Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

nooneofconsequence posted:

Are our airports really that bad?
LGA specifically is a notoriously bad airport, both because it sucks and because a huge amount of traffic goes through it, so there are lot of people that get to experience the suck.

There's a plan in place to demolish it and redo it within the next 5 years, and then everyone will complain about Newark or DFW instead.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Nobody gives a gently caress about online polls from dying media outlets, so, no
Nobody should ever give a gently caress about online polls because the sampling bias makes them worthless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Steve2911 posted:

Watched some of this and got an actual, real headache whenever he opened his mouth. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

I only made it through due to regular distraction by kitten. It was one of the most simultaneously horrifying and hilarious things I've ever seen.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

OneEightHundred posted:

Nobody should ever give a gently caress about online polls because the sampling bias makes them worthless.

Needless to say, Trump's Twitter is loudly boasting about online polls that show him winning, likely due to a bumrush by folks from /r/the_donald.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Young Freud posted:

The Tu-95 is a prop plane based of the Russian's infamous copy of the B-29, where they even replicated the bullet holes in the deck because they never saw one until one crash-landed near the end of WW2. It's also smaller, it's ordnance load is less than half that of the B-52.

For an even more lopsided comparison, there are more B-2 stealth bombers, the last heavy strategic bomber in American active service (about 20), than there are of the last Russian strategic bomber, Tu-160 Blackjack, with 16 total airframes in Russian service but fewer that are still airworthy. And the Blackjack is simply a Soviet-era copy of the American B-1 bomber, which 62 are in active duty service.

tl;dr Russia's bombers are a generation behind and less quantity than comparable American strategic aircraft.

Not only that, but the US is going soon be building another strategic bomber, the B-21 (which they really should have named the B-3). It looks like they're taking all of the lessons learned from existing stealth aircraft and building a cheaper B-2.

The Blackjack's not really a copy of the B-1, and it is significantly larger. I mean sure they look similar, but this is more of an example of convergent design than it is a copy.

Also Russia's attempts at making a F-22 competitor have thus far been a bit of a shitshow. The PAK-FA was being jointly developed with India, but it is looking like India's getting cold feet.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 27, 2016

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Concordat posted:

Not only that, but the US is going soon be building another strategic bomber, the B-21 (which they really should have named the B-3). It looks like they're taking all of the lessons learned from existing stealth aircraft and building a cheaper B-2.

The Blackjack's not really a copy of the B-1, and it is significantly larger. I mean sure they look similar, but this is more of an example of convergent design that copying.

Also Russia's attempts at making a F-22 competitor have thus far been a bit of a shitshow. The PAK-FA was being jointly developed with India, but it is looking like India's getting cold feet.

The F22 is a giant waste of money, mind; but yes.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

You're thinking of the F-35 program. That thing's set records for being a giant waste of money.

More expensive than the Interstate Highway System, the Apollo Program, the Space Shuttle program, and the International Space Station combined

Concordat fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 27, 2016

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Concordat posted:

You're thinking of the F-35. That thing's set records for being a giant waste of money.

Pretty sure F-22 was considered that before F-35 set a new standard in financial awfulness.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Concordat posted:

You're thinking of the F-35. That thing's set records for being a giant waste of money.

They're both massive wastes of money, as it turns out.

The f-35 prolly more so at this point because we're loving stuck with it, while the Air Force was more or less able to slowly kill off the F-22 program because, well, they don't really need or want it.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 27, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Pretty sure F-22 was considered that before F-35 set a new standard in financial awfulness.

Correct. Turns out it's a steal compared to the F-35.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They're both massive wastes of money, as it turns out.

The f-35 prolly more so at this point because we're loving stuck with it, while the Air Force was more or less able to slowly kill off the F-22 program because, well, they don't really need or want it.

Just now I looked it up, and the F-35 program is more expensive than the Interstate Highway System, the Apollo program, the Space Shuttle program, and the International Space Station combined.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 27, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Next time they need to bring 'if you interrupt at any point, the clock resets automatically' as a blanket rule.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Concordat posted:

Correct. Turns out it's a steal compared to the F-35.

Just now I looked it up, and the F-35 program is more expensive than the Interstate Highway System, the Apollo program, the Space Shuttle program, and the International Space Station combined.

