Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

JackMann posted:

Aniodia, Reaper Marine Teal might work.

Okay, I'm painting up a Stormraven Gunship. Someone said it looked a bit like Bastion's head from Overwatch, so I'm doing it in Bastion's colors. Here are some pictures as is, after basecoating it with the airbrush:

Here's a picture of Bastion:

Here's a mock-up of how I'm thinking about painting it up from here:

Areas circled are going to be painted that color. Black represents gunmetal.

Any thoughts on it before I start prepping it for further paint?

^^^
That is going to look sweet! (Personally I'd have painted the pilot like Ganymede but that's just me.)

I'm organizing my painting supplies and I came up with a list of the paints that I have because I'm going to be picking up a bottle or two at paint night at the FLGS every week. Is there any glaring omission in my list you'd recommend I pick up first?

70.951 White Model Color
70.918 Ivory Model Color
70.948 Golden Yellow Model Color
70.927 Dark Flesh Model Color
70.845 Sunny Skin Tone Model Color
70.926 Red Model Color
70.958 Pink Model Color
70.960 Violet Model Color
70.925 Blue Model Color
70.891 Intermediate Green Model Color
70.827 Lime Green Model Color
70.914 Green Ochre Model Color
70.976 Buff Model Color
70.846 Mahogany Brown Model Color
70.993 White Grey Model Color
70.992 Neutral Grey Model Color
70.997 Silver Model Color
70.878 Old Gold Model Color
70.801 Brass Model Color
70.999 Copper Model Color
70.864 Natural Steel Model Color
70.800 Gunmetal Blue Model Color
70.524 Thinner Model Color
72.004 Elf Skintone Game Color
72.006 Sun Yellow Game Color
72.009 Hot Orange Game Color
72.010 Bloody Red Game Color
72.012 Scarlet Red Game Color
72.015 Hexed Lichen Game Color
72.021 Magic Blue Game Color
72.024 Turquoise Game Color
72.036 Bronze Fleshtone Game Color
72.042 Parasite Brown Game Color
72.043 Beasty Brown Game Color
72.044 Dark Fleshtone Game Color
72.051 Black Game Color
72.104 Fluo Green Game Color
72.140 Heavy Skintone Game Color
Nuln oil, the blue, green, and red glazes from citadel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L0VE
May 3, 2010
Began cleaning up the skin on my ogre. Tried increasing the highlights since the glazing lost me some of the contrast I had before.

Pretty happy so far but stuff looks pretty bad so zoomed in. This photo is more representative of what he looks like from afar.

Thinking about painting his trousers a dark green but I'm open to suggestions since I'm bad at colour theory!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

8one6 posted:

I'm organizing my painting supplies and I came up with a list of the paints that I have because I'm going to be picking up a bottle or two at paint night at the FLGS every week. Is there any glaring omission in my list you'd recommend I pick up first?

You might want to swap the metallic Model Color paints for Vallejo Metal Color, which people seem to like a lot better (or Scale75 metallics, but they probably won't be in your shop). You could also grab VMC Deck Tan (for highlights/mixing) and maybe swap VMC Red for VMC Carmine Red, depending on what you're looking for (the former is a warm red and the latter is a cool red, though they're about the same brightness otherwise).

Also, here is my list of especially-good paints for people to try out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3705692&perpage=40&pagenumber=109#post451418381 (as usual, more recommendations are appreciated!)

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Avenging Dentist posted:

You might want to swap the metallic Model Color paints for Vallejo Metal Color, which people seem to like a lot better (or Scale75 metallics, but they probably won't be in your shop). You could also grab VMC Deck Tan (for highlights/mixing) and maybe swap VMC Red for VMC Carmine Red, depending on what you're looking for (the former is a warm red and the latter is a cool red, though they're about the same brightness otherwise).

Also, here is my list of especially-good paints for people to try out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3705692&perpage=40&pagenumber=109#post451418381 (as usual, more recommendations are appreciated!)

Awesome, thanks! I'll check out the Vallejo Metal Color line and I've added some things to my "to get" list.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

WIP on the Kingdom Death Flower Knights. Going for Autumnal colours. The robe is done for now, and right now working on the nmm armour. Shades are done, next will be highlights before going back in to add some more shades to build the contrast and depth of colour.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I want to paint space marines and tyranids all day, but I also want to finish my drat education which includes painting.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

dr_ether posted:

WIP on the Kingdom Death Flower Knights. Going for Autumnal colours. The robe is done for now, and right now working on the nmm armour. Shades are done, next will be highlights before going back in to add some more shades to build the contrast and depth of colour.

