Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Evergreen anonymous liberal quotes

quote:

One federal official said that Mr. Dion was simply flustered about semantics when he denied the launch of talks: “Preliminary discussions are a precursor to negotiations and those discussions have only just begun.”

Still, another senior Liberal added: “I’m not clear what [Mr. Dion] was trying to say.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
How many of you slobbering patriotic Canadians have heard about Charles urban planning hobby? Or his reverence for alt med

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

StealthArcher posted:

I'm certain he's trying some ~~*massive pwnge*~~ by suggesting our system (a not tricameral, not the US system) would somehow result in the pretty loving powerless and neutered position of Governor General having a *gasp* person we don't like in it.

Woo boy.

Pull the scepter out of your mouth already.

And aside, yes, yes it is. Go gently caress yourself sucking up to the poo poo that is monarchy.

Look at this fuckin' guy

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

THC posted:

I cannot tell the difference between the real world and tumblr.

Lookit this fake rear end quote.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Pinterest Mom posted:

Evergreen anonymous liberal quotes

"A proof is a proof."

ocrumsprug posted:

I quite appreciated the allusion to some horrifying vision of a future President O'Leary, when the actual future is an actual King Charles.

:allears:

I was about to say 'George' but as regnal names go, for his reputation, Charles would be a perfect match.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

StealthArcher posted:

I'm certain he's trying some ~~*massive pwnge*~~ by suggesting our system (a not tricameral, not the US system) would somehow result in the pretty loving powerless and neutered position of Governor General having a *gasp* person we don't like in it.

Woo boy.

Pull the scepter out of your mouth already.

And aside, yes, yes it is. Go gently caress yourself sucking up to the poo poo that is monarchy.

If you think having an elected head of state would not result in an eventual occupant of that office attempting to exercise actual power and claiming a democratic mandate to do so, you're a fool.

But be sure to keep up the substance-free bleating about how bad the monarchy is. Just proves how little some Canadians know about Canada.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Look between Harper and Charles I'd take Charles and his divine rule.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Speaking of monarchs, I hope people are excited for the debate later tonight when the Americans will choose our new ruler for us.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Helsing posted:

Speaking of monarchs, I hope people are excited for the debate later tonight when the Americans will choose our new ruler for us.

I'm excited. I'm the most excited. My excitement is YOOGE AND LUXURIOUS god help us all if the spray-tan fascist gets in

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

tagesschau posted:

If you think having an elected head of state would not result in an eventual occupant of that office attempting to exercise actual power and claiming a democratic mandate to do so, you're a fool.

But be sure to keep up the substance-free bleating about how bad the monarchy is. Just proves how little some Canadians know about Canada.

Just get rid of the monarchy altogether and have the Prime Minister be head of state and head of government since functionally that's what it is anyway because governors-general haven't rejected our PMs' requests since the King-Byng affair so we just waste a ton of money on having a monarchy and maintaining a governor-general and hosting royal visits. The monarchy is a vestigial organ that we pay actual real world taxpayer money to maintain and also I don't want Charles' face on every coin and $20 bill.

Don't get rid of the monarchy and replace it with an elected president. Don't get rid of the monarchy and still have appointed governors-general hanging around serving at the pleasure of the PM. Just get rid of the monarchy because it is a useless waste of money.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Helsing posted:

I live in the US these days so I'm super excited to find out who the new God-Emperor of Earth is going to be.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

It'd be fair to say that I'm jacked to the loving tits but I'm trying not to get too excited, I think she'll pull out last minute.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/780451000725495810

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

tagesschau posted:

lol if you think the Governor General would stop any of this from happening.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Helsing posted:

Here's the link to the Bloomberg stream, which will apparently have a live fact checking overlay during the debate. I know Canadians love facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DEZA8uTxeY&feature=youtu.be

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Ikantski posted:

It'd be fair to say that I'm jacked to the loving tits but I'm trying not to get too excited, I think she'll pull out last minute.

https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/780451000725495810

I too am psyched for the end of NATO and NAFTA :unsmigghh:

a fleshy snood posted:

