Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Well yeah, its a "pretty big" job. And pretty good program. But LSU fans are also pretty delusional if they think they could get Tom Herman. He could have gone basically anywhere available last offseason.

You could make the argument that it's just as delusional for Houston fans to think they'll be able to retain him indefinitely as bigger jobs open up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Errr, LSU, A&M, and UT are basically the 3 programs that can land Herman that are anywhere near having an open job right now.

Well, USC probably could get a look if they went after him.

Short of a collapse A&M won't be up. Jury's still out on Texas, and Auburn might be a player.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

C. Everett Koop posted:

Short of a collapse A&M won't be up. Jury's still out on Texas, and Auburn might be a player.

A&M is a strange case. They started both 2015 and 2014 5-0 and lost 5 of their last 8.

I'm not counting Sumlin's job as safe yet and finishing 8-5 at this point probably gets him fired.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

kayakyakr posted:

A&M is a strange case. They started both 2015 and 2014 5-0 and lost 5 of their last 8.

I'm not counting Sumlin's job as safe yet and finishing 8-5 at this point probably gets him fired.

Tennessee, Bama and Ole Miss are the only games left on their schedule that should be competitive. Their defense is improved and it seems like they've fixed some of their offensive issues from last year. I think he will be fine.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Silly Burrito posted:

And LSU has no interest in Petrino, so we've got that going for us, which is nice.

Petrino has a $10,000,000 buyout, right?

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Who're the hot coaching names outside of Herman, Fleck, and Kiffin? Maybe LSU poaches one of the 50 former head coaches on the Alabama staff.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
gonna be exiting when literally every coach in the SEC is a former Bama assistant

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

NippleFloss posted:

Tennessee, Bama and Ole Miss are the only games left on their schedule that should be competitive. Their defense is improved and it seems like they've fixed some of their offensive issues from last year. I think he will be fine.

On the other hand, Trevor Knight.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
so LSU fans; you fired the guy for recruiting incredible players and fielding a shiiiiiiiiiiitttttttt offense and being a general on-field buffoon, this I understand.

Is it so easy to recruit Louisiana you are sure the next guy is just going to keep cleaning up? I'm not trying to be a dick and hell you might be better with top 20 classes and a functioning offense vs top 5 classes with just a defense, but I wonder

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Scionix posted:

so LSU fans; you fired the guy for recruiting incredible players and fielding a shiiiiiiiiiiitttttttt offense and being a general on-field buffoon, this I understand.

Is it so easy to recruit Louisiana you are sure the next guy is just going to keep cleaning up? I'm not trying to be a dick and hell you might be better with top 20 classes and a functioning offense vs top 5 classes with just a defense, but I wonder

Maybe? Probably? I mean, it's going to depend on the hire obviously, but pretty much every team in the SEC recruits well now, and even under Dinardo LSU did a good job of recruiting. There are definitely a lot of natural recruiting advantages at LSU so top 10-15 classes should be doable at least.

Whatever happens it will at least be different, which will be nice.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Scionix posted:

Louisiana is about #6 as a state in producing recruits, and highest in NFL players produced per capita. Their in-state recruits are more loyal than the recruits in places like Georgia, Virginia, and North Carolina, so the fact that LSU has no Power 5 competition in state is very relevant, and LSU's Houston presence is probably relevant as well.

That may the easiest place to recruit in the country along with USC and Ohio State.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

kayakyakr posted:

Nobody gets fired after the bowl game

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Yessss...he would possibly get fired before the bowl game in this scenario.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

Rich Rodriguez would like a word.

They fired him right after a bowl game because it screwed him out of $1mil of his buyout.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

General Dog posted:

OK, if we want to be pedantic about it, let's expand: 7-5 gets him fired. 8-4 may get him fired after a 5-0 start. Either scenario can lead to an 8-5 finish.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Scott Stricklin has been announced as Florida's new Athletic Director.

E: Holy moley Les Miles' buyout is... something.

FB Scoops posted:

There seems to be a lot of misconception about Les’ buyout from LSU, so I’ll attempt to clarify how it works.

Les’ contract runs through December 2019 (3 years, 3 months from now). By contract, if he is terminated, his buyout is paid out monthly over a period of time double the remaining term…thus, he’ll be paid out over 6 years, 6 months.

His stated buyout is $12.9 million; but by contract you reduce from that any amounts paid to him in this calendar year.

Les makes $4.3 million per year plus bonuses. Depending on what has already been paid in calendar 2016, that is what sets his buyout.

For illustrative purposes, let’s assume 9/12s have been paid, thus approximately $3.2 million.

So, his stated buyout was $12.9 million, less the $3.2 paid in 2016. Hence, Les will be paid approximately $9.7 million over the next 6 years, 6 months.

Assuming Les does not accept further work, he would receive approximately $125,000 / month for the next 6 years, 6 months.

To the extent he accepts any other job, the amount LSU owes would be reduced dollar for dollar.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

DJExile posted:

Scott Stricklin has been announced as Florida's new Athletic Director.

E: Holy moley Les Miles' buyout is... something.

