Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just saw the sponsored Trump filter on Snapchat.:lol:

Can you give us a screen shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GalacticAcid posted:

Can you give us a screen shot?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Lmfao thank you.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh my god

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
My one hope for tonight is that the Spin Room catches fire, killing everyone.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Agreed. It's impossible not to sound like a precious whining nerd, but Good Childhood Show becoming Bad Show makes me a little :smith:

becoming? it's been bad for almost 20 years

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

This made me giggle. Mostly because of the gif.

https://twitter.com/PortlandPolice/status/780515808963207168

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

hey, wrong thread

smg77
Apr 27, 2007
I guess it's comforting that Erick son of Erick is just as miserable as the rest of us

https://twitter.com/EWErickson/status/780515620693630976

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

dicks assassin posted:

My one hope for tonight is that the Spin Room catches fire, killing everyone.

The spin room starts spinning so fast that things are slowly sliding. Trump keeps speaking, and things start to get thrown up against the walls. The spin continues, and the room keeps going faster, liquids are starting to seperate, but trump sits at the center, pivoting slowly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

smg77 posted:

I guess it's comforting that Erick son of Erick is just as miserable as the rest of us

Jesus is wise enough not to get anywhere near this tire fire.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Glumslinger posted:

The spin room starts spinning so fast that things are slowly sliding. Trump keeps speaking, and things start to get thrown up against the walls. The spin continues, and the room keeps going faster, liquids are starting to seperate, but trump sits at the center, pivoting slowly.

"Fact checking?!" Chris Wallace spins in the door and just keeps spinning, bouncing off the furniture...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

fits my needs posted:

Were you there during the last shutdown? What did people do to cope with that?

Most people (those not absolutely 100% required to be there for emergency maintenance of operations, the poor loving bastards) stayed home, bled vacation hours to keep their pay going, and tapped their feet impatiently

I only had 20 vacation hours so for the first two days I tapped my feet impatiently then had An Episode

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 26, 2016

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Popular Thug Drink posted:

becoming? it's been bad for almost 20 years

"Hitler losing WW2 was a Good Thing"

"Losing? He lost it 70 years ago" :smugdon:

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Goatman Sacks posted:

That Fahrenthold thing is up

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...83336&tid=ss_tw

TL;DR the Trump Foundation is a tax-dodging slush fund - he has people who own him money give money to the Foundation, and then uses it for his personal benefit.

Illegal as gently caress, and it won't matter.

Joe Schmoe isn't going to care that Trump had folks pay his charity instead of him because that doesn't sound bad, it sounds like he's cutting out paperwork. It's the "Donald Trump's charity is a slushfund" thing that has actual legs, and we've already heard all that.

Also, can someone smart about taxes and stuff tell me why Donald would have to pay taxes if he got it as income and then donated the money to charity himself? Like wouldn't he just be able to deduct the donation on his taxes? I realize that charitable contribution deduction caps out at 30% or 50% of income or something, but there's no risk he's at that cap, right?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

smg77 posted:

It's nice to know the other side arzies, too.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Captures the subject matter perfectly

https://twitter.com/hunterw/status/780467219717324853

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Jackson Taus posted:

Joe Schmoe isn't going to care that Trump had folks pay his charity instead of him because that doesn't sound bad, it sounds like he's cutting out paperwork. It's the "Donald Trump's charity is a slushfund" thing that has actual legs, and we've already heard all that.

Also, can someone smart about taxes and stuff tell me why Donald would have to pay taxes if he got it as income and then donated the money to charity himself? Like wouldn't he just be able to deduct the donation on his taxes? I realize that charitable contribution deduction caps out at 30% or 50% of income or something, but there's no risk he's at that cap, right?

Wherein you posit that because you don't understand it, obviously "normal folks" wouldn't either.

But basically he redirected money owed to him to his foundation instead so he could spend the money poo poo without paying taxes for it. If he were paid the money and then donated it, he would have to pay taxes on it as income, then get a deduction then there's this important detail:

quote:

But, tax experts say, the IRS generally requires that the person who was owed the money pay income tax on it. One key factor: Did the person exercise control over where their money went? If the money was directed to a specific recipient, it generally counts as income.

“You cannot take money that you earned, that’s your income, and direct it elsewhere” without paying taxes, said Ellen Aprill, a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles. “If you do it, you have to treat it as your income, and you have to pay tax on it first.”

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 26, 2016

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Night10194 posted:

It's nice to know the other side arzies, too.

For the GOP it's called a moment of clarity.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Wherein you posit that because you don't understand it, obviously "normal folks" wouldn't either.

But basically he redirected money owed to him to his foundation instead so he could spend the money poo poo without paying taxes for it.

How much plausible deniability does he have in these cases?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Lord Hydronium posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok2g6M4wTeg

The best part is, I'm pretty sure this was created as a negative ad.

