Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

Trump is so loving easily baited you just know that pudgy bastard is going to see that tweet and be tilted as gently caress going into the debate unless someone hits him with some goddamn Haldol or some poo poo.

I said they would troll Trump just before the debates, but it probably won't work because the Alt.right nazis have trapped Trump in his tanning bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

achillesforever6 posted:

Can someone tell me that its bullshit that Russia at anytime can launch an attack on Western Europe and would in a few days conquer at least 30 capitals because Russia has tons of tanks just waiting for the call to storm over like a great metal flood. And that NATO/US would totally be incapable of fighting back the mighty Russian onslaught.

woah what's it like commuting through time to 1946 every day for work

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

achillesforever6 posted:

Can someone tell me that its bullshit that Russia at anytime can launch an attack on Western Europe and would in a few days conquer at least 30 capitals because Russia has tons of tanks just waiting for the call to storm over like a great metal flood. And that NATO/US would totally be incapable of fighting back the mighty Russian onslaught. Couple of guys at work were talking about how Obama is a joke on foreign policy because he couldn't magically stop Russia from taking the Ukraine. That its his fault the Middle East is the way it is :psyduck:

Oh and that we don't have the guts or resolve like the WWII generation to do what is necessary to win a war (ergo we wouldn't nuke Russia to oblivion after they took over Portugal)

Its fun being the only outspoken liberal in a lab filled with smart people that are otherwise good people :negative:
I think they forgot about Poland. They have a sizable modern army that would repel Soviet Russian forces for a decent amount of time and then US forces in Germany (yes there are still some of those) joined them.

Say it just like that "You forgot about Poland"

edit: I've been reading a WitP:AE LP where everything is beefed up and the Soviets are in action on Dec 7 1941.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 27, 2016

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

achillesforever6 posted:

Can someone tell me that its bullshit that Russia at anytime can launch an attack on Western Europe and would in a few days conquer at least 30 capitals because Russia has tons of tanks just waiting for the call to storm over like a great metal flood. And that NATO/US would totally be incapable of fighting back the mighty Russian onslaught. Couple of guys at work were talking about how Obama is a joke on foreign policy because he couldn't magically stop Russia from taking the Ukraine. That its his fault the Middle East is the way it is :psyduck:

Oh and that we don't have the guts or resolve like the WWII generation to do what is necessary to win a war (ergo we wouldn't nuke Russia to oblivion after they took over Portugal)

Its fun being the only outspoken liberal in a lab filled with smart people that are otherwise good people :negative:

They wouldnt get to 30, because there aren't enough non-nuclear nations in europe. Also, the only to stop an all-out russian assualt like its 1965 and the ruskies could be heading down the fulda gap any day now would require cold war levels of military deployment in europe, and lol if anyone is gonna want to pay einsenhower level taxes to do it.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

achillesforever6 posted:

Can someone tell me that its bullshit that Russia at anytime can launch an attack on Western Europe and would in a few days conquer at least 30 capitals because Russia has tons of tanks just waiting for the call to storm over like a great metal flood.

It is bullshit, yes. Assuming you're talking about the Rand report, it assumes that basically every variable that could possibly go Russia's way, did, in fact, go Russia's way. It could conceivably happen, but it's extremely unlikely, and Putin's neither crazy nor an idiot. He knows the U.S.' response would, at its mildest, make such a campaign not worth it. I don't think Rand understands what the word "deterrence" means.

e: The report's "solution," which is to deploy seven brigades in Eastern Europe, is pretty dumb too. That would just spur Russia to build up its own forces along the border, creating more of a powder keg.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Sep 27, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

A Winner is Jew posted:

I think we can find some middle ground here.

Ratzinger gets incinerated.

Just when he thought he was finally free to spend the rest of his life doing what he truly loves: writing nerdy theology essays nobody cares about. :negative:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Just when he thought he was finally free to spend the rest of his life doing what he truly loves: writing nerdy theology essays nobody cares about. :negative:

and childrens books about cats

seriously

Bueno Papi
May 10, 2009

Majorian posted:

It is bullshit, yes. Assuming you're talking about the Rand report, it assumes that basically every variable that could possibly go Russia's way, did, in fact, go Russia's way. It could conceivably happen, but it's extremely unlikely, and Putin's neither crazy nor an idiot. He knows the U.S.' response would, at its mildest, make such a campaign not worth it.

