Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

berzerkmonkey posted:

Battle mat, you say? Hmmm...

Yeah, waiting for confirmation that it is 4x6, it is neoprene for sure though.

edit: nope they are 4x4, for $85? no thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Ouch, the Goliath is $60.

Also, the Broodcoven are the same models from the Deathwatch Overkill set with a premium markup.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Overkill is definitely the method for building an initial GSC army, though a box or two of both Hybrids might be a good idea. Also Chimeras are relatively cheap online so if Goliaths are an issue they'd be a good place to start.

Probably going to have to eBay up two to three Goliaths soon enough though. I really do like their look and Acolytes assaulting out after tossing a demolition charge is going to be bonkers.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Ouch, the Goliath is $60.

Also, the Broodcoven are the same models from the Deathwatch Overkill set with a premium markup.

Stuff like this is weird considering that the Deathwatch stuff was all either less expensive versions of stuff that exists (Captains and Terminator captains) or fairly reasonable (Overkill Deathwatch models at $65)

Maybe the Goliath just has a shitload of bits and whatnot. Though it should be relatively easy to magnetize between the two variants.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

berzerkmonkey posted:

EDIT: Bah, it's 4x4, intended for Kill Team. Also, apparently GSC datacards will be the last datacards produced.

I'm actually kind of bummed about that. I liked the datacards, and was hoping they'd finally do a set for Chaos Space Marines, since they have multiple alternate sets of tactical objectives with no card support.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Seriously hope they're just gonna do the faction-specific Tactical Objectives by themselves because jfc trying to keep track of them without the cards is like pulling teeth.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

berzerkmonkey posted:

EDIT: Bah, it's 4x4, intended for Kill Team. Also, apparently GSC datacards will be the last datacards produced.

I'm betting that's because this was probably going to be the last from scratch army release for this edition of 40k. 60bux for the Goliath is a little rough though.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Guess I should use counts-as Genestealers for my Deathskullz.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

GreenMarine posted:

Guess I should use counts-as Genestealers for my Deathskullz.

Yeah, my apocalyptic death-cult of Hive Fleet Dägothulhusothoth will definitely out-Ork my Orks.

In other news, I've officially jokingly been accused of being Phil Kelly by some spergs on /tg/. As those dudes have been releasing rules, my excitement has built to a crescendo. I've come all the way back from talking myself out of starting GSC to going in whole-hog.

Is there any real visual difference besides clothes or something between vanilla Genestealers and Purestrains? I don't recall Purestrains getting a separate release outside of Overkill, and regular dudes are a dime a dozen on eBay still.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Yeah, my apocalyptic death-cult of Hive Fleet Dägothulhusothoth will definitely out-Ork my Orks.

In other news, I've officially jokingly been accused of being Phil Kelly by some spergs on /tg/. As those dudes have been releasing rules, my excitement has built to a crescendo. I've come all the way back from talking myself out of starting GSC to going in whole-hog.

Is there any real visual difference besides clothes or something between vanilla Genestealers and Purestrains? I don't recall Purestrains getting a separate release outside of Overkill, and regular dudes are a dime a dozen on eBay still.

The "Purestrain Princelings" are standard Genestealers with no clothes or extra bitz in a standard pose, albeit a cool mix of Space Hulk/2nd Ed and newer 4th Ed sculpts. Standard models work just fine. The standard box is what's offered in the store for GSC models.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I have an overkill box already, and probably thirty other genestealers kicking around. I'm thinking two goliaths for the acolytes/hybrids and maybe a squadron of Russes for support. Can't think I'd need much more than that for 1,500-2k? Maybe an Aegis line...

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
drat you GW and your unit taxes. Just bumped my order up to 2 acolyte & 1 neophyte box so I'll have enough to field a Cult Insurrection detatchment. At least there's already a billion painted 'stealers sitting in the spare room though...

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I understand the fluff purpose of Genestealers, but what do they actually do on the tabletop?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

I understand the fluff purpose of Genestealers, but what do they actually do on the tabletop?

Bodyguard for the Broodcoven?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

mango sentinel posted:

In the 'Nid list? Typically die uselessly, maybe luck out against a single squad before getting blown to pieces. Most people I saw take them because either A) They had them laying around and felt the need to use them, or B) Wanted a Troops choice they didn't need to babysit with a Synapse creature.

The upgrades the Purestrains get make them so much better it's not even funny.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

If they can make it to close combat they'll tear poo poo up.

