Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

El Grillo posted:

I tried 3m USB and 3m HDMI extensions for my Rift and they didn't work :( Connection was unreliable on both fronts. Going to try 2m ones. Thank gently caress for easy Amazon refunds/returns.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/extension_cables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

El Grillo posted:

I tried 3m USB and 3m HDMI extensions for my Rift and they didn't work :( Connection was unreliable on both fronts. Going to try 2m ones. Thank gently caress for easy Amazon refunds/returns.

Isn't there some special features you have to have on the cables? Like some sort of standard or manufacturing thing on them?

efb by actual information by poetic

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

El Grillo posted:

I use this in 10ft. For the camera, I use a 15' active extension.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think rec room is good and palmer luckey is bad

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Isn't there some special features you have to have on the cables? Like some sort of standard or manufacturing thing on them?

What I actually meant to post before I forgot and just posted a complaint was, this thread with different people getting different results with the same cables: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/49199g/hdmi_and_usb_extension_cables_tested_and_working/
It just seems pretty random. I'm gonna go with the ones suggested at PoeticJustice's link, but 2m if I can, and see what works.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 27, 2016

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
This guy figured out back in the year 2000 that VR googles let you look at a woman's boobs without her noticing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B16zqPAzXxQ&t=1045s

Edit: The movie also has a Half-Life machinima scene towards the end, HL3 VR confirmed.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 26, 2016

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

KakerMix posted:

Data cables have a maximum designed length, if you go beyond that without using active repeaters the signal may become corrupted. Or not.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Vertigo looks like it could be really cool/interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbFnWj867sA

and Onward looks like a shitload of fun, this is kind of dumb but parts remind me of some of the idiotic poo poo I got up to in ARMA 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjQCbx_lpkE. So much fun to be had just messing around in milsims.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Sep 27, 2016

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Truga posted:

any election involving real flesh and blood Nazis is the worst election. It's really a shame California seems to have laws protecting a Nazi, but maybe he can be shamed into resigning instead.

Hahaha, who am I kidding, he's probably laughing comfortably in some echo chamber where he's being called a hero, saving his brothers and sisters from this white genocide by sponsoring breitbart hate speech.

That same law protects you if your techie bro ubermensch CEO learns you don't ride Ayn Rand's dick as hard as he does.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

e: nm read the thread.

d0s fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 27, 2016

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zsinjeh posted:

Thirding that Vox Machinae is going to be the bees knees for Mech fans, if their demo is any indication. And the demo was awesome.

They're very active on twitter and to a lesser extent Facebook. It's slowly coming together.
https://twitter.com/SpaceBulletCorp/status/770690793048637440
Acid rain :black101:
As you can see, they neatly solve the weight/bounce issue imo. The seat is on a gyroscopic balancer which I buy both lore-wise and experience-wise. The bouncing outside the seat gives it real weight, and I remember in the demo it freaking me out when doing a high jet jump as the realization sets in that you're in a Mech that weighs hundreds of tons and you're crashing down to earth.

That is absolutely amazing looking.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I really want a steel batallion vr game

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X3GD0UnBCk

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The Mechwarrior games, to me, were always but a pale imitation of the awesomeness of the Starsiege mech games.

But that's probably because I liked driving the ultra-heavy tanks and fighting mechs by equipping a ram to the front and rocket boosters to the back and driving through enemy legs as their torsos crashed into the ground behind me and exploded (and also, the lore was like 100x better than Mechwarrior, or at least I'm guessing it was since I can remember exactly none of Mechwarrior's lore)

What I'm saying is I would explode with happiness if we got a Starsiege reboot in VR.

Ah, dreams...

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

d0s posted:

I really want a steel batallion vr game
If someone ever makes a working xbox emulator, gives it VR support, and makes working controller drivers for Windows 10, then I am 100% ready.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Helter Skelter posted:

If someone ever makes a working xbox emulator, gives it VR support, and makes working controller drivers for Windows 10, then I am 100% ready.

