Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

kizudarake posted:

Counterspells.

Assuming this is modern, they don't have any counterspells they can play before they drop a land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

4 battle of wits and 250 lands.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It makes no sense that Shaharazad is banned in Vintage. The card is bad to begin with and your opponent can just concede the subgame if time is an issue. Sensei's Divining Top probably wastes dramatically more time than Shaharazad would.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

Assuming this is modern, they don't have any counterspells they can play before they drop a land.

Pact works, so does Gemstone mine. Belcher is also very quickly nonsense, even if you do some sensible stuff to count the libraries together for things apart from drawing.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Allstone posted:

Pact works, so does Gemstone mine. Belcher is also very quickly nonsense, even if you do some sensible stuff to count the libraries together for things apart from drawing.

If they pact my spell, then I just pass the turn.

Angry Grimace posted:

It makes no sense that Shaharazad is banned in Vintage. The card is bad to begin with and your opponent can just concede the subgame if time is an issue. Sensei's Divining Top probably wastes dramatically more time than Shaharazad would.

Shaharazad is not a bad card. It enabled some very fast wins. But, yes, it should be unbanned.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 26, 2016

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is you need an extra table for each subgame. It's not a timing issue, it's a space issue.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Star Man posted:

Pile shuffling is a superstitious ritual and I participate in it daily. Just like masturbation.

Your store is a lot more permissive than mine.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Attorney at Funk posted:

Your store is a lot more permissive than mine.

This is what happens when they stop printing good permission control

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Also, could you imagine how annoying people would be if shaharazad was legal at the same time that inception was a thing.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

instantrunoffvote posted:

The problem is you need an extra table for each subgame. It's not a timing issue, it's a space issue.

That doesn't seem like a big enough deal to keep the card banned in the format of "no banned cards." The card can be restricted to prevent it from happening often and very few Vintage tournaments exist anyways.

It isn't like Vintage Dredge doesn't have space concerns, too.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

ShaneB posted:

Can't wait to call JUDGE! if my opponent attempts to pile shuffle more than once between games. (I will actually try to politely tell them that they shouldn't do that because it's against the rules now).

Although pile shuffle people will do it after mulliganning, of course, and between every game.

The "as a count" is the key here. I intend to ask every player I see piling post-mulligan as a judge why they're piling.

Gonna give out so many slow play warnings it's gonna be great

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I have never seen someone pile shuffle more than once in a row. What kind of monsters do you people play with?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Suggest to them force of will or hearthstone because that's what they are. It works fine in those games.

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, but I think it's such a fundamental change in deck construction that at this point it can't work in Magic.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Dr. Stab posted:

Disrupting shoal isn't modern legal?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Elyv posted:

I don't think it's necessarily a bad idea, but I think it's such a fundamental change in deck construction that at this point it can't work in Magic.

That's what I mean. The cards in the other games have to be designed over that mechanic being a core part of gameplay.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lawnie posted:

I would really like to be able to play pauper casually but still be competitive without playing drake combo. I have played 0 games of pauper since EM purely because of that single legal card :negative:

Same except I've played a few matches. Lost them all to Peregrine Drake. I'm considering completely selling out of MTGO at this point if they still haven't done anything about it. They've already admitted they made a huge mistake, and it's what? 30-something% of the meta? Why not fix it?

Angry Grimace posted:

That doesn't seem like a big enough deal to keep the card banned in the format of "no banned cards." The card can be restricted to prevent it from happening often and very few Vintage tournaments exist anyways.

It isn't like Vintage Dredge doesn't have space concerns, too.

"This thing that will completely screw up a tournament without adding anything to the format would only happen occasionally so it's fine."

How do you even resolve it? Move the game to the other side of the room, leaving part of your $10k+ deck and hoping nobody else messes with or steals it? It's not like you can just have a judge sit there until you get back.

Dredge doesn't take up 2 tables.

suicidesteve posted:

Besides obviously not Gush.

Nailed it. Modern, vintage, and pauper continue to be miserable for the foreseeable future.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

"This thing that will completely screw up a tournament without adding anything to the format would only happen occasionally so it's fine."

How do you even resolve it? Move the game to the other side of the room, leaving part of your $10k+ deck and hoping nobody else messes with or steals it? It's not like you can just have a judge sit there until you get back.

Dredge doesn't take up 2 tables.

Your first quote is bad because it is Vintage - it is literally the format in which you are supposed to be able to play every Magic card.

You resolve it by either saying "I concede the subgame" or making some loving space, or, don't play Shaharazad because its bad.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 26, 2016

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Is chaos orb still banned?

If so, there's the goofy motherfucker of a card we should be crusading for

E: force modo to include a physics engine for two cards

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GeneX posted:

Kill yourself and don't start this argument again, in either order

Somebody is triggered i see. Dont worry at this rate eventually they will print a 2 mana creature with good stats with some kind of counter attached to it. Sadly it will be green most likely and you probably wont be able to spend most of your turn interacting with your opponent by looking through your deck and drawing cards in standard anymore.

Pile shuffle change is good. They should probably add a thing about minimum riffles too.

