Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Crossposting from the terrain thread:

Does anyone have an opinions on laser-cut MDF buildings? I'm looking to pick up a couple buildings and right now I'm looking at Sarissa and 4ground. Sarissa is cheaper but 4ground comes pre-painted which is nice since I'm time-poor.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Got a M4 Sherman for relatively cheap for my Armoured Doughs, since my LGS is breaking up a few of the old starter sets and selling off the components at a discount. Quick question: do you guys think investing in a pintle mounted MG is a good idea?

Also, would mixing in a single sprue of US marines among my infantry to be feasible? i was thinking of using them to break up the monotony of poses or to represent veteran infantry. Would the uniforms be similar enough that I could get away with it?

I mean, you already have the co-axial MG and the hull mounted MG, so I guess you need to ask yourself if you really need an extra tank mounted MG. I never add them for pure modeling reasons, that being that they always break off and become a huge pain in the rear end.

The US Marine models are awesome but they're definitely gritty while the US army models are clean-cut Saving Private Ryan looking dudes. I think kitbashing them with some army bits and fielding them as a separate vet unit would look great though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Flippycunt posted:

Does anyone have an opinions on laser-cut MDF buildings? I'm looking to pick up a couple buildings and right now I'm looking at Sarissa and 4ground. Sarissa is cheaper but 4ground comes pre-painted which is nice since I'm time-poor.

My opinion is that it is good stuff and you should buy some. The 4ground buildings in particular are great with interiors and everything.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Enentol posted:

Just keep in mind that using pintle-mounts makes you count as open-topped. There's better ways to get more firepower than to gimp your armoured vehicle.

I would also say yes on the Marines sprue. Even just stealing the arms let's you mix things up enough to break some of the monotony.

Also, did somebody say CANADIANS?

Oh, they didn't? Sorry. :canada:
I was actually reading my Market Garden Flames book, and it turns out the Royal Marine Commandos (even the guys specifically cited in the BA Normandy Commando list) were teaming up with the Canadians for the Battle of the Scheldt (and of course on Normandy, plus Dieppe - Canucks and Commandos seem to flock together a lot). So if I add regular infantry to my Commando list, I'm gonna make them Canadians. :britain::respek::canada:

Flippycunt posted:

I mean, you already have the co-axial MG and the hull mounted MG, so I guess you need to ask yourself if you really need an extra tank mounted MG. I never add them for pure modeling reasons, that being that they always break off and become a huge pain in the rear end.

The US Marine models are awesome but they're definitely gritty while the US army models are clean-cut Saving Private Ryan looking dudes. I think kitbashing them with some army bits and fielding them as a separate vet unit would look great though.

I have no opinion on lasercut MDF buildings other than they are both cool and good - my LGS has some painted up and they're pretty great. Not sure what brand they are, though.

Also cheers for the advice when it comes to the Marines. I was thinking of using the wounded head for my Commandos along with any other unhelmeted I can find on the sprue. I guess I can paint the covered helmets in regular drab and hope nobody notices as well.

Thanks to both of you for the tank advice, I guess I'm leaving the MG off.

Quick question: what model is the Warlord plastic Sherman supposed to be? It's an M4A3, right?

Oh, and in other news, I got a kid and his dad into Tanks! today. The kid came in to buy stuff and was naturally (due to it being the largest stand in the place) to the age of Sigmar stuff and I think wound up buying that 'get started with age of Sigmar' kit that has a booklet and free Sigmarine with his allowance or whatever. I offered to show him a tanks demo game and he seemed to enjoy himself kicking my rear end at Barkmann's Corner. His dad actually snuck off as we were packing up to buy the Tanks! starter set (I think the cheaper price point compared to X-Wing pushed him over) and surprise his kid. :3: Also, the kid figured out the adding/subtracting defence die instantly as opposed to the grown man I played against earlier in the day.

