Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I don't know why you guys are acting like the "fixed" Shaharazd they had in Unhinged doesn't point to an easy and obvious solution for the space/security concerns generated by a singleton copy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Can you still Burning Wish for a Shaharazad from within the subgame it created?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

The one on the stack in the original game? As far as I know you can.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Could you ever? AFAIK the Shahrazhad is still resolving and on the stack, not removed from game/exile/in a sideboard.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Sigma-X posted:

Could you ever? AFAIK the Shahrazhad is still resolving and on the stack, not removed from game/exile/in a sideboard.

It was definitely legal pre-M10, but since that rules update changed how wishes functioned I'm not sure if it still is.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

715.4. All objects in the main game and all cards outside the main game are considered outside the subgame (except those specifically brought into the subgame). All players not currently in the subgame are considered outside the subgame.

Go nuts.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Dr. Stab posted:

715.4. All objects in the main game and all cards outside the main game are considered outside the subgame (except those specifically brought into the subgame). All players not currently in the subgame are considered outside the subgame.

Go nuts.

Look what you have wroth.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

suicidesteve posted:

The one on the stack in the original game? As far as I know you can.

Dr. Stab posted:

Go nuts.

This is my new favorite dumb thing, and I spent a good deal of last night having rhinos drive helicopters and bats conduct trains.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Playing Miracles against Turbo Depths in Legacy.

Both of those spells were countered. Always check to see what was actually revealed by Counterbalance!

also nearly every game/match I lose with Miracles, I feel like I could have won with a different line. It's brutal.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Carrasco posted:

This is my new favorite dumb thing, and I spent a good deal of last night having rhinos drive helicopters and bats conduct trains.

It's definitely one of the dumber things you can do in the game.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

BJPaskoff posted:

Speaking of shuffling, have you ever seen the little... I don't even know how to describe it other than "deck spanking" thing YuGiOh players do? Their cards are made out of flimsy toilet paper and they've collectively decided that their cards are made worthless if there's even the slightest bit of wear on them. So they've invented this bizarre method of "shuffling" where they rapidly take a portion of their deck and slap it against the other portion over and over. It looks really easy to make it appear as though you're doing something when you're actually keeping the cards in the exact same spot. If the kid I saw at the prerelease was playing when I was judging, I would have told him to shuffle normally.

I just moved so I had to find a new game store and picked one to try out for the prerelease and a couple of players were shuffling like this, it just seems like it isn't randomized at all. I played one of the guys and I am pretty sure he attempted to stack his deck for our sideboarded game because he looked through his deck, pulled out a number of cards and set them face down, didn't sideboard anything and just put them in some order at the bottom of his deck and did that type of shuffling you outlined above when he presented I started to mash and he stopped me and asked "you're not just going to cut?" - I said I wanted to shuffle his deck a bit more and mashed about 5 or 6 times and then cut it into three different piles. The same guy had a good record and his mechanics were all weird throughout the game - lots of tapping 3 lands instead of 4 to keep lands up or trying to attack with creatures with summoning sickness, trying to rush the game.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dehtraen posted:

I just moved so I had to find a new game store and picked one to try out for the prerelease and a couple of players were shuffling like this, it just seems like it isn't randomized at all. I played one of the guys and I am pretty sure he attempted to stack his deck for our sideboarded game because he looked through his deck, pulled out a number of cards and set them face down, didn't sideboard anything and just put them in some order at the bottom of his deck and did that type of shuffling you outlined above when he presented I started to mash and he stopped me and asked "you're not just going to cut?" - I said I wanted to shuffle his deck a bit more and mashed about 5 or 6 times and then cut it into three different piles. The same guy had a good record and his mechanics were all weird throughout the game - lots of tapping 3 lands instead of 4 to keep lands up or trying to attack with creatures with summoning sickness, trying to rush the game.

He consistently and constantly cheats, you mean

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

Not in a sanctioned game. Sanctioned Magic rules interpret the phrase "outside the game" to strictly refer to the Sideboard. This is partially why Burning Wish got nerfed - you used to be able to obtain cards that had been exiled since they were "removed from the game."

Of course, that is hypothetical to the imaginary Shaharazad-unbanning, as in reality there is no Sanctioned format in which Shaharazad is legal and in unsanctioned Magic you can do anything you want.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Sep 27, 2016

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Shaharazad subgame is easily done by covering the main game with a second playmat. It is so simple!!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dehtraen posted:

I don't even feel like cheating like this is more common, its just that people are more aware. Even the simplest of cheats give such an overwhelming advantage. Anybody else might have been too focused on their own stuff and totally missed his opponent trying to scum him in the most casual tournament ever.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

At pre-releases or casual events, some of that stuff (weird land tapping, poor shuffling, etc) can be written off as someone being new or rusty or just not paying attention. But having played off and on since the mid 90's, I can say that the slap-chop method of shuffling and doing shady poo poo with lands is the hallmark of a cheater. Every store has at least one guy that can only beat little kids or anyone else who doesn't know enough to call him out on his poo poo or thoroughly shuffle his deck during a cut.

