Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't tell if you're playing along with a joke or if Canada really has cheese crime.
No it's true, how have you not heard of poutine yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm going to start calling poutine "cheese crime" now, thanks.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Baronjutter posted:

I'm going to start calling poutine "cheese crime" now, thanks.

Also, Putin.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Destroying cheese is a crime

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the url of that article is misleading, it is talking about primarily the budget reserve not FX reserves. The FX reserves are the actual issue but they are fairly stable, while the much smaller budget reserve (there to cushion the budget during a recession) is running out due to Russia running a 3% budget deficit. Supposedly, the solution is probably going to be higher taxes on Russia's energy industry to stabilize the budget, but we will see.

Yeah, that's going to work. How much is a percentage of zero income?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

chitoryu12 posted:

I can't tell if you're playing along with a joke or if Canada really has cheese crime.

Edit: Oh my God it's real.

:laffo: I knew about the Ocean's Eleven heist on the Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve, but not about Canadian cheese smugglers.

Next we will have a story about actual Canadian river pirates stealing from agricultural produce barges.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

chitoryu12 posted:

Edit: Oh my God it's real.

Wait, is this why Canadians come down to the US in droves to buy car-loads of milk from Cosco?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_butter_crisis

Well, about 5 years ago this happened to the wealthiest country in Scandinavia.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, that's going to work. How much is a percentage of zero income?

Energy companies, especially natural gas companies in Russia are still making a profit even if it is only a potion of what it was two years ago.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3206141-gazprom-q2-net-profit-falls-less-expected-ruble-strengthens

Gazprom for example still had a net income of $3.8 billion in Q1 2016, it is debatable if expect enough to really plug the budget. That said on average natural gas prices have been rising from their low in 2015.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 23, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ardennes posted:

Energy companies, especially natural gas companies in Russia are still making a profit even if it is only a potion of what it was two years ago.

http://seekingalpha.com/news/3206141-gazprom-q2-net-profit-falls-less-expected-ruble-strengthens

Gazprom for example still had a net income of $3.8 billion in Q1 2016, it is debatable you can expect it is going to be enough to really plug the budget. That said on average natural gas prices have been rising from their low in 2015.

The other issue is if they can even pull off a tax increase on the energy sector. It's needed but it alone isn't going to stem the bleeding, so I'm wondering if the oligarchs are going to go for it or they will rebel in their own ways.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Young Freud posted:

The other issue is if they can even pull off a tax increase on the energy sector. It's needed but it alone isn't going to stem the bleeding, so I'm wondering if the oligarchs are going to go for it or they will rebel in their own ways.

As far as the energy industry goes, Putin has nearly completely consolidated control over it and to be honest there aren't many oligarchs left to oppose him. It is almost to the point the Russian energy industry is practically an extension of the state, so basically the state taxing another portion of itself.

If it will be enough to plug the Russian deficit is far more debatable. The Russian deficit at this point is 3.3% and will likely eat up the budget reserves next year, although very tepid growth might shave it down a bit. After that the Russian state is probably going to rely on a combination of energy taxes, raiding other reserve funds and budget freezes.

That said, as far as the Russian state running out of money, Russia currently has 400 billion in FX reserves. It is fairly unlikely.

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 23, 2016

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Ardennes posted:

That said, as far as the Russian state running out of money, Russia currently has 400 billion in FX reserves. It is fairly unlikely.
Their reserves dropped by quite a bit since 2014 though http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russia/foreign-exchange-reserves
Although it seems they are regaining some of the FX reserves and they are not going to spend it as far as I know, their central bank is just going to print money to cover the deficit.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Either sales or income taxes are going to increase next, Ministry of Finance keeps proposing one or the other constantly lately.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Dwesa posted:

Their reserves dropped by quite a bit since 2014 though http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russia/foreign-exchange-reserves
Although it seems they are regaining some of the FX reserves and they are not going to spend it as far as I know, their central bank is just going to print money to cover the deficit.

The Central Bank tried to actively defend the Ruble then gave up because it acts completely as a proxy for oil prices and it was just throwing good money after bad. Azerbaijan learned that lesson far more slowly and nearly spend all of their reserves before they let the Manat float. The Bank of Russia actually made the right decision in that case.

While devaluation of the Ruble is what has caused consumer prices to spike, but in all likelihood spending their reserves probably wouldn't have stopped that. Also, the FX reserves the "ultimate backup" of the state and they are going to wait until they absolutely need to liquidate them.

woodenchicken posted:

Either sales or income taxes are going to increase next, Ministry of Finance keeps proposing one or the other constantly lately.

There has been talk, they may wait until after the presidential elections to do so.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Are you guys keeping up with the 'Poland under Trump' kerfuffle? It's kind of entertaining, if depressing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...9fd9_story.html

Zmieścisz się śmiało!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:laffo: I knew about the Ocean's Eleven heist on the Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve, but not about Canadian cheese smugglers.

Next we will have a story about actual Canadian river pirates stealing from agricultural produce barges.

Just, the quotes in these articles.

quote:

"The network involved the purchasing of cases of cheese and other food items and transporting these cases into Canada, without declaring the items or paying duty," police said.

Once the cases arrived the country, they were distributed to restaurants in southern Ontario.

The accused allegedly made a profit of over C$165,000.

The charges come three days after CBC News first reported the force was conducting an internal investigation into cheese smuggling.

