Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Yahoo's big account hack may be shaking the Verizon deal.

quote:

The calls set off a flurry of questions at Verizon — How could this possibly have happened? Who was behind it? Why is it only becoming known now? Could this jeopardize the deal? — but also the sounding of an alarm and the deployment of a triage team to assist Yahoo.

The telecom giant directed its online security experts, including Chandra McMahon, Verizon’s chief information security officer, to do their own investigation of the hack. And they enlisted the help of Verizon’s security division, part of its enterprise solutions business, which helps companies defend against and manage hacks.

Continue reading the main story
Advertisement

Continue reading the main story
Now, just a few days after Verizon learned of the breach, it is contending with the ramifications of what is believed to be the largest hack of a single company. Even as Verizon tries to assess the damage at Yahoo and prevent further security intrusions, the scope of the hack and the potential fallout — including the possibility of a costly class-action lawsuit — are inevitably prompting renewed scrutiny of a deal that was intended to transform the telecom behemoth into a digital media powerhouse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Non Serviam posted:

Of course, you can say every Trump supporter is a racist, including the (granted, few) poc that are part of it, of course, but then you're just coming off as a bit of an rear end.

a trump supporter is either a racist or supporting racism and in the end isn't that the same.

also peter thiel is evil.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
There are nuanced and thoughtful reasons to support trump u guys

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

namaste faggots posted:

There are nuanced and thoughtful reasons to support trump u guys

Just because racist reasons are nuanced and thoughtful doesn't make them not racist.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Didn't Verizon just get into a lot of trouble with prominent Youtubers for letting hackers bypass two-factor authentication and take over their channels?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Don't want to be a pain in the rear end to this thread so just saying it's fine to talk about the Occulus Rift guy being a weirdo, but if you want to just rant about Trump take it to C-SPAM.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

The Real Foogla posted:

wait doesnt that proove his point? they want to reform it to increase supply, driving down those prices

No, they want to reform it so that their prospective employees, who are much more highly skilled and will be compensated 2-3x the amount that the candidates that Tata and Infosys are putting forward, aren't put on equal footing in the selection process.

Overall 'supply' is not the problem. The problem is that the system puts unskilled, low-paid consultancy workers on an equal footing (or higher, given the experience of those H-1B shops at working within the existing system) with world-class, highly-paid FTE employees at top companies. That's why it needs 'reform'.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To give a specific example, if my employer, with a median salary of over $100k according to that site, wanted to transfer me to work in the states, we'd have to compete for the visa with 40 Tata guys averaging half that. So as a result, instead of jumping through all the hoops and hoping I get through, they got some Turkish guy doing the work remotely instead.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 25, 2016

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I thought there were different rules/visas for (temporary?) intracompany transfers? Is that only with some countries?

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought there were different rules/visas for (temporary?) intracompany transfers? Is that only with some countries?
Only works for managers not rank and file employees. Although if there's a free trade agreement there's usually a special quota separate from the H1B quota.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

hobbesmaster posted:

You could get an L-1B visa as a stop gap, but you have to be employed for at least one year outside the US (any time spent over here for training or other meetings doesn't count) and your employer needs to sponsor you as a "worker with specialized knowledge."

Pixelboy
Sep 13, 2005

Now, I know what you're thinking...

ComradeCosmobot posted:

You could get an L-1B visa as a stop gap, but you have to be employed for at least one year outside the US (any time spent over here for training or other meetings doesn't count) and your employer needs to sponsor you as a "worker with specialized knowledge."

Having had an L1 - it's also more paperwork. You really need to prove that you have some skill or knowledge that can't be easily replaced. Fluff pieces won't really work here.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Snapchat has renamed itself to Snap and announced a future hardware product, Spectacles, that lets you take videos with your glasses. This time for sure! This iteration, unlike Google Glass, will light an LED when filming, and I'm sure nobody will block that.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Palmer Luckey's net worth is likely almost entirely in Facebook RSUs, which may or may not have vested yet, so getting ousted from Oculus would almost definitely hurt him financially.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Snapchat has renamed itself to Snap and announced a future hardware product, Spectacles, that lets you take videos with your glasses. This time for sure! This iteration, unlike Google Glass, will light an LED when filming, and I'm sure nobody will block that.

At least they didn't call it snaptacles?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

At least they didn't call it snaptacles?

Snapples. Oh. Whoops.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And once again the insufferable shall pay to mark themselves as such.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

Several people I know in the Valley are falling all over themselves saying Spectacles is going to TOTALLY be different than Google Glass because they're explicitly marketing it as a toy rather than a paradigm-shifting wonder device. Great. So it looks like a pair of gaudy sunglasses from Payless instead of a creepy Borg monocle. It's still not something a normal person wants to put on their face.

I think it will fail for the same reason Google Glass failed -- it's a camera you can't take selfies with.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
Did Google Glass fail?

I think it's kind of cool to have "terminator vision" and the technology lends itself well to augmented reality games instead of having a Virtual Boy glued to your forehead.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Panfilo posted:

Did Google Glass fail?

