Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

And now, please rise for how I heard that anthem for a decade before I finally bothered to look up the lyrics. *ahem*

Oh all those skies
With all those planes
Where freedom and justice prevail
With courage and strength we'll *mumble* *incomprehensible*
For *mumble mumble mumble* land!
Woo hoo!

It also never clicked with me that it was a national anthem. (Cuz they were singing about planes!)

The track that plays for this mission is always the one that sticks in my brain, and not Blockade.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Mr.Flibble posted:

Crow, The the "lasm" missiles for some reason take the ships out in one shot ( maybe they have a small damage radius to them), whereas if try to take out the ships with the normal missiles,like you did at the end of the video, you have take them out piece by piece.

Those missiles indeed have an AoE to them. Also this being an ace combat game you can use the anti-ship missiles on ground targets as well!

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Teeeeeechnically LASM in 04 stands for Long-range Anti-Surface Missile. They weren't specifically called anti-ship missiles until at least Zero. never mind the fact that they're clearly modelled after Exocets and Harpoons. And that even after Zero you can still use them against whatever you want anyway....

:goonsay:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Cooked Auto posted:

Also, was the Sonic music supposed to come off that distorted?

An LP video with HOW 2 DRAW SANIC?!?! I have been summoned to this thread.

Bravo, crow, bravo, but you mixed it too low to be painful and you played it far too short to be annoying. Still, a video that began with a belch, had Sanic sandwiched in the middle, and bad anime plane national anthems sung at the end? I give this video an A++. Best Ace Combat yet.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Inglonias posted:

Oh all those skies
With all those planes
Woo hoo!

:911:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Inglonias posted:

And now, please rise for how I heard that anthem for a decade before I finally bothered to look up the lyrics. *ahem*

Oh all those skies
With all those planes
Woo hoo!

It also never clicked with me that it was a national anthem. (Cuz they were singing about planes!)

The track that plays for this mission is always the one that sticks in my brain, and not Blockade.

If a live performance of any anthem doesn't contain mumbling at any point, the singer is either a student or a spy.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Am I misremembering, or could you tag a yellow the first time they show up?

Or is it a later mission with an unwinnable Yellow squad fight where if you tag the lead he's shocked and asks someone to identify your plane?

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 25, 2016

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Fabricated posted:

Or is it a later mission with an unwinnable Yellow squad fight where if you tag the lead he's shocked and asks someone to identify your plane?

I think you can always hit a yellow once, but after that they become impossible to hit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fabricated posted:

Comona is the first time you can hit a Yellow and the game will actually acknowledge it. But we'll talk about that when we get there.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
So I was in Gamestop to ask about the next Hitman and what did they have in their PS2 rack if not a copy of Shattered Skies? So I'm finally playing it. It's good! (but it still can't take AC2's special place in my heart) I really like the plot and the story intermissions, plot-wise AC2 was blah and AH was bleh (Electrosphere: "what's a plot?") so it's very welcome, but you can totally tell this game was made by military fanboys without a proper consultant. The difference with AH is striking: the enemy deploys really unlikely mixes of planes, including seriously dubious choices (Tornados as interceptors???), ships are made of cardboard and go down with a single missile, you can hear enemy radio chatter like it was nothing, briefings are super vague, you shoot an AMRAAM salvo and control will call Fox Two... lots of things, small and big. At least compared to AH the war is a proper land/sea/air continental war and you can do proper war stuff like destroying infrastructure, shipping, etc. I don't think you destroy a single building in the whole of AH? except maybe some bunkers and hangars here and there

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.
Ace Number Six is Levy. Named for David H. Levy, born May 22, 1948. Canadian astronomer and science writer, discovered 22 comets either alone or alongside Eugene and Carolyn Shoemaker, and 53 asteroids between 1987 and 2008. In particular, he and the Shoemakers discovered the comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 in 1993, which a year later collided with Jupiter. Also wrote a thesis titled The Sky in Early Modern English Literature: A Study of Allusions to Celestial Events in Elizabethan and Jacobean Writing, 1572–1620, the completion of which got him a Ph.D. from the Hebrew University of Jerusalem in February 2010. At current one of the very few namesakes in this game who is still alive, at 68 years.
The fun thing about his paint scheme is that the emblem on the tail is the head of Red Baron, the first player from Sky Kid. He's not the only one with an emblem from that game, either - spoilers, I guess, but we'll be seeing his face again next mission.