Edit: Also, it seems a bunch of guys at my LGS are all getting into Team Yankee, I think primarily because one of the guys who runs the club is an former Tankie. I must have wished on a goddamn monkey's paw. It seems there are people getting into everything but Flames of War at my LGS. Sigh. Guess I'll look into grabbing some Chieftains...

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Sep 24, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, the kid figured out the adding/subtracting defence die instantly as opposed to the grown man I played against earlier in the day.

I think some people who're committed to one line are deliberately obtuse about stuff like this, because the alternative is that some people are terrifyingly poo poo at math.

Also, FWIW, "tankies" are communists who idolise stalin, you probably want "tankers".

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Flippycunt posted:

If you're in the USA, check out Crescent root studio. Crescent-root.com. Amazing stuff, prepaintex, best on the market. I don't know about his shipping costs to foreigners is why I say if you're in the USA.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Also Gamecraft Miniatures.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

muggins posted:

If you're in the USA, check out Crescent root studio. Crescent-root.com. Amazing stuff, prepaintex, best on the market. I don't know about his shipping costs to foreigners is why I say if you're in the USA.

My problem with Crescent Root is that although their stuff looks amazing, the interiors aren't even close to as detailed as 4Ground's.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
TRE games makes sweet stuff too

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I spent $120 on toy houses. God help me.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

I think some people who're committed to one line are deliberately obtuse about stuff like this, because the alternative is that some people are terrifyingly poo poo at math.

Also, FWIW, "tankies" are communists who idolise stalin, you probably want "tankers".

Well he was also a fellow Tanks player, this wasn't a demo game. I had to physically add and subtract the dice in front of him for him to grasp it.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Another test game of CoC before kicking off the campaign. We're still learning but the phases are starting to flow now.

Also, I've painted 2 out of 3 sections of my UK platoon, so I can play with something pretty instead of the hideous loan minis I've used so far.

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Sep 25, 2016

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
Tables still looking beautiful. Planning to write up any of the campaign?

I'm just sticking together an airborne and a fallshrimjager platoon for CoC, hoping to get a game in thursday. Any tips for newbies?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I just got my copy of CoC (and counters). I can't wait to read it, build up some lists, and then not pay it with anyone because none of my friends live near me!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Sanguine posted:

Tables still looking beautiful. Planning to write up any of the campaign?

I'm just sticking together an airborne and a fallshrimjager platoon for CoC, hoping to get a game in thursday. Any tips for newbies?

Thanks. I've passed it on. I mentioned it to the other guys and they weren't immediately rejecting the idea. But I have a baby to take care of, a thesis to write and a campaign to run, so I won't promise anything. It also feels a bit redundant when this blog covers the same campaign with way more effort than I'd ever be able to put in it: http://tinyhordes.com/operation-martlet-caen-campaign/

Tips for noobs would probably be to not underestimate the power of an extra section in support and remember to use smoke and suppressing fire when attacking. Smoke in particular is obscenely powerful. But keep in mind I've played 3 games as yet so I don't know much more than you. liljonas can probably be more helpful regarding campaigns.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

My first officer dude for SP

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

muggins posted:

My first officer dude for SP

Nice! I spent my weekend painting up my first cavalry unit for Sharp Practice. French Dragoons from the 7th regiment, 5th Company. 28mm plastic kit from Perry, a very nice kit to build, and a bargain at 13 cavalrymen and 8 dismounted dragoons for £20. Poor 10 PM mobile photos ahoy!