Looking good so far!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Cross post from the grog thread:

secretly a baby posted:

Finished the AVRE for our Op. Martlet CoC campaign, which kicks off later in October. 15mm BF resin tank.

secretly a baby posted:

Beep beep motherfuckers

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

What do goons use for oranges/reds manufacturer wise? I'm looking for a matte orange, like a mid to pale tone. I normally use VMC or S75 but I'm drawing a blank on my options.

E: Looking at them, Kalahari and Mars Orange for S75 seem quite nice, has anyone here used these?

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 26, 2016

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Anyone know where to get some ancient Greek marching figures that are 28mm or slightly bigger? Warlord has just about the size I need, but they all seem to be in fighting stances (Spears lowered, swords drawn, running, etc.)

Basically, I'm looking for the Greek equivalent of these guys. But I'm guessing they probably don't exist.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I got you fam

http://www.victrixlimited.com/collections/greek-ancients

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Flipswitch posted:

What do goons use for oranges/reds manufacturer wise? I'm looking for a matte orange, like a mid to pale tone. I normally use VMC or S75 but I'm drawing a blank on my options.

E: Looking at them, Kalahari and Mars Orange for S75 seem quite nice, has anyone here used these?

Mars Orange is a really good paint. I used it on my Fallen Frontiers figures for dry brushing the lightest colour on the bases.

Right current WIP on the Flower Knight for Kingdom Death. Highlights, bronze work and the sword.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

drat, I'd forgotten entirely about Victrix.

Because these http://www.victrixlimited.com/collections/cartheginians will make things much easier, actually.

I've have an elephant figure for years that is just about the right scale (probably too big, but whatever), and I'm kicking about the idea of making a Hannibal crossing the Alps diorama.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
So this isn't strictly Valhallan related, although it is for their table!

I've been bad about working on my Skullingrad table, but just today I finished working on a big centrepiece building with a hab block. I used the Pegasus gothic kit, plus a bunch of GW bits, Cities of Death short walls, some O scale resin accessories, and an old GW movement tray to put the whole thing together. Anyway, here's the finished hab block, or as I call it, Barbie's Grimdark Dreamhouse:

Roof details:

A long dead sniper:

A meter outside for the power company to read:

And some action shots for good measure:

melonfish
Apr 13, 2016

The original Dunning-Kruger test subject.
5 more acolytes in progress, not far off finished tbh.

Still lots more to go but seriously having fun with these guys.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Last WIP shots of the Kingdom Death Flower Knight.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

dr_ether posted:

Last WIP shots of the Kingdom Death Flower Knight.

God drat this is nice.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Matte sealing spray dulls out my sparkly golds making my sigmarines look a bit less cool. Is there a good option for protecting them that won't dull the gold metallics?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Are you putting gloss varnish on first? If not, that might help, especially since it might let you use less matte to get good coverage. Otherwise, the only things I know of that you can do are to try other brands of matte or just paint your highlights over the varnish and hope they won't rub off too much.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 29, 2016

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I made a Yarrick!

Still a great model. I had a ton of fun painting him.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
How risky is it to not use a sealer and, instead, aim for moving the models by their bases or some-such? Is that doomed to sadness?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

GreenMarine posted:

How risky is it to not use a sealer and, instead, aim for moving the models by their bases or some-such? Is that doomed to sadness?

It's not too bad with plastics, but I like the fact that with varnish, I don't have to worry about it (or about other nerds getting their grubby paws on my little dollies).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

GreenMarine posted:

From what I've read, the extremes are varnish like hell and who cares, they're game pieces, or on the other side you don't use varnish and you don't even use a primer because it's a display model. The middle road is just enough of a good varnish to protect but not to glaze.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GreenMarine posted:

They're plastics, so long as you aren't violently manhandling them they'll be fine. The bases are there for them to be picked up by - when I was a kid I even had a ruleset named after this practice. Unless you're using transfers, you don't need to varnish plastics at all.

The Sex Cannon posted:

I made a Yarrick!

Still a great model. I had a ton of fun painting him.

