Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
Anyone have experience with sanofi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I work for Genzyme, what's up?

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010
How....safe is it as a company? Any major layoffs coming soon?

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I'm in QC chemistry and we're way understaffed. I'm here at least until my 401k vests in 2 years, and if they treat me well I could easily see myself here forever.

Assuming I don't die of stress induced alcoholism or suicide before then. Fast paced high stress doesn't even begin to describe my lab. I loving love it, but we are completely insane.

I wouldn't worry about layoffs at all. I laughed when I read your question.

Mourne
Sep 1, 2004

by Athanatos

john ashpool posted:

Anyone have experience with sanofi?

I work for Sanofi Pasteur. Benefits and time off is great. I work in a production essential lab, so my job is beyond safe and stable. We are a GxP quality lab, so we do the same thing every day and we get yelled at if we get a different result. Be prepared for the beaurocracy of big pharma tho. I am in awe at our ability to over complicate simple tasks.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Benefits are great, time off is pretty poo poo here.

Everything is over complicated by upper management freaking out about data integrity vulnerabilities without actually understanding what data integrity means in a lab.

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

We're getting ready to implement UDI at work. Have any of you had to deal with that? If so, what kind of validation did you go through with the labeling?

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
This may be an odd place to ask, but does anyone here know about or work with the mechanics of tablet manufacture? Obviously asking because :2bong:

Seriously though, I'm trying to build a computer simulation of a tablet press but don't know how to best to relate the input controls with the output testing of: weight, hardness, and friability (if memory serves). I did work for a non-FDA manufacturer running a high speed press. I roughly know the basic relation that speed, amount of mix, and pressure have on a tablet's hardness, but, even though the project is "for fun," I would prefer to not have the simulation be completely arbitrary.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Get switched temporarily to work in our histology side, get huge slide distribution project that's priority...

...run out of loving slide labels.

Our histology department is incompetent as gently caress, jfc.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
I don't even know where to start with your situation, holy poo poo.

Labels?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

I don't even know where to start with your situation, holy poo poo.

Labels?

They're not supposed to get here till next Monday :psyduck:

Right now we're hand labeling the slides until we can get the labels in so we can print the proper ones. So basically we're doing something twice, wasting a whole bunch of time!

Edit: So for a change of pace and NOT to complain about my lab, is anybody here a member of the ASCP? Just trying to figure out if the membership is worth it or not. Their next conference is in Chicago, where I live, so that'd be super dope to go to..

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 23, 2016

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

So my husband has been working in a local lab doing ICP trace metal analysis for the past two and a half years. He likes his job well enough but the pay is poo poo and he'd like to be able to do a similar job somewhere else and make a little more money (something like $14-15 an hour). Does anyone know what type of similar lab jobs that would be a logical next step for him? Neither of us really know what to look for when we're doing job searches because everything that turns up is for someone entry level or management level. He's somewhere in the middle of those two and so neither is right for either. I feel like I'm missing some sort of obvious next step so I'm curious for your input.

john ashpool
Jun 29, 2010

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

So my husband has been working in a local lab doing ICP trace metal analysis for the past two and a half years. He likes his job well enough but the pay is poo poo and he'd like to be able to do a similar job somewhere else and make a little more money (something like $14-15 an hour). Does anyone know what type of similar lab jobs that would be a logical next step for him? Neither of us really know what to look for when we're doing job searches because everything that turns up is for someone entry level or management level. He's somewhere in the middle of those two and so neither is right for either. I feel like I'm missing some sort of obvious next step so I'm curious for your input.

Move? And/or more degrees.

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

What industry, what geographical location, what type of work, what specifically does he do - does he do A-Z from sample prep to running the instrument and analyzing the data?

$14-15/hour IS poo poo pay (and I live in DFW where the cost of living is low) for entry level, let alone 2.5 years. I can think of a bunch of companies off the top of my head that pay their QA techicians more than that to measure pH and torque and poo poo. If he has a hard science degree he is undervaluing himself and whatever company he works for is laughing all the way to the bank. Unless there's something you left out of your post he needs to be looking for a new job stat. Some companies are just lovely like that. My first industry job was $15.25/hr and I left as soon as I got a year's time in because the pay was crap and turnover was horrible for the same reason.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
There's bound to be an environmental lab somewhere that pays at least 5/hr more. Right now he's getting hosed.

The icp analyst is a crucial role for any analysis lab that cares about metals. Icps are jerk bags that require special know how to get results out of. Unless your labs rich of course.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

seacat posted:

What industry, what geographical location, what type of work, what specifically does he do - does he do A-Z from sample prep to running the instrument and analyzing the data?

