Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Super Mario Bros. Deluxe is a pretty decent port of SMB1 with The Lost Levels included as a bonus (well, Worlds 1-8, anyway), and some extra modes besides (like "Vs. Boo" races or a Challenge Mode where you have to locate five red coins and a Yoshi egg).

Metal Gear Solid (aka Ghost Babel) is a pretty decent little adaptation of the PS1 game's gameplay (or maybe the second MSX game's?) to the Game Boy Color. Haven't bought this one yet myself, but want to.

Get the Wario Lands. Just do it. Both of them. Fun little puzzle platformers. You can't die in them, so it becomes more of a matter of finding the way forward with your various transformation abilities. 3 is more of a Metroidvania than 2 (you start out weak and get stronger as the game goes on).

Pretty much every Zelda on GBC is a good one. Heck, I'm still partial to the DX version of Link's Awakening...

Random Stranger posted:

Gambit: worst X-Man gets the worst X-Men stage.
And yet gets the best music.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Probably because component is cheaper and simpler to implement; RCA plugs (BNC connectors on PVMs and the D-Terminal connector in Japan notwithstanding), only three cables, and a defined way that is should all work, especially since there's no one RGB standard in general, and there wasn't one at all for the home entertainment space in North America. It's an improvement over composite and S-Video signals, and consumer-friendly.

While the countries in Europe got the option for RGB because of the SCART connector interface, it probably took off only because the French government mandated it on all TVs sold in France after January 1980, and other European TV manufacturers included it lest they be totally cut out of the French market. If that had not occurred, it would probably have been underutilized also.

Also because Europe was a clusterfuck of video standards and RGB output was the only way for video equipment to be guaranteed to work with people's TV's.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The other reason component is a thing, is that it was the native recording format of a lot of different sorts of media.

Take for instance D1 tape, the first major digital format for TV production, which Sony released in 1986. That was a completely uncompressed digital format recorded to tape, and the component video style was used instead of full RGB because it allowed for more efficient use of tape. They held a whole 94 minutes of digital video at a time where the same format on available hard disks would hold mere seconds. Effectively, the format gave you better than DVD quality, due to being full SD resolution but without any compression artifacts beyond the very minor loss of color detail in component storage versus full RGB.

With that, and some earlier analog component video formats being used in production/recording in order to get improved quality recording when RGB wasn't practical, lots of high end TV sets and other devices incorporated this support from professional equipment, and it became the standard "better than s-video" format to use. It's also fairly easy to implement for both the display device and the output device in comparison to full RGB systems, and can be a bit more reliable with lovely cables than full RGB.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That makes sense, especially in an era when data storage and processing power were still very expensive. Pare down the RGB signals to something more basic with less redundant data (thus reducing storage needs and increasing the amount of data that could be stored), while still maintaining greater signal separation and better video quality than S-Video and composite video.

Or course, according to Wikipedia, D1 tapes alone were $200 ($439 today, adjusted for inflation from 1986 dollars), and the first Sony DVR-1000 deck to use them had an MSRP of $160,000 ($351,000 today). So not something that even the most hardcore AV enthusiasts of the era could aspire to own, unless they had a serious use case for it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kthulhu5000 posted:

That makes sense, especially in an era when data storage and processing power were still very expensive. Pare down the RGB signals to something more basic with less redundant data (thus reducing storage needs and increasing the amount of data that could be stored), while still maintaining greater signal separation and better video quality than S-Video and composite video.

Or course, according to Wikipedia, D1 tapes alone were $200 ($439 today, adjusted for inflation from 1986 dollars), and the first Sony DVR-1000 deck to use them had an MSRP of $160,000 ($351,000 today). So not something that even the most hardcore AV enthusiasts of the era could aspire to own, unless they had a serious use case for it.

Oh yeah you were only actually getting a D1 deck to use at home if you were some sort of semi-professional user or just plain rich/ in the TV industry, and I don't think there was ever consumer release of pre-recorded content for it. But the development to put the input capability in studio monitors and TVs that television execs and the like would have for reviewing the latest shoots meant they'd also developed a way to have it in regular TVs.

