Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Personally I'm mad that earth exists at all in real life! Life ain't goin great folks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Can't wait for Mass Effect 4.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Alain Post posted:

Can't wait for Mass Effect 4.

Me too. Unfortunately we're getting Mass Effect: Andromeda instead.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Of all the dumb arguments I've seen in this thread, this one is the dumbest.

All Shep does is wander around asking people to help liberate earth. The focus is not on the reapers. It is on earth. It's actually somewhat galling how he is asking all these other worlds for help when they are having just as bad a time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waltzing Along posted:

All Shep does is wander around asking people to help liberate earth. The focus is not on the reapers. It is on earth. It's actually somewhat galling how he is asking all these other worlds for help when they are having just as bad a time.

People repeatedly bring this up in the game, though.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

yeah its real dumb

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The entire goal of the first act of the game is to help out the Krogan and the Turian defense before they help out with Earth. The "why is Shep being so earth-centric" thing is not ignored.

e) this would be like criticizing ME1 because the idea that the Council should drop everything because Shepard had a Space Vision is a stupid idea, except that the game points out that it's a stupid idea and the Council doesn't actually end up doing that.

Feels Villeneuve fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 26, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I wish there was an option to agree that the Council has no reason to believe you because they really don't.

Tangentially, I always thought it would be fun (and impossible) to play a politically savvy shep who just loves bureaucracy and at first hates all this specops bullshit because her career was meant to be about sucking up to ambassadors and approving the space F35

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Alain Post posted:

Can't wait for Mass Effect 2b.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Strategic Tea posted:

I wish there was an option to agree that the Council has no reason to believe you because they really don't.

Tangentially, I always thought it would be fun (and impossible) to play a politically savvy shep who just loves bureaucracy and at first hates all this specops bullshit because her career was meant to be about sucking up to ambassadors and approving the space F35

That would be cool if only because you'd have somewhat of a reason to put Udina in charge at the end

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Welp. That's it, I'll try to RP a desk jockey Shepard when I get to do another playthrough. Engineer seems the nerdiest class but I think Adept (no guns) could be fine too.

Now I wonder if this laptop can run these games...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Lt. Danger posted:

At this point we're looking for reasons to be mad at the game, when the original argument was "ME3 makes everything about Earth". It doesn't.
Okay I can see that this is a weird hill that you've chosen to die on but, no, the original statement wasn't that everything was about Earth, but that there was an in-game focus on taking Earth back -- which there was, contextually and substantially -- and that it fell flat.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 27, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It makes sense for Earth to be more important to the main character because the audience is from Earth. People aren't going to get invested in the stakes if the conflict is based around Thessia or *checks wiki* Klencory.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

2house2fly posted:

It makes sense for Earth to be more important to the main character because the audience is from Earth. People aren't going to get invested in the stakes if the conflict is based around Thessia or *checks wiki* Klencory.

Oh, I dunno. It's Mass Effect Earth, not my Earth. I spent a lot more time on the Citadel and had more emotional attachment to it than I did to Future Vancouver and the ruins of London

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Whatever planet the stripper-jedi-drow chicks were from is obviously closest to the hearts of Bioware's core fanbase.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

2house2fly posted:

Actually, no it doesn't. The main character is only from earth 1/3 of the time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hell you only see Earth in game for like 20 minutes in game 3. You probably have more attachment to the citadel itself.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

As someone who lives in Vancouver let me say that watching it blown up was a lot more fun than saving it.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

Kibayasu posted:

Me too. Unfortunately we're getting Mass Effect: Andromeda instead.

Unironically looking forward to it though. Im kinda a sucker for Bioware games and even though DA;I was kinda a dud i still have hopes that Andromeda will at least be decent.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Kibayasu posted:

As someone who lives in Vancouver let me say that watching it blown up was a lot more fun than saving it.

As someone who lives in London let me say that they didn't sell the Reaper devastation hard enough.

Alain Post posted:

The entire goal of the first act of the game is to help out the Krogan and the Turian defense before they help out with Earth. The "why is Shep being so earth-centric" thing is not ignored.

Come on son, you are explicitly helping them so they'll put BOOTS ON THE GROUND to help Earth right after.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

BrianWilly posted:

Okay I can see that this is a weird hill that you've chosen to die on but, no, the original statement wasn't that everything was about Earth, but that there was an in-game focus on taking Earth back -- which there was, contextually and substantially -- and that it fell flat.

Nice catchphrase bro

There is no focus on Earth and I don't know why you say that there is. Earth is literally mentioned 10 times outside of the two missions set on Earth and the scene on the Citadel explaining why the Citadel can't drop everything to fight for Earth. There are just about more missions that don't include Earth at all than missions that do, even as a throwaway line. I can list the mentions if you really want.