We're in the US in a small city. He's got a bachelor's degree. In a roundabout way he does work for the state. He's employed by nonprofit lab. As far as I know he does everything from sample prep to running the instrument but his lab doesn't offer analysis. They just provide people with the results, they don't tell them what to do about it.

He has a boss who likes to come in and annoy him while he's working by talking with him about anime but when it comes to the daily operations, he essentially runs his lab in everything but name. Before he started, the lab was not profitable at all. He now makes money for the organization.

So yeah, I work in the healthcare industry and the high-school educated techs I work with make about what he makes at this job (which is $12 and some change). Right out of school he had to work a fast food job for a little while just to make things meet until he was able to get this job that was actually pertinent to his interests. I feel like as a result of that he really believes this is as good as it's going to get, that he's making what he deserves. I keep telling him that he's really valuable, if he gave his two weeks notice and left they'd have to close his lab because no one knows how to run his machines but him. That should make him a hot commodity in the lab but no one acts like it. He's a really good person, much better than me, he'd never threaten to leave them high and dry in order to force them to give him decent wages.

So yeah, if anyone knows how to find another environmental lab that would treat him right, I'd love to hear about it.

JibbaJabberwocky fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 23, 2018

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

If he's really running things, is he at least trying for the management positions? Might be a challenge to get through screening, but if he does, and can interview well, he might stand a chance.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Because of a lot of factors, it's expected to have a PhD to be in a management position. He's a Lab Tech now but could move up to being a Lab Professional (next level up) with his experience if he wanted to go to a different lab and work with biological materials instead of trace metals. He'd still only be making $14/hr which is better but not great.

I feel like he should try and get a job working directly for a government agency like the USDA or EPA OR just get out of the public sector entirely because he's being shafted rn. The problem is that I rarely find jobs that seem like a good fit for him in our area. I'm not sure if I'm just not looking in the right places or if there really aren't any jobs.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Because of a lot of factors, it's expected to have a PhD to be in a management position. He's a Lab Tech now but could move up to being a Lab Professional (next level up) with his experience if he wanted to go to a different lab and work with biological materials instead of trace metals. He'd still only be making $14/hr which is better but not great.

I feel like he should try and get a job working directly for a government agency like the USDA or EPA OR just get out of the public sector entirely because he's being shafted rn. The problem is that I rarely find jobs that seem like a good fit for him in our area. I'm not sure if I'm just not looking in the right places or if there really aren't any jobs.

It's not as important to have a PhD for management anymore. Experience is more important and he should try to move up if he really is running the place.

Is he not also looking for jobs? Your post makes it seem like you are doing it behind his back

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

People do themselves a disservice by self selecting themselves out of jobs. I don't know how many times people at my company are surprised someone got job X, because it was a higher level position. Then they usually get huffy and talk about how they totally could do the job if they'd only known someone at a lower level could apply.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 27, 2016

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

goodness posted:

It's not as important to have a PhD for management anymore. Experience is more important and he should try to move up if he really is running the place.

Is he not also looking for jobs? Your post makes it seem like you are doing it behind his back

This person is correct. I've been working in quality/R&D chemistry for almost 10 years and can count on one hand the number of PhDs I've met in management positions. Not saying some dont require them but they are the exception rather than the rule.

I run a quality lab in the pharmaceutical industry. I have a bachelor's in chem and am not pLanning on any more school.

Your husband is getting severely ripped off and that place sounds crappy. I understand nonprofits pay less. It's still extremely crappy. I have no idea what environmental health Science is but i know community college heads who know how to use a pH Meter only who make more than that. Especially if he's essentially running the lab. ICP is not exactly low level work.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

goodness posted:

I'm a RN so I'm off four days a week and it's easy for me to check on jobs in his specialty every now and again and forward them to him. Basically I do it because I have more free time.

seacat posted:

Your husband is getting severely ripped off and that place sounds crappy. I understand nonprofits pay less. It's still extremely crappy. I have no idea what environmental health Science is but i know community college heads who know how to use a pH Meter only who make more than that. Especially if he's essentially running the lab. ICP is not exactly low level work.

We live in a college town and he works for the college, which I think is why everyone in the lab is getting shafted, pay wise. He told me today that his previous boss (who had his PhD) only made $16/hr. So even if he moved to a manager position, he'd be getting hosed just as hard. I think a lot of our problem is location, as almost all of the lab jobs in the area are with the college and the ones that aren't are snapped up so fast. When I get out of Grad school in two years we can basically go anywhere so it will be less of a problem. Still, in the meantime, I'd love to have him find a position that paid better and also one where there was better management so he could feel more confident about his position.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The local university finished building their new field hockey field 20 yards right behind the plant

Don't think they counted on a bunch of old farts watching/creeping on their practice

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

I'm a RN so I'm off four days a week and it's easy for me to check on jobs in his specialty every now and again and forward them to him. Basically I do it because I have more free time.

