Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ziyatong/status/779888408059531264

good dog :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://twitter.com/ultrabrilliant/status/780391871893864448

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

i kinda wish i had gotten into mmos during the heyday

never played one. done a couple of weeks-long deus ex tears, but mmos just never looked interesting enough to me

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
someone linked to the article earlier, but these are worth seeing in the thrad

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Chris Knight posted:

someone linked to the article earlier, but these are worth seeing in the thrad

izzat lava?

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

DiggityDoink posted:

last ship was like if tom clancy went loving overboard when i first watched it, is it any different now?

all the police are bad guys

all the military peeps are good guys

in an end of the world scenario

literally the fantasy of the far right survivalist prepper types

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

izzat lava?

ya mang

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

the second one is extra-crazy. it doesn't seem like lava should look that way

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

nice recycled meme

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
this is probably a naive question but something I always wondered about the earth and phsyics. i know its impossible to generate infinite energy but as I understand it, the mass of the earth alone is what creates the pressure needed to produce earth's molten core (a poo poo load of heat). so what's stopping an advanced civilization from enclosing a planet in a big sphere so that no matter can escape and then just harvesting the generated heat from the pressure, forever and ever?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
http://i.imgur.com/86X9fdi.gifv

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BANME.sh posted:

this is probably a naive question but something I always wondered about the earth and phsyics. i know its impossible to generate infinite energy but as I understand it, the mass of the earth alone is what creates the pressure needed to produce earth's molten core (a poo poo load of heat). so what's stopping an advanced civilization from enclosing a planet in a big sphere so that no matter can escape and then just harvesting the generated heat from the pressure, forever and ever?

if you do that but for a whole sun, it's called a dyson sphere

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

if you do that but for a whole sun, it's called a dyson sphere

yeah but with a star, you're burning a "fuel" essentially which will eventually run out, right?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

the decay of radioactive elements produces heat. a big ball of iron and silicon in space would p much just cool down over time, unless it was vast enough to go neutron star/black hole. eventually even these decay into wisps of scattered energy. Rip.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

BANME.sh posted:

Bruh, wheres the energy input coming from in this system? Whats the fuel? How does it get consumed?

The moon has a lil molten core to it doesn't it?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

BANME.sh posted:

yeah but with a star, you're burning a "fuel" essentially which will eventually run out, right?

the planet and the sun are both powered by gravity, with things melting or fusing because there's so much gravity pressing down on them that they flip out. but eventually they will flip out so much that they get tired and turn into stuff that's harder to flip out. i'm now wondering if the earth's molten core is molten because of gravity or because it's still cooling off from when it was created

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbkfcS65B-U&t=39s

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

BANME.sh posted:

lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the decay of radioactive material generates some heat but the majority of the heat in the earth is residual from the accretion

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KoRMaK posted:

Bruh, wheres the energy input coming from in this system? Whats the fuel? How does it get consumed?

The moon has a lil molten core to it doesn't it?

huh, so it does. I thought for sure it was solid all the way through

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

BANME.sh posted:

off the cuff: the mass of the earth's crust creates friction and pressure on the core, which heats it up, because there's nowhere for that energy to go, as long as it can't freely escape. it does, from time to time, but the escapes are largely self-sealing. even the air/oxygen pressure close to the core is problematic to survive for creature or machine

to harness the heat energy would take what appears at a glance to be an infinitely looping energy generation system and open the loop. this is assuming you have equipment that can survive the strain of the molten core. if you had that tested and true equipment just hanging around, it kind of begs the question of what you're getting out of siphoning energy from the inside of a planet, tbh. there's also the energy required to transport the core energy to the outer crust, and the gear that can reliably contain and transport it without loss or rupture. the universe would have to be at a peak oil energy scenario for that to be at all feasible

if you were to harness the heat energy, depending on the efficiency of conversion and the rate at which it was being pulled out of the loop, would eventually cause the earth to become a solid sphere of more or less uniform "crust" over time. this would probably not do great things for the magnetic field etc. but the repercussions would have to be explained by someone like the xkcd guy but i'm going to guess it's along the lines of a destabilization of orbit which renders the surface of earth utterly uninhabitable or something like that

e: forgetting of course that a not-insignificant amount of inner Earth's heat comes from decay of radioactive elements. not sure that matters since the energy cultivation scenario is basically fantasy at this point due to the inputs required