Here's the link to the Bloomberg stream, which will apparently have a live fact checking overlay during the debate. I know Canadians love facts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DEZA8uTxeY&feature=youtu.be

gently caress that, I want a livefeed of Paul Krugman's heart rate monitor.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

vyelkin posted:

Just get rid of the monarchy altogether and have the Prime Minister be head of state and head of government since functionally that's what it is anyway because governors-general haven't rejected our PMs' requests since the King-Byng affair so we just waste a ton of money on having a monarchy and maintaining a governor-general and hosting royal visits. The monarchy is a vestigial organ that we pay actual real world taxpayer money to maintain and also I don't want Charles' face on every coin and $20 bill.

Good thing the new bills last longer than the old ones. (Don't they?) Call your MP and tell them you want the government to print some extra $20s and keep them in reserve.

DariusLikewise posted:

lol if you think the Governor General would stop any of this from happening.

Wait, what? An elected GG/president is more likely to cause it to happen. What happens if we have a minority government, someone ideologically opposed to that government gets elected president, dismisses the government and installs his preferred party leader as PM, or just outright dissolves the House early if it looks like his side will win? What if the president refuses to grant assent to bills he doesn't like?

The current system has been really good at not loving things up too badly.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

tagesschau posted:

Good thing the new bills last longer than the old ones. (Don't they?) Call your MP and tell them you want the government to print some extra $20s and keep them in reserve.

Wait, what? An elected GG/president is more likely to cause it to happen. What happens if we have a minority government, someone ideologically opposed to that government gets elected president, dismisses the government and installs his preferred party leader as PM, or just outright dissolves the House early if it looks like his side will win? What if the president refuses to grant assent to bills he doesn't like?

The current system has been really good at not loving things up too badly.

If we're imaging that the political will exists to abolish the monarchy then I'm not sure why we're assuming that we couldn't change the powers of the governor general as well.

And while Canada's done a reasonably good job of avoiding sectarian conflicts in a diverse and complicated country, a lot of the success of our "system" probably has more to do with geographical, political and demographic factors that we don't really control. Being a wealthy white-majority country in North America is sort of like playing on easy mode. Put the Canadian constitutional arrangements in Africa or South America or Asia and we'd probably have had a coup or revolution by now.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

vyelkin posted:

Don't get rid of the monarchy and replace it with an elected president. Don't get rid of the monarchy and still have appointed governors-general hanging around serving at the pleasure of the PM. Just get rid of the monarchy because it is a useless waste of money.

:agreed:

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Of all the monarchist arguments, the notion that Governors General only behave because of the Queen is the one I understand least. Just keep the GG, appointed by the PM (maybe w a 2/3 of parliament consensus requirement) and have them serve the same function as they do now.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
:qq: We don't know how to operate in a competitive environment :qq:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/shomi-shut-down-1.3779675 posted:

Video streaming service Shomi announced Monday it will shut down at the end of November, two years after it launched.

"The business climate and online video marketplace have changed markedly in the last few years," David Asch, senior vice-president and general manager for Shomi, said in a statement.

"Combined with the fact that the business is more challenging to operate than we expected, we've decided to wind down our operations."

Asch said the company remains proud of the service it launched and the role it play in evolving video landscape in Canada.

Shomi was launched by Rogers and Shaw in November 2014 in an effort to grab the attention of a growing number of people watching TV and movies online.

It was seen as a competitor to Netflix and other similar web streaming services.

"We tried something new, and customers who used Shomi loved it," Melani Griffith, senior vice-president of content at Rogers, said in another statement.

"It's like a great cult favourite with a fantastic core audience that unfortunately just isn't big enough to be renewed for another season."

Rogers said it expects to incur a loss on investment of approximately $100 million to $140 million in its third quarter, which ends Friday.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:lol: of course it failed

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

:shrug: I like it. They have a bunch of things that Netflix doesn't.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Not surprising in the least. I can only dream that some of that content will become available on Canadian Netflix now but I'm sure it won't

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

Monsef case highlights absurdity of citizenship law, lawyers say

Maryam Monsef could be stripped of her citizenship without a hearing under a law the Liberals denounced while in opposition but which they’ve been enforcing aggressively since taking power, civil liberties and refugee lawyers say.

