Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
And it's hilarious how you beast on all of them at every thing they do, even the pink shirt girl you can defeat if you take enough pictures and thus get more memories. But. Why. If 4 pokemon is some sort of sacrilegious crime then at least let her change her pokemon a bit? It's not like she's locked to sixth gen mons only or anything, she has an absol if you pick froa- wait, hold on, her team Does change depending on your starter, right? ... holy poo poo it doesn't, i just lucked out and got her most diverse team if you pick any other pokemon she will do a repeat 3 times in which she overlaps a type despite this game's strength being how many pokemon are available.

The rival/friends suck in XY, you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Coming directly after the best rivals in Gen V did not help matters for the Friendship Brigade.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

when they die, they're going to the home for infinite losers from the dragonball dub

Space T Rex
Sep 15, 2007

Your title was so old it used HTML which isn't even allowed in titles anymore what the hell
Gary was the best rival because he didn't force you through 10 minute conversations about friendship before and after every god drat gym. The amount of hamfisted "character development" really has been turning me off to starting new games recently because it completely removes you from the game for like 5 minutes at a time, which is a long time to just sit there pressing A.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
N is a rival imo

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The only good friendship bit on my run so far is the scary mansion, it's just a lovely house with an old man asking for money after a story and everyone just has a bad time together as friends. Everything else is boring + made worse by the fact that you are always better than each and every one of them at the things they're doing. It's also odd how you get a (bad) sorta sidequest with the pink shirt girl to get that snorlax off the road by taking a detour but you have nothing of the sort with the other kids.

Hadooooken
Sep 6, 2004

Pfft, I just got a shiny lvl 100 6IV Doublade on WT for my 5IV Timid Treecko.
The OT is a website and it's some shiny-hunting german streamer who hands out shinies to get viewers.

That things going to help me get legendaries in sun and moon bc honestly I don't give a poo poo about the P2 color pokemon or competitive battling.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Hadooooken posted:

Pfft, I just got a shiny lvl 100 6IV Doublade on WT for my 5IV Timid Treecko.
The OT is a website and it's some shiny-hunting german streamer who hands out shinies to get viewers.

That things going to help me get legendaries in sun and moon bc honestly I don't give a poo poo about the P2 color pokemon or competitive battling.

XY really felt like it was supposed to be longer or more in-depth. Really felt like there were a lot of plot points that were dropped during development.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Raserys posted:

N is a rival imo

N, Bianca, Cheren, and Barry are the best rivals.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And Gary was bad because all his conversations were "I'm better than you and you should be mad about this, even though you effortlessly kick my rear end every time."

Decades of nostalgia circlejerking distilled him into an awesome jerk rival, when he was really just kind of pathetic. At least Silver eventually realized he was a dumbass.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

it's hard to be a rival when you're destined to lose in every encounter

that's probably why they went all in with you just being better than your friends in xy. didn't work tho, just made them seem pathetic

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Manatee Cannon posted:

that's probably why they went all in with you just being better than your friends in xy. didn't work tho, just made them seem pathetic

They need more optional encounters or encounters where you can lose and continue like in R/B/Y. Then they can make the rival a legit threat you aren't destined to beat every time you run into them.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Give me dark souls pokemon. The gym leaders have 6 pokemon who each have items and can cover the types weakness. They switch intelligently in battle, and losing costs you more than 1000 money

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
I still love the HG/SS rivals Golbat evolving when he stops being such a douche all the time.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zore posted:

They already changed base stats in Gen VI you know.

http://www.serebii.net/xy/updatedstats.shtml

Its a really weird cross-section of pokemon.
Holy poo poo, I did not know that! I hope they do more of that, then. And more than just ten points in one stat if the mon needs it.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

The Great Burrito posted:

I still love the HG/SS rivals Golbat evolving when he stops being such a douche all the time.
I'm more impressed he managed to get both Gengar and Alakazam evolved even before that. I can imagine him grabbing some poor trainer by the collar until the trade-back completes.