A pizzeria owner west of Niagara Falls told CBC that he had been questioned by police over the issue, but assured them he had not bought any contraband dairy.

"We get all our stuff legit," said the restaurateur. "We thought it was a joke at first. Who is going to go around trying to sell smuggled cheese?"

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Trump has found another friend among Eastern European heads of state, this time it's a professional troll, Miloš Zeman of the Czech Republic.
They're really the same kind of politician - clowns that just say one ridiculous lie after another to get attention. I mean, Zeman is even proposing a fence around the country to stop them darn muslim terrorist immigrants.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 23, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The truly effective way to take down PiS in Poland: Judo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-qXZzlNGg

(Basically, the guy in the plaid shirt was a passerby who interrupted a press conference by PiS lawmaker Ryszard Terlecki to voice his opinion and question him. When his spokesman intervened to pull him away a final time, the passerby judo threw him and pinned him before parliamentary security could pull him off)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

So, that referendum in Republika Srpska I was talking about several days ago is over, and apparently it had 51% turnout making it legal in the eyes of its organizers. Preliminary results are expected at 21:00 (in about an hour from now) and I wholly expect it to be heavily in favor of "Yes". Let us hope it won't spark a crisis and they somehow reach a compromise.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Is there any other country supporting this referendum, as in a larger European nation? Is this just for the interest of this small republic, and not much will happen as a result?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Is there any other country supporting this referendum, as in a larger European nation? Is this just for the interest of this small republic, and not much will happen as a result?

Russia.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I should have known that. :tipshat:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Disco Infiva posted:

So, that referendum in Republika Srpska I was talking about several days ago is over, and apparently it had 51% turnout making it legal in the eyes of its organizers. Preliminary results are expected at 21:00 (in about an hour from now) and I wholly expect it to be heavily in favor of "Yes". Let us hope it won't spark a crisis and they somehow reach a compromise.

So far it's passage is near-unanimous.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The_Franz posted:

So far it's passage is near-unanimous.

Yeah.

71.09% of total votes has been counted.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Srpskxit

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
If I understand correctly, the content of the referendum is irrelevant. The fact that they are holding it is important because they are ignoring federal authorities.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The actual content of the referendum has to do with a national holiday, I believe.

HE

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Doctor Malaver posted:

If I understand correctly, the content of the referendum is irrelevant. The fact that they are holding it is important because they are ignoring federal authorities.

Yes, but referendum not passing or having less than 50% voter turnout would have probably diffused the situation, since RS politicians would have lost their momentum.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Again with the "if I understood correctly" caveat, there is no independent oversight so they can come up with any numbers they want.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Malaver posted:

Again with the "if I understood correctly" caveat, there is no independent oversight so they can come up with any numbers they want.
Getting over 99% on any referendum is plenty suspicious already, as I'm pretty sure you could ask if water is wet and at least 10% would vote "no".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

mobby_6kl posted:

Getting over 99% on any referendum is plenty suspicious already, as I'm pretty sure you could ask if water is wet and at least 10% would vote "no".

As is getting a 51% turnout in an election with a majority participation clause.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Big week for MH17, on Wednesday the official criminal investigation into the case will have a press conference, 1pm local time in Holland, revealing information about the investigation, including what they believe is the launch site. Bellingcat first published a piece identifying the likely launch site in January 2015 (here), and an area in and around it was also identified as the launch site in the official Dutch Safety Board report (here), so if the JIT agrees with Bellingcat it'll make a lot of people take our work a whole lot more seriously. This is problematic for the Kremlin as we've also pointed the finger at them and to a specific Buk missile launcher we say they provided. So in the last week we've had two dodgy reports released in Russia that have attacked Bellingcat, and was widely covered in pro-Kremlin media, despite the fact one of the reports came from "anonymous Russian bloggers" who turned out to be led by A Russian Ultranationalist with close ties to the separatists, and works as the head of PR for a think tank set up by Putin himself.

Now Almaz-Antey, the Russian state owned Buk manufacturer, has "discovered" what they claim is key radar data only days before the JIT press conference, which will be presented at a Russian MoD press conference taking place this afternoon in Russia. A pretty naked attempt to distract from the JIT press conference.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

And ahead of the press conference, which should start in 20 minutes, I made a video about the last press conference

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/780370204043911169

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The Russian MH17 press conference presented radar data which they say proves there was nothing near MH17 when it was shot down, not even a missile. Of course, this completely contradicts their July 21st 2014 claim there WAS an aircraft near MH17 they identified as an SU-25. So they've helpfully proven they were liars, which is nice.

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2016/09/26/russian-defence-ministry-presents-evidence-faked-previous-mh17-evidence/

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Brown Moses posted:

And ahead of the press conference, which should start in 20 minutes, I made a video about the last press conference

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/780370204043911169

What music is that?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Discendo Vox posted:

What music is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgHxmAsINDk

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Discendo Vox posted:

What music is that?

Possibly the greatest movement of a symphony ever written.

Jygallax
Oct 17, 2011

Every human being deserves respect. Even if if they are a little different.
Russia's game with MH17 is becoming absurd at this point, they just. can't. let. it. go...

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jygallax posted:

Russia's game with MH17 is becoming absurd at this point, they just. can't. let. it. go...

Well they let that missile go which is why we are in this situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Jygallax posted:

Becoming? Did you not see the photoshopped fighter jet?