Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

slorb posted:

australian distribution grids are built to an almost european standard instead of being run on a shoestring like in america.

Hey now, shoe string becomes conductive at 500kV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:eyepop:

Published September, 1916.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah so it was the oak panelling that was making storage batteries prohibitively expensive this whole time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Ah so it was the oak panelling that was making storage batteries prohibitively expensive this whole time.

Also you have to pay a guy to watch the batteries all day, lest they escape

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fun fact: During the cold war, west Berlin used to have the biggest lead-acid battery plant for energy storage in the world. It was something like 10k car batteries wired together ghetto style and designed to stabilize their tiny electric grid from communists electron agitators.

Ultra fun fact: that copper solar cell in the picture can probably provide enough power to run an entire alarm clock at full display brightness from 11am to 3pm.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

waitwhatno posted:

Ultra fun fact: that copper solar cell in the picture can probably provide enough power to run an entire alarm clock at full display brightness from 11am to 3pm.

It was still some serious dark magic in 1916.

quote:

In 1887, Heinrich Hertz discovered that electrodes illuminated with ultraviolet light create electric sparks more easily. In 1905 Albert Einstein published a paper that explained experimental data from the photoelectric effect as the result of light energy being carried in discrete quantized packets. This discovery led to the quantum revolution. In 1914, Robert Millikan's experiment confirmed Einstein's law on photoelectric effect. Einstein was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1921 for "his discovery of the law of the photoelectric effect", and Millikan was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1923 for "his work on the elementary charge of electricity and on the photoelectric effect".

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

waitwhatno posted:

Fun fact: During the cold war, west Berlin used to have the biggest lead-acid battery plant for energy storage in the world. It was something like 10k car batteries wired together ghetto style and designed to stabilize their tiny electric grid from communists electron agitators.

Do you have a link with more information?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I said I was worried about "communist electron agitators" they'd lock me up.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

waitwhatno posted:

It was a 14MWh lead-acid system, company that made it also fabricated batteries for submarines, it operated between 1986 and 1994. After the wall came down West Berlin wasn't such an island and the planned replacements weren't needed. When it was installed it was the largest in the world, but it was surpassed before it went out of service; there was one built to stabilize the grid in southern California that was 40MWh but it didn't have the power output to do much in the way of stabilization and was mostly used for compensation.

A 100MW, 400MWh Li+ array is being built in California right now:

http://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/The-Worlds-Biggest-Battery-is-Being-Built-in-Southern-California

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

If I said I was worried about "communist electron agitators" they'd lock me up.

Thanks Obama :argh:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Senor P. posted:

So... nuclear question....

Right now which commercial power reactor design is the 'newest' that is currently operating?

I know Korea has the APR 1400 but I don't know how 'new' it is compared to say the Russian designs floating around...

AP1000 still not connected to the grid in China.
EPR still under construction
ABWR - operating in Japan and Taiwan I think...
ESBWR - none built yet

Several ABWRs are operational, mostly in Japan. South Korea has one APR-1400 operating in SK, and I think ~6-7 more under construction about split betweek SK and UEA. Given the way things are going, there is a good chance that these other APR1400s will enter production in a reasonably short time frame without too many problems.

Like someone else mentioned, the fast breeder at Beloyarsk entered commercial service a couple months ago, but I am doubtful that this design or any like it will see widespread adoption outside Russia or its immediate sphere of influence. China might buy one.

For Gen III+, none are in operation yet. The EPR at Olkiluoto 3 in Finland was (I believe) the first Gen III+ reactor to begin construction, now 11 years ago (Jesus Christ), but that project has been such an unholy clusterfuck that by now I think several sites that broke ground years later are expected to start production sooner. The EPR being built in France is similarly behind schedule. The AP1000 at Sanmen NPP in China is expected to enter service next year, and probably will. The EPRs at Taishan 1 & 2 are also supposed to be operational next year (before Olkiuoto or Flamanville get their poo poo together), but hey its Areva so who the gently caress knows.

Other than the EPR and AP1000, I don't think there are any serious plans for other Gen III+ reactors. There is a good chance an APR+ will be built before any of the older Gen III+ designs that aren't EPR or AP1000. I would not even completely discount an APR+ being operational before Olkiluoto 3...

