Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Crow Jane posted:

My peeve is that it's the year 2016 and I had to teach my brand new smartphone the word "hell" when typing that sentence. It's the mayonnaise of curse words, ffs

It's cute how puritanical phones are, if I never corrected mine it'd look like I was constantly bowlderizing myself. The main positive is I get to learn weird new words. "Deem this shilsole traffic, what the helm are we slowing down for now?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
On my last phone, I used the name Rodchenko in a text once. drat thing wanted to insert it everywhere for years afterwards

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

I would be happy to vocally express my dislike of mustard. I loving hate mustard. I loathe it. I have felt this way my entire life. It tastes like death and smells even worse.

Makes it happy fun times when dealing with hot dogs. There seems to be this snobby hot dog "thing" where you're supposed to put mustard on hot dogs and only babby children put ketchup on them. I once saw a web page that proudly proclaimed "No one over the age of 12 should put ketchup on hot dogs. :smug:" gently caress OFF with that poo poo. Of all the things to be snobby about, loving hot dogs, seriously?!

That wasn't just any website, that was the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council. National. Council.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

aardwolf posted:

That wasn't just any website, that was the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council. National. Council.

Maybe we should ask them if a hot dog is a sandwich.

ZakAce
May 15, 2007

GF
I don't like mayonnaise being on sandwiches willy-nilly, but that's because I have a food intolerance towards eggs (specifically, egg whites). I don't break out in hives or throw up or anything major, but if I have quiches or macaroons or mayonnaise, then a few hours later I end up feeling a bit queasy. It's not the worst thing ever, but it's not fun and I'd rather avoid it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

cash crab posted:

I have some classes where people leave ten minutes before class ends. This class ends at six; you probably don't have another class right away, and even if you do, ten minute breaks are provided to accommodate this. Finally, our campus is small enough that, with a few exceptions, every single classroom is less than ten minutes away from each other. Want a coffee or something? Be late for the next class. It's way less distracting to show up late than it is to leave early.

I am still unclear on if it's appropriate to turn to someone in class and go, "Hey, could you keep it down, please?"

Back in the deep dark days of 1999 I used to TA and do guest lectures on a few subjects. The sound of the early zipping up of bags would drive me insane. "I have ten minutes you fuckstains. It doesn't take long to put your poo poo away! Shut up and listen!"

I wish I could have said that.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
POKER.

I will poke the next dude who tells me what they folded in the eye. I don't care. I don't care! It's not that interesting that you folded 9-4 and the flop was 994. That's not interesting!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

aardwolf posted:

Yes, that was the one! I had this creeping sensation of seething rage as I read that.

Those guys need to get over themselves.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It's cute how puritanical phones are, if I never corrected mine it'd look like I was constantly bowlderizing myself. The main positive is I get to learn weird new words. "Deem this shilsole traffic, what the helm are we slowing down for now?"

Admittedly they just got a new update so this may no longer be true, but I like how iOS does it - it won't ever accept what it recognises as a swear into the autocorrect dictionary because ~the children~, but at the same time if you do type a swear accurately it won't try to change it .

Now if only it didn't try to change other accurately typed words on me because I typed another word one letter off once. :argh:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Intoluene posted:

Maybe we should ask them if a hot dog is a sandwich.

Their answer is that it is not.

Now, if you really wanna have a spicy conversarion, ask Miriam-Webster their opinion on the matter.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Crow Jane posted:

On my last phone, I used the name Rodchenko in a text once. drat thing wanted to insert it everywhere for years afterwards

I use a swipe-ey keyboard thing (because I have huge dumb hands and it's easier to use when I don't have physical keys for tactile feedback), and for some reason my last phone constantly wanted to write 'abd' instead of 'and'. I had never used the word 'abd' before, was only vaguely aware that it WAS a word, constantly corrected it to 'and' every time for a year, and STILL every time I moved my finger through A-N-D, if I didn't get the movement just right my phone was like "OH YOU MUST MEAN ABD, THAT MAKES SENSE, ABD IT IS THEN."

Finally I deleted it from my dictionary, but for a while I just wanted to see if it would ever learn.

Parasol Prophet has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Sep 25, 2016

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

fizzymercy posted:

You're right, a jet cold glass of water when you're thirsty is literally the most amazing thing in the world. People who hate water are broken.

