Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Pretty funny that Marvel has way more legacy characters than DC now when that was supposedly DC's big thing before Flashpoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Travis343 posted:

Pretty funny that Marvel has way more legacy characters than DC now when that was supposedly DC's big thing before Flashpoint

Yeah. Funny. :smith:

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I guess I'm picking nits but calling the other folks reboot versions is sort of doing them a disservice. None of them are reboots, some have just had mantles pass on. None share a name or anything with their predecessor.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Chocolate Teapot posted:

I knew I'd seen a panel relative to the stubbornness before. I mean, if I could take an easy way out of the numerous horrible conditions I've got (including cancer, for which I'm partway through chemo) without any negative consequences, I'd jump at them no question. I imagine that the trade-off in her position would be that she doesn't get to be Thor any more, but that's not something relative to any real-world analogue. Unless losing the characteristic of being frustratingly stubborn is some kind of loss.

To be fair, you don't have wizards and literal gods offering to cure you (one of them literally a god you used to date), either.

This isn't the conversation I remember her having with someone else about it, but here is where she tells Thor not to go looking for a magical cure for her.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I should've been clearer in the question but being out of comics for so long has left me rather confused with all the contortions the characters have been through over the decades. I really should have said "Are any of these the original characters from back in the 60s-70s-80s?"

Since most characters never die or retire I forget sometimes that there are ones that pass on their name to a new character, like with Ms. Marvel.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can't wait for Jane Foster to die to pass on the title of Thor, to Thor :v:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dick Trauma posted:

I should've been clearer in the question but being out of comics for so long has left me rather confused with all the contortions the characters have been through over the decades. I really should have said "Are any of these the original characters from back in the 60s-70s-80s?"

Since most characters never die or retire I forget sometimes that there are ones that pass on their name to a new character, like with Ms. Marvel.

Yeah marvel doesn't really do full reboots, like the Captain America there is the same Sam Wilson that ran around with Steve Rogers as Falcon, and Thor is the same Jane Foster who was Thor's love interest back in the day. Miles as Spider-Man is the same guy from the ultimate universe, just in our world now.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
The Nova title has changed bearers too there.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Die Laughing posted:

Go tell Jason Aaron he doesn't understand cancer. Who the gently caress doesn't understand cancer?

lots of people. There is a general pop culture understanding that A) Cancer is a thing that kills, but strong hero fighters can beat it, B) All chemo causes you to lose your hair, and you must wear a lovely bandana, C) cancer is a noble and dignified death with long stretches of just looking gray and wearing that bandana and being skinny because of cancer, and the most important part D) Cancer is generic and all cancers are the same.

And that's as deep as it gets, and that's what is being portrayed here:

Wade Wilson posted:

To be fair, you don't have wizards and literal gods offering to cure you (one of them literally a god you used to date), either.

This isn't the conversation I remember her having with someone else about it, but here is where she tells Thor not to go looking for a magical cure for her.

"hmm yes I have decided that I don't want to exhaust every option to live any longer, a decision that every cancer patient will relate to!"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Also goddamn if the Vision and Iron Man show up to save me I'm not going to complain about it.

But maybe if the late 1970s Defenders show up...

Cancer-talk: I would've been okay with someone getting me healing stones or a magic elixir to cure it, but I would've wanted a second opinion from Doctor Strange.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 26, 2016

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Spider-Man (Miles Morales):

Miss Marvel (Kamala Khan):

Captain America (Sam Wilson):

Nova (Sam Alexander):

Errybody:

VERDICT: COOL AND GOOD

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sam / Miles / Kamala need to have a trinity-like ongoing where they save the world and are cool and good then bitch about homework.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Wait, is that Ultimate Peter Parker?

Isn't he.. ya know... dead?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Infinitum posted:

Wait, is that Ultimate Peter Parker?

Isn't he.. ya know... dead?

At the end of the run he comes back and they basically go "he's immortal. Also so is green goblin". They fight, he says goodbye to aunt may then he rides off with MJ never to be seen again. Then the universe died.

It was really stupid

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Sam / Miles / Kamala need to have a trinity-like ongoing where they save the world and are cool and good then bitch about homework.

Champions is coming soon

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bringing Ultimate Peter Parker back just to murder him with the rest of his universe is like the dumbest loving thing.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dick Trauma posted:

really should have said "Are any of these the original characters from back in the 60s-70s-80s?"