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

joat mon posted:

Do you have a link with more information?

I found something about it on the German wikipedia and it provides this UNESCO report as a source (look for the section about the BEWAG system)

http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0009/000916/091670eo.pdf

They used 7080 batteries, which (when fully charged) could provide 17MW of power to the Berlin grid. Back then it was apparently enough power and had enough capacity to keep all of west Berlin going for ~20 min. After the reunification the plant was dismantled and is now used as an energy museum.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

slorb posted:

australian distribution grids are built to an almost european standard instead of being run on a shoestring like in america.

Hmm, about that:
https://twitter.com/SAPowerNetworks/status/781024594949967873
https://twitter.com/SAPowerNetworks/status/781139848564383749

Is it European standard to have power go out to a million square kilometers of land and 1.7 million people for extended periods?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Don't forget, outages are impossible

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

fishmech posted:

a million square kilometers of land and 1.7 million people

Wow that country is empty.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010
Australia is huge and its population is modest at 20 mil and is super concentrated in major coastal cities. In the example above there are very very few people living in those areas.

In europe for example if a piece of infrastructure fails its typically possible to reroute the power via alternate routes that serve other population centers. This often isn't possible in Australia.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BattleMoose posted:

Australia is huge and its population is modest at 20 mil and is super concentrated in major coastal cities. In the example above there are very very few people living in those areas.

In europe for example if a piece of infrastructure fails its typically possible to reroute the power via alternate routes that serve other population centers. This often isn't possible in Australia.

The entire state was out, they've only just started restoring power to the most populated areas.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

fishmech posted:

The entire state was out, they've only just started restoring power to the most populated areas.

Oh wow, didn't realise this was happening *now*.

But extraordinary events like this happen in Europe and the USA too.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_major_power_outages

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

fishmech posted:

Yeah there was a *massive* storm that damaged big transmission lines.

https://twitter.com/paulkidd/status/781103870114050048 

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

NPR Journalizard posted:

Yeah there was a *massive* storm that damaged big transmission lines.

https://twitter.com/paulkidd/status/781103870114050048 

These politicians keep using so called "regulation" to force systems to do things they weren't designed for. Clear legislative overreach and they need to stop ruining my free markets.

slorb
May 14, 2002

fishmech posted:

Hmm, about that:
https://twitter.com/SAPowerNetworks/status/781024594949967873
https://twitter.com/SAPowerNetworks/status/781139848564383749

Is it European standard to have power go out to a million square kilometers of land and 1.7 million people for extended periods?

South Australia is a special case, in that they have extremely high levels of intermittent renewable generation and no regulatory mechanism to ensure local spinning reserve. This risk would have been communicated to the politicians when they let all the local baseload supply mothball itself for economic reasons but I doubt they really understood it. The South Australian grid is entirely privatised so there's no way the operator will spend money without a regulator mandate.

The people who built the system aren't entirely negligent, they had duplicate connections to the Victorian grid each capable of maintaining system stability and supplying the state. Then a 50 year storm flattened one of them while the other was out of service being upgraded to increase its capacity.

BattleMoose
Jun 16, 2010

slorb posted:

South Australia is a special case, in that they have extremely high levels of intermittent renewable generation and no regulatory mechanism to ensure local spinning reserve. This risk would have been communicated to the politicians when they let all the local baseload supply mothball itself for economic reasons but I doubt they really understood it. The South Australian grid is entirely privatised so there's no way the operator will spend money without a regulator mandate.

The people who built the system aren't entirely negligent, they had duplicate connections to the Victorian grid each capable of maintaining system stability and supplying the state. Then a 50 year storm flattened one of them while the other was out of service being upgraded to increase its capacity.

I was really wondering about this and figured I wasn't ever going to get anything close to the truth from traditional news sources.

Those pics of those transmission lines that went down, was that just the transmission link between South Australia and Victoria? Presumably the transmission lines within SA were also damaged? If they had had a few extra base load generators, would they have been able to maintain their grid? I know these are a lot of questions and the electricity supply in SA appears to me to be a disaster waiting to happen but I cannot figure out if this disaster was *just* because of the storm or also a combination of not enough base load?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BattleMoose posted:

I was really wondering about this and figured I wasn't ever going to get anything close to the truth from traditional news sources.