E: Quick army shot, getting close to something looking like a proper force:

Still want to add more fusiliers and beef up the voltigeurs (especially with skirmish poses), and then I need to get a bunch of NCOs to steer these men on the table. But some 50 infantrymen, a cannon and 8 cavalrymen is a good start.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 25, 2016

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Those look awesome man. After I do all this infantry a light field gun and eight cavalry dudes are next (after I paint yanks,). Also just started a project with a bunch of bros to play a game of sp2 at adepticon, we chose to do French and Indian war.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking at starting a Bolt Action US Army... army and this seems like the right thread to ask questions. What is a good starting point? I'm aware of the starter army and it seems like my best option. Are there any pitfalls to watch out for or alternative builds from this box? It seems like the list included in it is lacking anti-tank, for example. Any advice is appreciated; my plan had been to buy the army book before purchasing anything else, but my FLGS is out of stock at the moment and their new rulebooks haven't come in yet.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Safety Factor posted:

I'm looking at starting a Bolt Action US Army... army and this seems like the right thread to ask questions. What is a good starting point? I'm aware of the starter army and it seems like my best option. Are there any pitfalls to watch out for or alternative builds from this box? It seems like the list included in it is lacking anti-tank, for example. Any advice is appreciated; my plan had been to buy the army book before purchasing anything else, but my FLGS is out of stock at the moment and their new rulebooks haven't come in yet.

That starter box is perfectly fine for getting started, IMO. It comes with a sherman tank and there are a bunch of bazookas on the weapons sprue, so you're fine unless someone has really skewed their whole list towards heavy armor.

The problem with doing alternate builds just out of that box is that all of the infantry in the box is spoken for between the 4 squads and 2 commanders, so if you want to be able to put bazookas on guys and still do the list on the webpage you'll have to buy another box of infantry. I might buy that starter box and play with it as is for a bit, and then get another box of infantry and the US Army command blister down the line and swap the .50 cal team and the two .30 cal guns on the half-track and for a bazooka and a medic w/ rifleman, or an air force forward observer or whatever else.

edit: If you're ordering from Warlord it might be easier to just grab an extra US Infantry body sprue, but IDK if you can get those at local game stores.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 26, 2016

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Swagger Dagger posted:

That starter box is perfectly fine for getting started, IMO. It comes with a sherman tank and there are a bunch of bazookas on the weapons sprue, so you're fine unless someone has really skewed their whole list towards heavy armor.

The problem with doing alternate builds just out of that box is that all of the infantry in the box is spoken for between the 4 squads and 2 commanders, so if you want to be able to put bazookas on guys and still do the list on the webpage you'll have to buy another box of infantry. I might buy that starter box and play with it as is for a bit, and then get another box of infantry and the US Army command blister down the line and swap the .50 cal team and the two .30 cal guns on the half-track and for a bazooka and a medic w/ rifleman, or an air force forward observer or whatever else.

edit: If you're ordering from Warlord it might be easier to just grab an extra US Infantry body sprue, but IDK if you can get those at local game stores.

You can't get the body sprues at LGSs. The fixed starter armies you can get through LGSs. You can also just pick up a blister or two of metal figures to give you spares (command and sniper for example, and then use the spare plastic bodies for a bazooka team.

At 500 point level don't worry too much about armour, because most later war tanks are so expensive you can't fit them and enough else in 500 points. Half tracks or trucks or armoured cars are what you are likely to run across. At 1000 you have a tank of your own and can throw in a bazooka team, which gives you two sources of anti tank. Give a squad or two anti tank grenades and you have threats across the board.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Beep beep motherfuckers

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

secretly a baby posted:

Beep beep motherfuckers

Noice

I don't think the man on the left could look less impressed at his fun jeep ride though

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
It looks like he's holding on for dear life

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Safety Factor posted:

As someone who just started as well I'd probably give up now on ordering stuff at FLGS. For whatever reason Warlord is just terrible at supporting stores. Half the stuff they just couldn't order at all. Rulebooks aren't expected until next month.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

alg posted:

As someone who just started as well I'd probably give up now on ordering stuff at FLGS. For whatever reason Warlord is just terrible at supporting stores. Half the stuff they just couldn't order at all. Rulebooks aren't expected until next month.