The democratic institutions minister revealed last week that she was born in Iran, not Afghanistan as she’d long believed. She said her mother, who fled Afghanistan with her daughters when Monsef was 11, didn’t think it mattered where the minister was born since she was still legally considered an Afghan citizen.

Monsef has said she will have to correct her birthplace information on her passport.

If Monsef’s birthplace was misrepresented on her refugee claim and was relevant to the ruling on her case, her citizenship could be revoked, regardless of whether it was an innocent mistake or the fault of her mother, said immigration lawyer Lorne Waldman.

She could even be deported, said Waldman, part of a group that launched a constitutional challenge of the law Monday.

The minister’s office did not respond to a question about the place of birth recorded on Monsef’s citizenship, permanent residency and refugee applications, saying in a statement only that the minister “is committed to addressing this matter and has stated she will work to resolve it.”

The Canadian Association of Refugee Lawyers and the British Columbia Civil Liberties Association argue that the citizenship revocation law, known as Bill C-24, is procedurally unfair and a violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Josh Paterson, the BCCLA’s executive director, said Monsef’s case demonstrates the absurdity of the law, which was passed by the previous Conservative government.

“The minister’s situation ... is exactly the kind of situation that many other Canadians are facing right now because of this unjust process,” Paterson told a news conference.

“When we get a parking ticket, we have a right to a court hearing ... You leave your garbage in the wrong place and you get a ticket, you have the right to a hearing and yet for citizens to lose their entitlement to membership in Canada based on allegations of something they may or may not have said 20 years ago, they have no hearing? It just doesn’t make any sense.”

When he was in opposition, John McCallum denounced the law as “dictatorial” and since becoming immigration minister, he’s promised to amend it to create an appeal process, Paterson said.

Nevertheless, repeated requests that the government stop enforcing the law until it can be changed have been ignored. As recently as two weeks ago, Paterson said Justice Department lawyers informed his group that the law would continue to be enforced.

Indeed, he said the Liberal government has been enforcing the law “aggressively,” setting targets to strip 40 to 60 Canadians each month of their citizenship.

McCallum said Monday that the government is “certainly considering options for changes” in the law. He did not say why the government is enforcing it with such zeal in the meantime.

His department, meanwhile, denied that it imposes a target for the number of revocations each month. But it does have “performance standards targets” to ensure it has the resources to efficiently review and resolve cases.

Waldman said he’ll be in court next month on a case similar to Monsef’s, in which “the government is seeking to revoke the citizenship of two children who came to Canada at a very young age, not because of anything they said but because their father allegedly misrepresented on his application for permanent residence.”

“So even though the children are completely innocent ... the government is still going after the children, saying that because their father lied on his application, they should lose their citizenship and their permanent residence as well,” Waldman said.

Under the law, a single government official acts as investigator, prosecutor and decision-maker, Waldman said. A person who receives a notice of citizenship revocation has no right to a hearing or an appeal and has no chance to argue that he or she ought to retain citizenship on humanitarian grounds.

The Federal Court issued a temporary stay of proceedings in a number of revocation cases earlier this year, but Waldman said that relief is available only to those who can afford a lawyer.

The purpose of Monday’s legal challenge is to win a stay for all Canadians who face the loss of their citizenship.

Earlier Monday at an electoral reform event, Monsef shrugged off a suggestion from Conservative leadership contender Tony Clement that she should step down as minister pending an investigation into her citizenship application process.

The confusion over her birthplace is “a very big deal for me personally and for my family,” she said.

“But who I am has not changed and this is something that my family and I will work out together. However, my commitment to Peterborough-Kawartha, my commitment to this file, they’ve not changed.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...lick=sf_globefb

gently caress the Liberals

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Whoah now just give them time to sort out the issues, sheesh you loving leftists just want trudeau to wave a magic wand and fix everything instantly, it's not that simple and I for one am cautiously optimistic

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

It's almost like C-24 is a horrible piece of legislation that should've been repealed the second the Libs took power. gently caress knows they've had time, who was it that reported that from a legislative standpoint, this government is the most indolent one we've seen in a long time?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

It's almost like C-24 is a horrible piece of legislation that should've been repealed the second the Libs took power. gently caress knows they've had time, who was it that reported that from a legislative standpoint, this government is the most indolent one we've seen in a long time?