My favorite part of the F-35 is that STVOL feature the marine version has that bungled up lots of other things for the non-STVOL is also causing us an expensive redesign on their carrier's because, lol, the drat jets melt the landing/take off surfaces. Oh! And the F35 doesn't play nice with our multi-billion dollar new carrier launchers because their fuel tanks drag on take off.

But yeah, the F-35 Program is absolutely loving hilariously bad, and we're stuck with it too because not only did we go all in, but we got our allies to go all in on it too.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The right wing is furious about Lester Holt. If you thought they got angry about Cindy Crowley, I think they're going to be howling for blood this time.

Their dipshit candidate is proven to be a dipshit. He's better than Hillary, and they themselves aren't stupid... so just world theory dictates that the moderator is a hack.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Am I premature in hoping for tears? I need some tears after watching that.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
What was Hillarys response to the stamina thing? missed it

speng31b
May 8, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'd do anything to see a Biden/Trump debate.

I'd pay per view this poo poo. Diamond Joe in full glory. I think this is fair. Outgoing VPs who aren't running for further office should be allowed to claim any debate as their own, like some weird political prima nocta.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Am I premature in hoping for tears? I need some tears after watching that.

Even assuming the perception that Clinton won holds, we're probably still in the "I'm not owned I'm not owned" phase.

dud root posted:

Basically, "You try being Secretary of State for a week, tough guy!"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dud root posted:

"Try standing for an 11 hour hearing." essentially

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

dud root posted:

Her response was to bring up her immense workload as Secretary of State, as well as the congressional hearing gauntlet she went through. It was a solid answer.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 27, 2016

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That was a hearing (what, like the 6th Benjamin Ghazi hearing right?) Where she not only weathered a grueling runtime, but clowned the guy behind it (Gowdi) so hard he was an internet joke for a week or so after.

It was a damned good answer that was supported by her international diplomacy and travel schedule as SecState.

That Trump didnt claw a BENGHAZI out of it was an amazing fumble.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

I feel like I just watched Steven Seagal fight Mike Tyson.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I remember actually crying with laughter when this happened because Biden just couldn't contain himself. It was such a perfect "This loving guy..."

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Chilichimp posted:

Their dipshit candidate is proven to be a dipshit. He's better than Hillary, and they themselves aren't stupid... so just world theory dictates that the moderator is a hack.
The moderator let our candidate just TALK. Horrible!

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

How much weight does Benghazi carry outside the already in the tank? I can see email or Clinton foundation getting traction but I have to imagine no one undecided is being pushed by Benghazi.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

That was a hearing (what, like the 6th Benjamin Ghazi hearing right?) Where she not only weathered a grueling runtime, but clowned the guy behind it (Gowdi) so hard he was an internet joke for a week or so after.

It was a damned good answer that was supported by her international diplomacy and travel schedule as SecState.

Technically, the whole thing was about the e-mail server. So she mentioned the e-mails twice in as an example of her fortitude while compared to Trump bringing it up once when he thought he had a sure zinger on his hands. It was ingenious because now her weakness is her strength.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
That debate was a fun loving watch. Hillary shut down Trump like a bank on sunday and it was hilarious. I hope the next one is even better.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Fenrir posted:

That debate was a fun loving watch. Hillary shut down Trump like a bank on sunday and it was hilarious. I hope the next one is even better.

The next one is the town hall debate with Anderson Cooper moderating. It has the potential to be better or at the very least on par with tonight and I can't wait

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Fenrir posted:

My hope that he dodges the debate, but they go on, so it's Hillary answering town hall questions for 90 minutes. It doesn't count toward equal time because the networks gave him a chance but he threw it away.

acejackson42
Mar 27, 2005

You didn't say what I think you said...

Concordat posted:

The Blackjack's not really a copy of the B-1, and it is significantly larger. I mean sure they look similar, but this is more of an example of convergent design than it is a copy.

Man, this is making me want to check out the Lightning thread in GBS... oh :(

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

OneEightHundred posted:

There's a plan in place to demolish it and redo it within the next 5 years, and then everyone will complain about Newark or DFW instead.
What's wrong with Newark International? It's a fine airport.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Hillary shut down Trump like a bank on sunday

Like a bank on Sunday...

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Nobody gives a gently caress about online polls from dying media outlets, so, no
Well...

The BBC posted:

Who won? Depends who you ask...
Posted at 2:18

A CNN/ORC poll has found that 62% of voters who watched the head-to-head thought Clinton came out on top, with just 27% giving the bout to Trump.

