Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Wanamingo posted:

I like the lying crooked one if only because it was made in earnest by somebody in the Trump thread

nah it was made as a joke by one of your fellow toxxers, from the original here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Toxxing for Clinton even though I'm voting third party unless hell freezes over and Illinois becomes a swing state.

your vote is private and it's "cool" if you want to express some sort of political opinion with it. Don't advertise that you're voting third party if you really want Hillary to win though. It doesn't send a good message to people that you aren't excited to vote for Hillary and amplifying that message could negatively affect turnout and enthusiasm

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

DemeaninDemon posted:

Yeah I'm in the wrong here sorry
Reading it over again, I can see how you'd get that impression. Not my intent, and I should have framed it better. I'm trying to thread a needle, both on and off the forums, about saying that Hillary is still being favored but it not being a slam-dunk like it was looking a month or so ago. It wasn't more than a month ago that she was looking to put Arizona and Georgia in play. I still think it's possible, but it'd only be because of an epic Trump meltdown, and not something that's entirely in her control.

The point I was making is made pretty well by Nate Silver today actually, the whole thing's long (and worth going through), so read it [url="https://"http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-where-the-race-stands-heading-into-the-first-debate/"]here[/url], but I want to quote this part:

quote:

To put it another way, a narrow Trump win would not count as a major polling foul-up if the election were held today: It would be within a reasonable range of disagreement among pollsters. A clear Trump win — or for that matter, a Clinton landslide — would be more of a problem for the polls.
I'm staying positive, however, because the vote isn't being held today, and even if it were, I still think that Hillary would win, and there's some things that I think polling and polling aggregators miss.

First, Hillary has a way, way better ground game than Trump. Obviously, I can't point to any hard numbers proving this, but I think she's gonna have a bigger GOTV edge than any candidate since GOTV became a thing. There's a whole lot of unpersuaded voters, and I think that we'll see them break towards Hillary after the debates.

Second, the debates haven't happened yet, and we're currently at the tail end of a long, bad news cycle for Clinton, which she can turn around with a good debate performance. I think she'll win the debates overall, though I'm less bullish about her chances in the first one. I think networks will call it a tie, but Clinton will get a modest polling bump from it. I think she'll be declared a narrow winner in debate two, and see another polling bump, and then she'll blow Trump out in debate three because he'll start throwing haymakers to try to turn it around and he'll miss badly.

Third, Hillary is losing slightly more to Johnson and Stein than Trump is losing to them. If the race stays close, I expect that a lot of those low-enthusiasm voters will start to come back. On the flip side of this, the Republicans going third party because of Trump seem way less likely to come back. Another thing I can't prove with hard numbers, though I believe it to be true.

Fourth, there's way more undecided voters at this point than in any election in recent memory. I'm thinking that I'd have to go back to 2000 or one of Bubba's wins to find that. I don't care enough to do a deep dive, so if someone wants to prove me wrong on this, go for it. However, the number of undecideds gives Hillary room to grow, and as I said in the first point, she's got a superior ground game. Winning over undecided voters is a grind, and it's one that she's well set up to do.

Fifth and finally, she's got a way better fundraising apparatus than Trump. Although Trump is picking it up lately, it wouldn't surprise me to see Hillary outspend Trump 2:1 when all is said and done. That isn't enough to turn it from a tie to a blowout, but if we're playing a game of feet and inches, she's got an edge.

TL;DR:
Hillary's not in a great spot now, but she's in an okay one, and if I were her, I wouldn't want to trade places with Trump right now. Also, I think Hillary is going to way, way, way outperform her polling, owing to her superior campaign organization and infrastructure. It happened to Obama in 2012 and I think it'll be even more pronounced this year.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

your vote is private and it's "cool" if you want to express some sort of political opinion with it. Don't advertise that you're voting third party if you really want Hillary to win though. It doesn't send a good message to people that you aren't excited to vote for Hillary and amplifying that message could negatively affect turnout and enthusiasm

