Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gavok posted:

"So no one told you life was gonna be this way!"

*BANG-BANG-BANG-BANG*

"Your job's a joke, you're broke!
Your love life's D-O-A!"

*giant hook emerges from stage left and yanks off stage*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

site posted:

He loses because humans are fallible
"Of all of us... he was the most.... human...."
"Shut the gently caress up Spider-Man like 20 people are dead."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

mind the walrus posted:

"Of all of us... he was the most.... human...."
"Shut the gently caress up Spider-Man like 20 people are dead."

Spider-Man's tendency to say stuff like that is actually one of the main reasons why he was never anything more than a reserve member of any teams till the New Avengers era as most heroes hated him for his wisecracks almost as much as villains do(and that's saying something considering during the Raft breakout even villains who had fought him only once, even a couple who had never gone against him were willing to risk not escaping by joining the villain pileup that were all focused on killing him over all else)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
THERE IS THOR ENOUGH FOR ERRY THREAD, THIS DAY!

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

SynthOrange posted:

Vision #11. Things get much worse.

Fun aside here: the Omega the Unknown poster here is a shoutout to Jonathan Lethem, who wrote the 2007 Omega reboot, and also a lot of fiction that covers funnybook history (his breakout novel was Fortress of Solitude). Vision is Lethem's favourite superhero, and also the title of an unsettling short story of his.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Toshimo posted:

THERE IS THOR ENOUGH FOR ERRY THREAD, THIS DAY!

Isn't Jane's whole bit at the moment that she has cancer, and everytime she transforms into Thor it undoes the chemo she recently had?

Like I can understand the fishing with a Friend and the Funeral... but just digging a well seems counter-productive.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
“Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can.”

Senior Woodchuck fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 26, 2016

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Infinitum posted:

Isn't Jane's whole bit at the moment that she has cancer, and everytime she transforms into Thor it undoes the chemo she recently had?

Like I can understand the fishing with a Friend and the Funeral... but just digging a well seems counter-productive.

I dunno. I think digging a well for people to have easy access to safe drinking water is pretty productive work for a hero(ine).

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Jane Foster Thor is p much Kanye:

Example:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Infinitum posted:

lol

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Infinitum posted:

That is the worst loving plot point I have ever heard. Does she have an actual lethal cancer or something easily cured like breast cancer?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

lethal cancer or something easily cured like breast cancer?

Look at her.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Sigma-X posted:

That is the worst loving plot point I have ever heard. Does she have an actual lethal cancer or something easily cured like breast cancer?

She looks like her friend that she took fishing when she's not Thor. It makes sense from a metanarrative perspective, we know Odinson will eventually be Thor again, easy way for him to become worthy again is being inspired by Jane's death, and since the original Captain Marvel is one of the very few major characters to stay dead, cancer is apparently one of the few ways to permanently kill someone in the Marvel Universe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Cancer isn't something that cure and easy go together in the same sentence

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

site posted:

Compared to something like multiple myeloma it's a loving cakewalk

Also I am just bitter because my dad died last week

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Sorry about your loss. Almost jumped down your throat there. My mom had breast cancer twice, and can't really work because of nerve damage, but at least she's alive. Thor is a really good book though. She's probably my favorite out of the new characters with old names that Marvel is full of.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

Wade got cured. Kinda.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wade got cured. Kinda.

I mean, he still has cancer so...

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
You know the kinda cancer you get better from? Well, that ain't the kind she got.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Die Laughing posted:

Sorry about your loss. Almost jumped down your throat there. My mom had breast cancer twice, and can't really work because of nerve damage, but at least she's alive. Thor is a really good book though. She's probably my favorite out of the new characters with old names that Marvel is full of.

Yeah i wasn't too happy after reading that either but I'm sorry about your dad sigma :(

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Die Laughing posted:

Yeah sorry, didn't mean anything by your mom or anything. I'm in the process of flying back home after helping my mom take care of everything. I'm kind of finally falling out of the "help mom" time warp and spending $9 on a corona isn't helping.

Glad to hear your mom beat it! That's not an option for multiple myeloma and I'm just lashing out unfairly.