Link to the report? For everything to go their way it would require Rumsfeld levels of probability. Does it include the total dissolution of NATO and a Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact style dividing up of Poland?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I am ready for tonight. Mind and body. Here we go.

Also, my absentee ballot came today. Putting an exclamation mark on tonight.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

seriously

livin the dream

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

highme posted:

In the photo or the painting? Because that's what one of the whitest fuckers in America looks like.

The painting.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

seriously

OH MY GOD :3:

LITERALLY THE BEST SEMI-AUTOBIOGRAPHY BY ANY POPE EVER

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nocturtle posted:

Trump will lose, you can't win with just racist whites anymore. However 6 months ago I'd never have predicted Trump would be polling within MOE of Clinton anywhere that matters or have >5% chance of winning on 538/PEC/whatever. The general is not the Republican primary, Trump is historically unqualified, he's alienated nearly demographic, the Democrats could nominate a paper bag etc etc etc. Guess I'm dumb!

Unrelated, it's fun to contrast Trump now with McGovern's experience in 1972. Both won highly contested primaries against the party establishment's candidate. The Democratic establishment proceeded to all but abandon McGovern, while the current Republican leadership have almost completely fallen in line behind Trump. McGovern's sins (from Wikipedia):

Meanwhile McCain et al are fine with Donald "Expel all Muslims" Trump.

Establishment Republicans are lining up behind Trump because they want to replace Scalia. If Clinton wins, she gets to replace one of the most conservative SCOTUS Justices with, well, just about anyone to the left of Scalia but with the possibility of it being someone far left of Scalia. The GOP would also like to be in charge when replacing the Notorious RBG and push the court even further to the right. She's a fighter, but she's no Spring chicken. And if Trump was Pres and she passed away on Oct 31 2020 a GOP Senate would fast track the nomination process. Opprotunistic bastards the lot of them.

Oof, my hatred is building.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Words getting out that there's a bomb in Columbia Presbyterian hospital in northern Manhattan. Police are already there disarming it.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
und zen ze little kitties who did not recognize ze authority of Mother Church went to hell und burned for eternity!!

guten nacht, mein kinder!

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Bueno Papi posted:

Link to the report? For everything to go their way it would require Rumsfeld levels of probability. Does it include the total dissolution of NATO and a Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact style dividing up of Poland?

There are like three entrire sub-forums on SA alone for these god damned questions. Does Bewbies read this thread?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

seriously

Yes yes I know he was required to join the Hitler Youth and deserted his post when he could, but how could I pass up Hitler Cat when it showed up as the side image.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Nessus posted:

I think the Republicans are more in favor of someone who will give them a SCOTUS justice to replace Scalia, and would probably actually sacrifice their collective firstborn if it meant they would get it.

This is the reason I worry a bit that Republican turnout could be better than usual. They have to win this simply because if they don't it means the SCOTUS, their final bulwark against progress, is lost. It will immediately have a more liberal majority and could even see RBG retire which under a GOP president means going to a 6-3 conservative majority with a 5-4 for pretty much all right-wing things including striking down SSM and a bunch of things Kennedy didn't go along with (or Roberts in the case of the ACA). Among cases that will be heard in future is a lawsuit against NC over its Gerrymandering. I'm extremely skeptical of the SCOTUS wanting to actually have to take on that case but if they do I'd like to have a liberal-majority bench hearing it and not the current 8 + a Donald Trump pick since any hopes of ending Gerrymandering would be DOA considering he's touted how his picks are a list curated by Conservative groups.

Like when crazy militia assholes talk about getting violent if she wins I wouldn't be surprised if some actually do snap because her victory is literally an end to their way of life and the last remaining defense for their bigotry.

Internet Webguy posted:

X-posting from C-SPAM. Hillary decides that now is a good time to participate in flashback Monday.

It's wonderful because she knows full well that Obama torching him at the dinner is part of why he's running. Though if he wins his #1 desire for revenge is going to be destroying Barack Obama completely and utterly like Cersei going after the Shame Nun.