Thirst makes everything wet taste good. Just like hunger is the best sauce.

Every time I came inside on the farm back in the day, I'd take a long drink of cold water from the tap. It tasted like the nectar of the gods. When someone brought you a big thermos of water when you were in the field, you'd have tears in your eyes and be so happy.

Water is awesome and is best drank from a garden hose.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

I can't stand it when autocorrect tries to correct my correctly-spelled word to another word. I mean come on, let it be. I won't tell your boss that you didn't correct my correctly spelled word to another word even if it was the better word.

Also AAAAARRGHHH why why why does my autocorrect pull in emails from my address book as potential corrections. Now I have an unending list of email address that appear instead of whatever I wanted and of course they are 10-20 characters long. I try to type "and" and it drops in "AndyVeeblefitzer702@penismail.com." It drives me loving nuts.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Mine likes to substitute "mourning" for "morning". I often don't catch it in time and it makes otherwise nice messages I send seem really dark.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bradzilla posted:

People who have slow hearing comprehension.

:): "What do you think of the color red?"
:geno:"Sorry?"
:sigh:"What do you think of--"
:geno:"Answer to statement."

So now you not only made me repeat myself(:ssj:) but also cut me off in the middle of my repeated sentence(:fuckoff:).

I'm like this, and I feel very self-conscious about it. My brain/thinking is very "slow" (for lack of a better term) and I have a very poor short-term memory, so it takes me a longer time than most people to process the things I hear. I can't understand the lyrics of most "fast" music I listen to (like a lot of pop or r&b) because it's too fast, for example.

Usually if I do the "immediately ask to repeat" thing, it's because I wasn't able to process part (if not all) of what you said and can't remember. I learned over time not to interrupt in the middle of the repeated question, but the reason why I used to do that is that the first part is what I didn't hear the first time, so after hearing the first few words of the question I'm finally able to mentally assemble the whole thing.

To be clear, the reason why people like me ask to hear the question a second time isn't because it wasn't loud enough the first time, but because, for whatever reason, they weren't able to mentally process or remember what you said.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Any attempt to make water "delicious" is loving awful too. I accidentally had some grape flavored water a while back and I almost threw up because it tastes like the bowel prep solution they make you drink ahead of colonoscopies.

I had to mix the super-strong pre-colonoscopy laxative with Sprite, and it permanently ruined Sprite for me. I can't taste it without remembering the vile way that medicine tasted after being mixed with it. God that was awful, I felt like I was going to die for hours.

You Are A Elf posted:

I've come across people like this for as long as I can remember and I can never understand how someone can have so much contempt and absolute vile hatred for such innocuous creatures. Even if say, a cat has done some incredibly minor harm in their life like a stray making GBS threads in some bushes on their property, or someone's cat who was unfamiliar with them swatted them because they were scared, it's never mild annoyance like "Gee, cats can be dicks sometimes," it's always vitriolic "gently caress CATS I loving HATE THEM AND WANT THEM ALL DEAD!"

Obviously, not everyone who dislikes cats is like this, but there are more vocal anti-cat shitheads out there than you think.

While I definitely wouldn't say "I hate cats" to someone who lost a pet cat (or anything indicating any dislike of them for that matter), we used to have a problem where our neighbor's cats would just kill every bird/small animal nearby and leave them lying around everywhere.

Obviously this isn't a problem for people who keep their cats indoors, but it seems unavoidable that the cats will murder a bunch of random animals if you let them outside.

Ytlaya has a new favorite as of 03:39 on Sep 25, 2016

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
if you're putting anything other than chili and/or nacho cheese on your hot dogs then you're doing it wrong

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Bill Dungsroman posted:

I can't stand it when autocorrect tries to correct my correctly-spelled word to another word. I mean come on, let it be. I won't tell your boss that you didn't correct my correctly spelled word to another word even if it was the better word.
My iPad is the worst with that because it randomly adds "a" in front of nouns even when the context makes no sense.

quote:

Also AAAAARRGHHH why why why does my autocorrect pull in emails from my address book as potential corrections. Now I have an unending list of email address that appear instead of whatever I wanted and of course they are 10-20 characters long. I try to type "and" and it drops in "AndyVeeblefitzer702@penismail.com." It drives me loving nuts.
This is the bane of my existence.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

When I text I use 'lmao' more than punctuation and yet every time i Swype 'lmao' my phone goes 'lau??? :downs:' first and it makes me batshit.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I do find it very cute when my phone thinks I meant to say duck :wotwot:

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Maybe this should go in unpopular opinions but...I'm peeving out man.