On the subject of the Aegir Fleet,

Kadorhal fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 26, 2016

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

hackbunny posted:

you can totally tell this game was made by military fanboys without a proper consultant.

Well yes, the games were definitely made by and for Japanese milota. That said they're not meant to be realistic in any sense of the word, they're big bombastic arcade action experiences with silly superweapons and glorious, heartfelt anime speeches. Making them realistic would just detract from the experience.

Kadorhal posted:

On the subject of the Aegir Fleet, some time ago I came across some artwork that's basically a cross between Ace Combat and Kantai Collection. For those (possibly-morbidly) curious, courtesy of one "Tom-Neko" (it's a pun on the F-14, appropriately enough) I give you Geofon, Tanager, and Raven.

This is not a rabbit hole you want to start going down, Kad.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

This is not a rabbit hole you want to start going down, Kad.

Too late for that I imagine.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Final warning: :siren:THOU SHALT NOT PLANE GIRL, SHIP GIRL, OR TANK GIRL OF ANY SORT IN THIS THREAD:siren:

Further violation will result in thread lockage :colbert:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I should read post contents before clicking links

Kadorhal posted:

a cross between Ace Combat and Kantai Collection

No.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well yes, the games were definitely made by and for Japanese milota. That said they're not meant to be realistic in any sense of the word, they're big bombastic arcade action experiences with silly superweapons and glorious, heartfelt anime speeches. Making them realistic would just detract from the experience.

Making them realistic gave us a bomber mission and a proper sea attack mission :colbert:

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Cooked Auto posted:

Too late for that I imagine.

Yeah, it's too late for me. I am the warning for everyone else to not do that poo poo.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Kad you don't know the half of it. Nobody does.

I am the true cautionary tale.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

It's nice to hear Invincible Fleet in its proper context (previously heard it in Lunethex's RE6 LP). But yeah, I can see why one would be turned off to the mission with such a giant map to cover and so many targets to hit. Like, I guess the sheer volume of targets was intended to be an early place to rake in cash to buy planes/weapons/colors as the game goes on, mostly so the player wouldn't be strapped for cash at an inopportune moment and have to engage in a dogfighting mission with an A-10 or a F-4.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I hated this mission a lot less after I played mission 16.

It also helps that I used a Mirage 2000 instead of an A-10

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Dreamsicle posted:

I hated this mission a lot less after I played mission 16.

It also helps that I used a Mirage 2000 instead of an A-10

speaking of which what WAS the first ace combat to have proper sounds for the A-10 gun? I assume 6.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

It's nice to hear Invincible Fleet in its proper context (previously heard it in Lunethex's RE6 LP). But yeah, I can see why one would be turned off to the mission with such a giant map to cover and so many targets to hit. Like, I guess the sheer volume of targets was intended to be an early place to rake in cash to buy planes/weapons/colors as the game goes on, mostly so the player wouldn't be strapped for cash at an inopportune moment and have to engage in a dogfighting mission with an A-10 or a F-4.

How does anyone besides me remember this usage of it?

Also complete disagree how could anyone be turned off this mission it's easy, just longer than most.