I've found this to also be true for Flames of War; takes months to get anything in.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Has anyone done a comparison between Warlord and Rubicon M3 Halftracks? I'm wondering which which would be better for my Bolt Action Armoured Rifle platoon. I'm actually thinking of getting one of Rubicon's Shermans so I can have a M4A3 to go with my M4 (although I might wait until they release the new version). Does anyone have good recommendations for 28mm decals?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

alg posted:

1st print run of BA2 completely sold out on pre-orders, second print run will arrive in October. Warlord combined it with a free infantry box for ordering directly from them.

It's one of those victim of your own success things.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
What is the lowdown on Tanks? Not really in the market for assembling and painting miniatures but the notion of an almost self contained tank game based on the flightpath system really piqued my curiosity, and I wondered if it was any good or had gone down the Star Trek: Attack Wing path of taking a good system and then loving it up horribly.

Also from 1 to 10 where does it rank on the Wehraboo scale?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MikeCrotch posted:

What is the lowdown on Tanks? Not really in the market for assembling and painting miniatures but the notion of an almost self contained tank game based on the flightpath system really piqued my curiosity, and I wondered if it was any good or had gone down the Star Trek: Attack Wing path of taking a good system and then loving it up horribly.

It does unfortunately mention the Panther as the 'best medium tank of WWII' as the flavour text on its tank card, but otherwise it's pretty much Wehraboo-free and the system seems to be pretty balanced so far, at least in my opinion.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

MikeCrotch posted:

It's BF's take on X-wing and not anywhere near as good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Panzeh posted:

It's BF's take on X-wing and not anywhere near as good.

Yeah, I will agree that if you just want the 'best' flightpath game, X-Wing is the better one. Nonetheless I think Tanks is still a good game - it's no Star Trek Attack Wing, thank god. and you don't really need to paint the tanks if you don't want to, since they're all in different shades of plastic so you can go for the Army Men look. There's also the choice to buy models for cheaper from other minis companies - the starter has a card for every tank in wave 1 and most expansions will have cards for every variant you can make from the kit.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Finished the AVRE for our Op. Martlet CoC campaign, which kicks off later in October. 15mm BF resin tank.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sorry for popping in with a dumb question but how well-regarded is Flames of War? I was considering getting a couple Soviet minis just for display and figured I might as well get a rule set attached, and there seems to be a group at my FLGS

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Photo dump time. I finished a band for my Confederate deployment point

I also have some American provincials for f&iw at AdeptiCon

I also received my copy of Spectre Operations in the mail - looks cool!

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Yvonmukluk posted:

Has anyone done a comparison between Warlord and Rubicon M3 Halftracks? I'm wondering which which would be better for my Bolt Action Armoured Rifle platoon. I'm actually thinking of getting one of Rubicon's Shermans so I can have a M4A3 to go with my M4 (although I might wait until they release the new version). Does anyone have good recommendations for 28mm decals?

The Rubicon one is the better of the two- more details, easier to assemble, etc.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

StashAugustine posted:

Sorry for popping in with a dumb question but how well-regarded is Flames of War? I was considering getting a couple Soviet minis just for display and figured I might as well get a rule set attached, and there seems to be a group at my FLGS

It's decent. The ruleset is a bit "standard", it doesn't push the boundaries much, but is a competent effort at a familiar mould. It's clunky in places (hit allocation is a loving bytazine nightmare), but balance is generally good (The US is maybe a bit too good and the soviets are a bit bad, but it's not jarring).

If you want loads of detail and interesting spins on the Soviets look for another system because in FoWville the soviet military consisted of the red army and guards divisions and they were all exactly the same from 41 to 45.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

muggins posted:

This rules so hard

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Thanks lol, I know the models are definitely super dank old sculpts from the 80s or whatever but they look cool, lol. I probably should have done a head swap but its all good

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

muggins posted:

This owns. I would have a hard time not humming "Dixie" every time I deployed from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

secretly a baby posted:

Beep beep motherfuckers

This is cute as gently caress. Beep beep indeed.