I would happily pay full price today for a Steel Battalion controller if this could be made real

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

I would happily pay full price today for a Steel Battalion controller if this could be made real

I am so sad mine is collecting dust, and I would play the hell out of a VR game that would make use of it. Even if I had to pay like 20bux for a peripheral to put the Vive controllers in that attaches to it so you can find the drat thing in VR.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GlyphGryph posted:

The Mechwarrior games, to me, were always but a pale imitation of the awesomeness of the Starsiege mech games.

But that's probably because I liked driving the ultra-heavy tanks and fighting mechs by equipping a ram to the front and rocket boosters to the back and driving through enemy legs as their torsos crashed into the ground behind me and exploded (and also, the lore was like 100x better than Mechwarrior, or at least I'm guessing it was since I can remember exactly none of Mechwarrior's lore)

What I'm saying is I would explode with happiness if we got a Starsiege reboot in VR.

Ah, dreams...

My man!
I adored (I still very much enjoy) Starsiege. Not Tribes, mind, Starsiege, when it was about immortal groups pulling the strings of Humanity to fight the rouge AI Prometheus and his children in H.E.R.C.s and the wicked-rear end human campaign that was nothing but retreat after retreat to a final showdown at the end.
Goddamn Starsiege is fukin' righteous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daCE2PmtCFc

Everyone talks about Shodan as the big-badass enemy AI but Prometheus was cool as gently caress as well. The way the cybrids spoke is still rad. Also I found this:
http://robbwatson.net/compendium/

:hellyeah:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I really want a japanese fast robot game in vr like a first person phantom crash or something, idk if that would make people sick or something tho

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

d0s posted:

I really want a japanese fast robot game in vr like a first person phantom crash or something, idk if that would make people sick or something tho
From is working on a PSVR game, and have also announced a new Armored Core, and everyone is assuming that's the one.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

20 years later and every time I see that into, it feels like the first time and I get pumped.

edit: I think what I always loved about mechwarior 2, and what the later games lost, was it was clunky and felt like a real weighty powerful mech [i[sim[/i] and not another fps. Same thing that made the old x-wing/tie fighter games so good, and every star wars space shooter since suck in comparison to games from 1993.

I wish I was running disney, I would pump out a VR re-release of tie fighter, nothing new, nothing different just a straight vr remake, and collect money from every single nerd with a headset.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 27, 2016

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
Maybe Sega can revive Virtual On.

"Get Ready!" :barf:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tom Guycot posted:

20 years later and every time I see that into, it feels like the first time and I get pumped.

As a grown up I just think to myself 'what kind of fuckin mech loadout has PPCs and machineguns" then I realize what I just thought

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I was seriously thinking I'd be immune to VR sickness because I've never been able to become motion sick from a video game (even early virtuality VR stuff, never got headaches from virtual boy either), but the climb demo when I tried a rift at best buy left me feeling ill for hours, though it would have probably been a lot better with touch controllers, the disconnect between what I was doing with my hands and what was going on onscreen was just too massive

d0s fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Sep 27, 2016

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi
Dirt Rally was one of the first games I played after getting a rift, and it made me queasy within about 10 minutes. After a few months and having played other games feeling fine (Elite Dangerous, House of the Dying Sun, even DCS World which had hitching problems), Dirt Rally is still plenty painful. I am wondering now if the controller is that vital to the experience, enough to trick your body and get it in line with your eyes and brain.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's okay, wearing technology developed by a white supremacist would make me quesy too.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

d0s posted:

There's RIGS which seems pretty fast, although it's centered around a sort of E-sports competitive setting so it probably won't scratch that Mech itch you're looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aasjC-ph0Uw
http://2p.com/42780750_1/PSVR-Mech-Shooter-RIGS-Could-Be-the-Early-Form-of-Future-VR-E-Sport-by-Fury116.htm

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Mordaedil posted:

It's okay, wearing technology developed by a white supremacist would make me quesy too.

