Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think part of it is the VAG domination. Why bother competing if you know that one of four cars are going to win and there's nothing you can do? LMP2 is more competitive, cheaper to get into, and doesn't need factory backing to even have a chance. When was the last time a privateer team won LMP1?

E: beaten, and sniped:

1500quidporsche posted:

ByKolles and Rebellion are a joke and should really be LMP2 teams. You're left with Toyota (who admit they're doing this to a budget) and VAG who run two teams with cars approximately as technologically sophisticated as an F1 car.

I already think VAG are more or less benchmarking their performance to what Toyota does but if that's a bit too :tinfoil: the series is going to become a farce if any one manufacturer leaves. Imagine if it's just Audi and Porsche, or even if VAG pulls the plug altogether and it's loving Toyota running round Lemans by itself.

Honestly, because LMP1 requires hybrids, I wouldn't be surprised if Chevy tries for it if we want more factory teams involved. They're having success in Indy (though that's also because their aero kit is arguably better than Honda's on road courses/short ovals). Ford wanted to spank Ferrari and Chevy in LMGTE in France and they did just that, not to mention they don't really like electric cars that much, so I don't see them going LMP1.

iospace fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
If that happened, I'd imagine there would be calls to bring back homologation and we'd have a new GT1 era of sorts. You could more or less do it in a pinch, really. Any one of the hot new hypercars could be modified for racing and then BOP'd if necessary. A lot of people want that to happen anyway.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

daslog posted:

Anyway, ban wings.

1. less turbulence
2. closer racing
3. no red bull

A+

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Carth Dookie posted:

It was the 70's/80's. Call me cynical but in an era of rudimentary understanding of sports medicine, I think the lifestyle choices of the drivers at the time probably didn't help (all that drinking and smoking.)

Again, I seriously doubt it. In the IndyCar situation, they drove some 230mph through the turns and pulled 5.5Gz's on a banked turn. The Gz load on a non-banked turn is insignificant.

ImplicitAssembler fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 26, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

George Zimmer posted:

If that happened, I'd imagine there would be calls to bring back homologation and we'd have a new GT1 era of sorts. You could more or less do it in a pinch, really. Any one of the hot new hypercars could be modified for racing and then BOP'd if necessary. A lot of people want that to happen anyway.

I really hate BOP but I can see why it's a necessary evil in the lower categories. I don't think it'd play out as well at the top level if it came to it.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Is it possible to sandbag enough to get around too much BOP, or is it pretty clear when that happens?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

See: Ford's WEC and IMSA campaigns this year.

edit: Also the ACO arguing that Ford and Ferrari deserved to be lightyears ahead even with the BOP because their cars were prepared to the new rules struck me as a bit stupid and contrary to the spirit of BOP. Isn't it there so smaller manufacturers don't need to keep prepping a new car every few years? I guarantee if Kia turned up with a hatchback it wouldn't get nearly as favourable BOP as Ford or Ferrari would've got this year.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 26, 2016

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
IIRC they already BOP at the top level.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

My understanding is that LMP1 essentially has a table with the megajoules class and your fuel flow limit that gets adjusted at the end of every year so you have an idea what you're getting into. Which is a lot more transparent than: "Uhh you're too fast in FP2, bolt 50 pounds of lead onto the rear of the car."

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Make everyone race with a Lotus 49 esque chassis.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

See: Ford's WEC and IMSA campaigns this year.

edit: Also the ACO arguing that Ford and Ferrari deserved to be lightyears ahead even with the BOP because their cars were prepared to the new rules struck me as a bit stupid and contrary to the spirit of BOP. Isn't it there so smaller manufacturers don't need to keep prepping a new car every few years? I guarantee if Kia turned up with a hatchback it wouldn't get nearly as favourable BOP as Ford or Ferrari would've got this year.

Fun facts: Kia did race Optimas for a while in Pirelli World Challenge. They were actually halfway decent race cars, managing to grab the manufacturer's championship in their class in 2014.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Just because America does not care about something does not mean it's in decline :\ F1 is still the biggest sport in Europe after football. Not even MotoGP is as popular, it just seems like it is when you watch it on TV because they subsidise the tickets in order to pack the stadiums, and film it well.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

ByKolles and Rebellion are a joke and should really be LMP2 teams. You're left with Toyota (who admit they're doing this to a budget) and VAG who run two teams with cars approximately as technologically sophisticated as an F1 car.

I already think VAG are more or less benchmarking their performance to what Toyota does but if that's a bit too :tinfoil: the series is going to become a farce if any one manufacturer leaves. Imagine if it's just Audi and Porsche, or even if VAG pulls the plug altogether and it's loving Toyota running round Lemans by itself.

Agreed, they really should be - do those cars even have batteries? For some reason I don't think they do. Would be a shame if one of the top teams did pull the plug, it's been pretty killer racing this year even if it is, ultimately, just 2 manufacturers.

Pssst, Ferrari, get into LMP1-H. Then re-hire Nando.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GramCracker posted:

Agreed, they really should be - do those cars even have batteries? For some reason I don't think they do. Would be a shame if one of the top teams did pull the plug, it's been pretty killer racing this year even if it is, ultimately, just 2 manufacturers.

Privateer teams aren't required to run hybrids in LMP1, only factory teams are.

e:

learnincurve posted:

Just because America does not care about something does not mean it's in decline :\ F1 is still the biggest sport in Europe after football. Not even MotoGP is as popular, it just seems like it is when you watch it on TV because they subsidise the tickets in order to pack the stadiums, and film it well.

