Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

the Gaiark wanted to pollute Earth to make it a paradise for them.

The Go-Ongers should have sent them to Jupiter. It's probably super toxic up there for em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

mateo360 posted:

Also, why can't I actually find the exact quote for that or a picture of it as a meme?

Frinkiac is your friend.

https://frinkiac.com/caption/S05E14/1269100

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Was checking this youtube channel I like to watch for it's videos showing off various Sentai toys(Le Dihn Bao for those curious), and it's newest video shows the DX toy for the Magma Base/Max Magma from Fiveman and jeez is that bastard HUGE, probably the biggest Sentai toy I've ever seen from a size and height perspective(probably quite a few that are heavier though as it's pretty hollow and doesn't appear to have any electronics in it), at least for a single unit robot

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
Holy poo poo, you guys, this weeks Ultraman Orb fight.

Stop hitting yourself with your own tail, maga-orochi, why are you running into all of these buildings?? :unsmigghh:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Skeep posted:

Holy poo poo, you guys, this weeks Ultraman Orb fight.

Stop hitting yourself with your own tail, maga-orochi, why are you running into all of these buildings?? :unsmigghh:

Yeah Orb has been great so far, it's probably in my top 4 Ultra series' alongside Mebius, X and Tiga. Nexus would be higher on the list but so far I'm running into the same problem with it that I had with Faiz: a large majority of the characters are terrible people in some way or another. This might change later on though as I'm still only a few episodes in Speaking of Faiz, Ultraseven X is also giving me a similar vibe at least as far as setting and tone goes (the government in that series is basically Smart Brain on a larger scale). By the way, has anyone subbed Ultraseven X besides TV-Nihon (though to be fair it's not the worst effort I've seen from them)?.

I kind of hope the next series that follows this is a little longer though as for some reason every series after Mebius has only been a little over 20 episodes long at most.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 24, 2016

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

Larryb posted:

By the way, has anyone subbed Ultraseven X besides TV-Nihon (though to be fair it's not the worst effort I've seen from them)?.

The whole show is on Netflix, if you're willing to hunt a Latinamerican VPN that works and also know how to read spanish or portuguese.

Also, never forget

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Yeah Orb has been great so far, it's probably in my top 4 Ultra series' alongside Mebius, X and Tiga. Nexus would be higher on the list but so far I'm running into the same problem with it that I had with Faiz: a large majority of the characters are terrible people in some way or another. This might change later on though as I'm still only a few episodes in Speaking of Faiz, Ultraseven X is also giving me a similar vibe at least as far as setting and tone goes (the government in that series is basically Smart Brain on a larger scale). By the way, has anyone subbed Ultraseven X besides TV-Nihon (though to be fair it's not the worst effort I've seen from them)?.

I kind of hope the next series that follows this is a little longer though as for some reason every series after Mebius has only been a little over 20 episodes long at most.

How many episodes are you into Nexus? Because character development is a hell of a thing on that show. Especially when you know the ultimate twist.

UltraSeven X is something you just need to watch through as it's only 12 episodes. You'll start noticing the themes it has, and its answer to "Evil Government With Total Control" is kind of brilliant and amazing. Seven X is flawed in one respect- it is done entirely in the style of the original series, just updated, but that includes how UltraSeven doesn't really gently caress around with fighting. The problem is, there are no villains really powerful enough to survive that. So a lot of the fights are very short.

Sadly only TV-N has subbed Seven X, but thankfully it's not the worst job they've done like their Nexus subs. Nothing makes negative sense as far as I am aware.

For episode count...

Yeah. I hope we get some longer shows soon. Tsuburaya seems to be on an upswing so we'll see.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Burkion posted:

How many episodes are you into Nexus? Because character development is a hell of a thing on that show. Especially when you know the ultimate twist.

UltraSeven X is something you just need to watch through as it's only 12 episodes. You'll start noticing the themes it has, and its answer to "Evil Government With Total Control" is kind of brilliant and amazing. Seven X is flawed in one respect- it is done entirely in the style of the original series, just updated, but that includes how UltraSeven doesn't really gently caress around with fighting. The problem is, there are no villains really powerful enough to survive that. So a lot of the fights are very short.