I'm not delusional about the chances of a third party actually effecting anything, doubly so for one that isn't the Greens or Libertarians, so it's just a personal thing. I'm pushing hard for Hillary and actively engaging in evangelism for her with left-wing/progressive friends, especially ones who do live in swing states, just like I did for Obama even though I didn't vote for him either. I'm totally pushing the third party option with Republicans I know and encouraging them to vote Johnson though. Hypocritical? Yep. The most moral choice considering what a worldwide disaster Trump would be? Also yep.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Yeah but it's a lot harder to convince someone to vote for Hillary when you yourself are not

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I don't tell everyone I'm voting third party IRL, and my friends who know that I do also aren't really the ones who need convincing. :shrug:

TheDeadFlagBlues
Sep 26, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
tox me up baby

if hillary loses, my sa account will be the least of my worries. if hillary wins, i'm going to whip out the mexican flag my abuelita gave me, march down to the highway by my apartment and wave that summbitch till a trump supporter drives into me.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Azathoth posted:

Reading it over again, I can see how you'd get that impression. Not my intent, and I should have framed it better. I'm trying to thread a needle, both on and off the forums, about saying that Hillary is still being favored but it not being a slam-dunk like it was looking a month or so ago. It wasn't more than a month ago that she was looking to put Arizona and Georgia in play. I still think it's possible, but it'd only be because of an epic Trump meltdown, and not something that's entirely in her control.

The point I was making is made pretty well by Nate Silver today actually, the whole thing's long (and worth going through), so read it [url="https://"http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-where-the-race-stands-heading-into-the-first-debate/"]here[/url], but I want to quote this part:

I'm staying positive, however, because the vote isn't being held today, and even if it were, I still think that Hillary would win, and there's some things that I think polling and polling aggregators miss.

First, Hillary has a way, way better ground game than Trump. Obviously, I can't point to any hard numbers proving this, but I think she's gonna have a bigger GOTV edge than any candidate since GOTV became a thing. There's a whole lot of unpersuaded voters, and I think that we'll see them break towards Hillary after the debates.

Second, the debates haven't happened yet, and we're currently at the tail end of a long, bad news cycle for Clinton, which she can turn around with a good debate performance. I think she'll win the debates overall, though I'm less bullish about her chances in the first one. I think networks will call it a tie, but Clinton will get a modest polling bump from it. I think she'll be declared a narrow winner in debate two, and see another polling bump, and then she'll blow Trump out in debate three because he'll start throwing haymakers to try to turn it around and he'll miss badly.

Third, Hillary is losing slightly more to Johnson and Stein than Trump is losing to them. If the race stays close, I expect that a lot of those low-enthusiasm voters will start to come back. On the flip side of this, the Republicans going third party because of Trump seem way less likely to come back. Another thing I can't prove with hard numbers, though I believe it to be true.

Fourth, there's way more undecided voters at this point than in any election in recent memory. I'm thinking that I'd have to go back to 2000 or one of Bubba's wins to find that. I don't care enough to do a deep dive, so if someone wants to prove me wrong on this, go for it. However, the number of undecideds gives Hillary room to grow, and as I said in the first point, she's got a superior ground game. Winning over undecided voters is a grind, and it's one that she's well set up to do.

Fifth and finally, she's got a way better fundraising apparatus than Trump. Although Trump is picking it up lately, it wouldn't surprise me to see Hillary outspend Trump 2:1 when all is said and done. That isn't enough to turn it from a tie to a blowout, but if we're playing a game of feet and inches, she's got an edge.

TL;DR:
Hillary's not in a great spot now, but she's in an okay one, and if I were her, I wouldn't want to trade places with Trump right now. Also, I think Hillary is going to way, way, way outperform her polling, owing to her superior campaign organization and infrastructure. It happened to Obama in 2012 and I think it'll be even more pronounced this year.

There ain't much to disagree with here at all.

I'd start getting worried if PA and NH started drifting away towards Trump land. Like him leading by a few points across the board there. Then the worrying would begin. It's possible for him to squeak by without it but it's pretty unlikely since him losing there doesn't bode well for performance elsewhere.

ludnix
Jan 8, 2007

by exmarx
:toxx: For the love of god, just perma-ban me if HRC doesn't win. There won't be internet on the as of yet uninhabited island I will move to.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
just a PSA for you all

The First Presidential Debate thread is up.