Those pics of those transmission lines that went down, was that just the transmission link between South Australia and Victoria? Presumably the transmission lines within SA were also damaged? If they had had a few extra base load generators, would they have been able to maintain their grid? I know these are a lot of questions and the electricity supply in SA appears to me to be a disaster waiting to happen but I cannot figure out if this disaster was *just* because of the storm or also a combination of not enough base load?

Pretty much all the credible sources I have seen said renewables had no impact on the blackout.

quote:

Weatherill said the blackout would have happened even if South Australia had its own coal-fired electricity generation.

Fran Kelly on Radio National asked: “If we had coal-fired power generation in South Australia would you have been able to switch to that? Was there enough transmission infrastructure up and running for that to have kept the state’s lights on?”

Weatherill replied: “No.”

Kelly: “So nothing would have been able to be transmitted no matter how much power was being generated in South Australia?”

Weatherill: “That’s right. See there’s a misunderstanding that there’s no baseload power. The baseload power was operating in South Australia at the time this event occurred.

“If this had happened 20 years ago when there was no renewable energy the same thing would have happened. That’s the advice we’ve received from the Australian energy market operator.

“This is a weather event, not a renewable energy event.”

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/sep/29/jay-weatherill-accuses-barnaby-joyce-of-pushing-anti-windfarm-agenda-over-blackouts

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Pretty much all the credible sources I have seen said renewables had no impact on the blackout.
Yep

https://theconversation.com/what-caused-south-australias-state-wide-blackout-66268

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What about all them wind turbines.

Maybe if weather is bad they should stop making all that wind?!!?

kaptkobe
Mar 29, 2015
The problem with losing your only tie to the rest of the grid is the droop setting on the remaining generators in your island, no base loaded resources to meet demand = no frequency = all gen trips offline at around 48 hz (58.3 North America) if you can't get one gen in isochronous setting to meet frequency response all is lost in that island.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Didn't realize lithium-ion batteries had such a sordid mining process.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/batteries/congo-cobalt-mining-for-lithium-ion-battery/

Apparently mining for cobalt, a required component in lithium-ion batteries, is pretty awful and will someday soon make a thoroughly depressing documentary.

Would a concept such as the powerwall be fiscally reliant on what effectively amounts to slave labor?

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Pander posted:

Would a concept such as the powerwall be fiscally reliant on what effectively amounts to slave labor?

Powerwall is fiscally reliant on people buying it in spite of it costing them money.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Pander posted:

Didn't realize lithium-ion batteries had such a sordid mining process.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/business/batteries/congo-cobalt-mining-for-lithium-ion-battery/

Apparently mining for cobalt, a required component in lithium-ion batteries, is pretty awful and will someday soon make a thoroughly depressing documentary.

The Powerwall is made from lithium-ion batteries, so it's just like everything else that uses them.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Which part of "Billions in the third world will suffer" was unclear?

I thought for a moment this was the climate change thread, but the question stands.

slorb
May 14, 2002
http://aemo.com.au/Media-Centre/-/media/BE174B1732CB4B3ABB74BD507664B270.ashx

The preliminary report into the South Australian blackout is out, and it's worth reading. They lost the main interconnector on overcurrent after a few 275kv lines tripped out and the wind generators dropped offline so fast after that the load shedding scheme couldn't cope.

Restoration also got delayed a couple hours because their contracted black start generation provider failed to black start a gas unit.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Forbes talks electric vehicles: Battery Cost Plunge Seen Changing Automakers Most in 100 Years

Forbes posted:

Plunging battery costs will drive the auto industry’s biggest change in more than a century, enabling a boom by 2030 in technologies from self-driving electric cars to ride-sharing applications.
The price of lithium-ion battery packs for electric cars has fallen 65 percent since 2010 and is likely to keep declining, according to a report by Bloomberg New Energy Finance and McKinsey & Co. Consumers may appreciate the biggest impact in the form of cheaper costs for taxis, including substantial reductions for ones run by machines.