CannonFodder posted:

Establishment Republicans are lining up behind Trump because they want to replace Scalia. If Clinton wins, she gets to replace one of the most conservative SCOTUS Justices with, well, just about anyone to the left of Scalia but with the possibility of it being someone far left of Scalia. The GOP would also like to be in charge when replacing the Notorious RBG and push the court even further to the right. She's a fighter, but she's no Spring chicken. And if Trump was Pres and she passed away on Oct 31 2020 a GOP Senate would fast track the nomination process. Opprotunistic bastards the lot of them.

Oof, my hatred is building.

If Trump wins a justice could pass away in December 2020 and they'd still fast track a replacement if Trump had lost reelection.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
OH God.

I'm getting nervous for this debate.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Deep breaths. Deep breaths. It'll all be over soon.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

It's bullshit. Russia's military is not actually that strong. Yeah they're a big country and they have a big military budget and a big population, but there is a shitload of corruption and a shitload of other problems in the Russian military, have been for a long time. It's been strengthened somewhat under Putin but the idea that Russia, on its own, could somehow beat the technologically and doctrinally advanced militaries of proper European countries like Poland, Germany, France, and Italy together is ludicrous, especially considering even just the amount of troops they've deployed to fight Ukraine, a state far weaker politically, economically, and militarily than any of the major European states, has been putting strain on the Russian military's logistics. This is before you even get into the underlying weakness of the Russian economy due to low oil prices.

Russia is a threat to its smaller neighbours like Georgia and Ukraine. Russia is a threat to relatively weak (in formal military terms) opponents like the Syrian opposition.

Russia is not a threat to Europe.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Trump wins a justice could pass away in December 2020 and they'd still fast track a replacement if Trump had lost reelection.
Get out of here with your totally plausible scenarios.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Errant Gin Monks posted:

OH God.

I'm getting nervous for this debate.

Why? If it goes poorly, just turn off the TV, look out the window in to the darkness, and play the Sound of Silence in the background.

Also appropriate, Dust in the Wind.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

und zen ze little kitties who did not recognize ze authority of Mother Church went to hell und burned for eternity!!

guten nacht, mein kinder!

this summer: cardinal ratzinger is...the struwwelpeter

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Petr posted:

Smart, good, conservative: pick two
They have to be smart to do what they do (making coatings for dye sublimation products) and they treat me well enough and don't openly hate my guts; a lot of the time its just loving around to get someone riled up. Like the one guy I know loving hates Trump and is voting for Hillary, but he thinks this whole election is a joke and other stuff like that NYC bomber shouldn't get due process and that you have to be X smart to vote.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

HannibalBarca posted:

Deep breaths. Deep breaths. It'll all be over soon.

Not for eight years, friend

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

achillesforever6 posted:

Ask your friends why they even give a poo poo about the ME, Europe or Ukraine? We get less than 5% of our oil from the ME, we're just defending everyone else's source of oil. Ask if they would enlist if we went to war with Russia or want their kids to enlist?

gently caress Europe and the ME.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Trump has decided to post a fake Nate Silver map before tonight's debate.
https://www.facebook.com/DonaldTrump/photos/a.488852220724.393301.153080620724/10157767440935725/?type=3&theater

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

vyelkin posted:

It's bullshit. Russia's military is not actually that strong. Yeah they're a big country and they have a big military budget and a big population, but there is a shitload of corruption and a shitload of other problems in the Russian military, have been for a long time. It's been strengthened somewhat under Putin but the idea that Russia, on its own, could somehow beat the technologically and doctrinally advanced militaries of proper European countries like Poland, Germany, France, and Italy together is ludicrous, especially considering even just the amount of troops they've deployed to fight Ukraine, a state far weaker politically, economically, and militarily than any of the major European states, has been putting strain on the Russian military's logistics. This is before you even get into the underlying weakness of the Russian economy due to low oil prices.

Russia is a threat to its smaller neighbours like Georgia and Ukraine. Russia is a threat to relatively weak (in formal military terms) opponents like the Syrian opposition.

Russia is not a threat to Europe.

Not to mention Russian Engineering isn't exactly quality.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

achillesforever6 posted:

They have to be smart to do what they do (making coatings for dye sublimation products) and they treat me well enough and don't openly hate my guts; a lot of the time its just loving around to get someone riled up. Like the one guy I know loving hates Trump and is voting for Hillary, but he thinks this whole election is a joke and other stuff like that NYC bomber shouldn't get due process and that you have to be X smart to vote.

Well then I think we've firmly established that "good" is the loser!