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 26, 2016

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

BANME.sh posted:

i've mentioned it a few threads ago but if you like thinking about big weird hypotheticals like this topic, check out http://what-if.xkcd.com/ which is the non-terrible non-goatse output of the xkcd man

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
xpost:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the moon is actually hollow and it's a reptilian base that was towed into orbit

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Kenny Logins posted:

off the cuff: the mass of the earth's crust creates friction and pressure on the core, which heats it up, because there's nowhere for that energy to go, as long as it can't freely escape. it does, from time to time, but the escapes are largely self-sealing. even the air/oxygen pressure close to the core is problematic to survive for creature or machine

to harness the heat energy would take what appears at a glance to be an infinitely looping energy generation system and open the loop. this is assuming you have equipment that can survive the strain of the molten core. if you had that tested and true equipment just hanging around, it kind of begs the question of what you're getting out of siphoning energy from the inside of a planet, tbh. there's also the energy required to transport the core energy to the outer crust, and the gear that can reliably contain and transport it without loss or rupture. the universe would have to be at a peak oil energy scenario for that to be at all feasible

if you were to harness the heat energy, depending on the efficiency of conversion and the rate at which it was being pulled out of the loop, would eventually cause the earth to become a solid sphere of more or less uniform "crust" over time. this would probably not do great things for the magnetic field etc. but the repercussions would have to be explained by someone like the xkcd guy but i'm going to guess it's along the lines of a destabilization of orbit which renders the surface of earth utterly uninhabitable or something like that

e: forgetting of course that a not-insignificant amount of inner Earth's heat comes from decay of radioactive elements. not sure that matters since the energy cultivation scenario is basically fantasy at this point due to the inputs required

iirc mars has a dead core and as such doesn't have a magnetic field and can't hold a life-sustaining atmosphere. if there used to be life there its core dying may have been what wiped it out

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

god fallout 3 rules

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

YSPOS

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Necc0 posted:

iirc mars has a dead core and as such doesn't have a magnetic field and can't hold a life-sustaining atmosphere. if there used to be life there its core dying may have been what wiped it out

i don't think we know if mars has a solid core or not but yes, it has a very weak magnetosphere which allows the solar wind to blast the atmosphere away slowly

thanks magnetosphere

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

god fallout 3 rules

I loved it when random poo poo would just fall out of the sky. Like school buses.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

rewatchin dis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k84FMc1GF8M

lol poor stallman. Im gonna call it gnu linux from now on

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

spankmeister posted:

I loved it when random poo poo would just fall out of the sky. Like school buses.

i got a glitch where forces stopped being applied to gibs so when things would get blown up they would gib and immediately freeze in place. queue me walking around to find horrifying mostly-together blogs of brain and eyes staring at me. it is legitimately the scariest thing i've ever seen in a video game because i'd played like 60 hours of it and then suddenly oh god oh god what is that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vodQHlOB_GI

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

Bethesda_physics.flv

I reinstalled skyrim recently for some reason (I doubt I'll get past the first hour without getting bored again) and as I walked into the starting village I noticed a cow stuck on a fence glitching out and vibrating at high speed

:allears: Bethesda

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sagebrush posted:

I reinstalled skyrim recently for some reason (I doubt I'll get past the first hour without getting bored again) and as I walked into the starting village I noticed a cow stuck on a fence glitching out and vibrating at high speed

I'm pretty excited for the new crop of glitches in the HD remaster

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

a fan mod came out a little while ago called Enderal that you should try. it's like a whole new game with its own story and everything.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

i finally got around fo4 and for the past in-game week or so there is caravan mule stuck on the rooftop of the central house in one of my settlements. the only way i was able to climb there myself was jumping off the top of a guard tower that is next to it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Moist von Lipwig posted:

i got a glitch where forces stopped being applied to gibs so when things would get blown up they would gib and immediately freeze in place. queue me walking around to find horrifying mostly-together blogs of brain and eyes staring at me. it is legitimately the scariest thing i've ever seen in a video game because i'd played like 60 hours of it and then suddenly oh god oh god what is that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vodQHlOB_GI

some of these glitches are just :gonk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U54PTKQZy40

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

35 seconds in
https://twitter.com/PDChina/status/780098953899446272

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

excellent kan re nao

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao look at these idiots

http://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2016/09/the-bore-tides-of-the-qiantang-river/500843/

what is death? we just don't know.

PIIISSSSSS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

New YOSPOS background pls mods

• Locked thread