You're fine! Sorry, I just get a bit sensitive with this stuff because every time a mantle changes hands these days people come out of the woodwork with the 'why don't they just make new chararacters!' crap. My contention is basically always that this is a new character and the old one is probably still around. Marvel's actually done a good job with most of the torch-passing imo.

I'm digressing but I'm just working through a thought here so excuse me. I've always thought part of the real reason heroes wear masks (besides them being easier to draw) is because it means the reader can insert themselves into the role and find an ideal to inspire them. If the reader can think of themselves wearing the mask, why can't a different character be wearing it on the page sometimes?

Even if you don't think the story is well-told, just having a different viewpoint can be valuable. See the discussion about Thor's cancer right here!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

At the end of the run he comes back and they basically go "he's immortal. Also so is green goblin". They fight, he says goodbye to aunt may then he rides off with MJ never to be seen again. Then the universe died.

It was really stupid

I think that loses a lot of gravitas, from him dying initially, to bring him back... just to kill him off so he could have a happy ending swan-song
Especially seeing how the Ultimates whole thing was "if someone dies they ain't coming back. This is a universe with ~consequences~"

Mucho Dumbo

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ultimate Peter Parker's death was such a powerful moment, and to have his massive self sacrifice deus ex machina'd away annoys the hell out of me, and I'm not even that big a comic reader these days.

How did he come back?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Infinitum posted:

Ultimate Peter Parker's death was such a powerful moment, and to have his massive self sacrifice deus ex machina'd away annoys the hell out of me, and I'm not even that big a comic reader these days.

How did he come back?

It's dumb.

"When Norman Osborn arrived on the scene after killing J. Jonah Jameson, Peter wanted to fight but was preempted by Miles, who rushed out to engage him. Prior to this, Osborn revealed to Jameson that a side-effect of the OZ formula was that it granted immortality, explaining how Peter survived. Peter helps Miles defeat Norman, who is immolated by Director Hill, and passes on the identity of Spider-Man and his web-shooters to him. He tells Aunt May, Gwen, and Mary Jane that he intends to go on a quest to find out the truth behind his resurrection, but later meets with Mary Jane and they drive away to live a quiet life together."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

You're fine! Sorry, I just get a bit sensitive with this stuff because every time a mantle changes hands these days people come out of the woodwork with the 'why don't they just make new chararacters!' crap. My contention is basically always that this is a new character and the old one is probably still around. Marvel's actually done a good job with most of the torch-passing imo.

I'm digressing but I'm just working through a thought here so excuse me. I've always thought part of the real reason heroes wear masks (besides them being easier to draw) is because it means the reader can insert themselves into the role and find an ideal to inspire them. If the reader can think of themselves wearing the mask, why can't a different character be wearing it on the page sometimes?

Even if you don't think the story is well-told, just having a different viewpoint can be valuable. See the discussion about Thor's cancer right here!

I like the stuff that was just posted about these newer characters. I'm always tickled to see such old material find new life.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Toshimo posted:

It's dumb.

"When Norman Osborn arrived on the scene after killing J. Jonah Jameson, Peter wanted to fight but was preempted by Miles, who rushed out to engage him. Prior to this, Osborn revealed to Jameson that a side-effect of the OZ formula was that it granted immortality, explaining how Peter survived. Peter helps Miles defeat Norman, who is immolated by Director Hill, and passes on the identity of Spider-Man and his web-shooters to him. He tells Aunt May, Gwen, and Mary Jane that he intends to go on a quest to find out the truth behind his resurrection, but later meets with Mary Jane and they drive away to live a quiet life together."

gently caress that.

It goes against the entire grain of what made that universe great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure it was to give Peter a happy ending before the universe got destroyed in another comic since 616 Peter Parker isn't allowed a happy ending.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Sigma-X posted:

lots of people. There is a general pop culture understanding that A) Cancer is a thing that kills, but strong hero fighters can beat it, B) All chemo causes you to lose your hair, and you must wear a lovely bandana, C) cancer is a noble and dignified death with long stretches of just looking gray and wearing that bandana and being skinny because of cancer, and the most important part D) Cancer is generic and all cancers are the same.

And that's as deep as it gets, and that's what is being portrayed here:

"hmm yes I have decided that I don't want to exhaust every option to live any longer, a decision that every cancer patient will relate to!"

I've already copped to hating A, my experience with B is true and I had the cancer that is to Cancer what Dane Cook is to stand-up comedians (testicular) except I didn't bother with a bandana because I gave/give zero fucks about being chemo bald.