"Eh it's just about lining up so it gets in the hole." - nine-gear crow, 2016

Lunethex fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 26, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Lunethex posted:

How does anyone besides me remember this usage of it?
Because I read the video description for that particular Chris campaign video.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

In mission 6, at 12:53, watch the radar for one of the planes spazzing the gently caress out.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

nine-gear crow posted:

Final warning: :siren:THOU SHALT NOT PLANE GIRL, SHIP GIRL, OR TANK GIRL OF ANY SORT IN THIS THREAD:siren:

Further violation will result in thread lockage :colbert:

So that's what were gonna do for the Let's Play huh? We're gonna argue?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Anime is love, anime is life, viva la anime.

But yeah gently caress that DLC. It's a gimmick that ain't worth paying for.:colbert:

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Lunethex posted:

In mission 6, at 12:53, watch the radar for one of the planes spazzing the gently caress out.

Yeah. I spent the evening playing AC04 and AC5, and that happens remarkably often in both games. I had about half a dozen instances of that and I don't have any idea what causes it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

LEGO Genetics posted:

So that's what were gonna do for the Let's Play huh? We're gonna argue?

He didn't say anything about Boys though ;)

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
I realize this one's been a week in coming, but I assure you I have no reason for that.

Mission 2: Containers

Supplies, huh? I wonder if they mean ammunition or food? Either way, this isn't what you would necessarily call heroic.

If you remember, the S-rank requirement for last mission was also destroying all ground targets, but this one's got a bit of a twist to it. More on that shortly.

But first, we've got two new planes to look at. Our first candidate is...

A plane that takes 22% damage from a single missile. But that's not the worst part about the F-G Hawk. That would be its weapon loadout. You can look at the end of this update for the full details, but here's the skinny: for a mission that involves destroying a load of ground-based targets, its only option is ten dummy-fire rockets!!

And remember, if you're playing on Ace difficulty, that number gets cut in half.

Therefore, we're going with this one instead. The MIS-30A is the first plane that gets unlocked by ranks on missions, and that's why it has stats that look decidedly not-bad. Bit weak on the anti-ground, but...

I'd say its armaments make up for it. The AAMs are super powerful seeking missiles that unfortunately only target aircraft. They definitely have their uses, but just not in missions like this one.

Instead we're going with these beauties. Napalm Bombs are highly situational but they're a load of fun if you find the right mission for it.

This just so happens to be one of those missions.

As the briefing mentioned, we're in the desert now. To its credit, the game has multiple environments for the various missions you go through. It's not all just the same boring jungle map.

Burning, eh? I think we can accommodate that.

What makes Napalm Bombs different from our other ordnance is that they do damage on a tick by tick basis for as long as the animation is touching the target. What that generally means is that for the best effect, you want to aim it for about the end of its effective range, when the stream of fire slows down and starts trailing off.

You'll pardon me if I just summarize this mission, as it's mostly about flying around and bombing things.

That said, there are some interesting things roaming about besides containers.

Tanks, to be specific. They're super sturdy and have a rapid-fire machine gun that, while individually weak, can eat your health super fast if you're approaching them head-on.

Look at the difference in health. That's from fighting one tank, and there are about three or four driving around on this map.

And yes, they count towards that "land target" objective.

Needless to say, I end up needing Mother's help a lot in this map, which is fine, because the MIS-30A is fast enough where the extra side trips don't matter as much.

There are also SAMs on this map, but they're all bunched together for some odd reason.

Not the smartest decision on their part.

Oh hey, look at all those dots. Wonder what that could mean.

Dirty trick, game.

But also easily resolved. In one shot, no less.

By the way, the game's lying when it says that secondary targets are destroyed. If you don't get the tanks, you're heading for an A instead of an S, and that's just unacceptable.

Several bombing runs later...

Now imagine doing that with the two starter planes. I did that. It wasn't fun.

You know what though, that didn't take too long at all. Let's do another one!

Mission 3: Defend the Island

Just a note for the future: any time a mission briefing involves multiple pictures, I'll be doing it in GIF form.

And now for something completely different.

For this mission, we'll want a ride that can take a bit of punishment and stay in the fray. Cue the FZ-23 Stinger, an aerial tank.