Hell yeah you did. Such a great mini.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

GreenMarine posted:

Matte sealing spray dulls out my sparkly golds making my sigmarines look a bit less cool. Is there a good option for protecting them that won't dull the gold metallics?

Use a semigloss sealer on the metallic areas, mask them off with painters tape when they dry, then do your matte spraying.

You should be putting down a semi/gloss coat first anyways, since matte sealers are very thin and more for aesthetic than actual protection.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
A couple people I know recommended using a paint on gloss over the metallics and a paint on matte over the other parts. I might give that a shot as my next test.

Here are the stormcast I'm working on. I decided to switch from the silver to a more traditional gold. I just liked the results I was getting with the gold a lot more. I used water FX on the bases to tie them into my battle board.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 29, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I said it in the mad thread, but unless you want your Sigmarines to look like they have candy paint, gloss varnish probably isn't what you want.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Avenging Dentist posted:

I said it in the mad thread, but unless you want your Sigmarines to look like they have candy paint, gloss varnish probably isn't what you want.

Hmm. There may be no good solution. Another possible alternative: matte varnish the shoulder pads (where the decals are and where I might pick them up from) and then leave the rest. Try to pick them up from the bases. For prosecutors I can probably paint matte onto the non metallic parts of the wings, since the wings tend to knock into things.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 29, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I have a quick question regarding paints: specifically Army Painter's Army Green. Is it a good Olive Drab colour? It seems like it would be but I've not really had a chance to do much comparison and I'd like to know before I grab a spray of it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I think it's actually a light pastel green, which world great for base coating WW2 US Army uniforms but will look strange on tanks.

See if you can find the ultra-flat OD green they sell at hardware / auto parts stores for hunters. I think it's labeled as Krylon special purpose ultra-flat. It's probably closer to what you want, and it'll take acrylic paint well.

E: This stuff, I recommend Olive.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 29, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

GreenMarine posted:

Hmm. There may be no good solution. Another possible alternative: matte varnish the shoulder pads (where the decals are and where I might pick them up from) and then leave the rest. Try to pick them up from the bases. For prosecutors I can probably paint matte onto the non metallic parts of the wings, since the wings tend to knock into things.

If it were me, I'd gloss then matte varnish the whole surface and do another quick highlight coat with your gold on the areas you really want to pop. Then your model is mostly-protected, but you'll still have the shininess you want. By doing it this way, you'll still have the paintjob under the varnish if the top layer of gold rubs off, so it won't look too bad (and you could always re-highlight with gold if you ever feel like it got really bad, but I doubt that would be necessary).

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Avenging Dentist posted:

If it were me, I'd gloss then matte varnish the whole surface and do another quick highlight coat with your gold on the areas you really want to pop. Then your model is mostly-protected, but you'll still have the shininess you want. By doing it this way, you'll still have the paintjob under the varnish if the top layer of gold rubs off, so it won't look too bad (and you could always re-highlight with gold if you ever feel like it got really bad, but I doubt that would be necessary).

This is the best way to do it, or do a satin varnish if you can find one. Also they're plastic so I don't think they need to be sealed in the first place unless children are throwing them around.

I just recently finished the last 5 Stormtroopers to round out my Ground Assault Formation. Unfortunately I lost the gold recipe so they're slightly different than the other 30, but they should blend in well enough:

And here's the whole Ground Assault Formation! I've been running it for a while, but now it's at maximum strength:

Command:

Plasma team:

Melta team:

Flamer team:

Trucks:

And with that, my Stormtrooper project is done!

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Not exactly the best pics due to camera phone (lighting + shakiness) but what do you guys think?

Does the 3 color camo on my 2S1 look good? Does the basing look good for my infantry?

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 30, 2016

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Phi230 posted:

what do you guys think?
I think you need to timg that poo poo.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
gently caress yeah HOTAS!

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished Kingdom Death Flower Knight.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
That's really cool. I've always liked that model.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
That's loving gorgeous dude. I wish they're range was more of that and less titty rapemonsters.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

SRM posted:

That's loving gorgeous dude. I wish they're range was more of that and less titty rapemonsters.

The vast majority of the models are not "titty rapemonsters". The models that fall into that category are the Wet Nurse (which I own and have painted), and perhaps the Lion God. Given I have the game, and a good number of the expansions, there is indeed body horror, but rape monsters, nay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Painted this fun little sculpt last week- Swamp Gobber Chef from Hordes.