Sadly only TV-N has subbed Seven X, but thankfully it's not the worst job they've done like their Nexus subs. Nothing makes negative sense as far as I am aware.

For episode count...

Yeah. I hope we get some longer shows soon. Tsuburaya seems to be on an upswing so we'll see.

Yeah I'm already about halfway through Seven X, just commenting how bleak this series seems to be compared to all the others.

As for Nexus I'm about 5 episodes in (and this show probably has the record for the quickest time it takes for an Ultraman's identity to be exposed). Don't get me wrong, it's a good show but so far at least it's really hard for me to like a lot of these people (though they probably get better later on). As for episode count, has there been a reason why the shows following Mebius have been so short lately? Orb is probably the longest so far as it's been established there will be 25 episodes (though Ginga technically beats it out if you count it and Ginga S as one show).

Speaking of Ginga, that show sure...exists. I don't outright hate it so far but I can't exactly call it good either. (Though from what I hear, Ginga S does fix a lot of the problems the first season had).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Sep 24, 2016

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

I'm about 5 episodes in (and this show probably has the record for the quickest time it takes for an Ultraman's identity to be exposed). Don't get me wrong, it's a good show but so far at least it's really hard for me to like a lot of these people (though they probably get better later on). As for episode count, has there been a reason why the shows following Mebius have been so short lately? Orb is probably the longest so far as it's been established there will be 25 episodes (though Ginga technically beats it out if you count it and Ginga S as one show).

Speaking of Ginga, that show sure...exists. I don't outright hate it so far but I can't exactly call it good either. (Though from what I hear, Ginga S does fix a lot of the problems the first season had).

The first 15 or so episodes of Nexus form the first major arc. The characters really start to gel by that point because you really start to understand what kind of shitshow is going on. In a good way.

Tsuburaya was hit hard by economic crap and their legal battles with Chaiyo, a group that fraudulently claim that they have ownership of Ultraman as well due to some really shady bullshit. As that is an international issue, it drained what the company could do for a while. Not helping was the fact that Tsuburaya was being bought out by other Japanese companies at the time, until finally settling down just before they started Ginga.

Ginga was basically their first attempt at a new series with Bandai helping more than they had in the past, X was their first 'full' series after that settling. Orb is a good sign of where things are going for them as a company I think.

Even better is that apparently, if I remember correctly, Orb is getting an Amazon spin off later this year, like Kamen Rider Amazons.

Very curious to see what they do with that.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
handbrake has stopped wanting to burn in subtitles. this makes it hard to say load up a flash drive of old sentai and plug it into my playstation to watch on the tv

does anyone have a recommendation for another video encoder or a solution for this or something

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Xvid4PSP 5, it has subtitle support and has preset profiles for PS3 and PSP. (Mind the 5, 7 has no subtitle support)

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Having finished Ghost last night, (ramrodded the last 5 eps, was catching up on Dr. Who. All of it. Marathon style.) I can say that it wasn't very good, but it wasn't very bad either. Nininger was way worse, and there have definitely been long-coated riders that have blown so much more rear end than Ghost did. His only crime was being overshadowed by his supporting cast and his villain being pretty monolithic, personality-less evil. The problem is it came off of a really great season like Drive, so it was overshined.

I have to say though, he beat the final boss in his base form, and I can't remember the last time that happened.

Dark Ex-aid's bike-fu was pretty cool. Shame about the design.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Having finished Ghost last night, (ramrodded the last 5 eps, was catching up on Dr. Who. All of it. Marathon style.) I can say that it wasn't very good, but it wasn't very bad either. Nininger was way worse, and there have definitely been long-coated riders that have blown so much more rear end than Ghost did. His only crime was being overshadowed by his supporting cast and his villain being pretty monolithic, personality-less evil. The problem is it came off of a really great season like Drive, so it was overshined.