So it was just right there already when things like DVD were being developed, or even higher end Super VCD players, and there were some ways to hook up high end computers by it. Also remember that HDTV specifications were being developed in the late 80s and early 90s even though most people wouldn't start using it until the early 2000s, and inclusion of component input on TVs was envisioned as a way decoders for the future format could be attached to TVs that would be sold long before the standards were finalized.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
What are people's opinion of the RetroN5? I have been looking into getting one for when my original hardware decides it wants to be finicky or I want to stream an older title since I can't get my Elgato, OBS and older systems to play nice with one and other.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mateo360 posted:

What are people's opinion of the RetroN5? I have been looking into getting one for when my original hardware decides it wants to be finicky or I want to stream an older title since I can't get my Elgato, OBS and older systems to play nice with one and other.

You might as well look at getting some kind of PC-based emulator setup, since that's essentially what the Retron 5 is - it dumps your cart to a ROM image and then runs it in a software emulator, all in a fancy package.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kthulhu5000 posted:

You might as well look at getting some kind of PC-based emulator setup, since that's essentially what the Retron 5 is - it dumps your cart to a ROM image and then runs it in a software emulator, all in a fancy package.

This.

If you want like a dedicated set top box for emulation, I'm really loving my Shield TV - poweful enough to run Dreamcast emulation, can do NVidia gamestream-ing from my PC, and can do Netflix and all that other stuff too. Great device and a solid controller, though I really need to pair my 8bitdo controller to it.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
any responses that don't involve making a :filez: setup? I still want to use my cartridges.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mateo360 posted:

For that purpose, it should be totally fine. It's not a replacement for the original consoles, though.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

mateo360 posted:

any responses that don't involve making a :filez: setup? I still want to use my cartridges.

It's not files maaaan just delete the ROMs after 24 hours! :v:

But yeah, for your purpose [using physical carts], maybe the retron might be the best idea?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mateo360 posted:

Get another OEM console that is less finicky? Replace the part that is giving it trouble? Get a capture card that plays more nicely with your stuff, or maybe equipment to make your consoles work more nicely with it?

I'm not being snarky; I just think these would be better options to explore than dumping $180+ (per Amazon) on what is basically a glorified emulation box, made by a company that is known for being less than stellar in terms of quality, and that has all the downsides of using actual cartridges with the risk of damaging them in the bargain (or so the hearsay goes).

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Maybe you can still source a Retrode, somehow

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Code Jockey posted:

It's not files maaaan just delete the ROMs after 24 hours! :v:

But yeah, for your purpose [using physical carts], maybe the retron might be the best idea?

There's the RetroFreak, which is the one I've had my eye on. Maybe for Christmas :unsmith:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-cyber-gadget-retro-freak-review

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

mateo360 posted:

or I want to stream an older title since I can't get my Elgato, OBS and older systems to play nice with one and other.

What problems are you having? I and I'm sure some others stream retro consoles using that same hardware/software.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I don't know how true it is but I remember hearing on an episode of Retronauts that the Retron 5 has some stolen emulators in it. I don't know if that would affect your decision or not.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mariooncrack posted:

I don't know how true it is but I remember hearing on an episode of Retronauts that the Retron 5 has some stolen emulators in it. I don't know if that would affect your decision or not.

They're freely available emulators, but they are used against their license on the RetroN 5. That's the issue. In some countries that's completely legal, in most it isn't, but the people whose work is being used can't really afford to sue over it.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Just dl the carts you own? Then like just get a cheap Android device and a controller and tv cable? 30 bucks for a cheap smartphone and like 35 more for a FC30 gamepad and I have a cheap portable mp3 player, wifi internet, and emulation device that fits in my pocket. Ill be buying and testing video out tonight when I buy a cable. The emu stealing keeps me from the Retron. There are also Raspi solutions too but less easy to play Pocket Pool see what I did there?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Captain Rufus posted:

Just dl the carts you own? Then like just get a cheap Android device and a controller and tv cable? 30 bucks for a cheap smartphone and like 35 more for a FC30 gamepad and I have a cheap portable mp3 player, wifi internet, and emulation device that fits in my pocket. Ill be buying and testing video out tonight when I buy a cable. The emu stealing keeps me from the Retron. There are also Raspi solutions too but less easy to play Pocket Pool see what I did there?

yeah but you can only download roms for games you already own and you have to delete them after 24 hours.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Yeah the Retron is a weird middle ground of compromises. I guess if you just have to plug in working carts to feel authentic? In my mind you might as well just go retro pie and get a better package for less dough. Stuff it into an old console shell if you need the cool factor.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

mariooncrack posted:

fishmech posted:

They're freely available emulators, but they are used against their license on the RetroN 5. That's the issue. In some countries that's completely legal, in most it isn't, but the people whose work is being used can't really afford to sue over it.

they actually address this in their FAQ

RetroN5 FAQ posted:

Q. I hear that Retron uses 'stolen' open source code?

A. It is true that RetroN5 uses open source code, almost every major project does these days. Although it is hard to imagine how something that is available for free can be stolen, it is true that some of the Open Source Licenses have a "Not for Commercial use" clause. Although the legality of such a clause is itself debatable, we do try to ensure that Retron only uses truly 'Open' Open Source as opposed to such 'restricted' Open Source.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Just about any other emulation solution is better and cheaper than getting a Retron and if you absolutely need to engage with your carts in some way then just like place them on top of your computer or RetroPie or whatever and make believe, that's basically what you're doing with the Retron anyway.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
One thing I've realized getting back into retro games.
My brother is big into music and can go get a new record player that was made this year.
My NES cartridges on the other hand? At best see the discussion on RetroN.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Records still get produced, is the difference there.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

mateo360 posted:

I like the Retron5. With the current firmware I don't have any compatibility issues. Using original hardware with RGB mods and a quality upscaler would be better but that costs a few times the cost of the Retron. The supplied controller sucks for anything other than RPG's, I just got a SNES extension cable and use a SNES controller, yes even for Genesis games since I'm not a fan of the Genesis controller... BRING THE HATE. If you already have carts, get it. If not, emulate. If downloading roms weirds you out, Virtual Console or game collections on newer consoles are the way to go.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

I preordered Pat Contri's Ultimate Guide to the NES Library book and it arrived today. So I will be flipping through that tonight while watching the douche bag and turd sandwich go at each other.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

kirbysuperstar posted:

The first vinyl I ever bought was Daft Punk's 2013 album Random Access Memories

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

mateo360 posted:

therapy to get over this psychological hangup

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Now if Merkinman's brother was into 8 tracks....

Re GBC chat: I am a dumb for forgetting about Oracle of Ages and Seasons along with some of the other big hits. But is there anything outside of the major titles everyone posted worth playing on GBC? All I have worth mentioning is Magical Drop, Crystalis, and Hamtaro: Ham Hams Unite and two out of three are ports. My problem is I should know better to try and find a cool game (GBC or otherwise) in a game shop in early fall: immediately after peak season.

Also Also, if anyone doesn't mind ports and remakes plus needs their Kunio-kun fix The physical copy of River City: Tokyo Rumble went live on Amazon. Maybe I'll finish this one, finally.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Turbinosamente posted:

Side question that has nothing to do with anything, what are the good games on Gameboy Color specifically? I've been going through my collection lately and noticed that I have very few GBC games, roughly 8 or so, if I do not include black cart Gameboy games. Is this why GBC is lumped in with regular old GB? I'm having trouble thinking of a smash hit clear cart GBC game that isn't Pokemon Crystal.

Dragon Warrior 1-2, Dragon Warrior 3, Dragon Warrior/Quest Monsters, Zelda Oracle games, Link's Awakening DX, the Star Wars Pod Racing game is ok but takes a bit to get the controls down (has neat rumble feature).

al-azad
May 28, 2009

mateo360 posted:

they actually address this in their FAQ

Jesus, this is sooo scummy! "Other people steal so why make such a big deal?" They're basically pissing on the GPL and Creative Commons, which are legal licenses that can be upheld in court. In most cases the rights are retained by the creator but they allow distribution (a license) provided the modification of their software is under the same license. But I'm sure if you modified the Retron and redistributed it their lawyers would be knocking at your door the next day.

Epic offers their multi-million dollar game engine for free... and then they ask for a cut when you start earning income because that's how software loving works Hyperkin you goddamn hacks.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

al-azad posted:

Jesus, this is sooo scummy! "Other people steal so why make such a big deal?" They're basically pissing on the GPL and Creative Commons, which are legal licenses that can be upheld in court. In most cases the rights are retained by the creator but they allow distribution (a license) provided the modification of their software is under the same license. But I'm sure if you modified the Retron and redistributed it their lawyers would be knocking at your door the next day.

Epic offers their multi-million dollar game engine for free... and then they ask for a cut when you start earning income because that's how software loving works Hyperkin you goddamn hacks.

I don't want to be 'That guy" but as a software developer that submits code to open source projects, this makes my stomach turn. I didn't realize the RetroN5 did this and it makes me even less likely to purchase one. As is I wasn't super sold on using that over an emulator, which I did in college. Not having the TV/Console/Controller meant I was a tourist with the games. It just doesn't have the same hook when there is 'no money on the game' maybe, or maybe it was simply the fact that there is that magic nostalgia to playing it on the old console. The experience just has a certain Je ne sais quoi, as the saying goes.