Read the OP for some details, a drinking game and a bingo game included. Be sure to check early for the bingo game rules if you want to apply to it, there's a submission time limit before 9pm EST.

It'll be open around 10-11am EST or the afternoon, depending if the IKs/Mods are awake/around~

Have fun :h:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

ludnix posted:

:toxx: For the love of god, just perma-ban me if HRC doesn't win. There won't be internet on the as of yet uninhabited island I will move to.

*adds tally mark to whiteboard*

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I was invited to my local Democratic office debate watch party.

I'm afraid all the nice little old ladies who are always there will judge me when I call Trump a lying motherfucker and drink. :ohdear:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

I was invited to my local Democratic office debate watch party.

I'm afraid all the nice little old ladies who are always there will judge me when I call Trump a lying motherfucker and drink. :ohdear:

Little old ladies who would go to a Democratic Party debate watch party are probably drunker and more foul mouthed than you. They lived through Nixon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

neonnoodle posted:

Little old ladies who would go to a Democratic Party debate watch party are probably drunker and more foul mouthed than you. They lived through Nixon.

yea there is no way a room full of little old politically active ladies won't also call someone a motherfucker.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I'm watching the debate with the LPC caucus tonight. So, of course, it's open bar. Guessing alot of motherfuckers will be said

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

I'm watching the debate with the LPC caucus tonight. So, of course, it's open bar. Guessing alot of motherfuckers will be said

So much drama in the LPC

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

So much drama in the LPC

What do you think LPC stands for?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

bunnyofdoom posted:

It's kinda hard being bunny-o-double-d

Bip Roberts has issued a correction as of 16:33 on Sep 26, 2016

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Did I toxx already? If not :shrug:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

bunnyofdoom posted:

Lithuania-Poland Commonwealth

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What I'm saying is that the current Republican-controlled Congress is more dysfunctional than the Sejm

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Liberal Party of Canada. AKA the people running poo poo up here in the north, and who made Baloogan an alcoholic.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
i hope after the election somebody compiles a list of companies and executives that donated to trump's campaign so we know who to avoid giving our money to

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Bip Roberts posted:

So much drama in the LPC

Bip Roberts posted:

It's kinda hard being bunny-o-double-d

:golfclap:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

....I have no idea what that reference is

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqgz-G5OqXM&t=80s Honestly though, just watch the whole thing. An under-appreciated master.

Arkest
Apr 2, 2007
Getting my Toxx in before the debate.

I'm worried the media will declare Trump the winner of the debate for "exceeding expectations" as long he doesn't walk out in the middle of it.
But no matter, :abuela: will prevail in the end.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Respect for all toxxing in the darkness of shook nate's nowcast

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Peztopiary posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqgz-G5OqXM&t=80s Honestly though, just watch the whole thing. An under-appreciated master.

speaking of gin and juice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok2g6M4wTeg :swoon:

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

This was in the video, but I feel compelled to post it on its own.

Cersei Lannister af

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
what booze should i buy for the debate? because there's no way i'm watching this poo poo sober.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Instant Sunrise posted:

what booze should i buy for the debate? because there's no way i'm watching this poo poo sober.

I plan on making Bailey's milkshakes, personally.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Respect for all toxxing in the darkness of shook nate's nowcast

No fear

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Instant Sunrise posted:

Something bottom-shelf, preferably in a clear plastic jug with a plain white label. Bonus points if the label contains serious spelling errors.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Lightning Knight posted:

I plan on making Bailey's milkshakes, personally.

I'm going full Reince, Bailey's on my cornflakes.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Instant Sunrise posted:

Whiskey sours, man.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

MC Nietzche posted:

I'm going full Reince, Bailey's on my cornflakes.

Mm, that actually sounds good.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Koalas March posted:

Whiskey sours, man.

Shelter for the storm (of lies).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Koalas March posted:

Whiskey sours, man.

Best Kelly