Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Imo if you are going to be killing people I don't want you to be able to abstract it away to pressing a button and hearing a boom from miles away and I want it to be right up in your face and as visceral as possible because it is a really serious goddamn thing you are doing and you should be very deeply questioning why your career has led you to this point if you have a problem with it.

e: Ugh sorry this is a terrible snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

So are challenge coins the kind of semi-official thing where whenever there's an excuse to make one you do and design it however you want? Like how with specialized missions or rocket launches they always make a unique patch for everyone involved and they put crazy poo poo like dragons and robot-minotaurs and skeletons on them?
Like this:

And what circumstances would you really have to throw down a challenge coin for the possibility of free beer? Does it have to be with someone who would also have the exact same coin? So a "I was in the Navy" one would work, but what are the odds in civilian life you could use your "General Soandso gave me a challenge coin from his goody bag" one? Or does any coin work for any challenge, and getting one from the POTUS means you automatically win the rank showdown.

It's like cards, You throw down hoping the guy you go against has a lower ranking/no coin

And that patch fuckin' owns

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Not that I want to defend the drone program or anything but isn't that like, most military operations that involve killing people?

I mean I guess if you compare it to "conventional" aircraft, bombers and jets would be miles away by the time the impact actually happened, sure, but compared to other military actions I don't know. It's not like the army just fucks off without checking after shooting wildly in the general direction of the enemy right?

e: And missile cams have been a thing for decades now too

Previously it wasn't the same guy doing the long term observation, shooting and battle damage assessment.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Not that I want to defend the drone program or anything but isn't that like, most military operations that involve killing people?

I mean I guess if you compare it to "conventional" aircraft, bombers and jets would be miles away by the time the impact actually happened, sure, but compared to other military actions I don't know. It's not like the army just fucks off without checking after shooting wildly in the general direction of the enemy right?

There's a difference between shooting someone who's shooting at you and blowing up a wedding for no reason

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I think I saw something peer reviewed about different kinds of PTSD and developing new methods for the drone pilots, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: here are three:

The labor of surveillance and bureaucratized killing: new subjectivities of military drone operators
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10350330.2013.777591

An analysis of post-traumatic stress symptoms in United States Air Force drone operators
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve/pii/S0887618514000656?via=sd

MEASURING THE MORAL IMPACT OF OPERATING "DRONES" ON PILOTS IN COMBAT, DISASTER MANAGEMENT AND SURVEILLANCE
http://aisel.aisnet.org/ecis2014/proceedings/track12/14/

I don't know this last journal, so I'm not sure about peer review:
Symptoms of Psychological Distress and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in United States Air Force “Drone” Operators
http://publications.amsus.org/doi/abs/10.7205/MILMED-D-13-00501

WrenP-Complete has issued a correction as of 23:45 on Sep 26, 2016

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Imo if you are going to be killing people I don't want you to be able to abstract it away to pressing a button and hearing a boom from miles away and I want it to be right up in your face and as visceral as possible because it is a really serious goddamn thing you are doing and you should be very deeply questioning why your career has led you to this point if you have a problem with it.

e: Ugh sorry this is a terrible snipe

So you want to sign up some grunt for PTSD because you are not comfortable with society's choice?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/780527263775207424

:getin:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I don't know this last journal, so I'm not sure about peer review:
Symptoms of Psychological Distress and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in United States Air Force “Drone” Operators
http://publications.amsus.org/doi/abs/10.7205/MILMED-D-13-00501

It's at least facially credible- ASMUS is a congressionally created org and the publication does include peer review. Given their remit, they may have better data access than others. That said, although the method's about as good as one could hope for, it's still compromisingly weak if you're looking for actual rates for inter-service comparison purposes. It's sufficient to indicate that PTSD is a problem for drone pilots, though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Here is how I imagine that going:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zepAp5qQiDw

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I feel compelled to chime in that there are some neurophysiological underpinnings to PTSD, which are going to make some individuals much more susceptible to it than others. The most current literature that I am aware of finds that there are a lot of parallels between PTSD and the results of traumatic brain injury, both in terms of susceptibility and resilience. This kind of came up tangentially in my own studies, because I appear to be in the latter group (resilient to the effects of head trauma). If you have a large enough sample exposed to a highly provocative stimulus there will almost certainly be some percentage (or fractional percentage) that will have a more severe reaction to it simply due to their particular neurophysical substrate.