Check out this weapons loadout! It's even got the most powerful missile in the game, generally balanced by a lack of ammunition.

If only the rest of the game had the production values of these stills.

Appropriately enough for a level with a navel assault, we're fighting over a map that's 95% water.

The island facility is the red arrow on the map. We're not flying to that just yet.

Because we're actually concerned about the yellow dots on the map instead.

Wouldn't be a navel assault without botes now, would it? Their method of attack is basically the same as tanks, albeit a bit weaker, and also like tanks, they take a surprising amount of punishment, eating two of our Precision Guided Bombs before going down.

Let's talk about our PGBs for a bit. They're homing, obviously, but what's not immediately evident is that they actually do AoE damage. Effects in this game being what they are, it sorta looks like surrounding enemies at the point of impact spontaneously decide to self-destruct. Sure, they could have made the explosion effect slightly bigger so there was less confusion, but you know what, making two different explosions takes a lot of time and effort.

The boats are all on the way to bombard the island, so clearing them out just naturally leads us there.

Not a bad-looking little outpost. I don't know what "prevent too much damage" means, but in my first run, I lost two buildings and still somehow managed an S, so I'm assuming it's fairly generous.

Naturally, waiting for the boats to arrive means that we're going to have to deal with way too many targets at once, so we have to be proactive.

That said, there sure are a lot of boats out here...

And I mean a LOT. This level's fairly frenetic if you want to keep them from firing at all, and I actually enjoy it a lot. The game's pretty mediocre, but there are some shining moments.

Whoa! Settle down, Chief!

What he's actually saying is that the Ramasis has showed up, which means it's time for what could perhaps generously be considered a boss fight.

Kind of an unusual configuration of red dots, but it'll make sense when it comes into view.

For you see, the Ramasis is outfitted bow to stern with missile launchers. This seems intimidating at first, until you realize that its crew made the unfortunate decision to bunch them all together.

There's that hidden AoE effect coming in handy.

You might think that the ship's length-wise configuration would make Napalm Bombs a good choice as well, but they're actually designed to do less damage in water. Fancy that, eh?

By the way, there IS one big downside to the Stinger. I want you to look at the clock and see how much time it takes to get from the final objective back to base, bearing in mind that running out of time fails the mission regardless of what's accomplished or not.

Yup. If you're running low on time, that Speed stat can really be a detriment to your success.

I kinda wonder why he does the pause there. Is he checking to make sure that the plane didn't gain sentience and fly itself back?

Like I said, really enjoy that mission. But it's time to set that aside and ruin our ecosystem.

Coming up: We reenact BP eighteen times over.

F-G Hawk

Speed: Fine.
Air-to-Air: Passable.
Air-to-Ground: Hah! No.
Mobility: Meh.
Defense: Like wet tissue paper.

20 Air-to-Air Heat-Seeking Missiles
10 Unguided Anti-Ground Missiles
20 Cluster Missiles

Analysis: If you didn't get an S rank in Mission 1, it's either this or the Talon for Mission 2. Have fun!

FZ-23 Stinger

Speed: Surprisingly not the worst.
Air-to-Air: It could work. Maybe.
Air-to-Ground: Excellent!
Mobility: Gets the job done.
Defense: One sturdy vehicle.

20 Air-to-Air Heat-Seeking Missiles
30 Unguided Anti-Ground Missiles
50 Tactical Air-to-Surface Missiles
12 Napalm Bombs
16 Precision Guided Bombs

Analysis: Finally a plane that can take a hit! There's a better bomber than the Stinger down the line, but this works for when you get it.

MIS-30A

Speed: Fantastic!
Air-to-Air: Devastating!
Air-to-Ground: Uh...
Mobility: Precise!
Defense: It'll work.