I have to say though, he beat the final boss in his base form, and I can't remember the last time that happened.

Dark Ex-aid's bike-fu was pretty cool. Shame about the design.

Fourze did it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Fourze did it

So did Wizard (and Gaim technically seeing as the "final" opponent in that show was the same guy from the movie).

Burkion posted:

The first 15 or so episodes of Nexus form the first major arc. The characters really start to gel by that point because you really start to understand what kind of shitshow is going on. In a good way.

Tsuburaya was hit hard by economic crap and their legal battles with Chaiyo, a group that fraudulently claim that they have ownership of Ultraman as well due to some really shady bullshit. As that is an international issue, it drained what the company could do for a while. Not helping was the fact that Tsuburaya was being bought out by other Japanese companies at the time, until finally settling down just before they started Ginga.

Ginga was basically their first attempt at a new series with Bandai helping more than they had in the past, X was their first 'full' series after that settling. Orb is a good sign of where things are going for them as a company I think.

I'm guessing that's the reason that Ultra Galaxy and Ginga were split into two shows each to begin with as well, makes sense. But it looks like their total episode count has been increasing with each season so at this rate it seems like they'll be back up to normal pretty soon.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 24, 2016

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Fourze did it

So the uglier the final form, the more likely they are to go back to the awesome base form to finish the fight. Good enough.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I talked to one of Crunchy's PR people on twitter today, they do not seem stoked about Orb's numbers so far.

Please, please watch Orb, it's so good.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's really unfortunate to hear

It's easily one of the most popular live action shows Crunchyroll has, consistently beating out DeathNote

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I think live action is still a very niche thing for CR, and they heard from a LOT of people wanting Orb who haven't actually watched the thing.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

John McClane posted:

I talked to one of Crunchy's PR people on twitter today, they do not seem stoked about Orb's numbers so far.

Please, please watch Orb, it's so good.
Fine, twist my arm (it does not take much twisting).

Episode 1 was fun. The humor mostly clicked, the special effects were good, the suits were good, and I had a good time. I particularly liked the dude latching onto the cryptid nerds' car in the middle of a tornado to stoneface some exposition at them. Also, as I was watching the next episode preview, I realized he's got vague hints of Kermit the Frog going on with his voice, which is hilarious.

A+ would shuwatch again

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/nilllirr/status/780026911212773376

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

After a long and busy move I finally caught up on weekly episodes, which means I'm now delving into old movies I've missed, starting with the Gaim Soccer movie. That was pretty silly, but man I forgot from the opening song previews that the long-promised Gaim Horse Battle was hidden away in there.

Also, I think the "Kyu" in "Kyuranger" comes from the "Kyu" in "Chikyu," Earth. I don't think that Kyu is in the other planet names, but it'd make sense enough for a Sentai series.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Has there ever been a toku series with an ending that's as genuinely optimistic and pure-hearted as Fourze's? It stumbles a little bit on the execution, but the passion is there, entirely on display, and proud to be.

Even just thinking about the ending still gets me a little bit (though this also has to do with some personal stuff about high school).

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

After a long and busy move I finally caught up on weekly episodes, which means I'm now delving into old movies I've missed, starting with the Gaim Soccer movie. That was pretty silly, but man I forgot from the opening song previews that the long-promised Gaim Horse Battle was hidden away in there.

Also, I think the "Kyu" in "Kyuranger" comes from the "Kyu" in "Chikyu," Earth. I don't think that Kyu is in the other planet names, but it'd make sense enough for a Sentai series.

If that's the case, then they're Orb Rangers, and I'm really angry there won't be an Ultraman Orb crossover movie

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

If that's the case, then they're Orb Rangers, and I'm really angry there won't be an Ultraman Orb crossover movie

That brings up a good point actually, why haven't Toei and Tsuburaya ever done some sort of collaboration together? The closest thing I remember is an old special where the original Ultraman and Kamen Rider crossed over with each other for a brief segment (also the final boss of Akibaranger Season 2 was basically an Ultraman knockoff).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 27, 2016

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Oh right, probably worth mentioning: yongou finished up v1s of Kabuto! it's done!

