Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Dahbadu posted:

Grats, man. That makes a good defensive dragon. If it's already a decent level, it may be worth powering up!

Level 23 or so, I'm 28. I think I'm gunna save up for another Dragonite since I already have an 82% Dratini and around 30 candies. Woulda evolved that one over the 80%er but my pocket decided otherwise.

Randomly scanned the beach I'd left earlier today and, of course, there's a Lapras chilling with 14 minutes left :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
I hope poke centers will fix this:

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

yeah same also what the hell is that

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

Eyochigan posted:

I hope poke centers will fix this:

yeah...

wait what?

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
that's the current hp of my 72 highest pokemon after running out of potions and revives.

jeef
Jun 1, 2004

oh yeah i've been out of revives forever

in other news i got a 15CP Oddish with Razor Leaf that clowns the gently caress out of my 30CP Horsea with Bubble

4hourspdrvnmbnr
Sep 23, 2016

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Here are my new favorite bugs from the most recent update:
1) When you click on a pokestop, your Avatar still exists so sometimes a huge head just walks by as you're spinning the stop
2) Sometimes the entire UI just moves down the screen like 1/2" for no reason, rendering all of the buttons unreachable until you force restart the app

Yeah the derpy Pokestop thing is really funny, although it's been happening for me since before this update.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
RIP twitter feeds

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company
Saw a Kabutops for the first time today. Only 97CP so I'm like "I got this". No razz and just a regular ball.

Fled on the first throw. Motherfucker.

Going forward, need to remember to razz and ultra ALL pokes that I need for the dex.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

HiredGun posted:

Saw a Kabutops for the first time today. Only 97CP so I'm like "I got this". No razz and just a regular ball.

Fled on the first throw. Motherfucker.

Going forward, need to remember to razz and ultra ALL pokes that I need for the dex.

Don't never not razz'n'ultra dexos.

Don't. Not. Never.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's true! I used to have major issues but no matter what it is Ultra + Razz does the trick now. I think it's making up for being such a jackass before.

My game's crashed about four times in the past hour and a half after not doing so at all for a long time previously. Anyone else having issues? Seems to mainly be happening when it tries to calculate distance so it means I don't get the last few minutes worth which is meh. Finally caught a Magmar, though, which I'm super happy about. Even if it does have Karate Chop.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I'm not crashing anymore but the game for some reason is eating through my 3000mAh battery in three-ish hours. Seems faster than before.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
seriuosly does anyone outside of California even have twitter feeds?

not to be :siren:coastal elitist:siren:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
You've got two pokemon, one has a significantly higher CP but his IVs are okay and one has a lower CP but perfect IVs. Who do you put the effort in to?

I haven't leveled or powered up a pokemon yet, I know dick about it.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Bean posted:

You've got two pokemon, one has a significantly higher CP but his IVs are okay and one has a lower CP but perfect IVs. Who do you put the effort in to?

depends on what you want to do with them currently. Perfect IV is a long term investment but you'll have to put every candy you get into them. High CP is for holding gyms now since the only thing gyms take into account is CP level. As long as you aren't the bottom of the stack it should be fine. I wouldn't invest too much in an okay IV mon since you're already seeing diminishing returns. It will probably be a while until the good IV is high enough to be usable in a gym though so keep that in mind as well. Also important is moveset and what mon it is. If it's not top tier fighting mon don't get too excited since you want some stardust

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 26, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Bean posted:

If you know what IVs are, you're more than capable of finding the answer to this question. Leveling strategies are the only remotely complex part of the game and outsourcing those decisions to the internet is only doing yourself a disservice. Also, moves are more important than moderate differences in IVs.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
If it's not one of, like, five species, then the answer is "ignore the gently caress out of both of them."

If you gave me a level 1 perfect Dratini or Snorlax, though, and it came out with the right move-set, I would probably bring it to max. What the gently caress else am I doing with all this stardust?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bean posted:

There's no universal answer to this question. So:
1) Which Pokemon are we talking about?
2) If the Pokemons can't evolve (any further) what are the movesets?
3) How likely are you able to obtain more candies by catching this Pokemon (or one of it's lesser evolutions) in the wild?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 26, 2016

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Level 21 and I just hatched my second 10k egg ever (first was Eevee). Magmar max level, above average but not great IVs (haven't checked exactly yet), ember and fire blast. Good, or is Magmar Pinsir-level useless?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Hazo posted:

Level 21 and I just hatched my second 10k egg ever (first was Eevee). Magmar max level, above average but not great IVs (haven't checked exactly yet), ember and fire blast. Good, or is Magmar Pinsir-level useless?

You have his best offensive move set. Good IVs are just icing on the cake. Moves are the cake and your cake won the blue ribbon at the county fair.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

So yeah, I feel like this game chews through my battery even faster now.

