Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I only use "barbecue" when I dig a hole in the dirt, cover a whole animal with leaves and coals, and eat it with my hands in the traditional fashion. Anything else is wrong.

Man, I feel like you're trying to be more pedantic, but now I'm hungry for pit bbq.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

worfquoter
Sep 24, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I only use "barbecue" when I dig a hole in the dirt, cover a whole animal with leaves and coals, and eat it with my hands in the traditional fashion. Anything else is wrong.

Sir, I have acted within the boundaries of Klingon law and tradition.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

worfquoter posted:

Sir, I have acted within the boundaries of Klingon law and tradition.

Is this what you made for dinner last night?

worfquoter
Sep 24, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Theophany posted:

Is this what you made for dinner last night?

I've an odd craving for the blood of a live Kolar beast.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Pizza-been tweaking with recipes and pretty happy with the result this time around, though the dough could have been stretched just a little more (12" shown for a 13" recipe).

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Did you cook it on that screen?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Did you cook it on that screen?

No, I cooked it on a baking steel and transferred it to the screen to cool. I found that when I put the pizza on a wood cutting board straight out of the oven that sometimes the bottom tends to get a little soggy from the steam.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
I made ricotta gnocchi with thyme, lemon zest, spinach, butter and parm. Next time I'm using a different pan to get more even browning. I love cast iron, but it has way too many hot spots.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Did you make the gnocchi or is that blue apron? :D

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

SMDFTB posted:

No, I cooked it on a baking steel and transferred it to the screen to cool. I found that when I put the pizza on a wood cutting board straight out of the oven that sometimes the bottom tends to get a little soggy from the steam.

It looks great. I have a screen that I've used to cook the pizza. Just curious.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Had a piece of hot smoked salmon (store bought, not pictured, sorry) and Chinese eggplant salad
(the "sauce" consists of soy sauce, sugar, black rice vinegar, chili-oil and water...and no, I didn't drink it in the end, it was there for dipping purposes only...also for dipping the salmon)
good stuff.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Sep 27, 2016

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Did you make the gnocchi or is that blue apron? :D

I made it. I used Gordon Ramsay's YouTube video to figure out what the dough should look like. The only gnocchi I've seen in local grocery stores are tiny little flavourless pellets.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Carrot soup (carrot, onion, garlic, chicken stock, cream, butter, salt and pepper), chicken and cauliflower bake (bechamel + old cheddar for the sauce, topped with mozzarella and panko crumbs), and the veggie mix is just a frozen bagged thing from M&M's meat market that I liked a bunch.

Photo courtesy of BF.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

I made it. I used Gordon Ramsay's YouTube video to figure out what the dough should look like. The only gnocchi I've seen in local grocery stores are tiny little flavourless pellets.

It looks good and not like store bought. I haven't made gnocchi in a while simply because of the labor required (as far as I remember) but yours makes me want to make it again.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Phil Moscowitz posted:

It looks good and not like store bought. I haven't made gnocchi in a while simply because of the labor required (as far as I remember) but yours makes me want to make it again.

Thanks! The recipe I used wasn't too bad actually, just riced potato, ricotta, thyme, an egg and flour to make the dough. Active cooking time was probably 20-30 minutes.

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest
I made some poke but not quite poke for dinner tonight:

Threw some tuna in the puddle machine at 110* with some toasted sesame seeds and a wee bit of ponzu sauce I made with lime and blood orange juice. Crusted with more sesame seeds and seared off. Quick pickled some cukes with sake and jalepenos. Sauteed some snap peas from the garden in sesame oil. Lamented the fact that my local Kroger carried neither sea beans or any dried seaweed product. Whipped up a yogurt/chili/garlic sauce because this is the continental US goddamnit and creamy/spicy sauce goes on EVERYTHING. Turned some leftover rice into crispy rice. Slopped it all on a platter and squeezed out the last of the finger limes my buddy smuggled back from his trip to japan on top. There's some avocado in there somewhere as well.

It was ~delicious~

franco
Jan 3, 2003
I'm sick as a dog today with a razor-blade throat, a head full of concrete and absolutely no appetite, but both this...