VR/AR are the ultimate tool for racial domination because everyone becomes white when you view them through the device.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Gabby_Jay posted:

, Dirt Rally is still plenty painful. I am wondering now if the controller is that vital to the experience, enough to trick your body and get it in line with your eyes and brain.

are you playing it with a pad? I'm big into racing games but the first thing I invest in after a vr helmet is gonna be a wheel/pedals :retrogames: for some reason I never needed them before but I can't imagine playing a VR racing game with a pad

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gabby_Jay posted:

Dirt Rally was one of the first games I played after getting a rift, and it made me queasy within about 10 minutes. After a few months and having played other games feeling fine (Elite Dangerous, House of the Dying Sun, even DCS World which had hitching problems), Dirt Rally is still plenty painful. I am wondering now if the controller is that vital to the experience, enough to trick your body and get it in line with your eyes and brain.

Different strokes but i can sit and play dirt rally for hours without feeling a twinge.

Put me in an fps without a crosshair or fixed point of reference and im done though.

With dirt I use the full cockpit camera mode so i have a fixed frame of reference, in any other camera mode id imagine id become rather ill. Were you using the cockpit camera?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 27, 2016

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

d0s posted:

are you playing it with a pad? I'm big into racing games but the first thing I invest in after a vr helmet is gonna be a wheel/pedals :retrogames: for some reason I never needed them before but I can't imagine playing a VR racing game with a pad

I am playing on a pad, and you're right about it feeling off in VR. I've got a hotas for flight games, an X52 specifically, and that fits perfectly with E:D since the ingame model is the same design. With the right stick/throttle placement you can sync your hand and arm movement to the game's.

If I had more than a casual interest in racing games I'd probably get a wheel anyway, I'm just going to stick to racing on a monitor for now.

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Were you using the cockpit camera?

Yep, driver view, not dash. I noticed they added in an option to lock your POV to the car, or to lock it to the road, so the car kinda rotates around you to compensate for bumps. Both modes gave me a headache, but the locked to car one was worse.

Gabby_Jay fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Sep 27, 2016

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010
Thanks for the recomendations a few pages ago. I decided to get onward to begin with as the multiplayer seemed pretty fun...

I've not yet tried any of the other games because I can't stop playing onward. That multiplayer is pretty fun.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Latest photogrammetry test. With this test I've successfully worked out many bugs and issues plaguing me. I'm not sure whats going on with the recording of the video though, I looked at it now and its all blurry on the edges, not sure why, it was all fine and normal in the headset. Oh well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-ksOBzNv_E

-I was unable to build the mesh all at once due to RAM limitations, forcing me to do it in 5 sections which worked out fine.
-To join these sections however, I had to bring each into 3d studio max (the student edition is free which is why I used it), BUT I had to export them in as .OBJ files in Photoscan. If I brought them in as .fbx (the other format destinations can read) the scale would be messed up and they wouldn't be able to be brought back into photoscan for texturing.
-To line them up automatically, I had to import the first one, then use import/merge for each additional segment. After that just attach each and make them one large mesh.

Pi Mu Rho posted:

That is seriously cool as poo poo. I'm glad to see you got to grips with the export/reimport/retexture process that has eluded me so far.
Thanks, It ended up being not too bad, just a lot of trial and error to figure out the right process steps. I can only speak for 3ds max, but basically what I put above about exporting them as .OBJ files, then importing to 3ds max.

-At this point after they were merged and in 3ds max I could make changes, adding shapes. I fixed all the rain gutters, the benches, the roofs, holes in the ground, some posts, art easel, legs to chairs, and some other things here and there. Theres a lot more I could smooth out and fix but, I want to make sure I can go reliably from A>B>C first before investing too much time in fine details (plus I'm really bad at 3d modeling software. I didn't even know how to place a box :v:).
-The most import step of all of the modding the mesh was making sure i never ever ever moved the main mesh, or the whole thing would be useless. I kept a backup saved periodically just in case this happened and i didn't realize it.
-After whatever changes, export it from 3ds max as an .OBJ file again (it and photoscan both asked if I wanted to flip y coordinates or something, but I made sure to deselect anything I thought could move the model.)
-Back in Photoscan I made a duplicate of the chunk to make sure it was lined up and as a backup, then on the new chunk I went to tools > Import > Import mesh, and selected the .OBJ file 3ds max created. Once again making sure not to change any coordinates when it asked.
-Now that it was back in i could flip between the modified one, and the original chunk just to make sure they were dead on still, then just like normal go to create the texture.