Also, I feel like they hosed with the distance tracking. Again. I ran a 10k race yesterday and got credit for 1.8k. This fuckin game.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
So what the poo poo in this game is killing the battery? Is it the constant GPS check in or is it something else?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Look buddy, those minor text fixes don't come free

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Look buddy, those minor text fixes don't come free

I like my text like I like my women: straight-edged, white and digital

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Has anyone been having issues with the game constantly crashing lately? It seems to happen more often than before.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Louisgod posted:

So what the poo poo in this game is killing the battery? Is it the constant GPS check in or is it something else?
Probably graphics, I've seen a ton of games, even turn based 2D crap just have the graphics coded really poorly to use a ton of CPU and melt batteries. Phone games tend to be bad about that because the answer is always "get a new phone lol"

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

CrashCat posted:

Probably graphics, I've seen a ton of games, even turn based 2D crap just have the graphics coded really poorly to use a ton of CPU and melt batteries. Phone games tend to be bad about that because the answer is always "get a new phone lol"

A co-worker was showing me Final Fantasy Mobius and noted it doesn't come close to the drainage that Go causes. I guess the lovely code hypothesis is best.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Ingress was a game coded on top of a utility designed to give Google high precision GPS walking data by pinging GPS and wifi GPS assist as much as possible. Go is a reskin of Ingress.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Ingress was a game coded on top of a utility designed to give Google high precision GPS walking data by pinging GPS and wifi GPS assist as much as possible. Go is a reskin of Ingress.

Ingress got me to buy a larger battery for my phone because of the GPS. Sure my phone wasn't as thin anymore but I could play a few times a day and my battery would last for a couple days. When I stopped playing, my battery would last over a week.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Yukari posted:

Has anyone been having issues with the game constantly crashing lately? It seems to happen more often than before.

For me, just inspecting a gym is enough to cause the app to hang or even outright crash.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

CrashCat posted:

There was some bug introduced in the update before last that absolutely destroys batteries on some devices. About 90 minutes completely drains my phone battery now.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
I accidentally put a pidgey in a gym today. Let's see how long he can last!

Eikre posted:

If you gave me a level 1 perfect Dratini or Snorlax, though, and it came out with the right move-set, I would probably bring it to max. What the gently caress else am I doing with all this stardust?

This is fine if you're playing "quest for the perfect Pokemon" but I've been saving my stardust using it only while taking over or training a gym. I like having a wide variety of mons so that during training you have the lowest possible CP that can win a fight. If I could extract stardust from a mon to lower their CP, I would be all over that and would probably only need a dozen pokemon ever.
When you slot a guy of yours in to a gym, you want to have him high enough that he's enough rungs up the ladder he won't get knocked off so quickly, so that's when I power up my guys. There's no benefit to pumping all your stardust into a lvl 1 snorlax just to have him sit at home.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

notoriousman posted:

For me, just inspecting a gym is enough to cause the app to hang or even outright crash.

Some gyms are bugged unintentionally or by people putting eggs in them

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
My game crashes almost always if I try to inspect a gym or do anything regarding a gym, but to be fair I'm primarily running the game on my iPhone 4s and the game specifies that you should have an iPhone 5 or higher to play it. The handful of times I don't gym crash I try to put one of three of my monsters in there- my highest level Vaporeon, my Exxegcutor Bob, or my 10 cp Magikarp I named Karp U. Because its funny.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Question: What's the best types to use to train against Lapras? A couple of the local gyms have those on the bottom and I'll be going to train them up a bit soon, but looking at the type bonuses, it seems like the water/ice types end up with conflicting type bonuses. Is that going to end up with me just doing normal damage?

IE Grass damage is super effective against water but bad against ice. Would that end up with me doing normal damage against Lapras with Victreebel?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Alan Smithee posted:

yeah I run one for my new england suburb, only like 40 people following me though. haven't heard of any others

And it's still been working fine for me, why did someone say RIP Twitter feeds?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I finally have enough candies to evolve my karp. He's at cp 133 right now. So should I push him up to 150 or as high as I can before I evolve him, or just evolve and then candy up Gyrados?

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

Never power up before you evolve, lest you tempt the gods of poo poo movesets

Fusion Restaurant
May 20, 2015

Alan Smithee posted:

Tons of cities have twitter bots. Here's a sample: https://twitter.com/BhamPokeWatch/lists/pokewatchbots

They are stupid simple to set up w. programming knowledge.

https://github.com/bunzosteele/PokeWatch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

AirRaid posted:

Question: What's the best types to use to train against Lapras? A couple of the local gyms have those on the bottom and I'll be going to train them up a bit soon, but looking at the type bonuses, it seems like the water/ice types end up with conflicting type bonuses. Is that going to end up with me just doing normal damage?

IE Grass damage is super effective against water but bad against ice. Would that end up with me doing normal damage against Lapras with Victreebel?

You would be super effective and the Lapras would be super effective against you as well.

Rapidash and Magmar with a fighting fast move can work against Lapras, since it has a weakness to Fighting and their Fire-type makes Ice less effective. But those are all a bit sub par and it's a question if they've got enough CP to not get utterly destroyed anyway.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 26, 2016

• Locked thread