Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
This feels like it was funnier in Oliver's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Yeah it was pretty lovely

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to one (hopefully) last Carlos Danger update soon.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

GobiasIndustries posted:

Looking forward to one (hopefully) last Carlos Danger update soon.

Came here to say this. Carlos Danger rides again.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's this week's web exclusive in case anyone missed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzCgVltuzEk

That made me cringe a bit.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I just saw the API's ad against EPA mandates while watching Colbert on the CBS app.

So...

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 1, 2016

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apumpVGBpP8

Pretty meh web exclusive. I wouldn't have even bothered posting it except the beginning joke about Labour Day is a joke I've been making my whole life since I was born on Labour Day.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Asiina posted:

I wouldn't have even bothered posting it except the beginning joke about Labour Day is a joke I've been making my whole life since I was born on Labour Day.

Bless you.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
edit: nevermind

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.

:drat:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

:boom:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's this week's web exclusive in case anyone missed it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzCgVltuzEk

What the hell was this?

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
John was testing out a new bit, or he lost a dare idk whatever.

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
I miss the Bugle because John's shtick is to be righteously indignant about current events and sorely needs and an Andy Zaltsman to play devil's advocate. Like every one of Last Week's segments could be improved by a "You know John..." justification of said event and then followed by a pun run.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

gently caress you John, birds are great.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lurks Morington posted:

I miss the Bugle because John's shtick is to be righteously indignant about current events and sorely needs and an Andy Zaltsman to play devil's advocate. Like every one of Last Week's segments could be improved by a "You know John..." justification of said event and then followed by a pun run.

No one wants a pun run

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's the new video in case anyone missed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l2Y6Z-maAU

Doctor Reynolds posted:

But what are they?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh0Y2hVe_bw

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 12, 2016

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Great, another shill for Big Bird.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
LWT took the best writing and variety show Emmys this year

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/777698042161934337

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I'm with John, wtf is Kars4Kids.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Why did his youtube channel upload that old Syrian Refugee video the other day? :confused:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

Why did his youtube channel upload that old Syrian Refugee video the other day? :confused:

I think was because noted shitbird Mike Huckabee was making an almost identical argument to Trump Jr's poisoned Skittles™ bit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I was under the impression that was the specific episode they were Emmy nominated for.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

swickles posted:

I was under the impression that was the specific episode they were Emmy nominated/won for.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

I wish he had spent more time on Trump than Hillary.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

stone cold posted:

Actually I prefer it this way. Unlike most things in the media it was an actually fair coverage of both sides. And it thoroughly showed that saying Hillary is just as bad as Trump is absolutely ridiculous.

If he just covered Trumps bullshit, everyone would just close their ears and claim, that she's just as bad.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

stone cold posted:

I mean, overall he has by a lot.

The point of this segment was not just a cathartic act of preaching to the choir (though it was that too), it was more to try and put in perspective Clinton's scandals. He needs to take time to explain Clinton's issues because he's very carefully not dismissing them or criticizing people who think they're real issues... he's just trying to bring them into an appropriate contrast with Trump.

If you've looked into Clinton's issues, and you think they're a legitimate concern... you're not being unreasonable. And if someone said to you that you were being dumb for caring about that poo poo, you would be understandably put off. The thing is, it is dumb to care about those things to the point where you won't vote for her. Because that's either half a vote for Trump (if you stay home or vote third party), or perhaps a whole vote for Trump which would be horrific.

John Oliver did a good job of explaining that because he first explained that he understood how that hypothetical fence sitter feels. And then, by accepting those concerns as valid, he showed that even more valid concerns should preclude anyone who cares about that poo poo from not supporting her.

It's crazy that it's a point that even needs to be made, but there's something about these figures... Maybe it's because corrupt politicians are seen as selfish, while corrupt businessmen are just doing their job or something. Or maybe it's because she's been subject of right wing media attacks for two decades, and he's been a jokes for two decades. Or maybe it's because she's a woman and he's a bro. But whatever it is, people have a hard time recognizing the order of magnitude difference between these two, so I'm really glad he put this out there the way he did.

The whole segment is on Youtube if people want to share it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Lfd1aB9YI

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Eiba posted:

It's crazy that it's a point that even needs to be made, but there's something about these figures... Maybe it's because corrupt politicians are seen as selfish, while corrupt businessmen are just doing their job or something. Or maybe it's because she's been subject of right wing media attacks for two decades, and he's been a jokes for two decades. Or maybe it's because she's a woman and he's a bro. But whatever it is, people have a hard time recognizing the order of magnitude difference between these two, so I'm really glad he put this out there the way he did.
It's mostly because everything in Trump's behavior literally celebrate the fact that he is an rear end in a top hat/the devil, while Clinton and her supporters like to claim the moral high ground (there in the foggy swamp of "kinda shady" near Trump's "giant hole in the earth tower of morality"). The worse part is that following the traditional American political tactics of throwing "Everything but the kitchen sink" at him make it worse because he just stand and nod stupidly while you all loving panic. You can't throw poo poo at a pile of poo poo like Trump and be surprised he is growing bigger, can you?

