Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Doomdark made a DD this week:
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/ck2-dev-diary-25-man-vs-machine.971056
(It's about UI, not a terminator invasion, sadly)

Suggestion: Make the "raise all levies" buttons more prominent. I watch first-time LPs of CK2 occasionally and a lot of folks get rolled in their first war because they see the list of vassal levies and assume those are the buttons they should press, so they just end up with their mayor and bishop levies.

Also, if the hint system is on, clicking on notifications along the top that lead to multipurpose screens (marriage, ambition, etc. which all lead to your character panel) should point big gold arrows at the relevant button after the panel opens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Man, it's way harder to forge claims now that I have Conclave. My lovely vassals are always demanding to be on my council so I end up with a councilor that has like a 5% chance of getting a claim. And that's with a semi-decent diplomacy of around 11 or so. I guess I could just put someone in who is actually good at the job but I'm not sure how sustainable of an idea that is.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I guess I could just put someone in who is actually good at the job but I'm not sure how sustainable of an idea that is.

It's generally fine. You only need to keep most of your vassals happy most of the time.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Man, it's way harder to forge claims now that I have Conclave. My lovely vassals are always demanding to be on my council so I end up with a councilor that has like a 5% chance of getting a claim. And that's with a semi-decent diplomacy of around 11 or so. I guess I could just put someone in who is actually good at the job but I'm not sure how sustainable of an idea that is.

You know, you don't have to give into your vassals demands. Often times, it's better to keep your most powerful vassals in jail, or give your most powerful titles to your heir. Secondly, playing with absolute power is great, because you get to have a huge demesne. It only really makes sense to start empowering the council when you grow beyond two king titles

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If they don't have the skills to be on the council they don't have the skills to be an important ruler so a civil war would probably be doing the realm a favor.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Does Reaper's Due make civil wars more likely? I slapped the expansion onto a game in progress and pretty soon England, the HRE, and Jerusalem all had large parts of their realms broken off into rebel territory.

In other news, the Pope just declared a crusade to take Anatolia from the Seljuk Turks - just as the Mongols are starting to push into Anatolia from the east. Doesn't seem like the smartest time to try and grab it. Also the Turks and Mongols are both Sunni for what that's worth.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I've always wondered how you can really keep a realm going by being king over 5 dukes, all of whom are languishing in your jail, but I guess the peasants don't mind

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The peasants probably appreciate it, really.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Boing posted:

I've always wondered how you can really keep a realm going by being king over 5 dukes, all of whom are languishing in your jail, but I guess the peasants don't mind
The regents maintain the bureaucracy and since they are alternatively next in line or are of a station that would never get a chance to be a legal duke they are going to toe the line. Although it'd be neat if the next iteration on realm politics meant regents getting slightly more concerned if they aren't the type to toe the line or are actually next in line and start petitioning to either get their dad out of jail or just get it over with and execute him so son can be a new pain in the rear end.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Darkrenown posted:

So! I am:
Male Snake Pit Death version 1
Male Crushing Death version 2
Male Tiger Death version 1
Male Falling Death version 2
Male Bear Death version 1

Enjoy!

Found this on Reddit:
https://galena.io/ck2/

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Parallax Scroll posted:

Does Reaper's Due make civil wars more likely? I slapped the expansion onto a game in progress and pretty soon England, the HRE, and Jerusalem all had large parts of their realms broken off into rebel territory.

Not specifically, but with the overall higher rate of mortality it's probably just the net effect of a lot of short reign penalties/discontent councils post-succession.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:stare:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You need horse death sounds for when you put Glitterhoof out to pasture.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

On the other hand, there's no actual need to assign anyone, they automatically get taught by the "best" educator they are close to - you just set a guardian if you want to.

Oh good to know.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Boing posted:

Well, if anything, the realm is governed in spite of rather than thanks to the Dukes, so I bet the peasants are just fine.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah the thing about Feudalism is it's less a management system and more a large scale protection racket. The dukes own the land but they don't really run the land. That's all done by various other people all over the social strata. The liege lords mostly just sit back and collect taxes, when they aren't waging ill-conceived wars over some bullshit your average peasant doesn't care about nor understand.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

It's not working for me, what is it?

I assume it's a repository of CK2 death sounds or something like that.

e: It loaded.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 26, 2016

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Not specifically, but with the overall higher rate of mortality it's probably just the net effect of a lot of short reign penalties/discontent councils post-succession.

Also more lunatics.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah the thing about Feudalism is it's less a management system and more a large scale protection racket. The dukes own the land but they don't really run the land. That's all done by various other people all over the social strata. The liege lords mostly just sit back and collect taxes, when they aren't waging ill-conceived wars over some bullshit your average peasant doesn't care about nor understand.

This is why the only correct course of action is to become emperor, get Imperial Administration, and break the nobility's power (yours aside) as thoroughly as possible as you assign the higher-level titles to people actually qualified to run things, instead of whatever dick happens to inherit.

Note that this being better assumes the person at the top (i.e. you) isn't completely awful too, but, you know.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I just discovered that my daughter's (who is my heir) first-born son got matrilineally married to some baron's daughter. The wife is of my dynasty so I guess it could be worse, but this is kind of annoying. I forgot that he wasn't in my court due to his father becoming a bishop and moving to his court instead. Luckily, my plot to kill him is going very well, so hopefully I won't have to worry about this much longer.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

This is why the only correct course of action is to become emperor, get Imperial Administration, and break the nobility's power (yours aside) as thoroughly as possible as you assign the higher-level titles to people actually qualified to run things, instead of whatever dick happens to inherit.