There were too many fake-outs with Silver, though; too often he'd show up and announce "you're too weak to fight me", then 30 minutes later it's "FIGHT ME, WEAKLING"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

XY really felt like it was supposed to be longer or more in-depth. Really felt like there were a lot of plot points that were dropped during development.

Yes! You can really see the seems at the second runthrough, like there's the power plant stuff everyone's noticed but then there's stuff like how the mega evoultion stuff starts off as a Quest, it's what drives everyone at the start, you visit all sorts of stone related places to try and find info... then the third gym is right next to the monument of mega evolution, owned by the guru of mega evolution, friend of the prof. and writer of the wikipedia article on mega evolution, here's a mega evolution for you by a 'mon you've met twice and seems to simply dislike his trainer. Then we actually get the Team Flare plot and Mega Evolution is just mentioned some more but isn't that big a deal.

So many routes are just lines, while some are lines with a little side dish in them, like for every Cave of Reflection (neat area) there's two that are just flat routes that cover the need of walking to another place. The game in gyms 3-5 are basically just lines, except for a dungeon that is just a straight line of flare grunts, replacing any battle on the desert. And going from the fifth to the sixth is just two cutscenes and no route.

I think there was also supposed to be side adventures with all your buddies? you get one with the pink shirt girl early on to find the furfrow, which sucks but whatever, and then when you reach the ice cave after the sixth gym you sorta get a thing in the ice cave with pokedex kid except he doesn't really show up for most of it, so.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Serena/Calem just needed a heel turn, they side with Lysandre and he gives them some rando mega (Mega Garchomp maybe?) to fill their team and suddenly poo poo gets real and all their moments of feeling extremely bummed out despite coming from great adventurers go full circle with Lysandre's talk about how the lower class should literally die because he's royal blood or whatever Professor Baguette said while staring at Lysandre's rear end in the cafe.

At this point i'm willing to bet that Mega Evolution was originally going to be something you obtain near the End of the game, you can steamroll so much with it (though i haven't because no fun in that) and nobody at all is using it against you, but then plans shifted and no time to mesh the team flare story with mega evolution anymore so they just put the mega stuff at gym 3 and then immediately began building up the villain. Does Holo Call Host E4 member show up before the pokeball factory stuff? that's the only place i noticed her and how she doesn't say a thing of Team Flare being the bad guys is a neat touch, but it's so small and miss-able, it's justifying how i didn't notice she was the same person until after beating her in the elite 4.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 27, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The mega evolution "quest" makes sense when you realize the professor was just saying poo poo to get you out of the house so he could bang your rhyhorn racing mom

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I wonder how linear Sun and Moon's quest will be. We only have the vaguest of ideas what the island challenges are. Is there a specific order or is it possible that there's little linearity and they could be done in almost any order (there might be one at the beginning that's mandatory, but after that, there's no set order).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
X/Y have lackluster story, and pretty good gameplay/Pokemon availability. I'm really looking forward to Sun/Moon, though, because the teases so far seem to be promising a very, very weird story, with a lot of deviations from the normal Pokemon formula (but using game mechanics in new ways, like with the Totems). Also the environments look amazing from the trailers, with a bunch of dense-looking areas.

I think another thing with X/Y, that some have remarked upon, is the transitional nature of it. It's the first mainline Pokemon game with 3D models, but it doesn't really extend that to the overworld. Sun/Moon finally goes most of the way in having more realistic proportions. This will likely make even small areas seem larger.

It's also not clear from the map what the overall path is. Although, it'll probably still be fairly straightforward, so there's an even leveling curve. Nobody really wants what we had in GSCHGSS.

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above
If we're talking about the Sun and Moon map, I absolutely love how the areas we've seen gameplay of look. For the first time, we have areas where it's not immediately noticeable that the areas are laid out on a grid. It looks really good, and makes for more natural looking areas

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Spatula City posted:

It's also not clear from the map what the overall path is. Although, it'll probably still be fairly straightforward, so there's an even leveling curve. Nobody really wants what we had in GSCHGSS.