We live in a college town and he works for the college, which I think is why everyone in the lab is getting shafted, pay wise. He told me today that his previous boss (who had his PhD) only made $16/hr. So even if he moved to a manager position, he'd be getting hosed just as hard. I think a lot of our problem is location, as almost all of the lab jobs in the area are with the college and the ones that aren't are snapped up so fast. When I get out of Grad school in two years we can basically go anywhere so it will be less of a problem. Still, in the meantime, I'd love to have him find a position that paid better and also one where there was better management so he could feel more confident about his position.

Half my job is ICP analysis, I have a MS with maybe a year more experience, and I make over 2x what your husband makes. I have zero people under me.

Him working for the college is what's screwing him over I think. I can almost guarantee there's a water quality lab that'll pay more within driving distance. Check the city/county/state website for government jobs, Indeed, etc. Check out the find a job thread in this subforum. They're really good at showing you where you to look. My advice in lab job searching: a few years of experience in a non-academic lab goes a hell of a lot further than you think it does. Employers want lab rats that hit the ground running. So if it looks above his 'grade' it's not apply for it anyway.

packsmack
Jan 6, 2013

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

Him working for the college is what's screwing him over I think. I can almost guarantee there's a water quality lab that'll pay more within driving distance. Check the city/county/state website for government jobs, Indeed, etc. My advice in lab job searching: a few years of experience in a non-academic lab goes a hell of a lot further than you think it does. Employers want lab rats that hit the ground running. So if it looks above his 'grade' it's not apply for it anyway.

There will definitely be environmental consulting places somewhere around you. Also, search for wastewater treatment plants, they can use those same skills and they are everywhere by necessity.

Edit: Sorry, just realized I quoted Islam but said nothing about it. He's totally correct.

packsmack fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 28, 2016

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Joke reply: Tell him to get a nursing degree :)

quote:

We live in a college town and he works for the college, which I think is why everyone in the lab is getting shafted, pay wise.
It makes sense now. Yes, you are completely correct. There are very few ways to make good money in academia, such as:
1) Be the football or basketball coach
2) Be high up in the bloated administration
3) Be one of the 0.01% of PhDs who is really, really, lucky and has loads of publications in some hot field, can pull in massive funding, and gets tenure

quote:

He told me today that his previous boss (who had his PhD) only made $16/hr.
Not surprised, but like I said, you dont need a PhD to be a good manager, and in fact the rigors of getting a PhD can detract from developing your management skills. Colleges are some of the few places that have the lunacy to demand 8 years of postgrad education, work ridiculous hours AND pay you a shittacular wage because life of the mind or some poo poo. Also, management skills in academics isn't really considered "real" management, but that's just my experience and YMMV.

Having said that there are absolutely industry jobs that require a science PhD but they pay commensurate (think 70-90Kish starting, depending on location and field) as opposed to 30-40K (yes, really) as a semester-to-semester adjunct.

quote:

I think a lot of our problem is location, as almost all of the lab jobs in the area are with the college and the ones that aren't are snapped up so fast. When I get out of Grad school in two years we can basically go anywhere so it will be less of a problem. Still, in the meantime, I'd love to have him find a position that paid better and also one where there was better management so he could feel more confident about his position.
Search for <your city> quality, preferably quality control with a wide but reasonable radius. You might be surprised how many manufacturing jobs pop up. I think the majority of science grads start as lab rats in QC because of the attention to detail required. The pay won't be that much higher to start with and the work is dull and tedious but once you get a year or two in a GMP/GLP environment it really does open a lot of doors. (I started doing QC for like 15.25/hr, moved into quality management for a little while, now run my own department and help direct R&D, and earn almost triple my starting pay from my first job, plus bonuses).

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Lab rat advice: what's a good brand of leather shoes to wear in the lab? I've tried Doc Martin's and Dockers and both didn't really last long. Martin's turned to concrete and the Dockers rubbery bottoms started to break down (I don't walk in nasty though).