We have a bunch of newbies and a couple of them are huge comic book nerds, to the delight of a couple of my other coworkers, who like to pretend they are male stereotypes. They are actually the most ineffectual chest-beaters I have ever met with huge ego problems and it seems like everything gets filtered through their comic-book understanding of life.

Anyway, at minute 10 of lunch, the conversation about Goku vs. Superman got loving SERIOUS and the rest of us couldn't get them to shut the gently caress up about it so we could all enjoy the conversations we had been having previously.

So, peeved about how seriously adults get into nerd culture properties as if there was anything of value beyond escapist entertainment just like any other stupid thing average people consume.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ketchup?? On a hot dog?? How dare you soil the good name of balloons filled with pig anuses??

Man I could go for some pig anus balloon right now

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Facebook image macros (often taken as a screenshot from Twitter) where somebody obliterates a straw man and it's supposed to be an earth shattering moment. Like there's one going around where the writer just keeps dropping sick burns on a dumb All Lives Matter person and my feed is full of people just going "holy poo poo, mic drop!" and "say it again for the people in the back!" Incidentally I hate those phrases.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Bill Dungsroman posted:

My old phone had a bad habit of changing normal words into dirty ones. "I saw a duck", predictably, turned into one or two other phrases that brought up a lot of questions for the recipient.

Cute peeve: I have to go to the bathroom and my cat is sitting on me and I can't move her. She is too cute and I am very uncomfortable.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

cash crab posted:

Cute peeve: I have to go to the bathroom and my cat is sitting on me and I can't move her. She is too cute and I am very uncomfortable.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Every time I text love the second suggestion is Hewitt. I have never texted about jennifer, do enough people text about her that it needs to be the second suggestion after you?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Geokinesis posted:

Every time I text love the second suggestion is Hewitt. I have never texted about jennifer, do enough people text about her that it needs to be the second suggestion after you?

She hasn't even been in anything popular in like a decade

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I hate when people know I have problems with depression/anxiety and every time I turn down/cancel plans, they assume that's why... or, even worse, they try to use it to guilt me into hanging out. "Come on, I think it would be healthy for you to come! You should push yourself to be more social, maybe you'll feel better!" Wow ok pal thanks for assuming you know my mental state better than I do. I must be submitting to my depression, it couldn't be that I have to work super early tomorrow, I had a lousy day and I'm super loving exhausted, or that I just don't feel like doing whatever you feel like.

Unrelated, I also really hate that thing people do sometimes where instead of saying hello, excuse me, thank you or some other polite little phrase, they just soundlessly mouth it at you. What is the point of that? If you're already moving your lips, just expend the 2 extra calories it takes to push air through your mouth and say the words! I don't mean people who are on the phone, either... there is no reason for these people to try to be silent.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Software-related annoyances: Loading animations that give no indication of what it is working on. What was wrong with the old-fashioned progress bars? With those you could at least tell if it was getting stuck, and if so, on what part of the process so you could try and figure out what's wrong. The endless spinny circle things though don't tell you anything, and every time I think it's stuck and hit back, the page ends up finishing loading but i have to go through it all over again because I pushed back.

Also: software updates that break things and/or purposefully remove functionality. "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" is a cliche but I wish more people, software developers or anyone really, would follow it. That's not to say stop trying to add new features, but if I update something and have to learn a new way to do something I already could do prior to the update, it's annoying, even if the new way is "better".

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Murphy Brownback posted:

Software-related annoyances: Loading animations that give no indication of what it is working on. What was wrong with the old-fashioned progress bars? With those you could at least tell if it was getting stuck, and if so, on what part of the process so you could try and figure out what's wrong. The endless spinny circle things though don't tell you anything, and every time I think it's stuck and hit back, the page ends up finishing loading but i have to go through it all over again because I pushed back.