“Vehicles and the way they are used will change more in the next two decades than they have in the last 100 years,” said Colin McKerracher, head of advanced transport at BNEF, which will discuss the issue at its conference in London on Tuesday. “The impact on cities will be particularly profound.”

Driving the trend are cheaper batteries, which are the biggest cost in electric cars, along with rapidly improving computer technology that will make self-driving cars a reality on roads within the next decade. Changes already are starting to feed through in the form of an investment boom in ride-hailing applications such as Uber Technologies Inc. and the mushrooming of software developers that will link electric cars to utilities and payment systems.

Those trends will reduce the cost of running a taxi driven by a human by 3.1 percent to $2.76 a mile driven by 2025, according to the report. Self-driving taxis may be as cheap as 67 cents a mile to operate. The study counted in the total cost of owning the vehicle, driver’s pay and allowances for overhead and returns for investors.

BNEF estimated that battery costs dropped to $350 a kilowatt-hour last year from $1,000 in 2010. That boosted electric car sales to 448,000 last year from 52,000 six years ago -- and those figures are on track to hit a record 647,000 this year.

The report estimated $11.3 billion was invested in ride-hailing last year, more than double the 2014 level. The result is that automakers including Tesla Motors Inc., Volkswagen AG and General Motors Co. are looking toward reducing battery prices further as a crucial part of their future strategy, and software companies like Google are experimenting on cars that pilot themselves.

The changes will reshape the auto industry, tilting the need for investment away from developing engines and toward perfecting software that drives cars and links them to the web for managing payment and navigation, McKinsey said. Power companies could benefit from a 3 percent increase in electricity demand in the next 15 years, it said.

“We will see emergence of new business models and service opportunities,” said Surya Ramkumar, a partner at McKinsey who co-leads the consultant’s future of mobility initiative. “As connectivity and autonomy increase, so does the need for sensors and software.”

Battery and hybrid vehicles on the world’s roads may displace as many as 13 million barrels of oil a day by 2040, BNEF forecast this year in a separate report. The costs of lithium-ion batteries, which typically make up about 40 percent of an electric car’s value, may fall by 16 percent to 20 percent with each cumulative doubling of the vehicles’ manufacture, according to the report.

“The coming decade will be a once-in-a-decade opportunity for automotive players,” said Stefan Knupfer, a partner at McKinsey’s sustainability and resources productivity practice.

13 million bbl/day is presently equivalent to the oil consumption of China. Global consumption is 93 million bbl/day so it's not like it'll solve climate change or anything but if the projections hold up it's not too shabby. It'll be interesting to see how the grid handles it and if it'll be a benefit to renewables.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SolarReserve has announced plans for a 10 tower 1.5-2GW CSP plant with overnight molten salt storage in Nevada USA. They had previously stopped planning projects in the US due to market conditions, but looks like they are more hopeful for the future. They already have massive plans elsewhere, but this is important if CSP can compete in the US where natural gas competes directly and cheaply.

http://reviewjournal.com/business/energy/developer-huge-solar-array-near-tonopah-wants-build-10-more

quote:

A California-based energy company announced plans Tuesday to build the world’s largest solar project in Nevada, a $5 billion endeavor involving at least 100,000 mirrors and 10 towers as tall as any building in the state.

SolarReserve’s Sandstone project would include up to 10 concentrated solar arrays, each equipped with a molten salt system capable of storing the sun’s energy to generate power after dark, CEO Kevin Smith said.

The company already has built one such array, the 110-megawatt Crescent Dunes Solar Energy Plant, on 1,600 acres of federal land outside of Tonopah, 225 miles northwest of Las Vegas. The $1 billion array began delivering power to NV Energy late last year.

Smith said project Sandstone would generate between 1,500 and 2,000 megawatts, enough to supply about a million homes. That’s on par with a nuclear power plant or the Hoover Dam and far bigger than any of the world’s existing solar facilities.

“It’s a big project. It’s an ambitious project,” he said.