As an aside, I just got gifted a older CRT TV for my use with my old SNES, and I was curious about updating the cables. I still only have the Composite cables, and I was looking into the RGB Vs. Component, etc. that spawned this entire discussion this page ( Sorry, not sorry ). I was curious if there is any difference between the S-Video cables up on eBay that are advertised for GCN/SNES/N64? I never had a TV that could use a S-Video cable as a kid, so it was never even on my radar.

I see a bunch that are going for sub-$10 and then some that go for slightly more and look like they may be more official, then lastly the :laffo: Monster Cable style ones as well.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

There's a lot of terrible cheap "S-Video" cables on Ebay that are just unshielded composite cables with S-video plugs.

I recommend these cables. They are actually properly wired and shielded, and don't cost $$$ like monster cables: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131782319627?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

kirbysuperstar posted:

Well why don't NES carts still get produced? Do we need some movement to say those games are ~warmer~?

Seriously though, that's a simple point I didn't think of.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Monitor Burn posted:

There's a lot of terrible cheap "S-Video" cables on Ebay that are just unshielded composite cables with S-video plugs.

I recommend these cables. They are actually properly wired and shielded, and don't cost $$$ like monster cables: http://www.ebay.com/itm/131782319627?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So glad I asked! Thanks bud.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

The Merkinman posted:

Well why don't NES carts still get produced? Do we need some movement to say those games are ~warmer~?

Pretty much that. There's a difference in jumping from an analog record to a digital CD. An NES game was digital to start with so there is little difference between playing the game on an original cart, everdrive, emulator, what have you. The game program remains the same. Even game companies themselves re release their back catalog on to different formats. This is how I own four copies of Sonic 1 over three systems without even trying. There still are NES carts made as either reproductions, bootlegs, or the occasional homebrew but its pretty niche outside of bootleggers looking to make a buck on fake games.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

The Merkinman posted:

Lack of demand for it to be worthwhile.

http://wisdomtreegames.com/store.html Wisdom Tree sells their old Christain games as new carts so it's not a completely dead scene. I know there was a successful NES game kickstarter a year or two back whose name escapes me that was also getting a physical release for backers.

I'd guess with vinyl it's an outdated niche format, but it's _the_ outdated niche format compared to "I want my game on an old console" meaning you have a dozen choices. If you want to get into vinyl you need one record player and you can play whatever. If you want to get into old games you're going to need a good six or so consoles to cover the mainstream systems only.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
My wife loves the Retron 5.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Merkinman posted:

One thing about NES carts is that there isn't just one kind of cart that all games used. There are different sizes of ROM chips, different mappers for managing data in the ROMs (such as bank switching), and even some special or custom chips used by some games (primarily on the Famicom side of things, but the NES might have a few), for stuff like custom audio. So creating new versions of NES games would involve having to source a bunch of new boards, compatible ROM chips (both in pinout and probably voltage), and any custom chips or memory controllers the game in question might have used. And in the latter case, they may have gone out of production decades ago, and starting production back up would be a pretty major undertaking, especially if all the manufacturing specs and data are lost or incomplete.

Compare this to pressing vinyl discs which, even with the great decline in plant capacity to do it, is a relatively basic and cheap process. And once that new disc is pressed, it'll probably work on your new player made today, or one from 1976, or even one from 1936.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
To be fair there are a lot of home brews out there but oddly less for the NES than say the pre crash systems. At this point there might be as many homebrew Vectrex game releases as there are original ones! The Intellivision and Atari 2600 do well there too. (If we count 80s computers it gets ridiculous. Like physical copies and everything.)

Hell, the Colecovision has titles designed for a fan made enhancer that is intended to be a thing Coleco never made in the day because they were too busy loving themselves in the rear end with the ADAM, the only thing to make even the 360 look reliable!

Now some of these titles are just ports of other games, many of which have no point because Galaga on the CV isn't gonna compare to even the NES one, much less all the modern arcade collections! And then take in the fact that many of them are clearly infringing on IP to do so and it becomes VERY iffy as to why anyone should give them money for it.

Like repro carts but with more work involved. Now paying fair prices for original new games or clear inspirations but improved and not just IP theft? I'm cool with that. (Or if they just release their fan port for free on emulation/flash carts. Just don't charge money for your Donkey Kong remake or your Asteroids on X System thing.)

• Locked thread