I have wide feet and really pound on the balls. I'd go with running shoes but the lab requires full leather, minimal stitching (no moccasin style). I also require it after a drop of H2SO4 landed on my shoe and was just wiped away with minimal damage to shoe.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I had a pair of Vasque's for two years that held up really well on very rocky mountainous terrain. Almost certainly overkill for a lab but they'll probably last a long time.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Clarks are my go-to only because it's so hard to find good women's work shoes/boots that come in wide sizes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I've been using a pair of Sketcher's work shoes for approximately one year and I'm a huge fan.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Birkenstock makes lace up full shoes, if you want to go max crunchy.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Lab rat advice: what's a good brand of leather shoes to wear in the lab? I've tried Doc Martin's and Dockers and both didn't really last long. Martin's turned to concrete and the Dockers rubbery bottoms started to break down (I don't walk in nasty though).

Danskos are comfortable as gently caress and really easy to clean. I obviously don't work in a lab but seriously, they are the best. They're pricey but mine are four years old and still going strong.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

And my HR person is trying to stiff me on reimbursement for my certification exam as well as the study materials. How the gently caress is an HTL certification not relevant in a neurohistopathology lab? gently caress this.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I repair/rebuild the rubber soles of my Rockport Rugged Bucks with some Shoe Goo every several months. They're really soft and I wore through the balls of the soles in like 12 months on my first pair. Comfy though, and the Shoe Goo does a great job of replacing the worn sole rubber.

carnassials
Jan 5, 2013

I have wide feet and really pound on the balls. I'd go with running shoes but the lab requires full leather, minimal stitching (no moccasin style). I also require it after a drop of H2SO4 landed on my shoe and was just wiped away with minimal damage to shoe.

My steel toe Timberlands are immortal. 4 years and every solvent imaginable and only the leather looks bad. I've never even left a layer of sole "foot print."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Paging Discendo Vox and anyone else with QA or regulatory background who hasn't had a stroke in a while. Just remembered a story from my time at J&J that I wanted to share. :v:

You know that whole rule that Good Documentation Practices has against transcription of data? (Record your original data into the batch record as you do it. Do not record it on a napkin or scrap paper, then transcribe, because the napkin is now an official record, etc etc.) Next, do you know that part where the person signing the record is supposed to be the person who performed the activity, as well as the person who read the instructions / batch record?

What would you do if you were the QA person who realized that...

(1) Your batch record was only available in English format.
(2) You hired an operator who only spoke Spanish
(3) You paired him up with a second bi-lingual operator who translated the batch record steps out loud to first operator so that he could perform them
(4) And then the bi-lingual person recorded all the data and initials/dates in the right boxes after the first operator calls out the data values, because the first operator couldn't read the record to tell where to sign things?

And how do you scope your investigation when the bi-lingual operator is found to have falsified data in some of his other batches that didn't involve the Spanish-only guy?

Never thought I'd see the day when not only was data being transcribed, but the instructions themselves were being orally transcribed.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Oct 19, 2016

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Sundae posted:

Paging Discendo Vox and anyone else with QA or regulatory background who hasn't had a stroke in a while. Just remembered a story from my time at J&J that I wanted to share. :v:

You know that whole rule that Good Documentation Practices has against transcription of data? (Record your original data into the batch record as you do it. Do not record it on a napkin or scrap paper, then transcribe, because the napkin is now an official record, etc etc.) Next, do you know that part where the person signing the record is supposed to be the person who performed the activity, as well as the person who read the instructions / batch record?

(3) You paired him up with a second bi-lingual operator who translated the batch record steps out loud to first operator so that he could perform them
(4) And then the bi-lingual person recorded all the data and initials/dates in the right boxes after the first operator calls out the data values, because the first operator couldn't read the record to tell where to sign things?

And how do you scope your investigation when the bi-lingual operator is found to have falsified data in some of his other batches that didn't involve the Spanish-only guy?

Never thought I'd see the day when not only was data being transcribed, but the instructions themselves were being orally transcribed.

Oh thank you for this. It's been a while since the last gmp fiasco at my work and this is delicious to hear about. All I've got going on is a stock out in Europe due to filter lot issues.

For actual content manufacturing at my place had a manager who was placed in charge of the fill team, ~6k vials a day of a sterile injectable who's only previous gmp experience was supervising the final packaging team. Said manager then went on to bad mouth everyone who disagreed with him, created insane office drama, supposedly slept with a HR lady (while being married with kids), and then have a mental breakdown and go on sick leave for 6 months. Now he's back and managing the team with the stock out :bang:. God to have his connections to upper management.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
ahahahahahahaaahkill me

MissKeewi
May 19, 2013

Sundae posted:

lol the doc specialist at my company would have an aneurism. Thankfully, my company requires you to be able to write in English.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

So apparently New York state has its own licenses for medical professionals, and they don't recognize the ASCP's certifications. And of course my girlfriend is really interested in attending Mt. Sinai's medical college.

gently caress you, New York.