The Crucible on the other hand gets updated almost every mission, as Hackett explains how whatever assets you recovered will help with the Prothean device, and several times the game cuts away to show progress on the Crucible in a cutscene. It's what Shepard and other characters reference first as Shepard's objective throughout the game:

quote:

DALATRASS: We can provide you our very best scientists to build the Crucible... and the full support of our fleets.

quote:

SHEPARD: The dalatrass offered me a deal: her support for the Crucible Project if I made sure the cure didn't work.

quote:

PRIMARCH: The turian hierarchy will stand with humanity against the Reapers... To that end, several dry-dock ships are ready to help build the Crucible. Garrus will coordinate them.

quote:

SHEPARD: The quarians are already mobilized for relief efforts, and their techs are helping with construction of the Crucible.

Similarly the genophage, Rannoch and Cerberus dominate within their sections of the game.

The reason I push this is because goons have a habit of making vague or inaccurate criticisms about the game and with respect I think it's because the arguments are fronts for deeper concerns that are more emotional than logical. The text doesn't support the idea that ME3 focuses on Earth to the detriment of the wider universe, because Earth is at best a background element as the game busily resolves all outstanding plot hooks: the genophage, Rannoch, Cerberus, asari dominance, personal arcs for former squadmates. This is why we've now cornered ourselves into issuing weird ultimatums like "Earth cannot be involved in the Reaper war" and "the human characters in the game should treat the invasion of Earth with casual indifference" in order to keep the criticism going.

I think the actual complaint is that Mass Effect is not a ready-built Expanded Universe into which fans can immerse themselves forever, but a finite backdrop to a finite story - Casey Hudson's Master Slaves treatment, the original proposal for Bioware's space IP. Mass Effect is 'supposed' to be about alien races and alien societies, not Earth, and involving Earth in the main plot in any sense is objectionable - but in reality Mass Effect was always about us humans and how we relate to technology and transience, and the aliens were only ever scenery.

Vitamin P posted:

Come on son, you are explicitly helping them so they'll put BOOTS ON THE GROUND to help Earth right after.

As above, the deal is for turians to help with the Crucible project. The primarch promises the turians will fight to retake Earth when the time comes, i.e. when the Crucible is finished and ready to destroy the Reapers, who are at Earth.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Lt. Danger posted:

. There are just about more missions that don't include Earth at all than missions that do, even as a throwaway line. I can list the mentions if you really want.

Uh...if a game that's supposed to be focused on saving the whole galaxy devotes 51% of its missions to worrying about or fighting for one of thousands of planets, I think we can safely say it has an unhealthy focus on that place.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Uh...if a game that's supposed to be focused on saving the whole galaxy devotes 51% of its missions to worrying about or fighting for one of thousands of planets, I think we can safely say it has an unhealthy focus on that place.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear: only 2 missions are actually about fighting on or for Earth (the first and the last), the rest are missions in which a character says the word "Earth" at least once. An example would be how in the Menae mission, Liara asks if what's happening on Palaven is what it was like on Earth. Being generous, I've counted that as a mention of Earth.

Lt. Danger fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 27, 2016

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Nice catchphrase bro

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
Mass Effect 3: Nice catchphrase bro

Mass Effect Andromeda will be all about acceptable catchphrases

Nielsen
Jun 12, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

I think the actual complaint is that Mass Effect is not a ready-built Expanded Universe into which fans can immerse themselves forever, but a finite backdrop to a finite story - Casey Hudson's Master Slaves treatment, the original proposal for Bioware's space IP. Mass Effect is 'supposed' to be about alien races and alien societies, not Earth, and involving Earth in the main plot in any sense is objectionable - but in reality Mass Effect was always about us humans and how we relate to technology and transience, and the aliens were only ever scenery.

Whether Mass Effect is and was always about us humans and how we relate to X isn't very relevant to the argument about whether ME3 was Earth centric by featuring Earth "too much". Most if not all SF is like this with or without Earth featured and in ME the alien races are each a bunch of stereotypes for the player to interact with and to bounce ideas off of. Because it features humans doesn't mean going to Earth is a given or really required. A lot of it was marketing + "something to fight over" as if you hadn't been paying attention to the previous 2 games.

Earth centric or not, I don't really care, the fans themselves might be to blame because people were clamoring to see Earth... if you really wanted to see it then what you got must've been disappointing because the concrete rubble you fought in looked little like London tbh, can't speak for SF Vancouver, but it already looks pretty SF. Also the marketing and the follow up with the game reminds me heavily of Halo 2, a lot of trailers focused intently on the fight for Earth and then you get the game and it's 2 missions on Earth and you go away to sort out other business.

Also to dismiss the issues with the game as "emotional" lol. The very rational component to it namely: ME 3 is garbage because of myriad reasons most egregious wrt the story that it introduces deus ex machina in the worst way possible and is just a very unsatisfying conclusion.
The game is also tailored to people entering last minute which also detracts a lot... not to mention it has Jessica Chobot in for w/e reason. (also the 3 colour / options ending is pretty much nicked from Asimov's Foundation trilogy and the fate of Gaia / the Milky Way)

I'd love to see you rationalize on why you think the ending was a satisfying conclusion both thematically and in a literal sense because that sounds pretty foreign to me.

