Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

I don't know what it is or how to even begin troubleshooting this, but over the past few days, my 6P has been getting seriously delayed texts or like this morning, just straight up not getting texts at all (people I normally text with regularly telling me they texted me like 2 hours ago and I'm definitely showing no texts). I use the default text messenger, never used Hangouts or Facebook Messenger for texts. I only use my home wifi and cellular everywhere else. I've changed nothing over the weekend to my phone so I wouldn't even know where to begin. Has there been any kind of data outage thing happening on any of the carriers that could be causing Fi to be delayed in this stuff?

I used to have this problem now and then on AT&T (and i was the only one i knew whose ever had it :shrug:). Call customer service and explain the issue and that you know it's not a simple service issue because you were getting emails etc but not texts (I assume this is true), and ask them to reset your number from their end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

My 6p is on Nougat and holy hell is the battery life poo poo at the moment. I imagine the next update will fix it, but it's annoying to plug my phone in as soon as I get home from work.

That's my story. Fi is still cool and good.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

No Butt Stuff posted:

My 6p is on Nougat and holy hell is the battery life poo poo at the moment. I imagine the next update will fix it, but it's annoying to plug my phone in as soon as I get home from work.

That's my story. Fi is still cool and good.

Same exact thing. Just got Fi a couple of weeks ago and really like it so far. But Nougat is slaying my battery.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Hmmm, I'm on a 5X and just got notified of the Nougat update. I'm already underwhelmed with battery performance, and tomorrow I'm travelling to Toronto/Western NY/Niagara areas for about a week.

Thinking I should put off this update until after I return.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I've had my 5X on 7.0 for a few days and I can't say I've noticed much battery difference. However I am also not a battery hawk who is checking and comparing battery usage all the time, so I may well be getting less usage from the same amount of juice and just not be noticing.

Even if I'm getting worse battery performance, I don't want to give up 7.0 because all the standard UI behaviors feel just effortlessly smooth, even compared to the "Project Butter" era improvements which were in most ways pretty respectable. Behaviors here meaning all the different types of scrolling apps and the system do in response to swipes, the way things fade in and out or transform due to taps, etc. The level of butter now is like going to level 3 on that old joke emote where the getout frog turns into Goku.

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 13, 2016

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!
With my 6p, it seems like N has the same screen off battery usage, but it seems worse with screen on.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Nougat brings data saver and screen off dozing. I'm definitely seeing overall better battery life, especially with screen off for extended periods like overnight. As usual, the screen is far and away the largest battery drain.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I've been using batter saver mode at work where I have a pretty marginal connection which seems to tax the phone. My last phone lasted longer but it had no signal whatsover. I listen on bluetooth headphones all day. Just got the phone a few weeks ago, so I don't know pre-nougat, but it's not impressive at this point. Battery saver makes it work though.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice

Jago posted:

I've been using batter saver mode at work where I have a pretty marginal connection which seems to tax the phone. My last phone lasted longer but it had no signal whatsover. I listen on bluetooth headphones all day. Just got the phone a few weeks ago, so I don't know pre-nougat, but it's not impressive at this point. Battery saver makes it work though.

If you're signal is that crappy at work, why not just turn on airplane mode then re-enable wifi? I spend most of my day with airplane mode on so my battery doesn't get sapped dealing with poor signal quality.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I don't have wifi at work. I use it as a text message receiver and podcast player. Still beats my old one, which didn't get any signal. Or it's that sprint gives me that marginal signal. Charging at 3 amps is a big plus too.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
So I picked up a 5x but I'm not ready to fully make the jump from AT&T (have to free the line from corporate). Am I correct in assuming I can just pause my service, continue paying for insurance, and basically just keep pausing it until I decide to switch or cancel?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

OldPueblo posted:

So I picked up a 5x but I'm not ready to fully make the jump from AT&T (have to free the line from corporate). Am I correct in assuming I can just pause my service, continue paying for insurance, and basically just keep pausing it until I decide to switch or cancel?

Like, keep your old AT&T sim in a drawer and keep paying AT&T for the unused line until you're sure you want to switch? Yes, that's what I did. The Fi SIM will be a new number though, or you can use your existing google voice number, which means now's your chance to go to google voice and pick out a fun number like 420-WEED-666 and have it be your Actual Mobile Number.