Smith expects to be able to announce a roughly 16,000-acre site for the new project within the next six to nine months. He said company officials have looked at about a dozen locations over the past year and narrowed the list to two, both on federal land in Nye County.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
This article seems to be making the rounds:

Oak Ridge National Laboratory posted:

Nano-spike catalysts convert carbon dioxide directly into ethanol

OAK RIDGE, Tenn., Oct. 12, 2016—In a new twist to waste-to-fuel technology, scientists at the Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory have developed an electrochemical process that uses tiny spikes of carbon and copper to turn carbon dioxide, a greenhouse gas, into ethanol. Their finding, which involves nanofabrication and catalysis science, was serendipitous.

“We discovered somewhat by accident that this material worked,” said ORNL’s Adam Rondinone, lead author of the team’s study published in ChemistrySelect. “We were trying to study the first step of a proposed reaction when we realized that the catalyst was doing the entire reaction on its own.”

The team used a catalyst made of carbon, copper and nitrogen and applied voltage to trigger a complicated chemical reaction that essentially reverses the combustion process. With the help of the nanotechnology-based catalyst which contains multiple reaction sites, the solution of carbon dioxide dissolved in water turned into ethanol with a yield of 63 percent. Typically, this type of electrochemical reaction results in a mix of several different products in small amounts.

“We’re taking carbon dioxide, a waste product of combustion, and we’re pushing that combustion reaction backwards with very high selectivity to a useful fuel,” Rondinone said. “Ethanol was a surprise -- it’s extremely difficult to go straight from carbon dioxide to ethanol with a single catalyst.”

The catalyst’s novelty lies in its nanoscale structure, consisting of copper nanoparticles embedded in carbon spikes. This nano-texturing approach avoids the use of expensive or rare metals such as platinum that limit the economic viability of many catalysts.

“By using common materials, but arranging them with nanotechnology, we figured out how to limit the side reactions and end up with the one thing that we want,” Rondinone said.

The researchers’ initial analysis suggests that the spiky textured surface of the catalysts provides ample reactive sites to facilitate the carbon dioxide-to-ethanol conversion.

“They are like 50-nanometer lightning rods that concentrate electrochemical reactivity at the tip of the spike,” Rondinone said.

Given the technique’s reliance on low-cost materials and an ability to operate at room temperature in water, the researchers believe the approach could be scaled up for industrially relevant applications. For instance, the process could be used to store excess electricity generated from variable power sources such as wind and solar.

“A process like this would allow you to consume extra electricity when it’s available to make and store as ethanol,” Rondinone said. “This could help to balance a grid supplied by intermittent renewable sources.”

The researchers plan to refine their approach to improve the overall production rate and further study the catalyst’s properties and behavior.

ORNL’s Yang Song, Rui Peng, Dale Hensley, Peter Bonnesen, Liangbo Liang, Zili Wu, Harry Meyer III, Miaofang Chi, Cheng Ma, Bobby Sumpter and Adam Rondinone are coauthors on the study, which is published as “High-Selectivity Electrochemical Conversion of CO2 to Ethanol using a Copper Nanoparticle/N-Doped Graphene Electrode.”

The work was supported by DOE’s Office of Science and used resources at the ORNL’s Center for Nanophase Materials Sciences, which is a DOE Office of Science User Facility.

UT-Battelle manages ORNL for the DOE's Office of Science. The Office of Science is the single largest supporter of basic research in the physical sciences in the United States, and is working to address some of the most pressing challenges of our time. For more information, please visit http://science.energy.gov/.

No rare metals involved, and taking place at room-temperature.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

But what's the energy intensity?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I haven't looked into any of this beyond what you posted yet due to work, but that sounds pretty cool. Even more useful than hydrolysis.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Is not global warming, is vodka now.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Ethanol would be a pretty good way to store and transport energy. Well, now we only have to wait ten years to see how this will turn out.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Ethanol would be a pretty good way to store and transport energy. Well, now we only have to continue dying for ten years to see how this will turn out.

Did I read between the lines correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
So the US is getting in on the HVDC bandwagon with the The Plains & Eastern Clean Line. General Electric even went shopping in Europe so it can get done right and proper :jerkbag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGmAt1eTKMw
Onshore wind is cheap enough that private investors will spend $2.5 billion to move it 720 miles from Oklahoma to Tennessee. If it holds up the wind-belt in the Midwest could become a giant, if diffuse, power plant.