I made ricotta gnocchi with thyme, lemon zest, spinach, butter and parm.

...and this...

paraquat posted:

Chinese eggplant salad (the "sauce" consists of soy sauce, sugar, black rice vinegar, chili-oil and water)

...made me super-hungry against all the odds. That's some delicious looking/sounding stuff right there :love:

Also, paraquat, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, because you always make wonderful things, but I do get a giggle when you post something new as I get to guess if you've managed to incorporate spring onions in some way (could make it a drinking game). Can we be spring onion buddies? I think I am as in love with them as you are and I don't know anybody else who is :(

For content, I made brownies for a vegan friend (posted them in the vegan thread too) and they turned out tastier than most non-vegan ones I've ever had/made - who knew! They refused to come out of the tray neatly but were fluffy and fudgy in equal measure in the best way.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

paraquat posted:

Had a piece of hot smoked salmon (store bought, not pictured, sorry) and Chinese eggplant salad
(the "sauce" consists of soy sauce, sugar, black rice vinegar, chili-oil and water...and no, I didn't drink it in the end, it was there for dipping purposes only...also for dipping the salmon)
good stuff.

This is beautiful and you are crazy because I would have drank that sauce like immediately.

franco posted:

For content, I made brownies for a vegan friend (posted them in the vegan thread too) and they turned out tastier than most non-vegan ones I've ever had/made - who knew! They refused to come out of the tray neatly but were fluffy and fudgy in equal measure in the best way.

That is one sexy crumb. Recipe?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

franco posted:

Also, paraquat, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, because you always make wonderful things, but I do get a giggle when you post something new as I get to guess if you've managed to incorporate spring onions in some way (could make it a drinking game). Can we be spring onion buddies? I think I am as in love with them as you are and I don't know anybody else who is :(

Hey there spring onion buddy!

And yes, I hardly ever make a meal without spring onions. My dad actually makes fun of that: when I tell him what I ate and/or am planning to make, he patiently waits until I mention the spring onions and then he starts laughing.

I bet the brownies didn't need any spring onions though, nice :3:

Now, eat loads of spring onions and get well soon!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

This is beautiful and you are crazy because I would have drank that sauce like immediately.

Thanks and yes, you're right...but I got to confess I use that dipping sauce (normally without the water and cold) a lot... it's great with gyoza, or smoked salmon, all types of veggies, etcetera (I made the same dish with button mushrooms the next day, too good)

franco
Jan 3, 2003

That is one sexy crumb. Recipe?

This fella. I'm not much of a baker so this was nicely idiot-proof - measure everything, sift your dry stuff, mix in your wet stuff, bake, done.

paraquat posted:

Hey there spring onion buddy!

And yes, I hardly ever make a meal without spring onions. My dad actually makes fun of that: when I tell him what I ate and/or am planning to make, he patiently waits until I mention the spring onions and then he starts laughing.

I bet the brownies didn't need any spring onions though, nice :3:

Now, eat loads of spring onions and get well soon!

Double-giggle now that I know your dad teases you too haha! They are wonderful things (silly people throw away the tingly white/bulb part). Agreed that using them as a brownie garnish would be a bridge too far though. Thanks for the well wishes :)

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

It's funny about the vegan brownies--for like a year I was picking up these brownies as a post-work snack (until I decided to rein in the sugar) and a few months later, holding one and trying to remain strong, I finally noticed the "Vegan!" emblem on the packaging. Blew my mind, but I guess that says a lot about my sugar fix.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Pan pizza. Looks smaller than it is (14"). Messing around with my 50mm lens.

Crumb shot:

Bottom:

Could have used more grease on the bottom to really give that finger-lickin' goodness, but it was drat tasty.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

drat, that looks fantastic.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
That's a good lookin za

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I did sous-vide beef shortrib!

and I have leftovers for daaaaaays

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Not to diminish how great the shortrib look, but those green beans, wow. I've been on a green bean kick lately though.

greats
Sep 29, 2016
I'm going out for the weekend so I made some of my typical stir-fry and ate it without rice! Gotta down all those tendies and veggies somehow. It's got tenders, carrots, snow peas, and a serrano.