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I've been waiting for ever for someone to do a piece like this, it was great. I'm a bit mad but not surprised that it had to come from a comedian and not a journalist.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
Stop encouraging these people by voting! It's like throwing tires on a dumpster fire.

God I hate everything about this election.

"You can't throw poo poo at a pile of poo poo, without making a bigger pile of poo poo."

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"The election is neck and neck*!"

* according to a few cherry-picked polls, please don't ever find fivethirtyeight.com.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hey guys, have fun picking between the candidate you don't really like that much and the bringer of the apocalypse.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Hey guys, have fun picking between the candidate you don't really like that much and the bringer of the apocalypse.
The right choice was obvious months ago but let me repeat it to you every 5 seconds every loving part of the day on every media, just in case you missed it, or like you are loving stupid, i hope it doesn't drive you mad or make you fell like we are loving assholes too. I don't want to feel like i didn't help even if it doesn't really help.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"The election is neck and neck*!"

* according to a few cherry-picked polls, please don't ever find fivethirtyeight.com.

Well... Hillary is only at 54% now and I am prepared that Trump gets the softest of softballs in the debate. Goddammit America, you loving deserve Trump! I just wish you wouldn't pull the rest of the world down into this pile of poo poo once you enact your political suicide.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Toplowtech posted:

The right choice was obvious months ago but let me repeat it to you every 5 seconds every loving part of the day on every media, just in case you missed it, or like you are loving stupid, i hope it doesn't drive you mad or make you fell like we are loving assholes too. I don't want to feel like i didn't help even if it doesn't really help.

The right choice would have been never to have let him get near the presidential nomination in the first place but this is how desperate the Republican party has become. Basically any of the other primary candidates would have at least been tolerable as presidents (I mean I wouldn't have voted for them but I'm Canadian so I don't get a say anyway). But no, they had to go with the crazy one.

Of course the real problem with Trump's candidacy is how it's been handled by the media - they're all playing the "well both sides have some flaws" game and by doing that they're normalizing people like Trump. Even if he loses, there's just going to be more people like him running in future elections.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 26, 2016

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The right choice would have been never to have let him get near the presidential nomination in the first place but this is how desperate the Republican party has become. Basically any of the other primary candidates would have at least been tolerable as presidents (I mean I wouldn't have voted for them but I'm Canadian so I don't get a say anyway). But no, they had to go with the crazy one.

Of course the real problem with Trump's candidacy is how it's been handled by the media - they're all playing the "well both sides have some flaws" game and by doing that they're normalizing people like Trump. Even if he loses, there's just going to be more people like him running in future elections.

Actually most of the other Republican candidates were empty suits with the same or worse opinions on most important issues. About the only thing Trump is appreciably to the right of any major candidate on is his magical thinking on global trade. And since Mike Pence would be running the country anyway while Trump went on a four-year book tour, you would not be getting different from them anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MiddleOne posted:

Of the 4 Democratic Candidates for President since I've been able to vote, Hillary is easily top two with the unstoppable Juggernaut that is Campaign Obama. If you were ok with Gore or Kerry there's no reasonable no-Hillary position.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Eiba posted:

The point of this segment was not just a cathartic act of preaching to the choir (though it was that too), it was more to try and put in perspective Clinton's scandals.
I remember when he was cathartic, put stories into perspective, and was funny all at the same time. But after hearing about the context for this image, it seems like he's still not bothering to do the last bit outside of "pop culture reference." Here is he dragging my beloved New Jersey Devils through the mud by connecting a fake quote of Hillary saying "I am the devil" by talking about her fictional time as that team's mascot.

I know that Sam Bee has gotten some flack for her misrepresentation of Bernie Sanders supporters, but at least she makes an effort to be funny, which is more than you can say about John Oliver over the past year or so. He's a very funny person, he just chooses not to be for reasons that I can't quite make sense about.

I want this show to be worth watching like it was at the beginning of its run, but it's clear that this isn't his goal anymore.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Y-Hat posted:

I remember when he was cathartic, put stories into perspective, and was funny all at the same time. But after hearing about the context for this image, it seems like he's still not bothering to do the last bit outside of "pop culture reference." Here is he dragging my beloved New Jersey Devils through the mud by connecting a fake quote of Hillary saying "I am the devil" by talking about her fictional time as that team's mascot.

He's always done the pop culture reference thing though?

Y-Hat posted:

Here is he dragging my beloved New Jersey Devils through the mud by connecting a fake quote of Hillary saying "I am the devil" by talking about her fictional time as that team's mascot.

Seriously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

xcore posted:

He's always done the pop culture reference thing though?
He used to have more jokes in his repertoire. Not only is this not funny, I'd hesitate to even call it a joke. One thing that struck me in his standup, his time at The Daily Show, and even the beginning of Last Week Tonight was that he was very funny, and I thought he earned his own show with his own hosting stint on TDS. I never listened to The Bugle, but I hear that he was very funny there too. Today, though, he's degraded himself to Family Guy humor as the only way to lighten things up. It's embarrassing. He can and should be much better.

xcore posted:

Seriously?
It's the perfect example of a "pop culture reference as the joke" moment from the latest episode, plus it's my hockey team.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 27, 2016

• Locked thread