Trigger Warning: Mass Effect 3

Nielsen fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 27, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still don't know why the reapers didn't just attack the citadel earlier. Sovereign nearly wiped out the council fleet and took a chunk out of the systems alliance fleet before going down. And by mass effect 3 the reapers had gone from being tough but beatable to nigh indestructible, yet they only attack the citadel months down the line.

Also the Clint mansell soundtrack is emotionally manipulative junk that sounds nothing like the synthesizer tracks from the first two games.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 27, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Nielsen posted:

I'd love to see you rationalize on why you think the ending was a satisfying conclusion both thematically and in a literal sense because that sounds pretty foreign to me.

He did, for about 30 hours: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlo5Y0CQpzG5i1slBdiQZYQTR6NbY8VhJ

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also the Clint mansell soundtrack is emotionally manipulative junk that sounds nothing like the synthesizer tracks from the first two games.

*screeches discordantly as the normandy's engines are blown out*

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It's been 1666 days from ME3's launch until today and you couldn't tell me this thread looks any different from day 666

appropriate, really

I look forward to seeing day 1666 of Andromeda :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 27, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Nielsen posted:

The game is also tailored to people entering last minute which also detracts a lot... not to mention it has Jessica Chobot in for w/e reason. (also the 3 colour / options ending is pretty much nicked from Asimov's Foundation trilogy and the fate of Gaia / the Milky Way)

The Chobot thing always confused me

Like the only reason I can think for giving a non-actor a role that's more than a cameo is that you want the presence of that person to draw in more fans

but who looked at this game and was like "oh score, Chobot's in it, I'm gonna buy it now!"

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Pattonesque posted:

The Chobot thing always confused me

Like the only reason I can think for giving a non-actor a role that's more than a cameo is that you want the presence of that person to draw in more fans

but who looked at this game and was like "oh score, Chobot's in it, I'm gonna buy it now!"

they're literally bringing in 2 randos from the internet for Andromeda, so there's clearly a reason you aren't seeing

like, auditions and flying them out to the studio to do voicework and everything

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Psion posted:

they're literally bringing in 2 randos from the internet for Andromeda, so there's clearly a reason you aren't seeing

like, auditions and flying them out to the studio to do voicework and everything

Those are just one-scene cameos and they're part of a fan contest, which is a totally understandable thing for like a marketing team to do

Allers had her own subplot and was a romance option. It's strange is all

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think the idea is that whoever you get the journalist from can do like, behind-the-scenes blurbs about how voice acting gets done for a video game, etc, which are publicity.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Allers just wanted to report on the reaping of human rectal areas between the battle-tits, because Emily Wong was killed on a freaking twitter page.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Nielsen posted:

Also to dismiss the issues with the game as "emotional" lol

I wasn't dismissing the complaints, I was saying they're based on people's gut reactions to the game rather than the actual text itself.

"ME3 focuses too much on Earth" isn't supported by the text - we can go through the game and count the number of times Earth is mentioned even tangentially, and it's not many - but obviously Gato, BrianWilly etc. feel that it is true, because they said it. I think they feel this way because ME3 is when it becomes explicit that the Mass Effect series isn't about discovering "alien worlds and alien societies", but resolving Casey Hudson's existential angst. Taking the marketing at its word and blaming Bioware for mainstreaming their franchise with a standard save-Earth plot is a way to explain that feeling of disconnect, even though it isn't literally true.

This isn't true of all complaints but usually posters forgo text-based criticism in favour of hand-wringing over deus ex machinas, IP management and pretentious writers.

e: like there's nothing wrong with personally preferring alien worlds and societies to Hudson's daddy issues, but that's the criticism to be made - not that Earth overshadows them or whatever

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Just so you all know, Lt. Danger has manually inputted the entire text of all three games into a .txt document. This is how he knows how often any word pops up. ctrl + f, "earth"

:words:

What I would like to know is how often these words show up in the text so I can figure out what the subtext of the story is:

1 - fart
2 - space
3 - bros
4 - sex
5 - autist
6 - sperglord
7 - synthesis
8 - sex robot

Thanks. I'll check back periodically for an update.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
"Is Mass Effect 3 Good?" is the most exhausting debate in recorded history and it will never, ever end

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Pattonesque posted:

"Is Mass Effect 3 Good?" is the most exhausting debate in recorded history and it will never, ever end

No, the debate is over why it's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mass Effect 3 is bad because they removed all the interesting parts of the combat (and not just on normal difficulty like the other games).

Push button something awesome happens. Doesn't matter which and the cooldown is 0.5 seconds.

Mass Effect 3 hates meaningful choices.

• Locked thread