While Drake in Pauper isnt As Bad as some broken rear end decks when it comes to meta game share. Its basically like Wizards saying they are okay with CoCo dominating standard at its current rate forever. Drake and Delver need a banning.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

making some loving space

Have you ever been to a major tournament?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

anglachel posted:

Pile shuffle change is good. They should probably add a thing about minimum riffles too.

The chances that we start insisting on riffles in this very expensive card game are nil.

We have a penalty for Insufficient Shuffling and I reckon most judges know what it roughly means.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I understand that Wizards probably don't understand Pauper enough to know that they should ban Delver. I don't understand how Peregrine Drake is still legal. It's better than Cloud of Faeries for comboing.

instantrunoffvote posted:

Space and time are linked, that's just science.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Imagine four subgames on the edge of a cliff

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

anglachel posted:

Yes, lets try and make people riffle shuffle someone else's double sleeved deck. Sound advice.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

little munchkin posted:

Have you ever been to a major tournament?

Have you ever been to a major Vintage tournament? The answer is probably no, and the reason why is because there's like 1 per year, and nobody is gonna show up to a loving Vintage tournament to grief other players off a single copy of Shaharazad.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 26, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I can't help but think there's a reasonable shot he's being serious.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

Yes, lets try and make people riffle shuffle someone else's double sleeved deck. Sound advice.

The only redeeming factor for playing this last round of standard was I felt free to riffle shuffle my double sleeved standard deck, since all the valuable stuff was either Collected Companies that I were going to keep for modern, or a bunch of flip cards. Checklist cards are great, I can shuffle however I want!

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Sickening posted:

I meant riffle or mash. But phone posting :(

A little. "7 mashes or riffles will be considered randomized" would be nice. The little overhand shuffle should be banned i think.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Have you ever been to a major Vintage tournament? The answer is probably no, and the reason why is because there's like 1 per year, and nobody is gonna show up to a loving Vintage tournament to grief other players off a single copy of Shaharazad.

If your contention is that nobody will play it, why do you even want it unbanned?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Nailed it. Modern, vintage, and pauper continue to be miserable for the foreseeable future.

What would you have liked to have seen changed in order to make Modern not miserable for you?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Someone went to the Vintage world championships with a deck consisting of nothing but lands and variants on the card Grizzly Bears. I could definitely imagine someone bringing it to troll, and if they did it would cause legitimate logistical issues.

e: for the record they managed to win one game, ironically vs a Hatebears deck.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 26, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShaneB posted:

What would you have liked to have seen changed in order to make Modern not miserable for you?

Let's not do this stupid argument again.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Let's not do this stupid argument again.

You are the one who started it, though. Saying [format] is miserable as a blanket truth is kinda dumb.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Someone went to the Vintage world championships with a deck consisting of nothing but lands and variants on the card Grizzly Bears. I could definitely imagine someone bringing it to troll, and if they did it would cause legitimate logistical issues.

Shaharazad would still be restricted because there ARE degenerate combos if you have multiple copies (e.g. if you could cast Shaharazad in a subgame).

As a general principle the card isn't really worth including in an otherwise normal Vintage deck, and playing a deck that is laser-focused on resolving Shaharazad isn't likely to be particularly great against a field of ultra-powerful Vintage decks. Not to mention opponents can simply avoid the troll by conceding the subgame - playing Shaharazad and then chaining Snapcaster Mages to play it again is probably orders of magnitude less powerful than just playing a regular game of Vintage.

It does a quirky thing, but its not actually degenerate or broken as a singleton.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 26, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Angry Grimace posted:

Shaharazad would still be restricted because there ARE degenerate combos if you have multiple copies (e.g. if you could cast Shaharazad in a subgame).

As a general principle the card isn't really worth including in an otherwise normal Vintage deck, and playing a deck that is laser-focused on resolving Shaharazad isn't likely to be particularly great against a field of ultra-powerful Vintage decks. Not to mention opponents can simply avoid the troll by conceding the subgame - playing Shaharazad and then chaining Snapcaster Mages to play it again is probably orders of magnitude less powerful than just playing a regular game of Vintage.

It does a quirky thing, but its not actually degenerate or broken as a singleton.

"there's no extra table space so uh why don't you just concede the subgame?"
"no, you concede"

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShaneB posted:

You are the one who started it, though. Saying [format] is miserable as a blanket truth is kinda dumb.

Yes and we've all had this argument about why it's an awful/great format 3 times in the last month. So let's not do it again.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of shuffling, have you ever seen the little... I don't even know how to describe it other than "deck spanking" thing YuGiOh players do? Their cards are made out of flimsy toilet paper and they've collectively decided that their cards are made worthless if there's even the slightest bit of wear on them. So they've invented this bizarre method of "shuffling" where they rapidly take a portion of their deck and slap it against the other portion over and over. It looks really easy to make it appear as though you're doing something when you're actually keeping the cards in the exact same spot. If the kid I saw at the prerelease was playing when I was judging, I would have told him to shuffle normally.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

Yes and we've all had this argument about why it's an awful/great format 3 times in the last month. So let's not do it again.

Stop bringing it up if you don't want to talk about it?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Angry Grimace posted:

It's logistically maddening and an insane time sink, so no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Does anyone have the image with the trip report for this? It deserves to be read.

• Locked thread