I think it's kind of cool to have "terminator vision" and the technology lends itself well to augmented reality games instead of having a Virtual Boy glued to your forehead.

It failed because they removed the face recognition portion, which was probably the portion with the greatest potential. With that people would have seen greater benefit to looking like a creepy dork.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Panfilo posted:

Did Google Glass fail?

it's not dead yet, but the first prototype wave caught a lot of criticism for privacy concerns

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I had to drop their weird "thanks for playing" landing page here. https://www.google.com/glass/start/

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
glass has some merit, it's just that it was released too soon so that people could drop a couple grand on a really fancy but pointless toy, which also happens to have some horrifying implications re: people uploading viral videos of you absent mindedly picking your nose while waiting to board an airplane

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Popular Thug Drink posted:

it's not dead yet, but the first prototype wave caught a lot of criticism for privacy concerns

It is just sleeping ? Or pining for fjords ?

The biggest problem with glass, aside from making you look like a bell end, was that it was rubbish.

I had a go of a set that someone was given for a uni project and was amazed at how tiny the hud was. The voice recognition worked exactly like this for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz_UvnUeuU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It also didn't help that the marketing for it was atrocious. They weren't ever able to pinpoint what the use case for it was supposed to be, aside from really niche stuff like life casting or extreme sports which GoPro was already doing equally well. Probably they'd have done better to market it as a content consumption rather than production device, but they knew that functionality was still too half baked I guess.

Also, if you wanted it to be non-creepy, taking a picture by winking was the wrong way to go about it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

glass has some merit, it's just that it was released too soon so that people could drop a couple grand on a really fancy but pointless toy, which also happens to have some horrifying implications re: people uploading viral videos of you absent mindedly picking your nose while waiting to board an airplane
I thought it was more along the line of uploading your automatically-identified self automatically tagged while you were in a gay bar or even just drinking alcohol in a bar, potentially outing you or causing vast personal dislocation.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Baby Babbeh posted:

It also didn't help that the marketing for it was atrocious. They weren't ever able to pinpoint what the use case for it was supposed to be, aside from really niche stuff like life casting or extreme sports which GoPro was already doing equally well. Probably they'd have done better to market it as a content consumption rather than production device, but they knew that functionality was still too half baked I guess.

Also, if you wanted it to be non-creepy, taking a picture by winking was the wrong way to go about it.
Wasn't it basically just a dev kit? I haven't tried Glass myself, but it seemed to clearly miss the mark in terms of actual AR, and was just a transparent phone display stuck to your eye. Once something like the Holo Lens is sufficiently shrunk down in size and cost, we could actually talk about how promising the technology is.

Pixelboy posted:

Having had an L1 - it's also more paperwork. You really need to prove that you have some skill or knowledge that can't be easily replaced. Fluff pieces won't really work here.
Yeah it was generally just a huge pain in the rear end, even though I could've probably made a decent case with the knowledge of our products and internal systems and processes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Nessus posted:

I thought it was more along the line of uploading your automatically-identified self automatically tagged while you were in a gay bar or even just drinking alcohol in a bar, potentially outing you or causing vast personal dislocation.

fair point, the thing that really killed glass was that you had to get/use a google plus account

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

Wasn't it basically just a dev kit? I haven't tried Glass myself, but it seemed to clearly miss the mark in terms of actual AR, and was just a transparent phone display stuck to your eye. Once something like the Holo Lens is sufficiently shrunk down in size and cost, we could actually talk about how promising the technology is

Basically, but it suffered especially because it wasn't very clear what devs were supposed to do with it. It was "we strapped a camera and a little screen to your head, have at it."

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

jre posted:

It is just sleeping ? Or pining for fjords ?

The biggest problem with glass, aside from making you look like a bell end, was that it was rubbish.

I had a go of a set that someone was given for a uni project and was amazed at how tiny the hud was. The voice recognition worked exactly like this for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAz_UvnUeuU

I'm still utterly convinced that Google's voice recognition capabilities were set back by wider adoption. My dumb and almost-certainly-wrong anecdote is that I got into the google voice beta in like 2009 and just used it for voicemail. Initially the transcription was fantastic, and I rarely bothered to listen to the messages. Over the years, though, it got worse and worse and worse until it was either transcribing nonsense, or not even transcribing anything at all (it started to get better again in the past few years, though). Because I am extremely self-centered, I blame this on Google's voice dataset including more and more people with different accents as adoption grew, loving up recognition of my Extremely Good east coast accent.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Panfilo posted:

Did Google Glass fail?

It never did the overlaid-on-the-real-world stuff you're probably thinking of. It was basically an ordinary monitor hovering in one corner of your field of view, combined with a camera that didn't necessarily give any indication it was recording. (The stock app turned on a little light, but it was trivial to disable.)

The failure was mostly on the "Glass Explorers" that Google recruited. They didn't bring in people who had interesting ideas for how to develop the technology; they used techno-fetishists who were practically guaranteed to raise a cry of "anti-cyborg discrimination" when anybody asked them to put away their face camera. When your only users are getting known in the media as "glassholes" then you're not headed for success.

