On pile shuffling, I personally only do it when I get anxious about one type of card being lumped together and changing the outcome of a game. I know that the math states that proper randomization means any combo of cards ever, and that mashing or riffling enough times will be enough, but my anxiety puts me on tilt unless I pile shuffle. It sucks.

Luckily I'm pretty quick at it and only do 5 piles.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Elblanco posted:

On pile shuffling, I personally only do it when I get anxious about one type of card being lumped together and changing the outcome of a game. I know that the math states that proper randomization means any combo of cards ever, and that mashing or riffling enough times will be enough, but my anxiety puts me on tilt unless I pile shuffle. It sucks.

Luckily I'm pretty quick at it and only do 5 piles.

:golfclap:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Someone at my local store suggested separate libraries of lands and spells to avoid flood or screw. I told them "that's loving stupid because I'll present an infect deck with a library of 4 breeding pools and 4 inkmoths, and 4 misty rainforests, and a library of 9 infect dudes, 4 heirarchs, and 35 cheap pump spells, or a burn deck with 3 lands and 57 cheap burn spells,

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

kizudarake posted:

Someone at my local store suggested separate libraries of lands and spells to avoid flood or screw. I told them "that's loving stupid because I'll present an infect deck with a library of 4 breeding pools and 4 inkmoths, and 4 misty rainforests, and a library of 9 infect dudes, 4 heirarchs, and 35 cheap pump spells, or a burn deck with 3 lands and 57 cheap burn spells,

What makes you think 3 mountains and 57 cheap burn spells is better than 45 mountains and 15 cheap burn spells?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
There was not a single masterpiece opened at the store I go to all weekend.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

kizudarake posted:

Suggest to them force of will or hearthstone because that's what they are. It works fine in those games.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

kizudarake posted:

Uh, why not a deck of 53 lands, and 7 non lands that make you win the game?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chill la Chill posted:

Suggest to them force of will or hearthstone because that's what they are. It works fine in those games.

Alpha investments says FOW is going down the shitter.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Sickening posted:

So we should all invest, right?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

:stare: I haven't kept up with that game since I just got a bunch of cards for the anime art and I now have enough.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

Uh, why not a deck of 53 lands, and 7 non lands that make you win the game?

Counterspells.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Pile shuffling is a superstitious ritual and I participate in it daily. Just like masturbation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

kizudarake posted:

Counterspells.

But I could see some stupid stuff easily happening like action deck of 3x ssg, lab maniac, expedite, pact of negation x 2 in your action deck and then your land pile is just 53 islands or something silly like that, you turn one your opponent every time.

• Locked thread