IF.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

xtothez posted:

Also Cult 'stealers are 13pts/model and gain +1A, 5++ invuln, stealth compared to Codex Tyranids. When used with the Cult Insurrection detachment they get Shrouded on the first game turn, and can vanish back into Ongoing Reserves to regain D6 lost models when they return. Gonna be fielding so many of these little fuckers.

:stare:

Yyyup, looks like it's time to field all genestealers at once.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snollygoster posted:

I wonder how much flakk this army can put in the air. It sounds like a pair of Heldrakes can run game on this entire list, but I guess that depends on how big a role aircraft play in your local meta.

50 point twin-linked autocannons can work in a pinch.

EDIT: Can't sentinels take flakk missiles?

LordAba fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 27, 2016

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Soulfucker posted:

:stare:

Yyyup, looks like it's time to field all genestealers at once.

I just saw the page itself. Most of that is true, but they are still 14 points a model.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Does anyone have 1 (one) termiantor-sized base I can buy? All I need is one. But if you have 2 and can sell me them, I'll buy 2 in case I gently caress up the first one.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Genestealer cult design vision: "Let's make characterful rules and models that make this new army greater than the sum of its parts, leverage our existing inventory of plastic kits, and appeal to the 2nd edition grogs and newcomers alike"

Ork design vision: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asPTAL5xk18

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

Does anyone have 1 (one) termiantor-sized base I can buy? All I need is one. But if you have 2 and can sell me them, I'll buy 2 in case I gently caress up the first one.
I can hook you up and mail a couple your way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Safety Factor posted:

The metamorphs are straight out of a horror movie or something. They're a horrible mish-mash of all sort of Tyranid bits; there's even a dude with a little crushing claw. I am going to be really tempted to get my Tyranids out of storage and pick up some of these guys, but I've got more than enough to keep me busy right now.

Also, just look at this fucker:

This reminds me of Bucky O'Hare in a really good way :cool:

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Every time I see the thumbnail I want him to be giving a thumbs up but then he's not.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Hey so getting dragged back in to the hobby by some friends and they want to attend some local tournaments soon. I haven't played since 6th and I got hella poo poo to re-learn, so for Chaos right now is there any must have units? I will have to fill up some gaps as what I got left is 2 landraiders, 2 rhinos, a heldrake, Prince and assorted heroes, and a bunch of CSM.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Man, I hope they give 'stealers similar buffs in the actual Tyranid codex too. For such an iconic critter, they sure are poo poo. Feels kinda weird that they get way better stats when ported to a different codex. :(

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Attestant posted:

Man, I hope they give 'stealers similar buffs in the actual Tyranid codex too. For such an iconic critter, they sure are poo poo. Feels kinda weird that they get way better stats when ported to a different codex. :(

Genestealers are good now!*

*Except Tyranids

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Attestant posted:

The designer's notes video they put up said that the vanguard 'stealers come from better quality biomass than their hive fleet versions. Basically I think they're going to wait until the next Tyranid codex to make changes there.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Evil Canadian posted:

Hey so getting dragged back in to the hobby by some friends and they want to attend some local tournaments soon. I haven't played since 6th and I got hella poo poo to re-learn, so for Chaos right now is there any must have units? I will have to fill up some gaps as what I got left is 2 landraiders, 2 rhinos, a heldrake, Prince and assorted heroes, and a bunch of CSM.

Landraiders are very expensive points wise. Daemon Princes can be good, but you need to protect them with a screen. Things which I think are good (subjective)

Obliterators. Don't bother with Havocs (unless you really need Skyfire which you have from the Heldrake). Models are ugly and a nightmare to assemble so feel free to proxy terminators or use third party models.
Helbrutes. Have 4 attacks now so not terrible.
Defilers - expensive points wise but very flexible.
Spawn with mark of Nurgle. Fast and tough, make for great screens for your warlord
Lord on a bike. Stick him with the Spawn.
Cultists - they're fluffy and there are these things called formations which can make them fearless or give zealot or let them replenish their numbers. Great for blunting assaults by Death Stars.

You could look into Khorne Daemonkin which is a different codex but is very fun and very good and uses a lot of the same models. It fixes a lot of the problems with CSM.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

xtothez posted:

The designer's notes video they put up said that the vanguard 'stealers come from better quality biomass than their hive fleet versions. Basically I think they're going to wait until the next Tyranid codex to make changes there.

Yeah, nice that there's a fluff justification and all, but it still sucks how such an iconic unit is a trap choice in their original codex.