60 Air-to-Air Heat-Seeking Missiles
20 Tactical Air-to-Surface Missiles
30 Cluster Missiles
20 Napalm Bombs

Analysis: Our first S-rank dependent plane. While obviously designed for dogfighting, this bird's surprisingly generous amount of napalm makes it an incredibly mobile bomber as well. Suffering through the S-rank requirement on Mission 1 also means avoiding the F-G Hawk, which is a boon in itself.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
War crimes, boss fights, and alarming enthusiasm for napalm drops? :stonk: Mother of god, it really is an Ace Combat game!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Aegir fleet is a pretty weak pearl harbor

botes didn't even shoot back, smh botes

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

My first run into Invincible Fleet wasn't as breezy as nine gear crow's and I was angry at the low time limit as I kept getting chased by interceptors and shot at over and over. I don't know what I did wrong but it felt completely different from how it played out in the video

Gamerofthegame posted:

Aegir fleet is a pretty weak pearl harbor

botes didn't even shoot back, smh botes

AH has warships as proper floating castles of death, bristling with AA weapons and taking a lot of fire from coordinated attacks before going down. And a carrier that actually launches planes. And when they run out of HP, their keel breaks and they split in two before sinking :black101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

hackbunny posted:

AH has warships as proper floating castles of death, bristling with AA weapons and taking a lot of fire from coordinated attacks before going down. And a carrier that actually launches planes. And when they run out of HP, their keel breaks and they split in two before sinking :black101:

Infinity does it even better: AEGIS cruisers will intercept and destroy incoming missiles heading to any ship in their battle group, so you have to destroy them first with guns or unguided bombs. Of course, good luck getting close to them when they and the entire fleet's AA network is dumping missiles at you. And of course Infinity uses the same game engine as AH, so they go up in cataclysmic explosions with shrapnel raining down in the water all around them and leaving big-rear end oil slicks in their wake. :black101:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

hackbunny posted:

For all of AH's fault (though I think the worst of them is not having a cohesive enough cast of characters and narrative - yes, narrative) the fleet attack mission is a great spectacle piece and the game's best use of DFM. Which is somewhat weird because it has nothing to do with dogfighting.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
The ground-attack mode thing is called ASM, not DFM. you see, the more acronyms, the more realistic it is!!

also criticizing AH's cast when we're watching an LP of Mobius One, the cipher before Cipher? :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 26, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
AC04 is built around the silent protagonist though. It never needs a gigantic cast of characters because you have the little kid subplot, SkyEye, and everyone who dies around you.:madmax:

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

Psion posted:

The ground-attack mode thing is called ASM, not DFM. you see, the more acronyms, the more realistic it is!!

also criticizing AH's cast when we're watching an LP of Mobius One, the cipher before Cipher? :v:

True that. AC Advance is so much about the acronyms that I don't think that they ever actually spell out what UAD stands for. I'm sure it mentions it in the manual, but from just playing the game, for all I know, we could be a rival corporation called Urban Assessment & Development.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Blastinus posted:

True that. AC Advance is so much about the acronyms that I don't think that they ever actually spell out what UAD stands for. I'm sure it mentions it in the manual, but from just playing the game, for all I know, we could be a rival corporation called Urban Assessment & Development.

It just helps sell the narrative that no matter what universe it's in, General Resource LTD. will be filled to the brim with such massive raging evil cockwhistles that they can provoke literally ANYONE into declaring war on them.

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Psion posted:

My head is still ringing from the force of my facepalm the first time I played the pipeline mission. Highly Integrated Target System? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

NobleSixFour posted:

My head is still ringing from the force of my facepalm the first time I played the pipeline mission. Highly Integrated Target System? Really?

I laughed at that one. I mean, here's the thing. It sounds dumb. It also sounds exactly like something Defense Contractor #3 would try to sell to DOD. And probably succeed. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it's bleakly appropriate.

consider Rockwell's FireStorm Integrated Targeting System (yes, FireStorm, just like that) and there's also Raytheon's Handheld Integrated Targeting System for the same HITS acronym. These are real things, or at least real Powerpoint presentations :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 27, 2016