People (the average joes who aren't trying to troubleshoot, I mean) get more annoyed by loading times if they can see how slowly the process is going and how much more they have to go.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

People who just loooooove the smell of books. Old books, new books, book stores, etc. There are even candles and crap that tout themselves as having the new book smell. Book smell is decaying paper, rotting glue, and ink farts, with an optional side of dry mold and roach poop if it's a old used book. There, I said it, and I'd say it again if I had to.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
what i like is that you've found some small niche of society where apparently you've run into enough book-smell lauders that it's turned into a pet peeve

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
sometimes this thread evokes a sentiment similar to Rule 34, but with pet peeves

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
it's me i'm the person who gladly sniffs any book that's remotely yellowed or crispy

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Hardcordion posted:

People (the average joes who aren't trying to troubleshoot, I mean) get more annoyed by loading times if they can see how slowly the process is going and how much more they have to go.

Also, most of the time when a progress bar is "stuck" it's not actually stuck, it's just working on a large file or a long step, and the general inaccuracy of progress bars is just unable to correctly guess at the actual amount of progress being made. Since force-quitting and leaving your installation in an undefined state is basically the worst thing you can do in this situation, a progress bar and their normally-rapid feedback cycle is more of a detriment than a help.

Better to keep it vague; an animation and maybe a cycle of messages like, "hey we're still working, everything's cool, don't turn off the power or remove the memory card," is probably better for overall computer stability.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

People who steamroll you with their extremely long and detailed question, continuing to talk over you and refuse to acknowledge your response until they're finished.

"Hi, I wanted to know what time your office opened because I need to come in on Saturday because I have liver failure [inhale]-"
"Sure, we open at-"
"-but I know not everyone is open on Saturday so I wanted to call ahead because I'm gonna be busy later and I just wanted to make sure ahead of time that my room will be ready [inhale]-"
"Uh-huh, we open at-"
"-so that I wouldn't have to worry about it for the rest of the day."
"...We open at eight thirty."
"Do you open at eight thirty on Saturday too? Because some businesses don't open until later on weekends, or sometimes just Saturdays [inhale]-"
"Yes, same time on-"
"-and I don't want to show up and have you be closed because my Saturday is very busy for me, what time do you open on Saturday?"
"We're open at eight thirty every day of the week."
"Ok, and will my room be ready, because I have to-"
etc etc etc etc
You are my pet peeve. Shut up and let them finish speaking.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I use a swipe-ey keyboard thing (because I have huge dumb hands and it's easier to use when I don't have physical keys for tactile feedback), and for some reason my last phone constantly wanted to write 'abd' instead of 'and'. I had never used the word 'abd' before, was only vaguely aware that it WAS a word, constantly corrected it to 'and' every time for a year, and STILL every time I moved my finger through A-N-D, if I didn't get the movement just right my phone was like "OH YOU MUST MEAN ABD, THAT MAKES SENSE, ABD IT IS THEN."
My phone's swipe thingy used to be really good, but there was an update or something at some point and now it's terrible. It used to handle acronyms, names, whatever. Now if I try to google "imdb <whatever>" I get "omen" every time.

Nettles Coterie posted:

Unrelated, I also really hate that thing people do sometimes where instead of saying hello, excuse me, thank you or some other polite little phrase, they just soundlessly mouth it at you. What is the point of that? If you're already moving your lips, just expend the 2 extra calories it takes to push air through your mouth and say the words! I don't mean people who are on the phone, either... there is no reason for these people to try to be silent.
I do that sometimes and I have absolutely no idea why. Sorry, I guess.

Che Delilas posted:

Better to keep it vague; an animation and maybe a cycle of messages like, "hey we're still working, everything's cool, don't turn off the power or remove the memory card," is probably better for overall computer stability.
Better still to have the message actually tell you what step of the process it's on so if you know what you're doing you can tell how far along it is, and if it's taking longer than it should you have some idea of why.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Portmanteaus. They're not cute, they're not clever, they're not cluter.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Noctone posted:

sometimes this thread evokes a sentiment similar to Rule 34, but with pet peeves

You're not wrong.

One of my friends works at a winery in their wine tasting shop area and I'm fascinated by the stuff that drives her bananas. Tourists handle wine bottles the wrong way all the time! Other than storage, I didn't know there was a right way to pick up a wine bottle off a shelf. She probably listens to me and thinks, books are so much fun what's the harm in taking a sniff?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Magic Hate Ball posted:

it's me i'm the person who gladly sniffs any book that's remotely yellowed or crispy

Same but instead of books its asses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sex Falcon
Jun 4, 2013

:parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but it is the loving WORST