I'd like to imagine that there's a dynamic level scaling mechanic where challenges that are completed earlier have lower levels then ones that are left for later. Even wild Pokémon may be subject to this.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Zuzie posted:

I'd like to imagine that there's a dynamic level scaling mechanic where challenges that are completed earlier have lower levels then ones that are left for later. Even wild Pokémon may be subject to this.

Er, why? Literally nothing has suggested this at all and they have perfect gating mechanisms in the form of the partner Pokemon as well as the fact that game is set on islands. I figure it'll be a pretty standard 'do X to impress captain dude to get a ride to the next island'. Especially since they play up not being boat captains is the whole reason Team Skull are villains.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Spatula City posted:

X/Y have lackluster story, and pretty good gameplay/Pokemon availability. I'm really looking forward to Sun/Moon, though, because the teases so far seem to be promising a very, very weird story, with a lot of deviations from the normal Pokemon formula (but using game mechanics in new ways, like with the Totems). Also the environments look amazing from the trailers, with a bunch of dense-looking areas.

I think another thing with X/Y, that some have remarked upon, is the transitional nature of it. It's the first mainline Pokemon game with 3D models, but it doesn't really extend that to the overworld. Sun/Moon finally goes most of the way in having more realistic proportions. This will likely make even small areas seem larger.

Agreed, despite all my complaints the battles and wild encounters are still great. Like, there's some Bad Choices for some important battles but just finding trainers in a route or cave is fun and varied. If SM keeps it this good with the battles and the story and characters are good then the game is gonna own.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

RC Cola posted:

Give me dark souls pokemon. The gym leaders have 6 pokemon who each have items and can cover the types weakness. They switch intelligently in battle, and losing costs you more than 1000 money

Play any given fangame or patches like BlazeBlack and VoltWhite or whatever they are. The triples version is especially dangerous because they just turned everything into triples battles without changing it from the original patch. The very first gym is full of normal type pokemon with retaliate, an almost guaranteed 140BP move in triples.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

X\Y and OR\AS are hands down the best games in the series because they cut out most of the tedious and frustrating bullshit. I managed to complete my Pokedex in those, but I wouldn't dream of doing it in previous games.

ORAS was really boring to me. Sure the graphics core mechanics were up to date but the overall structure of the game felt outdated. And while I liked XY, it felt incomplete despite also being huge, and it was too easy. It was designed with a "more is more" philosophy and they kept adding pieces without thinking of how they fit together. BW was my favorite because of how cohesive the whole thing was, and SuMo looks like it shares a lot of those qualities, with the added benefit of being 3D-er than XY.

Zore posted:

That was part of a weird nerf to special attacks with 90+ power across the board. Some things benefited (Energy Ball went from 80->90, Power Gem 70->80) but Surf/Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt went from 95->90 and Hydro Pump/Blizzard/Thunder/Fire Blast went from 120->110.

Gen VI had a lot of weird little re-balances like that.

Like Aura Sphere went from 90->80, Dragon Pulse 90->85, the Pledges from 50->80, Knock Off from 20->65, Snore from 40->50 (lol).

There were a ton of tweaks to power/pp.

Like others have said, they did it because there's no special equivalent of intimidate/burn, but I really wish they left the 120 moves alone. The reduced accuracy compared to the 90/95 moves makes them balanced enough IMO. Plus it's harder to mentally calculate multiplier for 110 than it is for 120.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
S&M are going to be the best drat games in the series. Sorry for swearing

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Dexie posted:

N, Bianca, Cheren, and Barry are the best rivals.

:yeah:

Raserys posted:

S&M are going to be the best drat games in the series. Sorry for swearing

I forgive you, and also you're right.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
XY leveled down from all the babies complaining about losing to brock or roxanne over and over.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

And it's hilarious how you beast on all of them at every thing they do, even the pink shirt girl you can defeat if you take enough pictures and thus get more memories.
Huh. Did not know that.

How do you beat Tierno at dancing though?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

by making a team with more dance moves than his, of course

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Sick Skating Stunts.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Paul.Power posted:

Huh. Did not know that.