But seriously I think the notion of Jane being super loving weak under chemo and then being a loving superhero and having to make that kind of choice just rings real loving hollow for me. Like there's a loving choice for people. Like you can be strong at the very end if you just loving will it. Like as if somehow the entire cruelty of cancer isn't seeing your heroes struck powerless and unable.

I'm sure that's not the point the author is trying to make, but again, if I felt they were capable of executing on the idea well I wouldn't take umbrage in the first place.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Sigma-X posted:

if I felt they were capable of executing on the idea well I wouldn't take umbrage in the first place.

But you haven't been reading it, right?
Try the 2014 series out.

e: Actually, looking back, that one's is all a tease to reveal her. You could just start on the current series.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 25, 2016

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

But you haven't been reading it, right?
Try the 2014 series out.

No I haven't been :(

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The point isn't to give her the magical cancer free gift.
She resits the urge to live healthy as Thor forever, probably out of respect for all she's seen as a doctor, and the very choice to be the superhero, flushing her treatment every time she changes, is a burden.

I bet if Jason Aaron gets to do it, he'd eventually let her pass away from cancer.

e:

TwoPair posted:

No, read all the Thors. Thor a hundred years dot com

Well yeah. If we aren't just quickly trying to show off the Jane-Thor cancer stuff, read all of Aaron's Thor from God of Thunder.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 25, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Actually, looking back, that one's is all a tease to reveal her. You could just start on the current series.

No, read all the Thors. Thor a hundred years dot com

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
hestoodaloneatgjallerbru.com

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Thoraissance of the last decade has been so wonderful :allears:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
-

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Skwirl posted:

She looks like her friend that she took fishing when she's not Thor. It makes sense from a metanarrative perspective, we know Odinson will eventually be Thor again, easy way for him to become worthy again is being inspired by Jane's death, and since the original Captain Marvel is one of the very few major characters to stay dead, cancer is apparently one of the few ways to permanently kill someone in the Marvel Universe.

Blame Doc Strange for that one.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

No, you qualify for cancer curing if you deliver Reed Richards' mail.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_Month_2_Live posted:

In an accident with toxic waste, Dennis Sykes gains superpowers and an untreatable cancer. With a life expectancy of barely a month, Sykes launches himself on a brief career as a superhero, in an attempt to make a difference in the world while he still can.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

TwoPair posted:

No, you qualify for cancer curing if you deliver Reed Richards' mail.

I'm still waiting for Willie Lumpkin's head to explode when the shrink ray wears off.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sigma-X posted:

Yeah sorry, didn't mean anything by your mom or anything. I'm in the process of flying back home after helping my mom take care of everything. I'm kind of finally falling out of the "help mom" time warp and spending $9 on a corona isn't helping.

Glad to hear your mom beat it! That's not an option for multiple myeloma and I'm just lashing out unfairly.

But seriously I think the notion of Jane being super loving weak under chemo and then being a loving superhero and having to make that kind of choice just rings real loving hollow for me. Like there's a loving choice for people. Like you can be strong at the very end if you just loving will it. Like as if somehow the entire cruelty of cancer isn't seeing your heroes struck powerless and unable.

I'm sure that's not the point the author is trying to make, but again, if I felt they were capable of executing on the idea well I wouldn't take umbrage in the first place.

The point is that she doesn't really have a choice.

She can only be Thor when she's doing it for a "worthy" reason and "trying to avoid dying, personally" is pretty much the opposite of what that hammer would have in it as a qualifier for what is a "worthy" action.

Also the cost of becoming Thor is that any benefit she would otherwise get from her treatment is nullified when she transforms back and forth.

So she can undergo her treatments, possibly get better via medical science and have to sit around doing nothing when she knows whatever thing is happening that Thor could do something about.

Or she loses ground with her disease, takes up the hammer and does things to make the lives of others better/protect other people.

Jane Foster is going to die of her cancer unless some other MacGuffin comes along to save her (still possible given how cheap editors are about this sort of thing) but doing that would have to be against her own wishes given that she had told Odinson back when she first got her cancer diagnosis that unless he was going to make whatever he used to cure her available to every single human being, she didn't want it.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

The point is that she doesn't really have a choice.