I may be tempted to ally with the cult, just to get access to Goodstealers. Never mind the tanks, I just wanna use the tens of stealers I have.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

The Sex Cannon posted:

I got extra of my sanctuary bases if you want a couple of those.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Evil Canadian posted:

It is my understanding you want to ally in some demons from the demon codex but I am unaware of The Good Ones.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Uroboros posted:

I got extra of my sanctuary bases if you want a couple of those.

I think SRM and I are gonna meet up next week, so I'm gonna work it out with him. Thanks, though!

I finished Yarrick yesterday, and I'll post pictures tonight. He's a very cool model and I'm excited about how he turned out.

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.

SRM posted:

My gaming group is unfortunately getting kicked out of our space in Watertown and we're trying to find another space in the Boston area to game. We've got a definite candidate in a sci-fi club in Somerville (I'm biased as it's in my hood and there's a great pub right next door) but we don't have storage space there so we'd have to bring our own terrain, which is kind of a pain in the rear end. While I won't miss gaming above the most depressing bar in the world, it was nice that we had storage space there for all our stuff.

I just heard this from Ian - lame. No storage is a wrinkle, especially for the table tops. Let me know how it goes, if it shifts up towards us I am super interested in gaming during the week again, I just couldn't make that crazy drive.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Milotic posted:

Landraiders are very expensive points wise. Daemon Princes can be good, but you need to protect them with a screen. Things which I think are good (subjective)

Obliterators. Don't bother with Havocs (unless you really need Skyfire which you have from the Heldrake). Models are ugly and a nightmare to assemble so feel free to proxy terminators or use third party models.
Helbrutes. Have 4 attacks now so not terrible.
Defilers - expensive points wise but very flexible.
Spawn with mark of Nurgle. Fast and tough, make for great screens for your warlord
Lord on a bike. Stick him with the Spawn.
Cultists - they're fluffy and there are these things called formations which can make them fearless or give zealot or let them replenish their numbers. Great for blunting assaults by Death Stars.

You could look into Khorne Daemonkin which is a different codex but is very fun and very good and uses a lot of the same models. It fixes a lot of the problems with CSM.

Oh I had no idea Khorne is its own army now I will have a look in on that. Thanks for the advice on the units I will look into them.

mango sentinel posted:

It is my understanding you want to ally in some demons from the demon codex but I am unaware of The Good Ones.

So now with Battle Brother status, you can effectively mix and match CSM/Daemons at will it looks like?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Evil Canadian posted:

So now with Battle Brother status, you can effectively mix and match CSM/Daemons at will it looks like?

No, you still need to bring an Allied detachment which is
1 HQ
1 Troop
1 Elite
1 FA
1 HS

but they dont have to stay x-inches away from each other without becoming retarded. I think you can also just bring in an allied formation as well.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

LumberingTroll posted:

No, you still need to bring an Allied detachment which is
1 HQ
1 Troop
1 Elite
1 FA
1 HS

but they dont have to stay x-inches away from each other without becoming retarded. I think you can also just bring in an allied formation as well.

An Allied detachment is actually:

1 HQ
1-2 Troops
0-1 Elite
0-1 Fast Attach
0-1 Heavy Support

For Chaos Daemons you can get away with some very basic builds that really add a lot of flavor and flexibility into a Chaos Space Marine list. Lumbering Troll is correct that Formations from the Chaos Daemons codex can also be added into your army list, but most serve very specific purposes and might not fit your plans.

Allying in Chaos Daemons is also a nice way to get around the Warp Storm table, which I personally find fun but it can be very frustrating on occasion. Note that you can still force your army to use the CD special rules if you select a Character or Independent Character from their detachment as your Warlord, but it's much less likely if it's a small list.

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 27, 2016

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
So Cults will be Allies of Convenience with Guard and since Purestrain Genestealers have infiltrate can set up on the first turn using the ambush roll, possibly letting you deploy 3" from any unit on the board and assault first turn. Or, deploy 6" from any unit and run in the movement phase to set up a charge on turn 2.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

So Cults will be Allies of Convenience with Guard and since Purestrain Genestealers have infiltrate can set up on the first turn using the ambush roll, possibly letting you deploy 3" from any unit on the board and assault first turn. Or, deploy 6" from any unit and run in the movement phase to set up a charge on turn 2.

I like the idea of pairing the cult with a deathstrike missile. The cult's doomsday weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Hey they actually made a new mini-faction that doesn't suck. Like you can actually run them on their own and they aren't awful. Sorry Harlequins, sorry Deathwatch.

pros: Goliaths own, Genestealers own, etc
cons: lacking fire support, notably in anti-air. gets totally wrecked by any significant air force

• Locked thread