I agree that people are generally more aware now, but people will never stop looking for ways to stack the deck in their favor (heh) even in the most casual of situations.

Honestly given how popular pre-releases are, I'm surprised there's not more cheating in the vein of people just stacking their pools with bombs from previous events.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

At pre-releases or casual events, some of that stuff (weird land tapping, poor shuffling, etc) can be written off as someone being new or rusty or just not paying attention. But having played off and on since the mid 90's, I can say that the slap-chop method of shuffling and doing shady poo poo with lands is the hallmark of a cheater. Every store has at least one guy that can only beat little kids or anyone else who doesn't know enough to call him out on his poo poo or thoroughly shuffle his deck during a cut.

I agree that people are generally more aware now, but people will never stop looking for ways to stack the deck in their favor (heh) even in the most casual of situations.

Honestly given how popular pre-releases are, I'm surprised there's not more cheating in the vein of people just stacking their pools with bombs from previous events.

The stacking of unregistered pools is definitely a thing at any place with any decent prize support. Regular rel sealed is a shithole.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Angry Grimace posted:

Not in a sanctioned game. Sanctioned Magic rules interpret the phrase "outside the game" to strictly refer to the Sideboard. This is partially why Burning Wish got nerfed - you used to be able to obtain cards that had been exiled since they were "removed from the game."

Of course, that is hypothetical to the imaginary Shaharazad-unbanning, as in reality there is no Sanctioned format in which Shaharazad is legal and in unsanctioned Magic you can do anything you want.

I can't find any reference to this rule in the MTR. The Comprehensive Rules say that cards in your sideboard are outside the game, but not exclusively. The functioning of the wishes was changed with the M10 update when the removed from game zone was renamed to exile. This doesn't have to do with tournament rules at all, and is just a change to the Comprehensive Rules.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dr. Stab posted:

I can't find any reference to this rule in the MTR. The Comprehensive Rules say that cards in your sideboard are outside the game, but not exclusively. The functioning of the wishes was changed with the M10 update when the removed from game zone was renamed to exile. This doesn't have to do with tournament rules at all, and is just a change to the Comprehensive Rules.

It's not a specific rule in the Comp rules, its part of the sanctioned tournament rules. You cannot obtain cards other than your sideboard in a Sanctioned game. It's in the rules discussion for every single Wish card.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Angry Grimace posted:

It's not a specific rule in the Comp rules, its part of the sanctioned tournament rules. You cannot obtain cards other than your sideboard in a Sanctioned game. It's in the rules discussion for every single Wish card.

Yeah, that's why I said I couldn't find any reference to it in the MTR.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Dr. Stab posted:

Yeah, that's why I said I couldn't find any reference to it in the MTR.

3.6 Card Interpretation

Certain cards refer to “a (card or cards) you own from outside the game.” In tournament play, a card “you own from outside the game" is a card in that player’s sideboard

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

After a lot of playtesting, it looks like indeed that the b/g fast land is the best of the new fast lands for jund/junk. Definitely going to be a 4x of in JUNK and probably a 1/2 of in jund. In junk it allows turn 1 noble into turn 2 lily/souls much more often at a considerable life savings, which is pretty amazing.

It also seems that lost legacy is a really great silver bullet hoser for ad nauseum and a few valakut decks.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Sep 27, 2016

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Sickening posted:

The stacking of unregistered pools is definitely a thing at any place with any decent prize support. Regular rel sealed is a shithole.

One LGS does a case battle prerelease event and does pool registration for this very reason.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 27, 2016

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sickening posted:

Anybody else might have been too focused on their own stuff and totally missed his opponent trying to scum him in the most casual tournament ever.

Exactly. A lot of people are too busy trying to look like a pro and flick their cards around to notice the land tapping stuff. Worse part was on Sunday pre-releases multiple people had their phones out and were watching football while playing. I'll never get people being super scummy at casual events like this and game day.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Sickening posted:

After a lot of playtesting, it looks like indeed that the b/g fast land is the best of the new fast lands for jund/junk. Definitely going to be a 4x of in JUNK and probably a 1/2 of in jund. In junk it allows turn 1 noble into turn 2 lily/souls much more often at a considerable life savings, which is pretty amazing.

It also seems that lost legacy is a really great silver bullet hoser for ad nauseum and a few valakut decks.

Any chance it ends up being worth more than a few bucks? I got one but I'm not gonna waste time posting it for $5.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

BJPaskoff posted:

Speaking of shuffling, have you ever seen the little... I don't even know how to describe it other than "deck spanking" thing YuGiOh players do? Their cards are made out of flimsy toilet paper and they've collectively decided that their cards are made worthless if there's even the slightest bit of wear on them. So they've invented this bizarre method of "shuffling" where they rapidly take a portion of their deck and slap it against the other portion over and over. It looks really easy to make it appear as though you're doing something when you're actually keeping the cards in the exact same spot. If the kid I saw at the prerelease was playing when I was judging, I would have told him to shuffle normally.

This is a magician's shuffle specifically used to make sure you don't randomize cards. I can't remember the name of it but I remember it being vaguely racist.