At least the "Patriot" movement shouldn't have to worry about it, being pretty much brain-free to begin with.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Omega 3 supplementation as an improvement in PTSD-related resilience outcomes is being tested right now. The lead scientist's pretty incompetent, though.

edit: I am now visualizing prison aides force-feeding the Bundys fish oil.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Sep 27, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

SocketWrench posted:

It's like cards, You throw down hoping the guy you go against has a lower ranking/no coin

Only there's always That Guy who challenges absolutely loving everyone because he knows his coin is higher than 95% of the others. He's That Guy that Ruins Everything and I guarantee you that's part of why challenge coins fell out of favor. The guy with the shittiest coin gets to go broke or never, ever go out. The guy with the best coin gets to die of liver failure from all the free booze.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

Omega 3 supplementation as an improvement in PTSD-related resilience outcomes is being tested right now. The lead scientist's pretty incompetent, though.

edit: I am now visualizing prison aides force-feeding the Bundys fish oil.

Who is the PI and why incompetent?

CaptainSarcastic, that's super interesting and not my area at all. Is there a paper or papers you'd recommend?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

WrenP-Complete posted:

Who is the PI and why incompetent?

CaptainSarcastic, that's super interesting and not my area at all. Is there a paper or papers you'd recommend?

I don't have any available at ready recall, but a quick search turned up: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3182008/

It's a bit general but touches on at least some of the salient points.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I'm going completely by memory here, but I recall that it took a while for the military to recognize and accept that drone pilots suffer a lot of the same psychological difficulties that fighter pilots do. The necessary psychological care wasn't available at first because it was presumed, with no basis at all, that drone pilots could handle more missions and flight time, because they were just sitting in front of a screen in Nevada.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

therobit posted:

So you want to sign up some grunt for PTSD because you are not comfortable with society's choice?

It's not like there's a draft anymore, and the military has been doing horrible things basically since we've had a military so anyone joining really should know by now that there's the possibility of being made to do something horrible themselves (or at the very least kill someone). PTSD is probably a bit much, I wouldn't wish that on anyone, and we should have much more robust screening and treatment systems in place (and research it a lot more), but killing people absolutely does need to be one of those things that haunts you, that you're not removed or insulated from at all. I mean hell if it were up to me everyone up the chain of command right to the president would watch a few videos of the drone exploding people's legs off at least a few times, clockwork orange style, to drive the point home.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Only there's always That Guy who challenges absolutely loving everyone because he knows his coin is higher than 95% of the others. He's That Guy that Ruins Everything and I guarantee you that's part of why challenge coins fell out of favor. The guy with the shittiest coin gets to go broke or never, ever go out. The guy with the best coin gets to die of liver failure from all the free booze.

So they're basically pokemon cards

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

I'm going completely by memory here, but I recall that it took a while for the military to recognize and accept that drone pilots suffer a lot of the same psychological difficulties that fighter pilots do. The necessary psychological care wasn't available at first because it was presumed, with no basis at all, that drone pilots could handle more missions and flight time, because they were just sitting in front of a screen in Nevada.

That certainly sounds like something that would have happened, yeah :v:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Basically, yes. Though if you were that fucker you likely gained a rep for being a poo poo bag and the bar would empty out whenever you wandered your rear end in

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Casimir Radon posted:

You work for a vanity press?
Oh goodness no. I'd rather not go into the specific details, since it's a niche market what we do, but think more stuff like an obscure instruction manual for a machine only used by a few hundred people or a book on the history of a company that the company themselves put together for the founder's retirement (neither of those are things that we print, but it's as close of an example as I can think of). They don't have ISBN numbers or Library of Congress numbers (I hope I'm using those terms right, I actually don't know much about the publishing industry) or bar codes or anything that you'd expect from a book that a publishing house puts out. They're not any different physically than the books that you'd see in a bookstore, but their purpose is way different. I wish I could say that we print some of the crazy stuff I've seen coming out of vanity presses that pretend to be real publishing houses, but what we print is very, very boring.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I actually didn't know that vanity presses existed outside of academia, because I thought print on demand would have taken that whole market.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