She can only be Thor when she's doing it for a "worthy" reason and "trying to avoid dying, personally" is pretty much the opposite of what that hammer would have in it as a qualifier for what is a "worthy" action.

Also the cost of becoming Thor is that any benefit she would otherwise get from her treatment is nullified when she transforms back and forth.

So she can undergo her treatments, possibly get better via medical science and have to sit around doing nothing when she knows whatever thing is happening that Thor could do something about.

Or she loses ground with her disease, takes up the hammer and does things to make the lives of others better/protect other people.

Jane Foster is going to die of her cancer unless some other MacGuffin comes along to save her (still possible given how cheap editors are about this sort of thing) but doing that would have to be against her own wishes given that she had told Odinson back when she first got her cancer diagnosis that unless he was going to make whatever he used to cure her available to every single human being, she didn't want it.

It's almost like it was written without any particular understanding of how cancer or the treatment thereof works, but instead hinges on the whole cancer "culture" that is a loving disgrace. It's cheap as gently caress, and makes even less sense in a world populated by super scientists with God-like capabilities.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Go tell Jason Aaron he doesn't understand cancer. Who the gently caress doesn't understand cancer?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Toshimo posted:

Example:

Are any of these characters the originals, or are they all reboot type versions?

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Chocolate Teapot posted:

It's almost like it was written without any particular understanding of how cancer or the treatment thereof works, but instead hinges on the whole cancer "culture" that is a loving disgrace.

How, exactly?

Because my understanding of how cancer treatment works (having gone through some of it for my own weak-sauce extremely common and easily treated cancer) is basically "Try to remove it surgically. If that fails, some combination of chemotherapy and radiation that basically depends on you being healthier than the tumor we're poisoning. Also fingers crossed that the chemicals and radiation we use don't cause even more cancer for you later (or kill you outright on its own)! If none of this works you're basically hosed. Oh and good luck getting your health insurance to pay for any of this and enjoy spending the remainder of your life paying for the treatments."

I'll agree with finding most of the "cancer culture" a bit disgraceful (nobody actually "fights" cancer, you endure the punishing treatments and hope you were otherwise in good enough health to survive while the tumors die and your body struggles to purge the poisonous chemicals if/when the treatments succeed in getting rid of the cancer). Yes, it costs money to pay for research and treatments, but for gently caress's sake stop campaigning as if raising X million dollars is ever going to get rid of it.

There will never be a silver-bullet cure for cancer.

Back to Jane-Thor though, there are a lot of not-Thor moments being glossed over when people post panels of Jane doing Thor Things that skip over all the other stuff she does as vanilla mortal cancer patient, too (which you aren't seeing because you aren't actually reading the comics they come from).

quote:

It's cheap as gently caress, and makes even less sense in a world populated by super scientists with God-like capabilities.

On this point I'll just have to point you back to Jane being stubborn about telling the people offering to cure her that unless they were going to cure everyone else that had cancer she didn't want their help.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Dick Trauma posted:

Are any of these characters the originals, or are they all reboot type versions?
Tony Stark is still Tony Stark and the Vision is complicated but hasn't been replaced by a new character (exactly).

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

I wouldn't call Ms Marvel a reboot character either, just a completely new one. Their powers and origins and pretty much everything are completely unrelated.

Carol Danvers is still around as Captain Marvel she just has a less dainty sounding name. Lord knows there have been a dozen variations on the --Marvel name over the years, and I guess Danvers is herself kinda the original example of the current trend of heroes passing on their identities.

Hell, even Robot Vision is a reboot of the golden age Alien Vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Wade Wilson posted:

On this point I'll just have to point you back to Jane being stubborn about telling the people offering to cure her that unless they were going to cure everyone else that had cancer she didn't want their help.

I knew I'd seen a panel relative to the stubbornness before. I mean, if I could take an easy way out of the numerous horrible conditions I've got (including cancer, for which I'm partway through chemo) without any negative consequences, I'd jump at them no question. I imagine that the trade-off in her position would be that she doesn't get to be Thor any more, but that's not something relative to any real-world analogue. Unless losing the characteristic of being frustratingly stubborn is some kind of loss.