Between being chemo bald and the stupid IV... thing... that I had to keep in a vein all week with anti-coagulant between treatment days (because of all the things to save money on *that* is the thing to keep going, the loving IV needle that was in a vein), which would always, always loving catch on something when sitting down or standing up or doing anything that wasn't being as still as loving possible because it was in my forearm or on the back of my hand.

I didn't "qualify" for a port because insurance didn't cover it and it wasn't expected that I would have to undergo chemo for that long of a time period for the surgery to be worth doing. Not that I'm complaining there because the idea of an implant specifically running a direct line to my heart for the chemo drugs to be pumped into was a bit scary.

"Chemo brain" was the loving worst though. Physical pain and nausea and random sores and baldness and a never-ending high-pitched ringing in your ears and continuously feeling like your bones are on fire are one thing, realizing you've lost hours of your day staring at a page in a book because you can't focus enough to read is loving awful.

C isn't exactly ever something I've seen portrayed anywhere. Everything I've seen about it in movies and comics says it's the most excruciating loving way to die short of literally being tortured to death over several years by one of Darkseid's minions or something. It is never dignified or noble in itself, it's the characters facing it and how they confront it that may make it seem that way, but the actual death? No.

As far as D goes, that kind of ties back into A.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Infinitum posted:

gently caress that.

It goes against the entire grain of what made that universe great.

Ultimate was always just a testbed for movie ideas that they could use without baggage, it's a mistake to build it up into something it's not.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It was really stupid

I just don't understand why Bendis decided to horribly undercut Miles like that.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Wade Wilson posted:

So...Jane lost all her hair in less than a week on Chemo? That's uh...not how that works.

Dick Trauma posted:

Cancer-talk: I would've been okay with someone getting me healing stones or a magic elixir to cure it, but I would've wanted a second opinion from Doctor Strange.

I don't have cancer, I have um...something else. And you better believe I would jump at the chance for any sort of strange magical cure or whatever. Also again, Strange kinda bungled the cure for cancer a while back, so I wouldn't really trust him...

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Hi I'm Reed Richards, and I don't cure cancer for everyone forever while munching my morning toast because

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Choco1980 posted:

So...Jane lost all her hair in less than a week on Chemo? That's uh...not how that works.

I don't have cancer, I have um...something else. And you better believe I would jump at the chance for any sort of strange magical cure or whatever. Also again, Strange kinda bungled the cure for cancer a while back, so I wouldn't really trust him...

But you need Strange around to find out if those healing stones will also doom you to 1,000 years of undeath in the unholy service of some necromancer.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

EDIT: With health insurance you can get that 1,000 years down to just 250! :woop:

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 26, 2016

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Reed could fix it, but biology is boring. Conferences full of idiots like Hank and Hank, protests by annoying people telling him he's not allowed to do forced experiments on captured Skrulls any more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: With health insurance you can get that 1,000 years down to just 250! :woop:

Wow, health insurance in the Marvel universe is loving great. Only 1/4th the cost?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ok, chucklefucks. You made me go find it.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Wow, health insurance in the Marvel universe is loving great. Only 1/4th the cost?

That's after you've met the deductible. It involves finding planets for Galactus to eat. :btroll:

EDIT: ^^^^^^ Who's the space hobo with his faithful M.U.L.E.?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

That's after you've met the deductible. It involves finding planets for Galactus to eat. :btroll:

EDIT: ^^^^^^ Who's the space hobo with his faithful M.U.L.E.?

Still better than what I got.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

AnonSpore posted:

Hi I'm Reed Richards, and I don't cure cancer for everyone forever while munching my morning toast because

Well at least they have a decent excuse for him not doing that now, as he's busy rebuilding the Multiverse in the aftermath of Secret Wars

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't have anything in front of me to look at but i swear Wakanda has already cured cancer and they actively don't give it out to anybody because non citizens don't deserve it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

drrockso20 posted:

Well at least they have a decent excuse for him not doing that now, as he's busy rebuilding the Multiverse in the aftermath of Secret Wars

He could've remade 616 with Jane not having cancer

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

site posted:

I don't have anything in front of me to look at but i swear Wakanda has already cured cancer and they actively don't give it out to anybody because non citizens don't deserve it

They're not wrong.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

site posted:

Eh it was a Hudlin book, better to ignore it being a thing

site posted:

He could've remade 616 with Jane not having cancer

Eh there's probably limits to what you can do when rebuilding universes, besides he probably had no idea about that anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Oh, man, you guys made me go look back at my Marvel Graphic Novels.

God bless Chris Claremont.