Note that this being better assumes the person at the top (i.e. you) isn't completely awful too, but, you know.

That doesn't work though because you can't have county level vice-royalties so you always have to deal with some little gobshite in a castle

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Is there any intended scenario where a character cannot be assigned titles higher than baronies? I wanted to give a county that I had specially prepared for him to my immortal son (Don't ask!), and I can actually select 'County of Lübeck', but it will still only hand out the subordinate baronies. After I do this once, the county option doesn't show up again, and all that he qualifies for in the menu are various free baronies across the realm.

Does this have to do with his immortality? He's also my court physician, if that matters at all...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

Is there any intended scenario where a character cannot be assigned titles higher than baronies? I wanted to give a county that I have specially prepared for him to my immortal son (Don't ask!), and I can actually select 'County of Lübeck', but it will still only hand out the subordinate baronies. After I do this once, the county option doesn't show up again, and all that he qualifies for in the menu are various free baronies across the realm.

Does this have to do with his immortality? He's also my court physician, if that matters at all...
It has with him being your heir under gavelkind~

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Deceitful Penguin posted:

It has with him being your heir under gavelkind~

Nope! Just tried it out with allow_laws and elective monarchy (Not elective gavelkind, for the record) and passing a few days to have the game properly register everything. Same problem.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Gimmick Account posted:

Nope! Just tried it out with allow_laws and elective monarchy (Not elective gavelkind, for the record) and passing a few days to have the game properly register everything. Same problem.
Is he a eunuch? Nominated for a priest title? Celibate?

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Is he a eunuch? Nominated for a priest title? Celibate?

Celibate, but I experimented with removing that trait through the magic of save file editing before I posted my problem. Didn't work either.

I mean, I could probably just give out the desired titles via console, but that's not very ceremonial! Also, I'd like to understand this game that I've put hundreds of hours of my life into. Never had anything like this happen before.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

That doesn't work though because you can't have county level vice-royalties so you always have to deal with some little gobshite in a castle

True, but some little gobshite in a castle is easily crushed if he happens to get too uppity/cause too much trouble. Then you give the castle to someone less awful. Heck, I've seen counts just give up their titles without rebelling at times, because they're so puny they know they'll be crushed. They can be nuisances, but they're nuisances you can deal with.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Haha, I picked Historical mongol invasion for my ironman game because I thought it would be easier, but I think they buffed the poo poo out of Ghengis Khan. I spent two centuries chasing the Turks out of Persia , and he wrecked my whole empire in less than two years, and that's with my entire levy + retinues and mercenaries blocking off the mountains around Azerbaijan.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Ghetto Prince posted:

Haha, I picked Historical mongol invasion for my ironman game because I thought it would be easier, but I think they buffed the poo poo out of Ghengis Khan. I spent two centuries chasing the Turks out of Persia , and he wrecked my whole empire in less than two years, and that's with my entire levy + retinues and mercenaries blocking off the mountains around Azerbaijan.

Sounds about right. Horse Archers are hilariously strong versus just about everything, even fully upgraded pikes. I think they even buffed the Aztecs, because they managed to conquer Western Europe and still had 100,000 dudes by the end of a game I played in India recently.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

On the other hand, there's no actual need to assign anyone, they automatically get taught by the "best" educator they are close to - you just set a guardian if you want to.

I have noticed that if my court somehow fills up with kids that are not of my dynasty I never get a popup that they need to set their education focus. Sometimes happen if I inherit a title from a vassal and his wife and daughters move to my court. I only get a message that I have failed them when they come of age. I know they do not matter as they are not my dynasty (wow ckII is bad for morals) but it still irks me. Is it intended?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Welp.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

A horse you can trust

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Use it quick, before he starts "horsing around"!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
"This documentation you've provided as proof of your claim is just a bunch of shredded parchment with what looks like hoofprints on it? Seems authentic to me - There's not a forger born that can duplicate our realm's system this flawlessly."

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

I've completely forgotten how to raise troops from an individual county/holding. I can right-click a holding and a "raise levy" button appears, but it's always grayed out. I have to raise everything from the military tab and then dismiss the ones I don't want. How are you supposed to do it again?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If you're still taking obscure UI suggestions from scrubs too lazy to register Paradox accounts, a hotkeyed magnifier on cursor is the only real obstacle to me playing CK2 on a TV. And honestly would make things slightly less squintier on desktop.

Interestingly Windows magnifier works in borderless full screen but it would take some getting used to without something native that could be hotkeyed to either toggle or show magnification while held.

Parallax Scroll posted:

I've completely forgotten how to raise troops from an individual county/holding. I can right-click a holding and a "raise levy" button appears, but it's always grayed out. I have to raise everything from the military tab and then dismiss the ones I don't want. How are you supposed to do it again?
Click on the holding to go to the place where you build things and there's another raise levy button to raise it from that holding only.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Whoa, did the character window just get better or did one of my mods just do that?

Look at all that fuckin space

Edit: It might be the "bigger interface" mod? It was making the window taller before, but wasn't giving all that extra room for emblems.

a shiny rock fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 27, 2016

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Parallax Scroll posted:

Whoa, did the character window just get better or did one of my mods just do that?

Edit: It might be the "bigger interface" mod? It was making the window taller before, but wasn't giving all that extra room for emblems.

That has to be a mod, because that font looks like complete rear end.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

SeaTard posted:

That has to be a mod, because that font looks like complete rear end.

If your rear end looks like that font please see your court physician as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Parallax Scroll posted:

that dude is v much :stare:

• Locked thread