This is based on interviews with 521 registered voters chosen as part of a random national sample. But only 26% identified themselves as Republicans while 41% identified themselves as Democrats.

An informal CNBC poll on its website has found 61% of people thought Trump won, while 39% went for Clinton. Trump has tweeted the results, but as CNBC points out, the poll is "not scientific". Anyone, including outside the US, appears to be able to vote.

A post-debate survey by Public Policy Polling of 1,002 debate-watchers found that 51% of national voters thought Clinton won, with 40% choosing Trump and 9% undecided.

In other words, a lovely internet poll turned this blurb from "Clinton clear debate winner" to "Who won? Depends who you ask..."

Turns out asking the internet at large gets you a really stupid answer!

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
OK, let us us all just admit this was an abomination of a debate. So the initial rules were that each side got two minute to speak without interruption, and within the first two minutes it basically dissolved into crossfire. The Oscars have more stringent rules about bloviating.

If Lester Holt truly wanted wanted to keep it civil, they could have set up a situation where after each candidate got their two minutes the mic was muted.

Merv Griffin would have done a better a job of creating a game show about who should be America's next top Executive.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 27, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

thrakkorzog posted:

If Lester Holt truly wanted wanted to keep it civil, they could have set up a situation where after each candidate got their 2 minutes the mic was muted.

that's been proposed and shot down because the sides wouldn't agree on it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Like a bank on Sunday...

Not many bank branches are closed on Sundays anymore but the ones that are open are typically running at lower staffing and shorter hours.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

Not many bank branches are closed on Sundays anymore but the ones that are open are typically running at lower staffing and shorter hours.

Of course, I just was staggered by the extremely specific analogy

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

a cyberpunk goose posted:

Like a bank on Sunday...

FAUXTON posted:

They're never open on sundays where I live. Also it's from a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VTAj4yiKUc

Mike Patton posted:

I'll shut you down like a bank on a sunday...

speng31b
May 8, 2010

thrakkorzog posted:

OK, let us us all just admit this was an abomination of a debate. So the initial rules were that each side got two minute to speak without interruption, and within the first two minutes it basically dissolved into crossfire. The Oscars have more stringent rules about bloviating.

If Lester Holt truly wanted wanted to keep it civil, they could have set up a situation where after each candidate got their 2 minutes the mic was muted.

Merve Griffin would have done a better a job of creating a game show about who should be America's next top Executive.

The whole media narrative on the "purpose" of debates was framed in advance to be more about allowing candidates to "present themselves" than actual rule enforcement, fact checking, discussion of topics, etc. The media's lowered their own bar for moderation to avoid getting called out for bias by whoever, because it hurts them when the Republicans cry foul on moderation. It's easier to just let debates be what everyone wants them to be rather than try to enforce standards.

I'm not sure it really bothers me that much to be honest, it seems like good politicians will adapt to the new standards and won't be crushed by demagogues and bullies as everyone keeps predicting. It took Obama one debate to adjust to the "new rules", which I'd say were implicitly pioneered in the last election cycle, then he understood the game and crushed Romney.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 27, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

speng31b posted:

The whole media narrative on the "purpose" of debates was framed in advance to be more about allowing candidates to "present themselves" than actual rule enforcement, fact checking, discussion of topics, etc. The media's lowered their own bar for moderation to avoid getting called out for bias by whoever, because it hurts them when the Republicans cry foul on moderation. It's easier to just let debates be what everyone wants them to be rather than try to enforce standards.

Yeah well Trump presented himself all right.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Eiba posted:

Well...

In other words, a lovely internet poll turned this blurb from "Clinton clear debate winner" to "Who won? Depends who you ask..."

Turns out asking the internet at large gets you a really stupid answer!

Ehhh the one poll where he won was a lovely one, as it points out, and meanwhile a 10-point advantage is ballgame in electoral politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

DOMDOM posted:

gently caress the goon hivemind. This is the same groupthink that beat me into submission over dungeons and dragons 4.0 being good when in fact it was a pile of dogshit that has since been completely walked back.

What a time to be alive.

4e is awesome and was only walked back because 75% of roleplayers are unimaginative garbage dipshits like you, who suck and should be destroyed. Seriously, you think 5e was actually playtested or even thought of as anything more than a cheap cashout? Get hosed.

<crossposted from TG>

• Locked thread