When you decide to stick with Fi for sure, you can either:

-transfer your ATT number over and abandon 420-weed-666

-kill your ATT number and keep 420-weed-666 as your main number

Variation on the above, and this is what I did:
-decide to keep 420-weed-666. meanwhile, set up google voice on a separate google acct, and tell g voice to import your old ATT number, thereby killing your ATT contract. This will be your number backup (you can still text and get voice mails on it) in case anyone out there didn't get the memo that your number is now 420-weed-666

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

To be clear, if you want to pick your own number like 420-WEED-666, you must do that in google voice, in the account you intend to set up Fi on, before you sign up for Fi. The Fi signup will then give you the option of using your gvoice number as your Fi number.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.

alnilam posted:

Like, keep your old AT&T sim in a drawer and keep paying AT&T for the unused line until you're sure you want to switch? Yes, that's what I did. The Fi SIM will be a new number though, or you can use your existing google voice number, which means now's your chance to go to google voice and pick out a fun number like 420-WEED-666 and have it be your Actual Mobile Number.

When you decide to stick with Fi for sure, you can either:

-transfer your ATT number over and abandon 420-weed-666

-kill your ATT number and keep 420-weed-666 as your main number

Variation on the above, and this is what I did:
-decide to keep 420-weed-666. meanwhile, set up google voice on a separate google acct, and tell g voice to import your old ATT number, thereby killing your ATT contract. This will be your number backup (you can still text and get voice mails on it) in case anyone out there didn't get the memo that your number is now 420-weed-666

The opposite actually. I activate Fi to keep the discounted 5x, then pause the service and swap my AT&T SIM in. My job pays for my phone line and that's kind of nice, so I'm not in a rush to start with Fi but wanted to test out the phone. Pausing service credits me back most if not all of the carrier charges, then later I switch to Fi. I think this allows me to not pay monthly carrier costs but keep paying for insurance on the device. I'm curious as to how long I can keep that going. :)

OldPueblo fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 15, 2016

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
This thread was really helpful. I ended up with a 5x, as it was heavily discounted and pretty much exactly what I needed. It's really nice having a $30 phone bill every month - previously, it was $90. I guess it's been a long time since I have gotten a new phone, and my last one I purchased from a coworker at a heavily discounted price. I had no idea phones were so expensive now.

Quick question, though - For those of you that switched from Sprint, did you have to still contact them and cancel service? Fi took care of the transfer of the number, and since the date of transfer, my Sprint bill doesn't show that my phone is registered to the account, as expected. Technically, I shouldn't be billed for anything past middle of this month, but do I have to still call them up and do anything?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
No, you're fine.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Nevermind, I figured it out.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 25, 2016

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001
Had an odd Project Fi experience over the weekend. I took the gondola up to the top of Whiteface (in the Adirondacks) and Project Fi gave me a notification welcoming me to Canada and explaining the data and voice rates. Didn't realize that Canada was not only just a bit farther north but also slightly higher in elevation.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ohvee posted:

Had an odd Project Fi experience over the weekend. I took the gondola up to the top of Whiteface (in the Adirondacks) and Project Fi gave me a notification welcoming me to Canada and explaining the data and voice rates. Didn't realize that Canada was not only just a bit farther north but also slightly higher in elevation.

Yeah, that happened to me driving in the I-8 near the California/AZ/Mexico border.
Welcome to Mexico!

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Makes sense. Canada is "up" from the US.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
There's a shopping mall on the border with Mexico on the US side, I get that message at the shopping mall, but they don't end up charging me, so they must figure it out somehow.

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

photomikey posted:

There's a shopping mall on the border with Mexico on the US side, I get that message at the shopping mall, but they don't end up charging me, so they must figure it out somehow.

San Ysidro? I live west of there and have a problem with T-Mobile constantly saying "Welcome to Mexico!" so if what you're saying is correct (and my assumption is true) than I might have to take a hard look at switching carriers to Google.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Is it a thing, that anyone, anywhere, has ever experienced, that sitting too close to the wifi router means nobody can hear you when you make a wifi phone call?
I hear people clearly but I have to go in the next room before they can hear me and this feels weird somehow.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
1) yes, San Ysidro

2) I have never been able to definitively figure out what's wrong with WiFi calls, but it's like using a really clear version of a bad walkie talkie. Weird delays. Weird dropouts, I'm never quite sure if the other person can hear me. But when they can, I sound really, really good.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I've noticed weird behaviors with wi-fi calling, too. Sometimes it sounds as good or better than cell calls. Other times it sounds like the other person is trapped inside a running washing machine.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Anyone used Project Fi in Taiwan? It's listed as a supported country on the site, just wondering how service is there generally.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer
So I'm thinking of going in on the Pixel, and I currently have a 5X through Fi. What's the best method to sell my 5X?