This is where I hit another problem, the mesh was far too large for my measly 24gb of RAM to handle making a texture of in one go so I was stumped for a while, but figured out a way around it, thought not as good as if I just had the ram. Thankfully This is far larger than any of the other scenes I wanted to record so I probably will be fine for all the smaller ones. Oh, the whole mesh was about 2.8m triangles.
-To get around it I used the select tool in photoscan to cut out sections of the massive mesh. This worked to my advantage because I could concentrate the areas I wanted the most detail together/separate, and make more textures just for them, and fewer textures for the areas without as much detail.
-Actually separating them in Photoscan though, I had to select the area I wanted, crop the selection, duplicate that chunk, go back to the original chunk where its still highlighted, then undo the crop, delete the section instead, and start over highlighting the next section I wanted. In the end I ended up with 7 separate meshes in 7 chunks.
-Texturing them was straight forward, but for the cabin area I did 6 8k textures, in the farthest area i did 2 8k textures. All together I had 23 8k textures I believe.

I now had to restitch all these models again without resorting to trying to eyeball them in hammer map editor or something which is what I did in my multipart cabin interior tests. It was a little trial and error but I got it all down.
-This time I had to export them from Photoscan as .FBX files, making sure it included the textures.
-Import them again to 3ds max, do the same import/merge process to get them lined up, then save it all as one .FBX file. If I tried exporting them as .OBJ files it screwed up the texture maps royaly so vOv whatever.
-This is specific to destinations, but I had another problem when bring it into that, it listed materials 1-23 for my textures, but named them XXX.1-6 for example for the 6 from the cabin mesh, but would then start over at 1 for each set from the other meshes. I had to go on the right side of this screen where it has destinations, and rename the end manually of them so they flowed xxx.1-23 instead.

-Everything from that point worked just fine.

I'm sure there's a lot of steps that could be simplified for me, other things I'm doing wrong or not understanding, and this might all be a bit long winded and boring, but I figure if theres anyone else wanting to mess around with this stuff, maybe something here will tick a "oh heyyyy thats what I should try doing". I know it was bloody impossible trying to google answers for basically any issue I had right down the line. Theres a bit of information about photogrammetry out there, but less for capturing large spaces and from a clueless newbie perspective.

Pi Mu Rho posted:

For the very basics, it's ridiculously simple. Create a new scene, import your mesh (which should be as simple as a drag and drop into the assets), drop it into the scene. Disable shadows on the mesh, or it'll look wrong. Plop in a first-person controller, and you can now stroll around your new environment. Actually, better put in an invisible plane under it so you don't fall through - same goes for any objects you don't want to walk through. If you wanted a Destinations-esque teleport system, that's going to be a bit more complex, but I'm sure there's a couple on the Unity Asset Store that could get you going.

Edit: You may have to rescale your mesh until it feels "right" to move around in.

I did this from ~200 photos, and without correcting any of the meshes, then threw it into Unity:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHpgJvcAB0Q

Thanks, I think I'll make trying to plop it into unity my next goal.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 27, 2016

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I may have already asked this but is the GTX 1080 that much better than the 1070 for VR? Or would it be better to go ahead and get the 1070 and hope that SLI comes online in a couple years? Not that SLI has really ever caught on, but if there's an application that seems tailor made for it, VR seems to be it.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

The 1080 is ~25% faster than the 1070 on average. That's a significant boost, but I'll leave the value judgement up to you. Don't count on SLI being any good for VR any time soon, however.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you don't want to spend the extra money, a 1070 is just fine. Many games are made to target a 970 and a 1070 is a lot better than that, especially in VR.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Does anyone know when the ti versions come out?

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Thor-Stryker posted:

Does anyone know when the ti versions come out?

I've heard rumors of January but I don't think Nvidia has released any concrete info yet.

otown liquiddreams
Sep 27, 2016

by zen death robot
GO AWAY DARE!

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenrif
Jan 12, 2010
Anyone had any experience with their controllers losing tracking?

I just banged mine into my desk and it's got a green light, can open the steam overlay in vr, but refuses to track. The SteamVR control panel says it's on standby but it refuses to wake up. :S