Snapchat is past that obstacle, because their product is for sharing your fun party on Snapchat instead of being on the vanguard of the next revolution, but they'll still need to figure out whether the product will actually sell.

hahahahaha no it won't

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Baby Babbeh posted:

Basically, but it suffered especially because it wasn't very clear what devs were supposed to do with it. It was "we strapped a camera and a little screen to your head, have at it."

Wasn't that basically because some executive stumbled upon the prototype and demanded it be released so that the pubic could come up with a use case?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-us-attorney-could-look-at-rothenberg-ventures-source-says-2016-9

Anyone know anything about this? I knew Rothenberg from high school. He was one of the top math nerds in Texas along with my two buddies. I don't really remember what he was like personally, but it sounds like your standard case study in narcissism meets financial reality.

Lote fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 27, 2016

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Space Gopher posted:

Snapchat is past that obstacle, because their product is for sharing your fun party on Snapchat instead of being on the vanguard of the next revolution, but they'll still need to figure out whether the product will actually sell.

hahahahaha no it won't

snapchat is definitely the right company to pull off something like this, except the problem is that their main market is teens and very young adults, and the plan is to get them to wear dorky looking glasses

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Slanderer posted:

I'm still utterly convinced that Google's voice recognition capabilities were set back by wider adoption. My dumb and almost-certainly-wrong anecdote is that I got into the google voice beta in like 2009 and just used it for voicemail. Initially the transcription was fantastic, and I rarely bothered to listen to the messages. Over the years, though, it got worse and worse and worse until it was either transcribing nonsense, or not even transcribing anything at all (it started to get better again in the past few years, though). Because I am extremely self-centered, I blame this on Google's voice dataset including more and more people with different accents as adoption grew, loving up recognition of my Extremely Good east coast accent.

That's actually part of why voice recognition is kind of a pipe dream. I'm American sure but I'm from the woods of Pennsylvania and have a kind of oddball accent that machines very frequently fail to understand. As neat as it is and as much as it would make doing business cheaper human speech is just something machines don't have the processing power to understand well enough right now.

Hell humans can't even get it right a lot of the time.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lote posted:

http://www.businessinsider.com/fbi-us-attorney-could-look-at-rothenberg-ventures-source-says-2016-9

Anyone know anything about this? I knew Rothenberg from high school. He was one of the top math nerds in Texas along with my two buddies. I don't really remember what he was like personally, but it sounds like your standard case study in narcissism meets financial reality.

https://backchannel.com/mike-rothen...c7c5#.i5hivs60m

A fantastic read on how it went down.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lol so he invested $5M of the money he was managing into his own VR company. How hosed by the SEC is he?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Something light-hearted as a little breather: Obituaries My Mother Wrote for Me While I Was Living in San Francisco in My Twenties

quote:

Today we lay to rest our daughter Bess Kalb, twenty-six, who was claimed Saturday morning by Contact Yoga. In an attempt to prove that she’s some kind of “free spirit,” she decided it would be a good idea to do this thing where you balance your entire body on a stranger’s hands and legs—like a child. That Bess’s brief, puzzling life was cut short is a tragedy, though the far greater tragedy is that right before she snapped her neck, some kid with a tribal tattoo was staring down her shirt.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Not even the one relevant to the thread topic!

quote:

Today we said goodbye to Bess Kalb, beloved daughter, sister, and former reader of serious books. After years living in the Bay Area, her brain essentially atrophied beyond the point of return, forcing us to make the brave decision to let her slip away peacefully. Shortly before the end, Bess spoke with genuine enthusiasm about a TED Talk—a pat distillation of a zeitgeisty subject spewed by some billionaire narcissist in a headset, accompanied by inaccurate line graphs. Weeks prior, she had used the word “impactful” in a sentence. In lieu of flowers, donations in her memory can be made to the Bess Kalb Fund for Adult Illiteracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Space Gopher posted:

It never did the overlaid-on-the-real-world stuff you're probably thinking of. It was basically an ordinary monitor hovering in one corner of your field of view, combined with a camera that didn't necessarily give any indication it was recording. (The stock app turned on a little light, but it was trivial to disable.)

The failure was mostly on the "Glass Explorers" that Google recruited. They didn't bring in people who had interesting ideas for how to develop the technology; they used techno-fetishists who were practically guaranteed to raise a cry of "anti-cyborg discrimination" when anybody asked them to put away their face camera. When your only users are getting known in the media as "glassholes" then you're not headed for success.

hahahahaha no it won't

Another problem with Google Glass is that it was trying to be an always-on accessory, and as a result ended up having a battery life of <3 hours. I can't imagine Snap is going to be able to get a much larger battery on their Spectacles, but just the fact that it'll only be on when taking/transferring video should help make the battery last longer in most use cases. That + the lower price point + the fact that they're going to have a limited run could result in this being a success. I mean, getting kids to wear goofy-looking fashion glasses is not hard at all.