Hot drat mi :abuela: stole my vote, but now I think she stole my heart :love:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

hiddenriverninja posted:

"Crooked Hillary. Also, unfair. Sad! In the tank against Trump!" That much.

Gonna be funny when he stops being the Republican nominee, though.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

We don't have to wait. One candidate has no conventional GotV apparatus and the other is heavily favored among undersampled voters to boot. It will look completely obvious in hindsight.

Trump will lose, you can't win with just racist whites anymore. However 6 months ago I'd never have predicted Trump would be polling within MOE of Clinton anywhere that matters or have >5% chance of winning on 538/PEC/whatever. The general is not the Republican primary, Trump is historically unqualified, he's alienated nearly demographic, the Democrats could nominate a paper bag etc etc etc. Guess I'm dumb!

Unrelated, it's fun to contrast Trump now with McGovern's experience in 1972. Both won highly contested primaries against the party establishment's candidate. The Democratic establishment proceeded to all but abandon McGovern, while the current Republican leadership have almost completely fallen in line behind Trump. McGovern's sins (from Wikipedia):

quote:

In the end, McGovern won the nomination by winning primaries through grassroots support in spite of establishment opposition. McGovern had led a commission to re-design the Democratic nomination system after the divisive nomination struggle and convention of 1968. The fundamental principle of the McGovern Commission—that the Democratic primaries should determine the winner of the Democratic nomination—have lasted throughout every subsequent nomination contest. However, the new rules angered many prominent Democrats whose influence was marginalized, and those politicians refused to support McGovern's campaign (some even supporting Nixon instead), leaving the McGovern campaign at a significant disadvantage in funding compared to Nixon.
McGovern ran on a platform of immediately ending the Vietnam War and instituting guaranteed minimum incomes for the nation's poor.

Meanwhile McCain et al are fine with Donald "Expel all Muslims" Trump.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

hiddenriverninja posted:

Eh, depends; but remember he also likes to boast about how he runs his own business and its all his Big Sexy Brain, so thats why this kind of thing would under any other circumstances be so damning. the fact that no one bothered to look at poo poo last fall is galling on so many levels.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think the Republicans are more in favor of someone who will give them a SCOTUS justice to replace Scalia, and would probably actually sacrifice their collective firstborn if it meant they would get it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nessus posted:

I think the Republicans are more in favor of someone who will give them a SCOTUS justice to replace Scalia, and would probably actually sacrifice their collective firstborn if it meant they would get it.

Basically. They've got everything riding on this election.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

This perfectly conveys the whole "special ed kid who somehow got into politics" vibe that Walker has.

Mandator
Aug 28, 2007

Will this be the fast-moving-page-a-minute-debate-thread, or is that happening in C-SPAM?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mandator posted:

Will this be the fast-moving-page-a-minute-debate-thread, or is that happening in C-SPAM?

We got pretty rowdy during the convention.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/katyperry/status/780513219022499840

Well alrighty then.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Nessus posted:

Yeah, anyone who thought that Republicans would abandon Trump in droves really wasn't paying attention. Clinton winning is an existential crisis for long term conservative policy goals, even if Republicans hold congress for the next eight years and never allow the Democrats to push through a single piece of legislation. SCOTUS seats are just too important for the GOP to abandon Trump and try again in 2020.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Uhhhh

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

can one un-register to vote

asking for a friend

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, anyone who thought that Republicans would abandon Trump in droves really wasn't paying attention. Clinton winning is an existential crisis for long term conservative policy goals, even if Republicans hold congress for the next eight years and never allow the Democrats to push through a single piece of legislation. SCOTUS seats are just too important for the GOP to abandon Trump and try again in 2020.

But but Hillary's a secret Republican????

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
I wished we lived in the timeline where Donald Trump gets Donnie Darko'd on 9/11 and has to play out some sick morality play just to ensure his own death

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Paradoxish posted:

How long term do you think the GOP are thinking atm?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Did Trump's foundation pay for that?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Josef bugman posted:

It's less long term, and more that 20+ years of fear mongering won't come true when it comes to how much of a gun grabbing tax raising bitch that they keep saying Hillary is.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Well I wouldn't exactly call it "thinking" because if they were "thinking" they'd have at least made attempts at refining their primary process or somehow neutralizing at least some of their huge negatives with growing minority populations. I'm pretty sure that's a needle someone could thread, but that probably requires someone to skip grifting in order to selflessly help the Party.

That said I think they realize that if Killary Klinton appoints SCOTUS justices - especially if it becomes plural (I expect they'll desperately throw Merrick Garland on and pray he has either a heart condition or a sudden awakening to human bio diversity) - their entire situation may start collapsing way faster than they can organize. A lot of the Republican machine has been carefully extending their margins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

How long does it take to finish a bottle of scotch?

• Locked thread