The marinade is made with:
light/dark soy sauce
fresh ground black pepper
white pepper
rice vinegar
corn starch
water

I cooked it with chili oil, garlic, xiaoxing cooking wine, and oyster sauce. Since it's spicy i had some hoppy beer to go with it :)

Usually i make this style of stir fry with chicken breasts since that's what i've usually got, but using tenders made it very easy to get nice and tender meat. Surprise surprise.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

Going back to Thailand in 6 weeks, and I needed some Thai food right now, so I made Khao Man Gai.

Can't wait to eat my way through Bangkok again.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

eine dose socken posted:

Can't wait to eat my way through Bangkok again.

lol

One night in BKK and the world's your oyster

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

Leek and potato soup/salmon and bean salad

(soup is leeks, elephant garlic, s&p, sauteed in butter, added few pounds of halved new potatoes, coated in mixture, added a bunch of garlic powder, half a can of Sapporo, tbsp of flour mixed with a little water, chicken stock for the rest of the liquid, cooked until potatoes were fork tender and then lightly mashed about half, finished with cream)

(salad is 4 salmon fillets browned in cast iron, pulled apart and added a couple cups of this bean/corn mix I like, felt like keeping it English so seasoned with Worcestershire sauce, dijon mustard, honey, salt and pepper).

The Doctor fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Oct 2, 2016

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Phil Moscowitz posted:

lol

One night in BKK and the world's your oyster

Chess is a great show.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I made some Korean foods because my friend and I wanted to get poo poo ripped on makgeolli and be classy about it.

Braised tofu, spicy cucumber, a Korean style salad, kimchi, pajeon, and a bowl of sundubu jjigae in the back that you can't really see.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
All of that loving rules, GF.

lovely picture but I've been marking hard scrambled eggs my entire life and I now see the error of my disgusting ways. I think I've p. much mastered these now, I don't add any creme fraiche or anything, just straight eggs scrambled in butter and finished with s&p. Bread from the farmer's market w/ jalapeno cream cheese, side of braised brussels sprouts and shrooms.

I really really want to make some preserves before the season is over. TO THE CANNING THREAD.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Why are they so white, is it just the lighting? :stare:

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003
I've been working on my buttermilk biscuits.

This recipe I use is almost exactly this recipe, except mine calls for another half cup of buttermilk. It's a super easy recipe and the only downfall of making your own biscuits is the clean up time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d348FGXomg0

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

beerinator posted:

I've been working on my buttermilk biscuits.

This recipe I use is almost exactly this recipe, except mine calls for another half cup of buttermilk. It's a super easy recipe and the only downfall of making your own biscuits is the clean up time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d348FGXomg0

I would soak those in my runny yolks and mop up grits and debris with them all night

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib

MiddleOne posted:

Why are they so white, is it just the lighting? :stare:

It's just the lighting. Toast also looks untoasted.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
A terribly color balanced photo but a stonking delicious bowl of linguica spinach soup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greats
Sep 29, 2016
I really wanted some diverse flavors in a meal, so I made chicken jalfrezi, and served it with freshly made chapatis, key lime yogurt, pickles, and pale ale :)

poofing chapatis... it's really hard to catch a fully poofed one on camera >_< i made 2 dozen so i'll have enough for the whole week

here's my prepped ingredients...
the marinade sauce i made for the chicken breast cubes contains:
homemade habenaro salsa, coarse ground black pepper, sea salt, red chili powder (lal mirch), tumeric, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, ghee, white cooking wine, garam masala, water, minced habenaros, and a chopped serrano

browning the onion masala, along with the cooked garlic and tempered whole spices. Once that's done, i added the diced tomatoes and turned them to sauce

i cooked the chicken with all the marinade, partially covered and partially uncovered until fully cooked. Next I add veggies, more garam masala, some heavy cream, and simmer for some time, then it's finally done

• Locked thread