Am I oversimplifying this or does this mean that if Miles took another job he'd be essentially working for free unless he gets paid more than 125,000 per month/$1.5M a year for the next six years?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://www.seccountry.com/lsu/repo...m_medium=Social

LSU to "gauge the interest" of Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Bob Stoops, because shooters gotta shoot.

I actually hope everyone with an opening does this. "Hi, Urban, I'm with Florida International University and I was wondering if you-hello?"

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Am I oversimplifying this or does this mean that if Miles took another job he'd be essentially working for free unless he gets paid more than 125,000 per month/$1.5M a year for the next six years?

No, if he took another job for $100k/mo ($1.2M/yr) LSU would only be on the hook to make up the $25k/mo difference.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

SeaborneClink posted:

No, if he took another job for $100k/mo ($1.2M/yr) LSU would only be on the hook to make up the $25k/mo difference.

Yeah it's this

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
I'm still not sold on Herman leaving UH, especially if the big 12 decides to expand and include Houston this year.

He's putting together some good teams and if they get into p5, why would you leave for a school with higher expectations in a much harder conference/division.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

MourningView posted:

LSU to "gauge the interest" of Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and Bob Stoops, because shooters gotta shoot.

I actually hope everyone with an opening does this. "Hi, Urban, I'm with Florida International University and I was wondering if you-hello?"

No joke, FIU is going to be legit in a few years. The amount of money being thrown around at that school in literally every department would blow you away. I wouldn't be surprised if they do go after someone like Les Miles to grow the program.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

MourningView posted:

I hope someone calls the wrong Stoops brother and we end up with Mike or Mark somehow making it to an in-person interview before someone goes "oh crap wrong Stoops, that's our bad,"

So, if Brian Kelly gets canned because of his weirdo fanbase, where does he land? Can he walk into another P5 job, or is it going to take some rehab at an FIU of sorts before then?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Sash! posted:

He makes very puzzling decisions at the worst times. Like yesterday. It's 4th and not too long, deep in Michigan territory with tons of time, trailing by 28 points and you waste a time out to kick a field goal? In what way did that make any sense?

Seeing Harbaugh's look of confusion and disgust at this move was the highlight of the game

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Neil Armbong posted:

I'm still not sold on Herman leaving UH, especially if the big 12 decides to expand and include Houston this year.

He's putting together some good teams and if they get into p5, why would you leave for a school with higher expectations in a much harder conference/division.

Houston is not getting a Big XII invite this year.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Neil Armbong posted:

Prestige.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

swickles posted:

No joke, FIU is going to be legit in a few years. The amount of money being thrown around at that school in literally every department would blow you away. I wouldn't be surprised if they do go after someone like Les Miles to grow the program.

If this worked Kentucky would be an SEC powerhouse instead of a joke.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
If I were Les with that buyout I wouldn't go back to work.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

swickles posted:

FIU is a state-system university in a state run by someone who hates spending money on education and it's basically a commuter school. Where the hell are they getting all this money?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

skaboomizzy posted:

FIU is a state-system university in a state run by someone who hates spending money on education and it's basically a commuter school. Where the hell are they getting all this money?

The school expanded and became really big like in the 90s and early 00s, so I imagine they are starting to reap alumni donations. They also just built a med school and were able to poach a ton of talent from UM and secure a ton of affiliates. Other than that, I am not sure where else they are getting the money, but now I would say that there school facilities and faculty are better than UM, which is crazy because (at least in medicine) UM was seen as impossible to dethrone as the place with the most talent in south Florida.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

TheGreyGhost posted:

So, if Brian Kelly gets canned because of his weirdo fanbase, where does he land? Can he walk into another P5 job, or is it going to take some rehab at an FIU of sorts before then?

He'd go to a P5 team pretty easily.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SeaborneClink posted:

Yeah, but it also means he could just work for a pittance and make LSU pay his salary. Literally any job he takes he's making a bare minimum of $1.25M/yr the next six years. He could just go work for the Youngstown State island of fired coaches, get paid minimum wage for a low stress job, and have LSU make up the 1.24M/yr difference.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

In fact stuff coming out recently indicates the Oklahoma board of regents aren't all on board with expansion and have told Boren to shut his mouth.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

kayakyakr posted:

Yeah, it's a long shot for sure, that's why I qualified with an if.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

swickles posted:

FIU needs a coach willing to stay a decade or so, to really build it up, and hell, Miles is getting old. Wouldn't be the worst place to retire. Not happening, of course.

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

DJExile posted:

He'd go to a P5 team pretty easily.
I'd gladly scissorlift sacrifice at least one undergrad a year to bring Kelly to LSU.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
FIU dumping Cristobal is one of the dumber coaching decisions in recent history

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If any mid-major Florida school was going to make the move to the big time, I would have thought they'd do it while the big three Florida schools were down. From the mid-2000's until like, this year, you had a situation where every year, Miami and either UF or FSU was down. Now, Miami and UF are both on the rise and FSU is remaining dominant and I can't see any other Florida football programs making much headway in recruiting or general hype.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

swickles posted:

Plus isn't FIU like one of the largest university's in the hemisphere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Spintzel posted:

Plus isn't FIU like one of the largest university's in the hemisphere?

FIU is pretty large, but you might be thinking of UCF, which is the largest in the country.

• Locked thread