Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Also I dislike the style of Baki's artist so much, it just looks weird and offputting for every single character design I've seen from him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Warning tho: Survival is insanely depressing and the poor kid never gets any break for long, he's just always barely hanging on for life.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Lovely Soil http://bato.to/reader#f70520800364ba1f

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Erg posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kamisama-no-Iutoori

I was actually getting ready to link this, it's like a billion chapters long of death games

Yeah! That's the one, thanks. That's the first part, which is just 21 chapters. Then the sequel, Part 2, is still ongoing at 173 chapters. Like I said, it's been years, but I remember enjoying it. I'm going to pick it back up.

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kami-sama-no-Iutoori-Part-2

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Erg posted:

Also I dislike the style of Baki's artist so much, it just looks weird and offputting for every single character design I've seen from him
they are ground beef people, it's ugly as hell

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Erg posted:

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Kamisama-no-Iutoori

I was actually getting ready to link this, it's like a billion chapters long of death games

I can't check it right now, but is that the Daruma doll one? If not, i'll definitely have to dig that one out again, too. Can't believe i forgot about it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

HenryEx posted:

I can't check it right now, but is that the Daruma doll one? If not, i'll definitely have to dig that one out again, too. Can't believe i forgot about it.

Yep, it sure is.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Everyone feels that at first with baki but you get used to it. Also there's is no one who draws better fight scenes where you can actually understand what's going on and the impact of the fights like Baki's author. Dude is a genius.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
n o p e

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
If you can't stand baki then try Tough, which is basically the exact same loving thing but with saner art

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Going back to survival stuff, has anyone read Ibara no Ou?

From the synopsis, it covers the "people find themselves in post-apocalyptic world and have to survive" sub-genre.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Going back to survival stuff, has anyone read Ibara no Ou?

From the synopsis, it covers the "people find themselves in post-apocalyptic world and have to survive" sub-genre.

it's extremely fuckin' good

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Well, if that's not a ringing endorsement, I don't know what is.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Adding it to my to-read list, then.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
right, i remember that had an anime which was supposedly very bad for some reason. maybe it was just a movie?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

nerdz posted:

If you can't stand baki then try Tough, which is basically the exact same loving thing but with saner art

Tough is lesser Baki

It's basically the dollar store steak to Baki's dry aged Kobe which those with unrefined palates cannot appreciate because of the dry age "funk"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

For survival game poo poo there was a manga for Battle Royale. It... wasn't good.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

At least Battle Royale isn't Battle Royale 2.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can't get used to baki's faces, but at least it isn't as bad as battle royale 2. goddamn, those things were hideous.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

That Works posted:

For survival game poo poo there was a manga for Battle Royale. It... wasn't good.

I read it and yea I'll agree it wasn't good, but it was entertaining. Trashy, violent and a quick read.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Pewdiepie posted:

I read it and yea I'll agree it wasn't good, but it was entertaining. Trashy, violent and a quick read.

True, it was mercifully quick. Some bit of "hahaha holy poo poo this is really dumb" kind of enjoyment there but I couldn't really recommend it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

That Works posted:

When they localized that to English didn't they rewrite a bunch of it for no reason?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Erg posted:

it's extremely fuckin' good

OK, yeah, this is good. Time to binge.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AnonSpore posted:

Tough is lesser Baki

It's basically the dollar store steak to Baki's dry aged Kobe which those with unrefined palates cannot appreciate because of the dry age "funk"

I have to agree. Tough's author is way better when writing batshit crazy stories anyway, like Riki-OH

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain
Since we're on the topic of post-apocalyptic survival manga maybe with giant insects, I would like to wholeheartedly recommend 7 Seeds even if it isn't seinen. I think the best way to describe it would be survivalist dystopian horror shoujo. It's set after a meteor hits earth, and features a group of seven people attempting to survive in a giant-insect-laden future. It is exceptionally well-written (and has a female main character!), but the shoujo art style takes some getting used to.

Things it features: a lot of wilderness survival, giant cockroaches, flashbacks of how the world went to poo poo, loveable characters (they grow on you...well, most of them), survival game arc, and some very funny moments.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Thirty-Five Minutes posted:

Since we're on the topic of post-apocalyptic survival manga maybe with giant insects, I would like to wholeheartedly recommend 7 Seeds even if it isn't seinen. I think the best way to describe it would be survivalist dystopian horror shoujo. It's set after a meteor hits earth, and features a group of seven people attempting to survive in a giant-insect-laden future. It is exceptionally well-written (and has a female main character!), but the shoujo art style takes some getting used to.

Things it features: a lot of wilderness survival, giant cockroaches, flashbacks of how the world went to poo poo, loveable characters (they grow on you...well, most of them), survival game arc, and some very funny moments.

:stare:

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Thirty-Five Minutes posted:

7 Seeds is good. It's drat good. Not some trashy manga that you binge just for the cheap thrill of seeing people get killed. It's enthralling. Recommended.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i like to read 7 seeds in big chunks. i like it a lot when i do that and i kind of hate it when i read individual chapters as they come out.

coathat
May 21, 2007

She's one of the few Mangaka that's actually good at doing really long series.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Wonderland is really good. It's such a great concept that makes the post apocalyptic survival thing feel fresh.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Wonderland is really good. It's such a great concept that makes the post apocalyptic survival thing feel fresh.

It's still really funny to me that only about a day after the shrink apocalypse happened a bunch of dudes grabbed their mad max cosplay and stole all the remote control cars and decided to raid it up.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
That whole toy store scene was pure magic. The dog is especially amazing.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Are there any comfy post apocalypse manga with pretty scenery and a focus on a lot of the more mundane stuff rather than 24/7 despair and action?

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Are there any comfy post apocalypse manga with pretty scenery and a focus on a lot of the more mundane stuff rather than 24/7 despair and action?

First thing that comes to mind is YKK.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Shoujo Apocalypse Adventure is that and is also licensed now, i think.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Both of those look great. Thanks for the recs.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

There's Chikyuu no Houkago. It has serious moments, but it's mostly about some kids' daily lives after the rest of humanity vanishes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There's also Somali to Mori which is a seinen dad manga set in a fantasy world where mankind is nearly extinct.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

ai-ren

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Please, he wanted chill stuff, not a suicide pill.

(Ai-ren is extremely good, and it is often chill, but fluctuates a lot between that and the cripplingly terminal existence of both protagonists)