The more likely explanation for them doing it though is that that's how they shuffle in the TV show.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

This is a magician's shuffle specifically used to make sure you don't randomize cards. I can't remember the name of it but I remember it being vaguely racist.

The more likely explanation for them doing it though is that that's how they shuffle in the TV show.

It's called the Hindu shuffle and the reason they do it in the show is because it's a common general shuffle in parts of asia

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
At Monday Night Magic tonight, we were all talking about the pile sorting change. One guy seemed to be really taken aback by the change and couldn't understand it. I ended up playing him first round, and he pile sorts once into seven piles and then presents. I told him he couldn't do that, because it's not randomized at all and he could have easily sorted his deck out. He tanked for a minute and then said, "But my opponent can just shuffle my deck, right?" I've played with this guy dozens of times and judged events he's been in, and never noticed him doing this. He kept asking me questions - for example, he pile sorted when he finished building his deck, can he still do it again before game one? Can he do it before game two?

Now I need to ask the other judges if they ever noticed that behavior. I don't think he's cheating, but I don't understand how anyone could think one pile sort is "shuffling".

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, it's done because it looks flashy. It's the same as the overhand shuffle which is more common in the west and is the other generally accepted shuffle for card games. It's fine for most card games and people only care about it in wizard poker due to its use in cheating.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Here's a video for those that are still confused about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZXhPWkro9A

And this is one of the related videos. This video describes how shuffling cards works and what's the best way and what's the worst way to shuffle a deck of cards: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxJubaijQbI

Star Man fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 27, 2016

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Eschatos posted:

Any chance it ends up being worth more than a few bucks? I got one but I'm not gonna waste time posting it for $5.

Even seeing Modern play, I don't expect any of the Fastlands to go beyond $5 while they are in Standard. The set has lottery cards and most of the regular value is in Chandra, Green Hulk, Nissa, etc.

The only rare worth close to $10 is Roflcopter and it's not gonna be $10.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Even seeing Modern play, I don't expect any of the Fastlands to go beyond $5 while they are in Standard. The set has lottery cards and most of the regular value is in Chandra, Green Hulk, Nissa, etc.

The only rare worth close to $10 is Roflcopter and it's not gonna be $10.

I think the most expensive of the original ones from Mirrodin 2 Electric Booglao is still around 8 to 9 bucks, and most are around 5 to 6.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The RB one is 20, the rest are 8-10.

n1tro
Dec 12, 2005

Sickening posted:

How does your manabase look now for Junk? I was thinking about cutting 1 Tomb, 1 mire and two fetches for the 4 marshes.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

The RB one is 20, the rest are 8-10.

Ah, i just bought a White/Blue for 5 bucks so i figured most of them were that low.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah, it's done because it looks flashy. It's the same as the overhand shuffle which is more common in the west and is the other generally accepted shuffle for card games. It's fine for most card games and people only care about it in wizard poker due to its use in cheating.

This type of shuffling, and the other things the guy did, are signs that he's a big douchey Yu-gi-oh player. I played a decade ago and that shuffle was the cool way to do it since it was how they shiffled in the show, but I didn't realize back then that it was big for cheating, so that explains why I lost a lot. The fast play though is HUGE with shitheads who think they're pros. They think if they play fast enough, you can't respond to their plays. It really only works on kids and people who won't call them out on it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

anglachel posted:

I think the most expensive of the original ones from Mirrodin 2 Electric Booglao is still around 8 to 9 bucks, and most are around 5 to 6.

Blackcleave is $20 but the game is a lot more popular now, plus the set has lottery stuff.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 27, 2016

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

Blackcleave is $20 but the game is a lot more popular now, plus the set has lottery stuff.

I think the BG fastland will be the most expensive from this set since BGx decks in Modern really want it (Jund plays Blackcleave too) but there are way more packs being opened these days so I hope it wouldn't also hit $20 also because I want a few. New dual lands haven't been that expensive in the last few years, the KTK fetches being the obvious exception and even then they're nowhere near the ZEN fetches.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I think the BG fastland will be the most expensive from this set since BGx decks in Modern really want it (Jund plays Blackcleave too) but there are way more packs being opened these days so I hope it wouldn't also hit $20 also because I want a few. New dual lands haven't been that expensive in the last few years, the KTK fetches being the obvious exception and even then they're nowhere near the ZEN fetches.

None of the new fast lands will be 10 bucks for any length of time. They are pre-ordering for less than 5 right now and the lottery cards will ensure none of the rares are going to be worth much.

Blackcleave is nearly 20 bucks because the set it came out of is 6 years old and its currently the most played fast land of the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sickening posted:

None of the new fast lands will be 10 bucks for any length of time. They are pre-ordering for less than 5 right now and the lottery cards will ensure none of the rares are going to be worth much.

Blackcleave is nearly 20 bucks because the set it came out of is 6 years old and its currently the most played fast land of the set.

Hopefully this will also apply to Chandra because I really don't want to have my deck be 150 bucks specifically because I'm running two of her.

• Locked thread