Yes and maybe it is in a decline. In-person attendance, apart from the "big" races (Daytona 500, Indy 500, Monaco, etc) I believe is dropping. So in one way, yes, it is in a decline, in that people are preferring to watch on TV instead of going to the races. The maybe comes from the fact that attendance for any major sporting event is always going to likely be a fraction of the actual audience watching at home. What are the TV ratings? That's the big question now.

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 26, 2016

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

They don't, I think it's even technically a separate class but doesn't get a podium, which says a lot about what the FIA thinks of them.

The racing has been awesome this year but I really couldn't tell you a drat thing about the championship nor do I really care.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The track attendance problem is the same as usual: "Bernie". He charges tracks so much money that they have to rack the ticket prices way up. We've seen lovely attendance in Brazil, Germany and Italy because of it over the last few years - the latter two are countries with enough viewers to justify Sky running separate film crews for them. Countries where is is subsidised like Mexico have packed stadiums, and tracks which still have the cheap grass bank areas, which actually does include Monaco, always have those areas sold out well in advance. Figures for 2015 were 425 million and stable, but then like with Top Gear, illegal downloads are not taken into account. iirc they think the sharp drop in viewers in 2008 was to do with downloads and that the viewership hasn't changed at all. This is actually a deeper issue, it's the exact same people watching now as were watching in 2008, so there is a big gap in the demographics where the teenage audience should be. Fairly obviously this is down to a lack of on-line presence which is down to..."Bernie"

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Here's my brilliant idea to liven up F1:

Each race weekend, have a different spec-vehicle for qualifying. Borrow some of the race buggies / KTM Xbows from ROC or something, shifter carts, a super stadium truck, maybe a formula ford and have them start on the grid based on how they qualify in a vehicle not even remotely related to their race car. They would also have the track all to themselves for a warmup, heater, and cool-down lap. They can still do free practice in their real cars for race simulations. Pay out ~10 points in the driver's championship for getting pole.

Bam.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

What are the TV ratings? That's the big question now.

no, because the TV ratings are guaranteed to be "in decline" because they have moved to pay-TV packages, which by their nature have fewer viewers, and pushed many people to illegal streams. the big question is how many people are actually watching the races, and that's almost impossible to measure.

dreesemonkey posted:

Pay out ~10 points in the driver's championship for getting pole.

we don't need to hand lewis any more advantages

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Penalize championship points for releasing pop music albums?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Driver of the day gets 10 points, worst driver or the day as voted for by the fans gets -10 points.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Goetta posted:

Ban racing, just have an hour long show of our favorite drivers quipping into a camera in different locations.

Haha now Kimi is having a poo poo in Baku

My favourite pre-race driver quote thingy ever was years and years back, nameless TV drone to Fisi:

"What do you like most about Monaco?"
"...the women!"

:h: Fisichella

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

learnincurve posted:

Driver of the day gets 10 points, worst driver or the day as voted for by the fans gets -10 points.

+5 if the driver who wins is in the country of his nationality, -5 if that country was at war sometime in the history with that driver's country

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Let's bring Toyota back.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In retrospect Toyota killing their sportscar and rally programs to focus resources on F1 is one of my least favorite moments in recent motorsports history.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
and then they hired Ralf Schumacher

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alain Post posted:

In retrospect Toyota killing their sportscar and rally programs to focus resources on F1 is one of my least favorite moments in recent motorsports history.

Well, they're coming back to rally, and that Yaris sounds ANGRY.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

They gave us Kamui Kobayashi so all is forgiven.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

iospace posted:

Well, they're coming back to rally, and that Yaris sounds ANGRY.

It's a loving Yaris.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I read a bit about how they operated internally and god drat, no wonder they never won.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Someone once told me that Porsche's sportscar program in the 90s got killed because the engineers were pulled to work on the Cayenne, and I have no idea if that's true but that's loving bad if it is

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

Someone once told me that Porsche's sportscar program in the 90s got killed because the engineers were pulled to work on the Cayenne, and I have no idea if that's true but that's loving bad if it is

Like the GT1/LMP/whatever the hell they were called at the time? Sounds dubious, because I am not sure what would be transferable from a racing program to an SUV.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I recall it being something along that line. Piech was a genius engineer but holy poo poo is he a miserable human being and every loving corporate decision he's made has been terrible and I'm glad the dieselgate is cleaning house.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Alain Post posted:

iirc it was more that Porsche was losing wicked money and the Cayenne was their last ditch before having to be sold, so the LMP1 program was a casualty of the cost cutting.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Alain Post posted:

I doubt that, since most of the Cayenne technology comes from VAG.

I think it was more of the case that Porsche were broke during most of the 90s. Look at the 996 911 as an example, using so many parts from the Boxster.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Audi was also in Le Mans at the time, so it might have been a case of "If you want to use our SUV platform don't go to Le Mans"

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

El Hefe posted:

and then they hired Ralf Schumacher

It's not his fault that Michael "Bad at Skiing" Schumacher is his older brother. Having to deal with him for much of your life would desecrate a lesser person.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's OK we'll have baby Schumacher in a few years to cleanse the German record from Fraudberg.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Rhopunzel posted:

iirc it was more that Porsche was losing wicked money and the Cayenne was their last ditch before having to be sold, so the LMP1 program was a casualty of the cost cutting.

Long story short, this. I absolutely love the story because it's how we got the utterly insane Carrera GT which basically uses a shelved F1 motor that was later intended for LeMans. :allears:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Go back to the 10/6/5/4/3/2/1 points system, but also apply it to qualifying. Also fastest lap of the race gets 2 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Alain Post posted:

Ugh, even more reason to hate that car.

• Locked thread