That was me, 9 pieces of legislation passed in their first year apparently, lowest for two decades (including multiple minority governments).

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

vyelkin posted:

That was me, 9 pieces of legislation passed in their first year apparently, lowest for two decades (including multiple minority governments).

All I can think of is Obama's first year all over again.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

When nothing got done in the past we could at least point to parties squabbling as a reason.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

vyelkin posted:

For comparison, after the 2011 election the Harper government passed as many bills in it's first 23 days as the Liberals have passed in 9 months.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Brannock posted:

All I can think of is Obama's first year all over again.

I'm really looking forward to this happening again if Hillary wins.There's really a ton of progressive poo poo she's just waiting to do guys.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
As if you'd complain about the number of bills. The budget was enormous and provided huge cash to any refugees, first Nations and other medium or low income parents.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

There's no question the Liberals are spending a lot more money than Harper, and a lot of it is money that a bleeding heart like myself is glad to see spent, but there are also a bunch of prominent, big ticket issues that they promised to deal with and still haven't done anything about after a year in office.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

flakeloaf posted:

:shrug: I like it. They have a bunch of things that Netflix doesn't.

Netflix doesn't have it because of Shomi.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

There's no question the Liberals are spending a lot more money than Harper, and a lot of it is money that a bleeding heart like myself is glad to see spent, but there are also a bunch of prominent.

That certainly is the perception they're going for.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/pbo-forecasts-slide-in-value-of-payments-under-child-benefit-program/article31659685/

quote:

In a report released Thursday, the parliamentary budget officer said the benefit doesn’t automatically adjust for inflation, which means the number of families who qualify will decline in the long run.

While 91 per cent of families, or almost 3.6 million, are eligible for benefits this year, that proportion will fall to 86 per cent, or about 3.4 million, by 2021 and will continue to drop as some families see their income levels rise, the report said.

That could change, however, as the Liberals intend to index the Canada Child Benefit to inflation — meaning that over time, inflation won’t reduce the buying power, or so-called “real value,” of the monthly payments — starting in 2020, one year after the next federal election.

By waiting until after the election to index the benefit, the Liberals could be saving themselves billions of dollars. The PBO calculations estimate that over the next five years, the net cost to the federal treasury will be $17.2 billion, instead of the $42.4 billion the PBO estimates it would cost if the benefit kept pace with inflation and rising incomes.

Absent any changes to the program, the PBO predicts that by 2025, the new Liberal benefit will cost less than the three programs it replaced — the universal child care benefit, the Canada child tax benefit and the national child benefit supplement.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Not to give the Liberals an excuse, but the cons were already in power for several years at that point. It's a bad comparison. A better comparison is to the first Chretien government, which passed 34 bills in the same period.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

I'm not saying they aren't cutting spending in some areas --just look at their continuation of Harper's cuts to health transfer payments -- but not all of the deficit is going to "middle class" tax cuts..

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Helsing posted:

I'm not saying they aren't cutting spending in some areas --just look at their continuation of Harper's cuts to health transfer payments -- but not all of the deficit is going to "middle class" tax cuts..

Is it a cut to health transfer payments or are they slowing the growth of the payments? There's a difference between "I was going to give you 10 but now I'm only giving you 9" and "I was going to raise your payments from 10 to 12 but now I'm only raising them to 11". When people hear "cuts" they think of the former.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Time wasted passing bills could be better spent chasing photo ops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I'm so happy that I can be deported from this country even though I was born here. It's too bad a bunch of you dipshits see it as okay to harass others to the point where we have an echo chamber full of people who cannot see that the Liberals are going to drag their feet on this issue. It was better when we had actual dipshit Conservative opinions in here rather than endless pages of PT6A fellatio.