And is there a standard way of wiping it so I can be confident my personal data can't be recovered later?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Swappa.com or even samart.

I might be interested myself!

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Barracuda Bang! posted:

And is there a standard way of wiping it so I can be confident my personal data can't be recovered later?

The 5X and 6P have whole-disk encryption by default. I don't think there is a wrong way to wipe it. Go to settings->backup & reset->factory data reset, it will wipe the key and unless time travel is possible the data is unrecoverable forever.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
A little bit underwhelmed with the Pixel. Will end up fixing my 6P screen and keeping it for a little bit longer I think. I bought my mom a new 7+ so maybe I'll take her 6+ and see how well it works on Fi. I'm tired of my battery dying at 1 pm, lovely slow animations, and a horribly slow camera HDR mode.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Uncle Ivan posted:

I bought my mom a new 7+ so maybe I'll take her 6+ and see how well it works on Fi.

Are you talking about iPhones? Because I can already tell you how they work on Fi, not at all.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

Q_res posted:

Are you talking about iPhones? Because I can already tell you how they work on Fi, not at all.

Just abroad or in the US? Everything I've read says they work basically perfectly, you just need to update the APN.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

From the FAQ:

When will Project Fi support other smartphones?
Pixel, the Nexus 6P, Nexus 5X and Nexus 6 are the first smartphones that support Project Fi's network of networks. We currently only support these devices.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah, but everything works on an iPhone or any other smartphone except for Wi-Fi calling and switching Tmo/Sprint. Wi-fi calling is nice but absolutely not a dealbreaker, and the Sprint network is completely loving worthless to the point that I force Tmo on my 6P most of the time anyway. I also think foreign roaming doesn't work, which could be annoying since I travel a bunch. But as far as I know, based on everyone who's been using it, Fi works perfectly fine on the 6 and 6+.

e: To be clear, I already have an activated Fi sim that I'm using in a 6P right now. I would just put it in an iPhone instead. You absolutely cannot activate Fi service on anything except a Nexus because it requires the android app to do so.

Uncle Ivan fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 5, 2016

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I can believe that, but without the WiFi network and not being able to access the Sprint and US Cellular networks (I'm assuming based on what you said, you're stuck on Tmo with an iPhone) that would seriously hinder the quality of coverage. At least in my experience.

edit: Well, good luck with that. I'd at least be curious to see how that works out for you. But doesn't that render Fi essentially just an overpriced T Mobile plan?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

Q_res posted:

I can believe that, but without the WiFi network and not being able to access the Sprint and US Cellular networks (I'm assuming based on what you said, you're stuck on Tmo with an iPhone) that would seriously hinder the quality of coverage. At least in my experience.

If by hinder, you make "make awesome because it doesn't try to drop a Tmo connection for a Sprint one", then yes, you're correct.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001

Q_res posted:

edit: Well, good luck with that. I'd at least be curious to see how that works out for you. But doesn't that render Fi essentially just an overpriced T Mobile plan?

Yeah, but you can text through Hangouts which is pretty much the only reason I use Fi anyway. I'm curious to try iMessage because literally everyone I know has an iPhone but I think I would miss the platform-agnostic interface too much.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

College Slice
So you stay on Tmobile and you're going to try iMessage, negating all the benefits of Fi?

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Maybe, problem is, my desktop isn't a Mac and neither are the computers at work, so that's the major issue with using iMessage. I think Hangouts is THE killer feature of Fi (and it's why I used Google Voice even before the days of MMS support or anything else), but clearly no one else seems to think so, judging by how everyone seems happy to text only from their phone, and even Google didn't think that their end-all-be-all messaging app Allo even needed a desktop/web client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Uncle Ivan posted:

but clearly no one else seems to think so, judging by how everyone seems happy to text only from their phone,

Personally, at home, if I'm on the computer, I'm watching a movie or playing video games. At work, I don't want my messages going over the company network to a company controlled computer. I much rather just use the phone that's always on me.