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Probably not worth mentioning, but Ghost 50 is out, and Crunchyroll licensed Ultra Kaiju Girls if anyone's into that

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress.

GOD drat IT.

WHY

We don't even have Dyna subbed yet!

Why That piece of anime bullshit!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Oh my god.

Cube Whale is adorable.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pyroi posted:

Oh my god.

Cube Whale is adorable.

Seriously, that whole part with Misao was :3: from beginning to end, I loved it. Cube Whale is cool, even if Dodekai-oh looks bad. But bad mecha are basically the only criticism of Zyuohger I have, which is wonderful after Ninninger. Also ZyuohWhale looks really good, so that helps a lot too.

Also the last episode of Ghost was worth watching because Ex-Aid Gummy and Amazons S2 had great ads. I actually got a bit of a chill at the end of the latter.
The episode itself...happened, I guess. Beyond Javert joining Tenkuuji Temple, everything else was uninteresting and all the interactions between Takeru and Emu felt horribly forced, not to mention how lame the kid (Ayumu?) was. Are they seriously pulling the son-from-the-future move twice in a row?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yay, no more of this crappy Rider show I don't care about!

Time for a crappy rider show I do care about!

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Kaiju Girls is Good, Actually.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We haven't had a crappy KR show with crappy suits since Decade.

I mean, there've been crappy shows, and there've been shows with crappy suits, but they're mostly independent! The bad shows (Wizard, Ghost, arguably Gaim if it wasn't your bag) have pretty good suits, while the good shows have anywhere from fantastic (Type Wild, Gatakiriba, Kachidoki, Meteor) to the goofy (Type Technique, Meteor Storm, Magnet States, Tamashii) to the straight up god-awful (Cosmic States).

But they're all good shows!

I guess what I'm saying here is that I'm trying to convince myself that Ex-Aid's dumb suits are a sign that they aren't taking themselves too seriously, and that this is going to be another Fourze.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
....I liked Magnet States....

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

John McClane posted:

....I liked Magnet States....

I agree. Magnet States was very cool looking and had one of the best two-parters with Gentaro and Kengo becoming true bros.

Fourze had really slick suit and monster design overall,barring the hilariously ugly Cosmic States (which looks so dumb that it must be intentional). Yeah, it was goofy, but that was the point. Did you forget what show you're all watching?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Hey, I didn't say I don't like it! I love it.

I just said it's goofy.

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
I also like the base Decade suit a lot.

Diend and Complete form are terrible though.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Burkion posted:

gently caress.

GOD drat IT.

WHY

We don't even have Dyna subbed yet!

Why That piece of anime bullshit!

Because Ultraman is old and lame and ugly
Monsters girls are hip and cool and cute.

It's a very simple principle to follow.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

John McClane posted:

I also like the base Decade suit a lot.

Diend and Complete form are terrible though.

I like both the Decade and Diend suits :saddowns:

I agree with you about Complete Form, though. I think I'm not super picky about Rider suits, though. The only modern suit I really actively dislike is Ryuki.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

I like both the Decade and Diend suits :saddowns:

I agree with you about Complete Form, though. I think I'm not super picky about Rider suits, though. The only modern suit I really actively dislike is Ryuki.

I like the Decade base suits a lot too, but I don't actively dislike any of the Heisei main suits other than Agito for being Kuuga v2. To be fair to Ryuki, it's in this weird transitional state of suit design for Rider. To be unfair, they made it out of some material I think I remember hearing they never used again and is visibly falling apart by the end of the series and they had to remake most of them for Dragon Knight. (Although my "favorite" visibly damaged Toku prop is when Ankh in OOO visibly had scotch tape on the arm prop near the end of the series.) Also, the Ryuki suits bunch up a ridiculous amount.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McClane
Nov 14, 2011
Agito is maybe my favorite of the early heisei designs. It's so good.

• Locked thread