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

achillesforever6 posted:

Could they attack? Sure. Will they attack? Probably not. Russia is hemorrhaging money because they can't sell their oil above fifty dollars a barrel and are expected to run out of liquid cash sometime in the middle of next year. All they'll have left after that are pensions and taking money from pensioners including one's own military is not a good idea if you want to keep things stable. Veterans of the Russian army don't go in because it's their patriotic duty anymore and haven't for a long time. It's where they go to learn a trade and make some cash.

As for winning a war, launching nuclear weapons means everyone loses. Everyone. Nukes aren't meant to be used and anyone who uses them will not only crash they world's economy but will doom their own country unless it's in a flurry of other nuclear launches (as they'll be pretty hosed) and will guarantee that everyone will stop trading with them and that assassinations, missile strikes and invasions are happening yesterday. The country that does it gets crushed.

WW2 is a different animal though. The Americans got off easy because they were primarily liberating occupied territory and then absolutely crushed the Germans who had so very little manpower left to resist. Japanese spirits were crushed by two atomic bombs and before that massive amount of fire raids in which cities were bathed in fire because their military industrial complex were being produced in homes and not factories at the end of the war.

I think that "winning" war for Americans is so much harder now because what we're willing and what other countries are willing to accept in terms of atrocities are in a phrase, "Not much". Iraq and Afghanistan could have been won quickly if Americans abandoned morality and embraced something horrible like genocide. However the American people wouldn't have stood for genocide nor would the world. It would create so many more problems than it would solve and did not at all align with the war goals of the US. The US likes stability and wants to bring stability to the world under the guise of bringing democracy.

So if someone casually talks about ending wars by dropping nukes on troops or even population centers they don't seem to understand that other nations can do that right back. Russia is one of those nations. Americans are hilariously unlikely to be killed by terrorism. It's political action. It's theater to get the US to overreact and harm itself. A real war with Russia should be taken far, far more seriously by your average American but they don't. Instead they care about Wahhabist spree killings which are amazingly rare.

Anyway, Russia could declare war on but not hold thirty capitals. They don't have the manpower or money to maintain sustained operations. They couldn't hold anything they took nor could they keep it. Their money has inflated by 50% since they invaded Crimea and even then they're running out of money.

The US is actually pretty decent at fighting conventional wars which is what Russia would probably launch. It would take time to mobilize but the Russians can't win. They sure as hell can make sure everyone loses though.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Guarantee he cites that map.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Isn't that just the now cast from 538 on Sunday? I don't think it's actually fake

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

rscott posted:

Isn't that just the now cast from 538 on Sunday? I don't think it's actually fake

I believe it's from earlier today when Nate was having some kind of breakdown.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

achillesforever6 posted:

Can someone tell me that its bullshit that Russia at anytime can launch an attack on Western Europe and would in a few days conquer at least 30 capitals because Russia has tons of tanks just waiting for the call to storm over like a great metal flood.

Saying Russia's army could roll out and crush 30 nations and their capitols in only a matter of days is laughable. It's like saying pre-WWI Germany can just storm France and seize Paris in under 2 weeks. It ain't happening no matter how many pixies Putin grinds into dust to fuel his wishing machine. And unlike the German High Command, Putin is smart enough to realize it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

achillesforever6 posted:

I only have one word for you, one word:

Logistics.

A modern military requires a massive amount of logistics to keep it fueled, fed, and filled with firepower. Even in the height of WWII's mobilization it was a nightmare for the US and the USSR. Logistical chains are also very nice and juicy targets for air interdiction.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

DemeaninDemon posted:

Not to mention Russian Engineering isn't exactly quality.

Whatever are you talking about товарищ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yymGgn2cfG0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77j4GEZVNWA

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

achillesforever6 posted:

An industrialized nation state getting into a conventional mechanized war with a 21st century United States would be the most stupid thing in the history of geopolitics.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
From a few pages back now probably:

Not as good as Jerry Brown's IMHO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

An industrialized nation state getting into a conventional mechanized war with a 21st century United States would be the most stupid thing in the history of geopolitics.

well to continue the dumb hypothetical, what if say russia for some idiotic reason decided to nuke ukraine.

would the rest of the world be obligated to invade and depose putin? would his own people do it?

clancychat.txt

• Locked thread