How do you beat Tierno at dancing though?

not being fat

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

So this is a little embarrassing, but could someone explain PokeBank to me? I skipped Gen VI and only have the vaguest idea that it's how you transfer Pokemon to gens after V, but I'd like to see my Unovan friends in Gen VII once that's possible. I feel like I've heard it's a subscription service, but that doesn't seem right because I get the impression that literally everyone uses it.

Also I'm pages late for nickname chat because I accidentally unbookmarked the thread but just today I came up with Aqua Rager(as in Regia) for Gyarados

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Pokebank is a cloud-based set of 100 boxes to store your pokemon in. You can transfer pokemon from gen 5 to it in a one-way transfer, in a process that is extremely painful for BW and moderately painful for B2W2. You can also transfer pokemon to and from gen 6 games. Once gen 7 comes out, you'll be able to access both those games and the virtual console gen 1 games (which will be one-way transfers). Pokemon that migrate to gen 7 can never go back to gen 6. The service costs $5 a year, and you get what you pay for in just about the least user friendly program imaginable. Still, it's the only way to transfer pokemon between generations past 5.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Well I suppose it's better than a lovely 6/day minigame. :v: Considering it's a kid's game though part of me feels like they shouldn't charge anything for the migration, if not the expanded storage. Thanks for the explanation!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Ka0 posted:

XY leveled down from all the babies complaining about losing to brock or roxanne over and over.

That's me, I'm a dirty pokemon casual.

Also, the only TRPG I liked enough to actually beat was Fire Emblem Awakening, aka Fire Emblem for babies

Let's be honest though, Brock is pretty awful in Yellow.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yes! You can really see the seems at the second runthrough, like there's the power plant stuff everyone's noticed but then there's stuff like how the mega evoultion stuff starts off as a Quest, it's what drives everyone at the start, you visit all sorts of stone related places to try and find info... then the third gym is right next to the monument of mega evolution, owned by the guru of mega evolution, friend of the prof. and writer of the wikipedia article on mega evolution, here's a mega evolution for you by a 'mon you've met twice and seems to simply dislike his trainer. Then we actually get the Team Flare plot and Mega Evolution is just mentioned some more but isn't that big a deal.

So many routes are just lines, while some are lines with a little side dish in them, like for every Cave of Reflection (neat area) there's two that are just flat routes that cover the need of walking to another place. The game in gyms 3-5 are basically just lines, except for a dungeon that is just a straight line of flare grunts, replacing any battle on the desert. And going from the fifth to the sixth is just two cutscenes and no route.

I think there was also supposed to be side adventures with all your buddies? you get one with the pink shirt girl early on to find the furfrow, which sucks but whatever, and then when you reach the ice cave after the sixth gym you sorta get a thing in the ice cave with pokedex kid except he doesn't really show up for most of it, so.

Serena/Calem just needed a heel turn, they side with Lysandre and he gives them some rando mega (Mega Garchomp maybe?) to fill their team and suddenly poo poo gets real and all their moments of feeling extremely bummed out despite coming from great adventurers go full circle with Lysandre's talk about how the lower class should literally die because he's royal blood or whatever Professor Baguette said while staring at Lysandre's rear end in the cafe.

At this point i'm willing to bet that Mega Evolution was originally going to be something you obtain near the End of the game, you can steamroll so much with it (though i haven't because no fun in that) and nobody at all is using it against you, but then plans shifted and no time to mesh the team flare story with mega evolution anymore so they just put the mega stuff at gym 3 and then immediately began building up the villain. Does Holo Call Host E4 member show up before the pokeball factory stuff? that's the only place i noticed her and how she doesn't say a thing of Team Flare being the bad guys is a neat touch, but it's so small and miss-able, it's justifying how i didn't notice she was the same person until after beating her in the elite 4.

I think they were rushed and wanted to use real ideas like Rhyhorn racing, the power plant, and making AZ relevant alongside Zygarde for the Z Version and whelp...:shrug:

The rival going villainous, even for a short time, would have been an enormous improvement for them and Team Flare, I do agree. Mega Evolution should have absolutely been kept later in the game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
I wonder what the inaccessible racetrack was going to be used for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

racing, probably