WrenP-Complete posted:

I actually didn't know that vanity presses existed outside of academia, because I thought print on demand would have taken that whole market.
I've always taken "vanity press" to be something of a pejorative term for regular print-on-demand printers that pretend to be publishers so that someone with more money than writing skill can say that they're a real, published author and not one of those self-published authors (say that last part with a sneer on your face to get the full effect). Kinda like mail-order degrees from diploma mills, I think that the growth of the internet in the last 10-15 years has taken a bite out of their business.

Before that, if you claimed that you have five novels in print by St. Isidore Press, and had actual copies of those novels strategically placed where someone could open them up and see that, yep, they really have all the makings of a real novel, it'd be reasonably hard to refute that. Not impossible, or even all that difficult, but not something that could be done in real-time. Now, someone whips out their smartphone, does a quick search and finds out that St. Isidore Press is actually two guys and a cheap digital press in a small warehouse in Nebraska, and the jig is up.

Not that there isn't still a buck to be made stroking the egos of rich idiots, but all it takes is for Atlanta Nights Part 2 to go viral and your entire web presence is shot to hell.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I thought that self published authors retained the rights to their work, whereas if someone went through a vanity press, the vanity press would hold the rights. Like in the Umberto Eco book whose name is escaping me and I'm phone posting.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

WrenP-Complete posted:

I thought that self published authors retained the rights to their work, whereas if someone went through a vanity press, the vanity press would hold the rights. Like in the Umberto Eco book whose name is escaping me and I'm phone posting.

Foucault's Pendulum!

wherein the vanity press exists mostly to scam conspiracy theorists out of their money. i think. its been a while since I read it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ameliaOPB/status/780558650372874240

Don't worry she keeps her clothes on.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/ameliaOPB/status/780555817154031616

oh ffs

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/780558170221531136

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

http://votefiore.com/2016-calendar/

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

SocketWrench posted:

If i had one of those denim jackets metalheads sew a million patches into this would be my white whale:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

"The streets are very dangerous and there's a raging epidemic of violence in our nation." - Franklin Graham

So, is he ignorant of the actual FBI crime statistics showing a steady decline in violent crime since the 1970s and 1980s, or is he just lying? Considering his credentials I am inclined to suspect the latter.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/hecktow/status/780550146731876352

Very good cross examination here.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

I wonder if it was found near the 55 gallon drum of personal lubricant.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I thought that the benefits of omega 3's don't really scale up as you take more. Like how excess B-vitamins just get flushed out of the system and down the toilet.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Fiore and Graham at the refuge: https://goo.gl/images/zYUDHo

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

If i had one of those denim jackets metalheads sew a million patches into this would be my white whale:

Im a big fan of the spy satellites

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Goodpancakes posted:

Im a big fan of the spy satellites

My fave:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chubby lady fails at Lara Croft cosplay.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I thought that the benefits of omega 3's don't really scale up as you take more. Like how excess B-vitamins just get flushed out of the system and down the toilet.

I read over the study quickly a few hours ago, but if I recall correctly, it was testing omega-3 supplementation against no omega-3 supplementation, not looking for a dose-dependant effect.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

Short version- it's complicated, depends on the kind of omega 3, and what it's bound to- and a lot of people take none. All of that said, I'm not sure of its efficacy either- but the evidence is more plausible for the neuro stuff than it's turned out to be for a bunch of other health outcomes (the early research that promoted general longevity claims was garbage correlation or p-hacking).

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

"The streets are very dangerous and there's a raging epidemic of violence in our nation." - Franklin Graham

So, is he ignorant of the actual FBI crime statistics showing a steady decline in violent crime since the 1970s and 1980s, or is he just lying? Considering his credentials I am inclined to suspect the latter.

Doesn't matter too much but that's off by a couple decades, kinda plateaued around 1992-1993 and steadily dropped after. Check table 1 here for the older stuff, just gives you an excel file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Seems to be the standard among the republican aligned. Trump tried passing that bullshit on tonight and Hillary shot him down like a B-17 over Berlin